Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1279 Talkback: Comic Talk

Comments

• Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    edited September 2012
    Oh...and the 'Dredd Case Files Vol.1' has sold out in the US.
    http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,37054.0.html

Not all doom and gloom.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    The 1st 40 minutes appears to be a "looking forward to...." episode rather than a "Comic Talk"

Flint's V_Mail brings up a point that's been sticking in my craw for over a year. In previous incarnations, CGS would be all over any comic movie to hit the screens. Instead, we're met with apathy and real life excuses. I agree that a "geek cred" shouldn't be revoked if you are a citizen who's just ingesting pop culture at your leisure. But this is CGS. You were at one time the foremost podcast on comic book culture, but since a certain geek left, it's been the farm league. It really has. When's the last time there was a full studio? When's the last time more than three episodes were produced a week? Where's book of the month? Where's the top five lists? Where's the spinoffs promised in the summer of 2011? This is a comic book movie currently at 85% on rottentomatoes, and no one's interested? I'm saddened, I truly am. Radio, no matter how it's distributed is a habitual medium...
  • Options
    abuddah said:

The 1st 40 minutes appears to be a "looking forward to...." episode rather than a "Comic Talk"

Flint's V_Mail brings up a point that's been sticking in my craw for over a year. In previous incarnations, CGS would be all over any comic movie to hit the screens. Instead, we're met with apathy and real life excuses. I agree that a "geek cred" shouldn't be revoked if you are a citizen who's just ingesting pop culture at your leisure. But this is CGS. You were at one time the foremost podcast on comic book culture, but since a certain geek left, it's been the farm league. It really has. When's the last time there was a full studio? When's the last time more than three episodes were produced a week? Where's book of the month? Where's the top five lists? Where's the spinoffs promised in the summer of 2011? This is a comic book movie currently at 85% on rottentomatoes, and no one's interested? I'm saddened, I truly am. Radio, no matter how it's distributed is a habitual medium...

I agree...especially when one 'geek' says stuff like...you can always wait to see it on tv!!!!
  • Options
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
    Tomatometer 18%....Audience 31%

The Amazing Spiderman
    Tomatometer 72%....Audience 81%

Green Lantern
    Tomatometer 26%....Audience 47%

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    Tomatometer 37%....Audience 55%

Fantastic Four
    Tomatometer 27%....Audience 57%

Spiderman 3
    Tomatometer 63%....Audience 54%

DREDD 3D
    Tomatometer 76%....Audience 85%

For an 'R' rated movie Dredd is up there with the best of them. And I have to agree with Abuddah...a comic book movie like Dredd to get so much positive buzz and reviews that the Geeks were going to overlook it...is a disgrace for a comicbook podcast.

You can have all the excuses you want...don't have time, no money...but they did manage to have 'time' and 'money' to go see some real sub-par shitty comicbook movies. I bet no-one waited to see Dark Knight or Avengers or even the new Spiderman.

EMPIRE magazine has Dredd as the 7th greatest comic book character in a top 50 of the greatest. Ghost Rider doesn't even appear on the list. IGN even ranked Dredd as 35th out of 100 in a list dominated by superheroes.

It is bad form not to have a review episode or at least a bit of intro to Dredd knowing the movie was coming out.

Matt will love this movie for it's hardcore edge. If you read this matt...try and see it before it disappears from the theater...you'll be doing yourself a disservice waiting for it on DVD...or...*shudder*...waiting for it to come to TV.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    abuddah said:

Now if the "certain geek left" is the person I am thinking of I will say I have enjoyed the show way more since that person left. As far as Book of the Month,people on the forums have tried to start it up with the listeners. But it didn't seem to last long. Maybe cause it seemed like very few people were doing it. At least with me I have enjoyed the episodes more since Pants took over. I liked Deemer but the last months he was on regularly it seemed like he was burnt out and half the time he rarely said anything. Pants has brought a new energy to the show.

• Options
    Matt, have you read any dredd previously?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    and what about those Asterix movies??? or Blueberry, Largo Winch,etc.... ;)
  • Options
    Thise Asterix movies are incredible. Depardieu is a perfect Obelix and Monica Belucci as Cleopatra...inspired. Shame you can't get them in the US. I usually have to order of Amazon UK...and I don't speak a word of french!!!!!
  • Options

'Day of Chaos'. Amazing.

Judge force depleted. Law and order in total chaos. Dark Judges loose. PJ Maybe loose. And the city reduced from 400 million to 50 million in population.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Not yet. I'm looking to get them through the Casefiles.

M

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Thise Asterix movies are incredible. Depardieu is a perfect Obelix and Monica Belucci as Cleopatra...inspired. Shame you can't get them in the US. I usually have to order of Amazon UK...and I don't speak a word of french!!!!!

>:D<

• Options
    David_D said:

It looks like it is a good movie, and I am not saying it is not deserving of attention and buzz.

But in my opinion, in this and other threads, I feel like the 2000AD fans are taking this a little bit personally. I get you wanting there to be enthusiasm for the thing you are excited for, and that is a part of fandom. And that is great.

But I don't think it is some sort of shame or new low if CGS has not got to this comic book movie yet. Another change from the past? There are a LOT of comic book movies to get to these days. A lot more than there used to be. Whether Dredd is got to sooner or later, it'll be okay. Even back in there most active days CGS did not get to every comic book movie. And that was back when there were less to get to. And given how few of the guys read 2000AD, as far as I know, it is not that surprising. A Dredd movie might not have been a priority for them five years ago, either.

September is that time of year, especially, where there is a lot of things to get to. (Which is probably why, as Mike has pointed out, this time of year is historically a down time for movie releases). And of course, as with every part of comics and comics fandom, there are going to be times that something is huge and an imperative to you, but is not the case to some of your fellow fans. If they were a 2000AD show and they weren't seeing it, or primcipally a comics movie podcast and not seeing it, then I, too, would cry foul. But as CGS has always covered a wide range, that means that some things slip through or get saved for later.

I can agree with some of this and disagree with other parts. It's not as if Dredd and 2000ad are 'minor' influences on the American comic book market...it's huge. And as you can list the movies the geeks have reviewed and shelled out cash and their time for...a lot are subpar. If this was the Stallone version...I'd tell 'em to skip it. But it's not.

'Dredd 3d' is NOT something that should be 'slipping through the cracks' for a podcast that's called 'ComicGeekSpeak'.

It's not personal...just disappointing. I still enjoy the show...and Pants is doing an excellent job.

• Options
    edited September 2012

>:D<

Monica Belucci as Cleopatra = HOT!!!!

The latest Asterix flick has them going to Britain. Catherine Deneuve plays the Queen.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Matt said:

Okay, I'm going to respond based on me and NOT CGS:

I'm getting immensely tired of the complaints about the current incarnation of the show verses 5 years ago. It's not the same, we aren't the same, the world isn't the same! I wish the old crew, feel, & time was still the current status quo, but its not.

In 7 years I bet the complainers aren't the same either. I've got more obligations, more expenses, and a lot less time for things I enjoy.

Now, I'm sure we can bring back all the segments from the past, but I'm betting attendance will be low or high, but with less enthusiasm. I loved the old days, but they're apart of our history, not our current status quo.

And this "farm league" bit is bull shit. ONE guy leaves & suddenly the show is knocked down a league? We didn't retool, we didn't get a complete new roster, & we didn't start providing less quality shows. If you only listened for one guy's opinion over 6 years, thats on you, not the rest of the hosts. He's got his own show to follow. It's really quite good.

You don't want to hear "real life" excuses for not doing things, than fine. Finance the show so the guys can quit their day jobs & only work on the show. You can listen whenever you want. Finding time to put in the work, recording & producing episodes, PLUS attend to our obligations outside of the show is getting more difficult over the years.

Now once I see Dredd, I'll discuss it even if I'm the only one. And for the record, I'm in contact with that "certain geek" and he's made no indication he's even going to see Dredd.

M

Well said. Totally agree with you on all counts. I think the show is as great now as its ever been. Keep up the good work everyone. I think I'm safe in saying its totally appreciated by the vast majority of listeners.
  • Options
    I have said many times here and other places that the show has gotten a new energy too it since Pants took over. Plus it is great to see Matt showing up on more episodes. Do I miss some of the old segment? Sure I do,but I realize I am still getting close to 5 hours a week of FREE entertainment. It is thanks to CGS and the geeks that I got back into comics after a long period where I was out. And thanks to CGS and the geeks that I started going to Cons again. Also thanks to yall I learned about Instocktrades,which has made my collection grow at an affordable price. Plus if not for CGS I would have never gotten to learn about Uncle Sal and Cousin Buzz. I have told Sal before that his episodes are one of the best anti depressants I have found.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    dubbat138 said:

Plus if not for CGS I would have never gotten to learn about Uncle Sal and Cousin Buzz. I have told Sal before that his episodes are one of the best anti depressants I have found.

I must admit when I first heard the sal episodes I thought they were easily the funniest thing I'd heard since Karl Pilkington had me in stitches on the Ricky gervais podcasts. I've since had to stop listening to the Sal episodes at work due to the looks I get from collegues because I'm laughing so hard.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

Plus if not for CGS I would have never gotten to learn about Uncle Sal and Cousin Buzz. I have told Sal before that his episodes are one of the best anti depressants I have found.

I must admit when I first heard the sal episodes I thought they were easily the funniest thing I'd heard since Karl Pilkington had me in stitches on the Ricky gervais podcasts. I've since had to stop listening to the Sal episodes at work due to the looks I get from collegues because I'm laughing so hard.

I always end up listening to Uncle Sal episodes while out shopping. I have issues with crowds. So I listen to podcasts to combat this. But I am sure people wonder why I am walking around in various stores laughing very loud.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited September 2012
    Caliban said:

This thread risks getting sidetracked into unpleasantness and taking attention away from the worthwhile cause of SuperHero weekend

I hate it when I'm right
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited September 2012
    Look I'm opinionated, stubborn but above all else I'm right on what I like, hate & love.
    Matt said:

mguy1977 said:

What is the big deal about 2000AD & Dredd 3D? I watched the Sly version of Dredd and liked enough. I AM THE LAW!!! If the actor that plays Dredd never takes his helmet off what is the freaking point. Don't sweat doing a Dredd 3D review on my count.

I'm glad that the Walking Dead lawsuit is dealt with & hope that Tony Moore got a heavy bag of money from it.

Matthew

I think where you really lose your argument here is that SlyDredd was not true to the character, but fell in line with the way you like your superheroes (ie without a mask.) If Superman was done in the same manner as CatBerry (ie only using the name) you'd be the first person to rally the troopers to boycott Man of Steel.

I'm not saying that you can't like Superman or SlyDredd, but you shouldnt critique a comic movie for sticking to the source material instead of what you like.

M

I may lose the argument for Dredd & that is fair enough Matt. I avoid Catberry because it is garbage & the Catwoman I admire on film is in the second Keaton Batman film w/ Michelle Pfeiffer. As for SlyDredd & Reeve Superman, SlyDredd is no masterpiece but when compared to the nonSly version of Dredd I will take Rambo, Rocky, SlyDredd any dang day of the week. As for Reeve Superman no actor on this earth living as embodied the ideal Superman greater than him. You could make a Man of Steel sequel called the Man of Energy (aka the blue energy suit) and it would get lots of laughs & hate from long fans of Superman as an example. I will see the Man of Steel film when it opens within the 1st two weeks of release. As for Dredd the redux back to basics showing nothing just the chin I have no interest in.

You are not wrong Matt, nor is FlintLockJaw but neither am I. I stand my statement. I like what I like, love what I love & hate what I hate on any topic of decision including films. No amount of shame, guilt, or other form of displeasure will change my opinion. I hope the Dredd3D does well worldwide but I will just rent the movie from Netflix instead.

Matthew
  • Options
    'I may lose the argument for Dredd & that is fair enough Matt.'

Matt is The Batman of CGS. You've already lost the argument even before you thought of posting in the thread.
  • Options
    That goes for us all!!!!
    :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    For MGuy...
    Dredd 3D Angry Review
    youtu.be/4MtMzdTi-cY

Spoilerific!!!
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

Look I'm opinionated, stubborn but above all else I'm right on what I like, hate & love.

Matt said:

mguy1977 said:

What is the big deal about 2000AD & Dredd 3D? I watched the Sly version of Dredd and liked enough. I AM THE LAW!!! If the actor that plays Dredd never takes his helmet off what is the freaking point. Don't sweat doing a Dredd 3D review on my count.

I'm glad that the Walking Dead lawsuit is dealt with & hope that Tony Moore got a heavy bag of money from it.

Matthew

I think where you really lose your argument here is that SlyDredd was not true to the character, but fell in line with the way you like your superheroes (ie without a mask.) If Superman was done in the same manner as CatBerry (ie only using the name) you'd be the first person to rally the troopers to boycott Man of Steel.

I'm not saying that you can't like Superman or SlyDredd, but you shouldnt critique a comic movie for sticking to the source material instead of what you like.

M

I may lose the argument for Dredd & that is fair enough Matt. I avoid Catberry because it is garbage & the Catwoman I admire on film is in the second Keaton Batman film w/ Michelle Pfeiffer. As for SlyDredd & Reeve Superman, SlyDredd is no masterpiece but when compared to the nonSly version of Dredd I will take Rambo, Rocky, SlyDredd any dang day of the week. As for Reeve Superman no actor on this earth living as embodied the ideal Superman greater than him. You could make a Man of Steel sequel called the Man of Energy (aka the blue energy suit) and it would get lots of laughs & hate from long fans of Superman as an example. I will see the Man of Steel film when it opens within the 1st two weeks of release. As for Dredd the redux back to basics showing nothing just the chin I have no interest in.

You are not wrong Matt, nor is FlintLockJaw but neither am I. I stand my statement. I like what I like, love what I love & hate what I hate on any topic of decision including films. No amount of shame, guilt, or other form of displeasure will change my opinion. I hope the Dredd3D does well worldwide but I will just rent the movie from Netflix instead.

Matthew
    Maybe my prior post wasn't clear enough. I have no problems with you preferring SlyDredd (or the prequel Demolition Man). To say you like the costumes, storyline, actors, feel of it verses the current, more true to the source material is completely fine. Basing this on the fact that you prefer it over Dredd because Sly removed the mask (which is not in the comics) and Urban only shows his chin (which is true to the source material) is where I see your argument falling apart.

I enjoyed the Shadow movie a lot. There are a lot of things from the movie merged from various medias (novels, comics, radio) to get a great origin. Seeing Cranston (note, it should be Allard) taking on Khan at the end irritates me every time I see it. It should be the Shadow. I find it a foolish stance for someone to argue with me the movie version is better than any novel or comic because you see Alec's face in the final battle.

I actually prefer my heroes to wear masks. Full, partial, domino, it doesn't matter. If Man of Steel had a masked Superman you cannot truthfully tell me you would not have an issue with it. I understand people want to see actors, but if I want to see a comic book movie, I want to see the hero, not the actor. I like Toby Maguire, but when he's in the Spider-man outfit, I don't want to see his face. I like Hugo Weaving, but that's not why I went to see V for Vendetta.

There's no shame in liking SlyDredd, but to base it purely on the fact that he shows more than his chin I think is a very thin defense.

M

• Options

'I may lose the argument for Dredd & that is fair enough Matt.'

Matt is The Batman of CGS. You've already lost the argument even before you thought of posting in the thread.

What HE said! ;)

M
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

I've always been curious about those. Good to know they're worth checking out. We've never gotten the Adele Blanc-Sec movie over here, either, which is weird considering that was directed by Luc Besson. Figured it'd at least make the art house circuit. But pterodactyls and art houses don't mix, I guess.