Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1301 - A Cornucopia of Comics Conversation 2012

We start with an Off the Rack from Murd on 'Are You My Mother?', chat with Steve Hoveke about his Kickstarter project for 'The Steamworld Chronicles', talk about the 'Wreck It Ralph' and 'Skyfall' movies and go over some of the original art results from the latest Heritage Auctions. (1:16:21)

Listen here.

Here's the link to Steve's Kickstarter campaign - The Steamworld Chronicles.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited November 2012
    Appreciated Murd's review of Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel. Nice to have some "indie" talk on the show. Good pick.

And yes - SKYFALL is awesome!

Thanks for another show of plenty!
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Skyfall is awesome. seen every one since Live and Let Die though I was too young to remember anything but title sequence very faintly in my toddler brain. I see the Bonds with my parents and children, they taught me, I return the favor. I'm not sure the Bond myth holds up 50 years later but Skyfall makes a good effort.

Shane- Avoid the original unless really interested, they are dated to the point of unreadable. Jeffrey Deaver's Carte Blanche of last year was very good. Jamie D's opinion of John Gardner's stuff was spot on though they too read very 80's.
  • Options
    Wreck-It Ralph was one of the more enjoyable animation features I've seen in a while.

One observation: I hadn't realized until I got to the theater that it was a Disney film. I thought, for some reason, that it was from Dreamworks. It occurred to me then that, since Home On The Range (which I loved), I haven't been able to identify a Disney animated feature from its presentation anymore. I've had to go online and find what are considered to be part of the great, unending line of Disney animated features (I also hadn't realized that Meet The Robinsons was by Disney). Has the line really blurred that much, that Disney is trying so hard to beat the competition at their own game when once they owned the store? And that Dreamworks these days seems more like Disney than Disney does? (I don't include Pixar in this -- although they're owned by Disney, they still seem like a separate company altogether.)

And as much as I love CGI animation -- I really, really miss the old cel animation.

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Are You My Mother?: I liked Murd's review. (I used to study psychology) However, I probably won't get the book. I didn't buy Blankets either, so it's okay. Right, Murd?
    Kickstarter: Hm, namedropper indeed! But I liked Steve's enthusiasm!
    Thanksgiving!: I'm thankful that I was able to have turkey dinner here in Japan AND that I saw an actual Thanksgiving Day NFL football game, even if it was the horrible beating that the Patriots gave the Jets.
    Jamie's Movie Reviews: Hm, don't know if I'll get to see Wreck It Ralph here, but it sounds good! Skyfall: It'll come out here on Dec. 1st so I'll see it next week sometime. I agree, Craig is a great James Bond. I rank him up there with Connery. Everyone in-between is just so-so. Oh, and I haven't missed a Bond movie since Diamonds Are Forever (wow, Jill St. John!), but then ... I'm old.
    Heritage Auctions: Pants watching the auctions carefully using the option of not-being-able-to-bid reminded me of the episode of Big Bang Theory when Leonard just wanted to be a part of the Time Machine auction and ended up buying it for $800 and it was a full-size prop.
    Talon: I thought it was interesting, but I hope it gets better. The artwork reminded me of Joe Kubert.
  • Options
    WoodWood Posts: 19
    I'm with Pants...those auctions are addicting. I bid on a couple of pieces, but knew full well that once we got to live action, I would be way outbid.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    edited November 2012
    Pants said:

Here's the link to Steve's Kickstarter campaign - The Steamworld Chronicles.

They've made their goal!

Thanks to anyone who pledged from hearing it on the show.