Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Post your favourite commissioned art

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    @7h0m45, Killer pieces for sure! Great stuff
  • Options
    Neutron11Neutron11 Posts: 35
    imageFred Chao did this awesome Daredevil commission for me at Supershow a few years back. I always try to get Daredevil and this one is at the tippity top of my favorites.
  • Options
    DarthKramerDarthKramer Posts: 60
    edited April 2012

Andy Jewett did this awesome Computo for me a few years back. I use it as pretty much all of my forum avatars.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    imageFred Chao did this awesome Daredevil commission for me at Supershow a few years back. I always try to get Daredevil and this one is at the tippity top of my favorites.

1. I love Cho and his stuff.
    2. I love that he has a signature stamp
    3. That is a effing sweet comish. Is it an homage to an actual Daredevil cover, or something original?
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    would anyone be willing to say how much they paid for pieces, just wondering what i should expect, haven't really got into getting sketches and commissioned stuff yet
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    @Krescan get to artists before they become "hot" and you can get great deals, expect to pay a premium for big names most of the time. I like to pay under $50 for sketches (my sweet spot is $25-40) unless they are something really special, original pages I like to snap up for under $100 but will go $150-200+ for something really great or special to me (I hunt for $65-80 bargains and can usually find stuff I like from lesser known works that I love). A fully commissioned piece can vary from $150-??. I keep most art purchases (comic or fine art) to under $1k, I have considered $2-4k for pieces that would be priceless to me and focal points of rooms.

I grew up around art and artists and I think people undervalue how a great piece that evokes thought or emotion from you is really worth. It is something you will look at, enjoy, contemplate, and live with your entire life, every day. People will spend tens/hundreds of thousands on a car that will last 10 years, or similar amounts on clothes that will last even less, etc. but balk at the very conservative numbers I threw out. A lot of those same people are always in awe of great art and cool stuff we have around and wonder why their Target prints and soulless mass-produced "art" just fades into their wall color and doesn't create any emotion at all. Wall space is limited, go for quality over quantity and stuff that really sings to you.
  • Options
    Here are a few of my favorites...

Dave Wachter Captain America from Baltimore Comic Con 2011:

Drew Charipar Steve Rogers Super Soldier from NYCC 2011:

Bill Walko Steve Rogers Super Soldier from Boston Comic Con 2012:

• Options
    7h0m457h0m45 Posts: 49
    would anyone be willing to say how much they paid for pieces, just wondering what i should expect, haven't really got into getting sketches and commissioned stuff yet
    if you had a particular artist you wanted to know prices for, ask away and maybe one of us will know.

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    There's some awesome art in here. I was going to comment on a few that are my favorites, but the post would be too long. Although, I have to admit that I'm still laughing over "You'll need a fix because you're going down."

Sadly, I have very little commissioned artwork to show off. That will change soon, since I won a Muddle the Murd this week, I've got a sketch from Mike coming at the Super Show and sometime before Super Show I'm going to put down $20 on J.K.'s Kickstarter. But of what I do have, the one that I need to scan when I get the chance that is my favorite is actually really bad. But that's part of it's charm and it has a really cool story behind it (which I'll share when I post it). It's a Garth Ennis sketch of Arseface. Yes, Garth Ennis. No, he's not an artist - I said it was pretty bad. Other than that I have a Grant Morrison Batman sketch that I got at the same time and a Savage Dragon sketch by Larson. All of which were free which is why I have them lol.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    (and yes, if he'd done Wally West, he told me that it would have been slightly different, Wally's face would be slightly rounder than Barry's as done by Perez)
    And that is what makes Perez so awesome. I love the way he draws faces and they actually look like different faces instead of the same face with different color hair/eyes/mask/etc. In fact, when the geeks announced the superherostuff.com contest, I did my geek out moment wondering who I would have him draw and I immediately eliminated Iron Man even though he's one of my favorite Avengers because it would be a waste to get a Perez sketch and not have him draw a face. I wouldn't ask for Spider-Man for the same reason (although I wouldn't anyway because I still don't have Spider-Man's or Wolverine's name pop to mind when I think Avengers even though they've both been part of the team for a while).
  • Options
    Here is one of my Darkhawk commissions. I'm going to try and upload one a day till I run out!

This one is by the one and only SUPER UGLY!!

Photobucket
  • Options
    choanatachoanata Posts: 9
    I have a Green Lantern Corps sketch book that gets worked on little by little.

My favorite so far is Skottie Youngs (I dont have the GLC guys name on me)
    Ash-Pak-Glif!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Just won this Fred Hembeck sketch card off of eBay.

It takes a certain kind of fan to be excited about winning a sketch of Fatman the Human Flying Saucer. I am totally that kind of fan.
  • Options
    7h0m457h0m45 Posts: 49
    I just got the Daredevil by Matteo Scalera a few weeks ago in Vegas and it quickly became one of my favorites!

Photobucket