Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

More New52 DC Cancellations

I, Vampire and DC Universe Presents are on the chopping block, and Jim Starlin takes over writing Stormwatch.

on.cbr.cc/RTY1eE

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited January 2013
    I, Vampire - I dripped it some time back, after the Justice League Dark crossover.

DC Universe Presents - dropped it before the Deadman story even finished.

Stormwatch - I'm a bit behind, but I like this book. I don't know if Starlin can really add to it, but I'll certainly give him a fair shake.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I am kind of bummed about DC U Presents. I enjoy anthologies a lot. The first trade was ok.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    So what new 52 "wave" are we on now?
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited January 2013
    I'm still reading I, Vampire, but I have to admit that it lost a lot of steam after the JLD crossover. I just dropped the DC Universe Presents book with last month's order because it recently seemed to be turning into another Teen Titans spotlight book. I'm enjoying Stormwatch and find it strange that they're changing writers on the book again -- third time in less than two years -- then again, it looks like they're shuffling a lot of writers around on a lot of titles -- but I'm looking forward to seeing Starlin's take. I only wish he was also drawing it; that would be something special.

I'm not sure, but I think this is Wave 4...

• Options
    IF what I am reading is true (want to preface this) the way DC is letting people know they have been replaced or their books are being canceled is despicable.

Some creators are saying that they didn't know they were off their current assignments was when they read it in Previews. People are having stories changed and their names taken off of them after they have been approved and sent in, so they worked on a script, sent it in and didn't get a check because the story wasn't used. Others are having to split a royalty check with a creator whose name is on the book but didn't contribute anything to it.

Nick Spensor recently tweeted: But I would tell any creator– especially newer, younger ones– to be extremely careful in doing business there.

Starlin has been joking on his facebook page that he has been fired already. At least I THINK it's a joke.

You would think the crew at DC would have learned when they got bounced from Marvel in the 90's that treating creators poorly and claiming that the characters and editors sell books isn't exactly a way to boost sales in a world when fans follow creators.

They could be on wave 52, but if top flight creators won't work for you due to how you treat people, it's all a waste of time.
  • Options

IF what I am reading is true (want to preface this) the way DC is letting people know they have been replaced or their books are being canceled is despicable.

Some creators are saying that they didn't know they were off their current assignments was when they read it in Previews. People are having stories changed and their names taken off of them after they have been approved and sent in, so they worked on a script, sent it in and didn't get a check because the story wasn't used. Others are having to split a royalty check with a creator whose name is on the book but didn't contribute anything to it.

Nick Spensor recently tweeted: But I would tell any creator– especially newer, younger ones– to be extremely careful in doing business there.

Starlin has been joking on his facebook page that he has been fired already. At least I THINK it's a joke.

You would think the crew at DC would have learned when they got bounced from Marvel in the 90's that treating creators poorly and claiming that the characters and editors sell books isn't exactly a way to boost sales in a world when fans follow creators.

They could be on wave 52, but if top flight creators won't work for you due to how you treat people, it's all a waste of time.

Franco and Art Balthazar were the only ones who found out about the cancellation of their book through previews. Writers who have submitted completed scripts are paid for those scripts even if they're not used.
    Roberson shouldn't have to had split his royalty check but JMS has a lot of pull. Freelancers and contractors in any field should be aware of who they do business with. They're not salary employees with benefits. They have no guaranteed contracts. DC is not the only company these young writers/artists should be aware of.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    So how many of the original 52 are still up and running?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Franco and Art Balthazar were the only ones who found out about the cancellation of their book through previews. Writers who have submitted completed scripts are paid for those scripts even if they're not used.
    Roberson shouldn't have to had split his royalty check but JMS has a lot of pull. Freelancers and contractors in any field should be aware of who they do business with. They're not salary employees with benefits. They have no guaranteed contracts. DC is not the only company these young writers/artists should be aware of.
    I'm sure these freelancers were not surprised at being poorly treated. But that does not change that the treatment was poor.

I think it is fair to hope for better than that, especially from one of the biggest publishers out there
  • Options
    BListerBLister Posts: 23
    Hope enough gets the axe that they bring back the real DCU.
  • Options
    Just heard that Scott Snyder is going off of Swamp Thing too! The hits just keep coming. What the heck is going on at DC???
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

Just heard that Scott Snyder is going off of Swamp Thing too! The hits just keep coming. What the heck is going on at DC???

That's what I thought. But i must admit from what I've read (on the DC blog I think it was), an interview with new writer Charles Soule, I think I'm gonna like the way he takes things. He said he's going to start off with a few 2-3 issue story arcs. And after the epic RotWorld I'm happy with that change to things, even though I've been loving RotWorld. And that cover from Kano with Scarecrow is awesome. I'm sad to see Snyder go, but excited to see where it goes.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Snyder leaving Swamp thing was planned. I can't remember what podcast I heard him on, think it was Fatman On Batman, but he said that his run on Swamp Thing was ending soon and that it was planned that way by him.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    That's a great piece. A bummer, of course, but a really clear articulation of being in that frustrating position. (As well as, across too many fields, that freelancers are expected to produce a lot of work on spec).
  • Options
    AudioPhantom from there said something that stood out for me:

"And where's that line for $2.99 drawn at again? "
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

To answer my own question: according to my calculations (based on the "the new 52" wikipedia article), 14 of the original 52 are gone. After about 1.5 years, not sure if that's impressive or not?

e
    L nny

• Options
    ctowner1 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

To answer my own question: according to my calculations (based on the "the new 52" wikipedia article), 14 of the original 52 are gone. After about 1.5 years, not sure if that's impressive or not?

e
    L nny

Actually, I count 17 gone, plus one of the replacement books. And quite a few are hovering at the cancellation point.

• Options
    edited January 2013

ctowner1 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

e
    L nny

Actually, I count 17 gone, plus one of the replacement books. And quite a few are hovering at the cancellation point.

On closer inspection, I'm seeing 16 of 52 gone:

HERE:
    1. ACTION COMICS: Grant Morrison & Rags Morales
    2. ALL-STAR WESTERN #1 Writers: Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti Artist: Moritat
    3. ANIMAL MAN #1 Writer: Jeff Lemire Artists: Travel Foreman, Dan Green
    4. AQUAMAN #1 Writer: Geoff Johns Artist: Ivan Reis
    5. BATGIRL #1 Writer: Gail Simone Artists: Ardian Syaf, Vicente Cifuentes
    6. BATMAN #1 Writer: Scott Snyder Artist: Greg Capullo
    7. BATMAN AND ROBIN #1 Writer: Peter Tomasi Artist: Pat Gleason
    8. BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #1 Writer/Artist: David Finch
    9. BATWING #1 Writer: Judd Winick Artist: Ben Oliver
    10. BATWOMAN #1 Writer: J.H.Williams III/Haden Blackman,Artist:J.H.WIII/Amy Reeder
    11. BIRDS OF PREY #1 Writer: Duane Swierczynski Artist: Jesus Saiz
    12. CATWOMAN #1 Writer: Judd Winick Artist: Guillem March
    13. DEATHSTROKE #1 Writer: Kyle Higgins Artists: Joe Bennett, Art Thibert
    14. DEMON KNIGHTS #1 Writer: Paul Cornell Artists: Diogenes Neves, Oclair Albert
    15. DETECTIVE COMICS #1 Writer/Artist: Tony Daniel
    16. FLASH #1 Writers: FrManapul, Brian Buccellato Artist: Brian Buccellato
    17. FURY OF FIRESTORM #1 Writers: EVSciver, GSimone Artist: Yildiray Cinar
    18. GREEN ARROW #1 Writer: JT Krul Artist: Dan Jurgens
    19. GREEN LANTERN #1 Writer: GeoJohns Artists: Doug Mahnke, Christian Alamy
    20. GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1 Writer: PTomasi Artists: F Pasarin, Scott Hanna
    21. GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #1 Writer: TBedard Artist: Ty Kirkham
    22. JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 Writer: Geoff Johns Artist: Jim Lee
    23. JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #1 Writer: Peter Milligan Artist: Mikel Janin
    24. LEGION OF SUPERHEROES #1 Writer: Paul Levitz Artist: Francis Portela
    25. NIGHTWING #1 Writer: Kyle Higgins Artist: Eddy Barrows
    26. RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #1 Writer: SLobdell Artist: Kenneth Rocafort
    27. RED LANTERNS #1 Writer: Peter Milligan Artists: Ed Benes, Rob Hunter
    28. SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1 Writer: Tony Daniel Artist: Philip Tan
    29. STORMWATCH #1 Writer: Paul Cornell Artist: Miguel Sepulveda
    30. SUICIDE SQUAD: Adam Glass & Marco Rudy
    31. SUPERBOY: Scott Lobdell with art by R.B. Silva and Rob Lean
    32. SUPERGIRL: Writers Michael Green and Mike Johnson & artist Mahmud Asrar
    33. SUPERMAN: written by George Perez with art by Jesus Merino
    34. SWAMP THING #1 Writer: Scott Snyder Artist: Yannick Paquette
    35. TEEN TITANS #1 Writer: Scott Lobdell Artists: Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund
    36. WONDER WOMAN #1 Writer: Brian Azzarello Artist: Cliff Chiang

GONE:
    1. BLACKHAWKS #1 Writer: Mike Costa Artist: Ken Lashley
    2. BLUE BEETLE: Writer: Tony Bedard and Art by Ig Guara & Ruy Jose
    3. CAPTAIN ATOM #1 Writer: JT Krul Artist: Freddie Williams
    4. DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #1 Writer: Paul Jenkins Artist: Bernard Chang
    5. FRANKENSTEIN, AGENT OF SHADE #1 Writer: JLemire Artist: Alb Ponticelli
    6. GRIFTER #1 Writer: Nathan Edmondson Artist: CAFU, BIT
    7. HAWK AND DOVE #1 Writer: Sterling Gates Artist: Rob Liefeld
    8. I VAMPIRE #1 Writer: Josh Fialkov Artist: Andrea Sorrentino
    9. JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1 Writer: DJurgens Artist: Aaron Lopresti
    10. LEGION LOST #1 Writer: Fabian Nicieza Artist: Pete Woods
    11. MISTER TERRIFIC #1 Writer: Eric Wallace Artist: Roger Robinson
    12. OMAC #1 Writer: Dan DiDio, Keith Giffen Artists: Keith Giffen, Scott Koblish
    13. RESURRECTION MAN #1 Writers: Abnett/Lanning Artist: Fernando Dagnino
    14. SGT. ROCK AND MEN OF WAR #1 Writer: Ivan Brandon Artist: Tom Derenick
    15. STATIC SHOCK #1 W: Jn Rozum, SMcDaniel A: SMcDaniel, Jonathan Glapion
    16. VOODOO #1 Writer: Ron Marz Artist: Sami Basri

which one did I miss?

and how many of the remaining 35 or 36 original titles still have their original creative team?

e
    L nny
  • Options

ctowner1 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

e
    L nny

What's in danger?

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Still missing OMAC :-S
  • Options
    Hmm. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Firestorm had been axed. I know G I Combat was also cancelled, but that was one of the replacement titles.
  • Options

ctowner1 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

e
    L nny

What's in danger?

The lowest selling titles right now that haven't been announced as being cancelled are Firestorm (which may explain why I thought it had been cancelled), Deathstroke and Hawkman. All have sales below 15,000. Batwing and Demon Knights are very close by.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Hmm. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Firestorm had been axed. I know G I Combat was also cancelled, but that was one of the replacement titles.

I think it had been announced as being cancelled, but it was really just a relaunch with a tweaked title and a new creative team—and it kept the same numbering.
  • Options

ctowner1 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

e
    L nny

What's in danger?

The lowest selling titles right now that haven't been announced as being cancelled are Firestorm (which may explain why I thought it had been cancelled), Deathstroke and Hawkman. All have sales below 15,000. Batwing and Demon Knights are very close by.

Thanks.

I don't care about Deathstroke, Hawkman, and Batwing.... but Demon Knights? Damn it!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

I don't care about Deathstroke, Hawkman, and Batwing.... but Demon Knights? Damn it!

I had no delusions, I'm thankful we've gotten what we've gotten, and I'll continue to buy day and date and double-dip on the trades for it right up to the end. It'll never leave my bookshelf. It was a title with both incredible artwork and brilliant writing...I knew it wouldn't last.

If you'd told me back in November 2011 that my favorite book would involve Etrigan and Vandal Savage, I'd have never believed it. I hope that on the horrible day it does finally end we still have a stage set to hear more about Sir Ystina, Exoristos, Horsewoman and Al-Jabr.
  • Options

ctowner1 said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

e
    L nny

What's in danger?

Thanks.

Batwing is one of the few Batbooks I'm still getting and enjoying, though its future continuance seems doubtful.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I had no delusions, I'm thankful we've gotten what we've gotten, and I'll continue to buy day and date and double-dip on the trades for it right up to the end. It'll never leave my bookshelf. It was a title with both incredible artwork and brilliant writing...I knew it wouldn't last.
    There probably weren't enough psychotic killers cutting their faces off and dismembering the King's guards in the stories.