Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Orson Scott Card writing Superman? And a controversy?

I may not have spelled controversy right. Sorry. Anyway, did we know Orson Scott Card is going to be doing some writing for DC Comics?

I certainly didn't. Everything I just read says its some kind of digital only comic for Superman. First of all, I love him. Why isn't he writing the main title. Too busy maybe? Too expensive?

Secondly, there's some controversy around this because of Cards statements or actions regarding gay marriage and the LGBT community.

https://www.allout.org/en/actions/dccomics-osc

Does anyone have any thoughts? About his writing, Superman, or the controversy?

Comments

• Options
    His writing Superman is news to me. His novels have been pretty good, but I do have gay friends who, despite their serious addiction to really good SF, will not buy or read his books because of his statements about gays in general.
  • Options
    I met Card, being somewhat local to me, when he did a signing at the comic shop I was working for (we also sold SF/fantasy/horror books) in 1990 on the release of Maps in a Mirror (I still have my signed copy). He was a very nice guy. And though, we are on opposite sides when it comes to gay rights, he’s very much entitled to his opinion, which comes from his Mormon faith. I haven’t bought any of his books in a long time, but that’s more because of the direction his writing was going than because of his beliefs.

As for his writing, I think sometimes he’s excellent (Ender’s Game), and sometimes he’s awful (The Memory of Earth), but usually he’s simply very good. I haven’t read any of his previous superhero comics work, but if I had to pick a character suitable for him to write, Superman would be at the top of the list. The religious undertones (often overtones) to his writing would fit right in with a Superman story. Maybe they could get Ethan van Sciver to draw it. They’re both North Carolina residents, and they’d probably see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm really torn on this. On the one hand, I do think Card is a talented writer, and Legends of the Dark Knight is really scratching that "I don't like the New 52 very much and want *my* DC back" itch, and a Superman book that does the same thing is exactly the sort of Superman I want to read.

But on the other hand, I disagree with his opinions on homosexuality/gay marriage and, especially, the manner in which he has expressed them, and I don't want to support him with my money.

But I do want to support continuity-free/continuity-lite comics featuring DC characters the way I like them.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The manner which he expresses his views may be harsh but the idea that because he open supports a traditional view of marriage that he should not write Superman is a bit much.
  • Options

The manner which he expresses his views may be harsh but the idea that because he open supports a traditional view of marriage that he should not write Superman is a bit much.

I don't think so. Because it's not that he supports the traditional view, but that he opposes anything other than the traditional view. You have to take sides and support what you believe in. He believes that gay marriage is wrong... and I believe I'll take my patronage elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

He has every right to write Superman, and DC has every right to hire him to do so. But at the same time, those of us who disagree with what he says and/or how he says it have every right to not buy the book.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

His writing Superman is news to me. His novels have been pretty good, but I do have gay friends who, despite their serious addiction to really good SF, will not buy or read his books because of his statements about gays in general.

I get it. I have friends who are basically on the opposite side of the politcal spectrum from me. Sometimes we will talk about a muscician, writer, or actor that I like and they will say "how can you like this person, when they are on the opposite political side from you?" i always say something like, look... I like them. Why would i deny myself something I enjoy just because of their politics.

So I ignore politics all the time. But... Ive never really been a member of a targeted group before either.
  • Options
    I think their is a difference here. Bill Willingham is apparently quite conservative and this dosent stop me (a liberal) from enjoying Fables nor would I even think to care about a writers political affiliation. However their is a big difference from a standard garden variety political ideology and openly opposing an entire group of peoples civil rights. So I am with people on not wanting to support Card with my money and going so far as to say I will drop this book because of him.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    At least he's not writing Earth 2.
  • Options
    I don't want him writing Superman. It sends the wrong message. If they include characters like Batwoman and Bunker, and CHANGE ALAN SCOTT's Orientation, only to hire a noted anti gay bigot who chairs an organization that funnels money to the Ugandan Kill The Gays bill (oh yes, there is blood on his hands), it sends a mixed message at best.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    As others have said, there is a reason Card is polarizing. His views go beyond what one associates with those that side against equal marriage.

For those interested in his views in his own words, there is an essay he wrote in 1990

Including this excerpt, in which he moves from how the LDS should keep gays and lesbians our of their church, to what he feels should be done in America:
    . . .This applies also to the polity, the citizens at large. Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those whoflagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.

The goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail. The goal is to discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place, and, when they nevertheless proceed in their homosexual behavior, to encourage them to do so discreetly, so as not to shake the confidence of the community in the polity's ability to provide rules for safe, stable, dependable marriage and family relationships.

Those who would be members of a community must sacrifice the satisfaction of some of their individual desires in order to maintain the existence of that community. They must, in other words, obey the rules that define what that community is. Those who are not willing or able to obey the rules should honestly admit the fact and withdraw from membership.
    Gay=jail is (I only hope) a pretty far out of the mainstream view, even for opponents of equal marriage.

It is, of course, his right to believe and write what he wants. And DC or anyone else's right to hire him.

And my right to not buy anything with his name on it.

• Options
    Theconsensus seems to be against it. Are you so against it that you would write to DC to stop him or sign a petition?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2013
    Planeis said:

Theconsensus seems to be against it. Are you so against it that you would write to DC to stop him or sign a petition?

I wouldn't, as I don't feel personal politics, even odious hateful ones should dictate hiring and firing. That is unAmerican to me. I just won't support his work with my dollars.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Planeis said:

I wouldn't, as I don't feel personal politics, even odious hateful ones should dictate hiring and firing. That is unAmerican to me. I just won't support his work with my dollars.
    Well, I kind of agree. But not in this case. If we all worked for... lets say Blockbuster Video and we knew one of our co workers was an anti gay nutcase. I don't think it would be right to campaign to get him fired.

But this case, this aint his livelihood. His role seems to be pretty small, but what if he took on a more prominent role? Would we just stay away from DC altogether? I don't think it would be out of line to tell DC "this guy aint cool"
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited February 2013
    Planeis said:

Yes!

A guy who deals blows like that should be able to take a severe reprimand. Maybe it's not too late for him to learn a thing or two.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited February 2013
    Card also claims that both Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Harry Potter are ripoffs of Ender's Game.

The more he writes beyond his fiction, the harder it is to respect him. (And I, too, have met and liked him.)
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Card also published a whiny, bitter essay after the November election, insisting that the only reason Obama won the vote was because the media despised Mitt Romney and of course we all know that we voters sit in our chairs until the New York Times endorses someone and then we rush out and vote exactly as they tell us to. I agree with WetRats that Card does himself no favors when he comments on politics and culture. As to his comic work, I read his Iron Man series (I think it was Ultimate Iron Man) and didn't care much for it.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    If I dropped every title by an author with a political/moral ethos different from mine i would buy zero comics. I liked Ultimate Iron Man. Of course, Enders Game is some of the best science fiction ever written. I'm never going to be a guy that embrases LDS theology but dammit its a free country. you are allowed to believe what you want even if i personally find it abhorrent. I havn't stopped buying Gail Simone comics because I disagree with her politics. I havn't stopped buying Alan Moore comics because he's nuts (brilliant but, face it, nuts). If Card can crank out a good compelling story with interesting characters, i'm reading.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Typically, I couldn't care less what a creator's political views are. I'm aware that Bill Willingham, Ethan Van Sciver, etc, are conservative, but in order to learn their views with any specificity beyond that, I'd have to seek out interviews and quotes. In the case of Card, he's been pretty open about promoting his ideas, with little to no prodding from outside sources, so he apparently thinks it's important for people to hear. I've heard, didn't like what I heard, and chose not to buy the guy's work.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    random73 said:

If I dropped every title by an author with a political/moral ethos different from mine i would buy zero a few less comics.

(Had to change it so it applies to me personally! :) )

Off the top of my head three names spring to mind - Frank Miller, Billy Tucci, and Ethan Van Sciver - three people whose politics run about 180 degrees from my own. I buy Frank's books pretty much sight unseen, Billy and Ethan have sketches in my sketchbook, and I follow both of them on facebook (and if you do the same, you know what a no-man's land their posts are for left-leaning pinko commie nuts like me!) :)

It isn't easy to separate the artist from the art, but it can be done.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to your own beliefs, and your application of those beliefs to a particular individual. While I support gay rights, and hope we see a day in my lifetime where anyone can marry anyone in any state...it's not a push-button issue with me. If I were to find out tomorrow that Miller was 100% certifiably caught molesting children, all his books would be in the trash the next day. If I found out Tucci gets his rocks off abusing animals or running a dog-fighting ring, I'd remove that page from my book and shred it.

This is coming from a man who reads manga on a regular basis, so feel free to appreciate the irony/hypocrisy in the above paragraph. :)
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I'm a right-wing Christian conservative. I try to ignore actors/artists/directors/authors politics. Because if I didn't, my entertainment consumption would drop by 95%.

If the guy can write a good Superman story, then let him be. I think it is stupid for people to try and have him removed from the book because of his political views.
  • Options
    Of course, the upside of this is that he isn't writing Action Comics or Superman, but a digital-first, continuity-free, rotating creative team, pre-New 52 Superman series, like what they're doing right now with Legends of the Dark Knight. It'll come out in weekly installments at 99 cents online, get printed a month later at $3.99. So it's not like DC is putting this book front and center, and it's very easily skippable if you like.

Of course, Legends of the Dark Knight has been really good so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing them take this same approach with a Superman series. But still, it's easily missed and doesn't "count," so they're making it pretty easy to pass on.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

random73 said:

If I dropped every title by an author with a political/moral ethos different from mine i would buy zero a few less comics.

Off the top of my head three names spring to mind - Frank Miller, Billy Tucci, and Ethan Van Sciver - three people whose politics run about 180 degrees from my own. I buy Frank's books pretty much sight unseen, Billy and Ethan have sketches in my sketchbook, and I follow both of them on facebook (and if you do the same, you know what a no-man's land their posts are for left-leaning pinko commie nuts like me!) :)

It isn't easy to separate the artist from the art, but it can be done.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to your own beliefs, and your application of those beliefs to a particular individual. While I support gay rights, and hope we see a day in my lifetime where anyone can marry anyone in any state...it's not a push-button issue with me. If I were to find out tomorrow that Miller was 100% certifiably caught molesting children, all his books would be in the trash the next day. If I found out Tucci gets his rocks off abusing animals or running a dog-fighting ring, I'd remove that page from my book and shred it.
    Sometimes I can separate the art from the artist, sometimes I can't. I disagree with Tucci, I think Miller is a little... out there, and I think Neal Adams's expanding earth theories are, let's say, scientifically unfounded. But where those guys are concerned, I can chalk it up to a difference in opinion.

With someone like Card, I think he has been at times rather belligerent in his statements, and I have a much harder time with that. And this isn't just a political thing. My terrible con run-in with Evan Dorkin soured me on his work, and Tony Harris's little explosion of dickishness toward cosplayers and "fake" girl geeks a month or two back made it so I'll be skipping anything he produces from here on out.

I can easily overlook differing opinions. I cannot overlook someone being a hateful douchebag.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

random73 said:

I MAY be prone to hyperbole...
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

I MAY be prone to hyperbole...

Hyperbole?

On The Comic Forums?

Madness!
  • Options

I don't believe current efforts to legalize "gay marriage" are a good idea, and I flatly oppose them. Am I allowed to have that view? Can I say it here? How about if I wrote a comic about it? Will the CBLDF defend my free speech and will you still support the CBLDF?

You either believe in freedom of conscience, speech and thought or you don't, and if you freak out every time someone gets a JOB who doesn't agree with you, I can assure you that you do not.

Now, if you were talk with me about the issue, what you would find out is that I support Domestic Partnerships for ALL households/families, gay, straight or whatever else. Because to expand marriage to include two men or two women is no less arbitrary or exclusionary than the current definition, only it doesn't even have the benefit of a unique biological foundation. It's Constitutionally indefensible, and it's STILL an imposition of the morality of the majority on the minority in ways that are frankly none of the government's business. Or mine. I don't care if someone falls in love with a chair, and they can marry it for all I care. So I personally do not think "gay marriage" is fair ENOUGH.

All that to say, I will be buying me some Orson Scott Card Superman.

Well said. Consider yourself kissed. I'm with you on both the Gay marrage stance and the freedom to believe whatever the hell you want stance
  • Options
    kgforce said:

I'm a right-wing Christian conservative. I try to ignore actors/artists/directors/authors politics. Because if I didn't, my entertainment consumption would drop by 95%.

If the guy can write a good Superman story, then let him be. I think it is stupid for people to try and have him removed from the book because of his political views.

Why did someone mark this "off topic" when it's clearly on topic? What's going on with this off topic nonsense?
  • Options
    Card was a very early Internet adopter. He had an online presence in the eighties. He was also one of the first writers to write books "publicly". Allowing his fans to read chapters as he went, offering their reactions and comments.

I participated in these forums in the early nineties. And exchanged the occasional email with Card. He always seemed like a gentle and compassionate person. He rarely discussed politics directly. And his indirect comments weren't controversial.

I'd heard that he'd expressed some extreme views in publications geared at Mormons. But it didn't jibe with my experience so I discounted it.

By the mid to late nineties, he'd become much more public with his right wing views. And his online presence went form generous and compassionate to surly and belligerent.

I don't really know if Card had changed. Or if that early persona had been an act. But his views on a lot of things, including writing. Went from rather interesting to very odd.