Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Spiderman #700 (spoiler)

2»

Comments

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited December 2012
    While the execution of #700 was not great. Not worth $8 for that and the filler. I do love the cover though. I have to say I like the result. Yeah lets see what happens when one of Spidey's greatest enemies assumes his identity. Not sure if I will buy off the stands or in trades but lets see what happens. I would be more pissed if it was Norman Osborn but I like the the idea of Doc Ock. I say for at least a year and the most two years. I thought Superior Spider-man was a stupid name at first but now that I know its what Doc Ock calls himself then it makes brillant sense. And having him not be in Amazing will at least please some folks that he's not in that book.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I thought the issue was pretty well crafted although I feel this is something we sort have seen before. I mean, in Kraven's Last Hunt, Kraven kills Spidey, becomes him and then defeats a villain that Spidey couldn't beat alone all to prove that Kraven was the better man. Also, wasn't that was the Dark Avengers were all about? Darker versions of Marvel heroes like Spider-Man, Wolverine and Iron Man? I have to admit the idea of Otto trying to be a hero in his arch-enemy's body does sound intriguing. I like the concept when Dan Slott said it would be like Moriarty in Sherlock's body. Could be interesting but I don't see this as long-term. I just wonder if at some point, anyone in the Marvel Universe will realize what has happened.
  • Options
    I assume Peter will be back in the driver seat before the next movie. I just hope he doesn't hit on his own Aunt before then.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    How long do we all think this is going to go on, anyway?

I haven't even read the damn thing yet, so I can't speculate.
  • Options
    As a long term Spidey fan (Returning to comics after 15 years absence) I was horrified to see him go, BUT I did love the #700 and I am pretty excited by the possibilities from here forward.

Unlike everyone else I DO NOT think Peter Parker will be back. I think his death is a fixed point in time like Gwen Stacey or Uncle Ben. A part of the folklore, as is the way Doc Ock will now grow to be a true hero over the next few years.

Hard medicine to take... but I am keen to see where it ends up. The story lines for Parker must have been pretty stale by now in any case.

As for death threats.. sadly a part of life in todays wired world where every freak with a keyboard can get in touch with anybody else.

Nuff said!
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Have to say, Slott is pretty ballsy. He saw the backlash of killing Peter Parker in the Ultimate line to bring in Miles Morales. And everyone that was angry about that still had the "well at least it's not the real Peter Parker" to fall back on and then he went and did it to the real one too!

Of course they're going to go back to Peter being Peter. They've already pretty much done it. They'll just rehash the Captain America thing where he's battling Doc Ock for who controls the mind.
  • Options
    I just read this last night. Man, I have to say it was pretty incredible. I've collected spidey for over 30 years and I have no problem with the story. It was passing the torch in the coolest twist possible. The book had many great moments and I plan on reading it again tonight. Newsarama had a great article and also an interview with Slot that I would recommend reading. They made a great point. Ock is like Peter if he didn't have Ben and May, a genius that nobody liked or wanted to play with.

I look forward to seeing how Pock, what I'm calling the peter and ock merge, share more of themselves, how much more ock looses himself in who peter is and was. Or does he ignore it. Doubt that but we'll see.

That's the cool thing, who the hell knows what's going to happen. And if in 5 or six years that little gold ock thing resurfaces with Pete in it and takes back over when or if doc goes nuts, then that will be cool too. Hell, Brubacker brought Bucky back. :))
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
  • Options
    If Superior wasn't a double shipping 4 dollar title I would for sure try it for at least the first arc.
  • Options
    Ozgipsy said:

\Unlike everyone else I DO NOT think Peter Parker will be back. I think his death is a fixed point in time like Gwen Stacey or Uncle Ben. A part of the folklore, as is the way Doc Ock will now grow to be a true hero over the next few years.

Wow! That's a bold prediction! If you're right, you're gonna be famous! (And I'm going to ask you to choose some lottery numbers for me!) Now you've got me really worried, Ozzygip!
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Well I'll be the odd duck and say that I loved #700 and that I'm excited for SSM.

You are an odd duck, but "birds of a feather flock together"! So I'm with you in praising the events of #700! This is what heroic fiction is all about: paint the character into a corner and then watch them get themselves out of it! Do I want this to last more than one year? No. Do I want Doc Ock to hump MJ (like Norman humped Gwen)? Please, no! Am I going to enjoy watching Peter take back his body and life? You bet!
  • Options
    kevinvolo said:

I look forward to seeing how Pock, what I'm calling the peter and ock merge

LOL!! I've been trying to come with an acceptable moniker for the hybridization of Peter and Otto, too! Here are some...

Doctor Peterpus
    The Amazing Otto-Man
    Potto Parker

But I like yours better. Simple, clean and elegant!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    No doubt Peter will be back soon (six - eight months tops). Slott has made an effort to make Parker the hero of the book instead of Spider-Man, so there is no way he would throw that out the window. My biggest worry is that MJ is going to prefer the newer, bolder, more assertive Peter. This is going to be the nail in the coffin for any hope of them ever getting back together.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Hex said:

No doubt Peter will be back soon (six - eight months tops). Slott has made an effort to make Parker the hero of the book instead of Spider-Man, so there is no way he would throw that out the window. My biggest worry is that MJ is going to prefer the newer, bolder, more assertive Peter. This is going to be the nail in the coffin for any hope of them ever getting back together.

I don't know, I can see this going longer than six to eight months, but can see Peter being back in some capacity but not yet being in or having total control of his body. I aslo agree with you on the MJ front but I thought I read somewhere that MJ will find out that its not Peter in his body, I could be wrong though, it may have been somebody's speculation.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited January 2013
    While I did not like the tone of Jamie D's sermon against those unhappy with the brain switch ( though the death threats are pathetic and wrong on every level) , I do agree with the notion that this will be short lived. I am of the opinion a Peter Parker-less Spiderman is not Spiderman. I will read Superior Spiderman to see how and when Peter comes back and I hope it is a struggle. I'm glad they made the switch more than a two issue gimmick but run it more than a year or so and I lose interest. I am also of the opinion like Murd that I think Dr. Octopus is better served as Spiderman's arch nemesis for the stated reasons. Just by nature of when I picked up Amazing in the late 70's, the Green Goblin was on a bit of a hiatus and I latched onto Dr Octopus as his rival. This switch feels like a great story but not a reason for a whole new book. Great arc yes, certainly better than Ends of the Earth weak story would have led you to believe, but not a reason to collapse Amazing's run.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    shroud68 said:

This switch feels like a great story but not a reason for a whole new book. Great arc yes, certainly better than Ends of the Earth weak story would have led you to believe, but not a reason to collapse Amazing's run.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that's exactly the problem I have with it. I do think it's a great story. I just don't like it being used as a gimmick to launch a new series with a new first issue. With too many series these days, I feel like I'm being bounced from one event to another, when all I want is a consistent run of strong stories. This deserves to be a good Spider-Man story. It doesn't deserve to be it's own series, when we know Peter Parker will likely be back in time for the next film. Watching them act like this might be permanent, just because they gave it its own title, feels ridiculous.
  • Options
    Hey check out a podcast interview with Dan Slott that took place the day ASM #699 came out. He even jokes about twitter and dealing with social media backlash. here's the link:

http://cbjpodcast.blogspot.com/2012/12/wcbj-episode-11-bourbon-and-revolver.html

• Options
    My only problem with ASM #700? The price. ASM #600 was 104 original pages for $3.99, whereas #700 was $7.99 for fewer pages!! I don't think the gross national product doubled in four years, but Marvel's greed may have...
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

If Superior wasn't a double shipping 4 dollar title I would for sure try it for at least the first arc.

Who are these people who keep hitting "off topic" for everything? Cut it out.
  • Options
    I am along for the ride... I love the concept, and have no doubt it will not be permanent. I started back in comics in 84, and have heard the yelping and yowling over any story that makes a fundamental change in the status quo, from the black costume, to the death of Superman, to the death and resurrection and death and resurrection of Electra, to OMD (the phone-in poll to kill Jason Todd was probably the strangest) ...

I have learned that generally, as long as you trust the creator (NOT the phone-in polls, though), you can have fun on the roller coaster, or if it isn't as much fun as you hoped, just get off the ride, and wait until the team changes. I enjoyed Mr. Slott's 'Big Time' storyline, but backed off during 'Spider Island'.

Enjoy the comics!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Dadzarro said:

Enjoy the comics!

Amen!