Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike Gallagher kicked off the show

Comments

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Elsiebub said:

Wow, I couldn't have thought of a worse way to "put all of this behind us" than for Peter Rios to start posting in this thread every five minutes.

If booting Mike was a professional decision -- and maybe it was -- then why is Peter, who is no longer involved in CGS, so involved in this?

If Peter is "taking the high road" then why were at least two of his podcasts this week basically devoted to dancing on Mike's figurative grave? (Let's be honest, Peter, you only answered an old question from David D because it gave you a chance to take yet another passive-aggressive shot at Mike. And the "Game Over" video game noises? Pretty damn sad and petty that you took the time to do that. Why even take the shot? Why does it mean so much to you?

Did Mike accidentally kill your dog or something? We don't get why you hate him. Maybe there's a good reason, but we just sense the unexplained hate, coming from you.)

I've only quoted the parts I'm replying to. This is just my opinion on what I've read and heard.

I think Peter's stake in this, is that it seems he's watched Mike do/say things that have hurt or damaged CGS' reputation in the comics world. Peter co-created the show and served as a producer for years, maybe that's why it means so much to him?

Once again, just my opinion.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    I love people who say "I can't be bothered" after writing a 1000 word essay. Here's the outlined response to that tome above that the author won't see anyway. (yea right) I'll go point by point - kinda how I do my podcast notes!

- I always love the "I love CGS"/"I've been listening for years" disclaimer to the eventual comment of "but you suck for doing this!". Some loyalty there.
    - You don't need reasons. Bryan's comments on the episode clearly said "there was no ill will" from Bryan towards Mike. Anything listeners learned beyond that - blame Mike. CGS was apparently willing to let it be.
    - Think about this: perhaps once you hear the reasons, you might think poorly of Mike and his actions. Is that fair to him? Or do you want to keep hounding for reasons only to hear them and go "Damn. Okay. I'm sorry I know."
    - When did I say I was taking the high road? lol
    - Thanks for The Daily Rios plug! Appreciate it! Subscribe!
    - There is no "we" or hate when it comes to Mike and I. I imagine people think I'm typing furiously with furrowed brow. When in fact, I'm in my undies, eating a salad and enjoying some down time. Don't get it twisted.
    - I do know that Mike has this obsession with needing to be friends with everyone. And it has burned him many times. When you try too hard, it shows.
    - You use too many generic comments. "We" "Listeners". Apparently from the thread, some people get it. Thankfully.
    - I'm used to being the "bad guy". That way others can feel better about themselves. Isn't that nice of me?
    - I helped build CGS, bitches! You better believe I'm going to jump in when someone is degrading its value, even if I'm no longer on the show. Because unlike some, I know and understand and respect its history.

And lastly, to go all playground, I believe my name was brought up WAY before I joined the thread. So nyah! Look it up. >:P :))
  • Options
    Marathon said:

I think Peter's stake in this, is that it seems he's watched Mike do/say things that have hurt or damaged CGS' reputation in the comics world. Peter co-created the show and served as a producer for years, maybe that's why it means so much to him?

Posted right before I wrote just about the same thing.

I told you some listeners get it! Bravo! :)

• Options
    Peter said:

Marathon said:

Posted right before I wrote just about the same thing.

I told you some listeners get it! Bravo! :)

And yet didn't take up as much space AND didn't include references to any quasi-nude salad-eating.
  • Options
    KyleMoyer said:

DrBravo2 said:

Mike finally took off his helmet and revealed that he was Magneto all along, didn't he?

Someone did. I'll grant that.
    Oh and Mike is definitely Captain Atom Monarch
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Jon, you scruffy bastard. Darren tells lies. LIES!

Steve! :)) Sorry about that. I've always said I need a PR person. I'm too honest.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    As for concrete (stories matching up on both sides) answers regarding this whole thing, keep this in mind and be at peace:

Just like with how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Roll Pop.... we'll never know.
  • Options

Okay... now that that jerk Mike is off the show I can come back. ;)

Heh.

Seriously, what the deuce?
    I get out of the loop for a couple months* and all hell breaks loose? Oy.
    I've met Mike on a couple occasions, can't say I have a negative feeling about the fella.
    Well... if you discount he's a fan of Mike Deodato... but I digress. Heh.

This is Bryan's baby after all. It's his to powder, diaper and discipline.
    He can show us the baby photos and he can listen to suggestions on how to raise his kid.
    In the end, it's his crotchfruit. It's his call.
    He doesn't owe an explanation to me or any other listener... and I've been listening as long as anyone here.
    I'm sure all the sordid details will come to light, they most always do.
    If his parenting style bothers you, you can choose not to look at the baby pictures anymore.

That said, Hello everybody!

*12 months, if you're counting

HE LIVES!!!!
  • Options
    So at this point we just need to hear from Just Bill and Seraphyn and Old Home's Week is concluded, right? =;
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited March 2016

So at this point we just need to hear from Just Bill and Seraphyn and Old Home's Week is concluded, right? =;

Maximglory
    Jimmy Aquino
    Derek Coward
    Brody
    Little Witch
    Braxton
    Vince
    Rainbow Cloak
    Matt Kramer
    MelvillesFist
    Citizen Dave
    Dave & Barry
    David Price
    John Mayo
    Bob Bretall
    Man-Eating Tarp
    Spano
    Bruce Rosenberger
    Blue Meanie
    Mario
    Mongoose Dog
    Keith Cunningham
    Sean Whelan
    Frank Rincon
    Brad Milyo
    Lobo

I know I'm forgetting a ton of others. Doesn't mean I don't miss y'all.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    This discussion crystallizes why, I, as a rule of thumb, despise message boards and similar types of venues. Speculation, idle gossip, and the like, you know. This board uses to be above this kind of stuff a few years ago, and it arguably still is the best comics-related board out there. But it has still devolved to a considerable degree.

It is what it is, and instead of worrying about it, we should respect privacy and just move on.

And Marty, welcome back. Now pay us!
  • Options
    Wetrats - I had a Maximglory sighting the weekend of NYCC. He hung out at the bar for a few hours!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    kfreeman said:

Speculation, idle gossip, and the like, you know. This board uses to be above this kind of stuff a few years ago, and it arguably still is the best comics-related board out there. But it has still devolved to a considerable degree.

I'm your mamma, I'm your daddy I'm that noogie in the alley...

You know me, I'm your friend Your main boy, thick and thin. I'm your Pusher Man...

• Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I rest my case.

kfreeman said:

Speculation, idle gossip, and the like, you know. This board uses to be above this kind of stuff a few years ago, and it arguably still is the best comics-related board out there. But it has still devolved to a considerable degree.

You know me, I'm your friend Your main boy, thick and thin. I'm your Pusher Man...

• Options
    edited October 2012
    kfreeman said:

I rest my case.

kfreeman said:

You don't get the joke/reference, @kfreeman?

Adding a bit of levity is an indication of devolution?

(The former, I can understand. The latter... we'll see)
  • Options
    just_x said:

Wow! This has been almost entertaining. I, like many others here have been listening for a long while and I have to shake my head at all of this.

Having followed this from certain other outlets, all I can say is who cares? Bryan did what he did and said that there were reasons behind it. That should have been it. We as listeners are not entitled to know what happened. Just like we didn't have a say when anyone was promoted to official geek status.

When Mike first came on, I honestly didn't like him, but over time he became one of the geeks to me. I was pretty damned shocked how quickly he was "made" a geek, but I rolled with it. I didn't agree with certain thing he did, but I got over it because he did add a certain perspective. I gave him a chance because Bryan vouched for him and I did find myself enjoying his perspective.

All that being said, it was never his show and Bryan really didn't need a reason to cut him. if he said it was for a reason, I believe it was.

When we are fired from something, we have a habit of putting the blame on the entity that let us go. We never like to admit what we did wrong, but usually there is something. Bryan doesn't need to name names or tell us why. What's done is done, but I will say that it has become harder from me to be sympathetic when the most vocal supporters are resorting to negativity and name calling. It becomes funny when they have the audacity to complain about Peter finally chiming in after days of people insulting or blaming him.

I could care less if mike is guilty or innocent of anything. He wasn't called out and anything that was heard about the subject came from mike and that's his call. Cgs doesn't need to justify their reasons and it would be petty if they did. What Bryan said should have been enough, but I do love how some insulting parties who got their first fans off the backs of CGS and the old network have anything to say about the subject.

Were they really that concerned about John when they had their boards being hosted by CGS?

I think that it's pretty sad that people asking CGS to stay classy couldn't be bothered to do the same. Yeah Flint, that's directed at you.

Quoted for truth.

chris

• Options
    WetRats said:

Scruffy lookin' nerf herders... one and all!
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Maybe this is all a comic book type trick. Mike gets "killed off" to spike forum interest. Time goes by. Mike is a dim memory. Then during episode 1500, Mike appears again with a vengeance and takes over. Pants ends up in the fetal position of the studio corner. The rest of the remaining geeks are powerless to stop Mike from talking about independent comics published in eastern Pennsylvania in 1978. Jamie D has no choice to call in the CGS dynamic duo, Deemer and Rios to save the show. Mike gets sent to the podcasting negative zone and episode 1500 comes to a close.
  • Options
    TobyToby Posts: 91

WetRats said:

Could someone PM this jpeg? I'm in the first row on the bottom and want some type of button for being an old timer.

;-)
    I think a silhouetted version with names attached would be cool.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    Toby said:

WetRats said:

Could someone PM this jpeg? I'm in the first row on the bottom and want some type of button for being an old timer.

;-)
    I think a silhouetted version with names attached would be cool.
    I did an HTML file a few years ago where I image mapped it so that hovering the mouse above a person would show their name. I fear that file is lost to the ether now, and I don't have the time nor, after 5 years, memory to do it again.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    If there is a guy who says
    Peter said:

This is news? lol :P

Vibe coming back in JLA!

• Options
    Man, there's some vile, vile stuff being thrown around out there on the Interwebs.
    I think I'll give the social media some time off to cool down.