Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sigh.... looks like I might not be reading DC Comics much longer

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Tonebone said:

DC's New 52, in ten years, will be a big box of GRAY.

In the same way that 90s books, now that it's been ten years+, are nothing but women in g-strings, poorly drawn anatomy, leather pouches, and foil-wrapped variants. There was absolutely NOTHING good going on in 90s comics. What a sad joke that period was for the industry...

Oh but wait, there was the Maxx. That was actually a good book. And didn't Bone come out then as well? Then there was that Moore chap and his Strangers in Paradise. And Peter David did a helluva good Supergirl run during that period.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. There are quite a few diamonds in the rough. Let the cream rise to the top. The bird in your hand is better than the Batman in the bush....I'm running out of colloquialisms here... :)

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Torchsong said:

Tonebone said:

In the same way that 90s books, now that it's been ten years+, are nothing but women in g-strings, poorly drawn anatomy, leather pouches, and foil-wrapped variants. There was absolutely NOTHING good going on in 90s comics. What a sad joke that period was for the industry...

Oh but wait, there was the Maxx. That was actually a good book. And didn't Bone come out then as well? Then there was that Moore chap and his Strangers in Paradise. And Peter David did a helluva good Supergirl run during that period.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. There are quite a few diamonds in the rough. Let the cream rise to the top. The bird in your hand is better than the Batman in the bush....I'm running out of colloquialisms here... :)

I think there are good things there. On your (I think it was you) reccomendation i got 14 issues of WW from the library and really liked it. might subscribe to that when my Batman and Superman subscription runs out.

I think as a business decision, at least for now, the reboot has been good for DC. Creatively... I just don't know. The new comics they've come out with or certain directions they've gone creatively I think they could have done without doing this half-way reboot. I think that in the long run will seem like a bad decision because its just kind of a mess.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Torchsong said:

Tonebone said:

I think there are good things there. On your (I think it was you) reccomendation i got 14 issues of WW from the library and really liked it. might subscribe to that when my Batman and Superman subscription runs out.

I think as a business decision, at least for now, the reboot has been good for DC. Creatively... I just don't know. The new comics they've come out with or certain directions they've gone creatively I think they could have done without doing this half-way reboot. I think that in the long run will seem like a bad decision because its just kind of a mess.
    I agree that a reboot is not a necessity for creativity. "For the Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow", both in the pantheon of the best DC stories of the 20th century, were done using the pre-crisis DC characters. It didn't hold him back. At all.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Tonebone said:

I am all for that opinion, and there are a few DC books that are still worth reading...but it all just seems like Marvel in the 90's. People can blame Dedio all they want, but if you look at the credits page of the DC books (especially the editors) most of them came from an era at Marvel where the editors would dictate what was in the books, rewrite books up until the last minute, and wouldn't tell the writers what they had changed.

It's definitely a case of "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"...and this time Bobbie Chase doesn't have Peter David to raise her bell curve.

Oh yeah. I went there.

• Options
    Good grief. Is someone reading Superman? Besides me? It just gets worse and worse.

But besides that, in this weeks comments there is a comment in the comic, essentially from the writer, regarding Superman and Wonder Womans relationship. Its not a thought from Supes or WW, its the writer narrating. He refers to Wonder Woman as Superman's "lover"

Now, I don't have a problem with WW and Supes. None. My problem is this. I've read a lot of WW. I've read a lot of Superman. I've read Justice League. I've seen NO signs whatsoever of them having any relationship. In the other recent issues of Superman they have referenced the kiss, but thats it. I haven't seen any indication they have a real relationship, that they are in love... or that they are physically lovers. Is the writer going off the rails here or what? Did I miss an issue somewhere of them having a real relationship?

This is one of my problems with the current DCU. Everything seems to be "go go go, action action action, fight fight fight" even more than before, there's is no room for character growth or character interaction outside of the slug fests.
  • Options
    Also... good lord with the cleavage. Try to keep from going overboard artists. Sheesh.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited February 2013
    Planeis said:

Also... good lord with the cleavage. Try to keep from going overboard artists. Sheesh.

I didn't notice the cleavage until you pointed it out.

Thanks? :p
  • Options
    Am I reading it right in that image that she's "Prince" Diana of the Amazons?

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Orson Scott Card is obviously not writing that story.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Wow. Got that off the net. Checked my copy. Yup. Says "prince". Maybe this whole lover thing is a mistake. Maybe they meant to write "besties"
  • Options
    Most likely it's a typo. I can forgive that in most indie books with low budgets but DC can afford to hire a proofreader.

Cue Didio coming into say: "You see, in Amazon culture, there are no men, so they attribute masculine titles to their positions of . . . you're not buying this, are you?" :)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Cut Supergirl from my pull list today. It just hasn't been reading well without the rest of the H'el on Earth crossover, which I haven't been buying and won't be forced into. Call me old-fashioned, but I think a book should always be completely readable as its own entity with a clear beginning, middle, and end, even in the midst of a crossover.

DC maintains an equilibrium, though, because I added Legends of the Dark Knight. I am apparently willing to pony up the extra buck to be willing to read pre-Flashpoint Batman (yeah, I know, I could read it digitally but I don't have a tablet and don't like comics on my phone if I can avoid it).
  • Options
    @libraryboy

You aint missing anything with this H'el on Earth nonsense.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Planeis said:

@libraryboy

You aint missing anything with this H'el on Earth nonsense.

Yeah, I figured.

I did notice a cover blurb of, IIRC, Superboy in which DC finally admitted that Superman now wears armor ("WTF? Superboy is wearing Superman's 1337 armor? ROXXORZZ!!!!1!" or some such nonsense). They kept trying to downplay that in the beginning.

So there's that? Maybe?

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Most likely it's a typo. I can forgive that in most indie books with low budgets but DC can afford to hire a proofreader.

Cue Didio coming into say: "You see, in Amazon culture, there are no men, so they attribute masculine titles to their positions of . . . you're not buying this, are you?" :)

That kind of typo is just sloppiness on the part of the editorial staff. The recent Aquaman (#16) has two glaring typos: the past tense of a word where the present tense is called for ('agreed' instead of 'agree') and the common confusion of using 'your' for 'you're'. Writers and letterers may make mistakes, but I expect editors to catch and correct them.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

That kind of typo is just sloppiness on the part of the editorial staff. The recent Aquaman (#16) has two glaring typos: the past tense of a word where the present tense is called for ('agreed' instead of 'agree') and the common confusion of using 'your' for 'you're'. Writers and letterers may make mistakes, but I expect editors to catch and correct them.
    I think they also spelled Arthur's name wrong
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Torchsong said:

I think they also spelled Arthur's name wrong
    Yes!!!! I knew I saw another typo in there! It's misspelled as 'Aruthur' in one panel! That's three typos in one issue! That proofreader should be fired!

• Options
    I make my own books, and I when I catch a typo (rare but it happens) I've nowhere to point the finger but at myself (and let me tell you, I chew Me out ROYALLY when it happens! :) ). The balls on the Big 2 to send books out like this drives me up the wall.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    Torchsong said:

The bird in your hand is better than the Batman in the bush....I'm running out of colloquialisms here... :)

There's a Catwoman #1 joke in there somewhere...
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I make my own books, and I when I catch a typo (rare but it happens) I've nowhere to point the finger but at myself (and let me tell you, I chew Me out ROYALLY when it happens! :) ). The balls on the Big 2 to send books out like this drives me up the wall.

The thing we forget is that, though their job title is Editor, actual editing is among the last of their jobs. More of their time is spent acquiring talent, and then scheduling them, and making sure deadlines are hit. With the increased emphasis placed on the latter, other things end up falling by the wayside, copy editing being one of them. It's a problem in all areas of publishing. Acquisition and time to market become the paramount activity, and so quality control falls victim. A late book doesn't much bother me, but a stupid typo drives me absolutely nuts!
  • Options
    Paul said:

Torchsong said:

The thing we forget is that, though their job title is Editor, actual editing is among the last of their jobs. More of their time is spent acquiring talent, and then scheduling them, and making sure deadlines are hit. With the increased emphasis placed on the latter, other things end up falling by the wayside, copy editing being one of them. It's a problem in all areas of publishing. Acquisition and time to market become the paramount activity, and so quality control falls victim. A late book doesn't much bother me, but a stupid typo drives me absolutely nuts!
    A quick Google search shows a gentleman whose résumé states he is currently a proofreader for DC, so surprisingly enough they still have that level of quality control in place. Now whether anyone actually did proofread the book is another matter; it certainly doesn’t appear so.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I wonder with the growing number of cancellations and negative attitudes (assuming this board isn't an aberration), if DC will consider wiping out the New 52-verse and going back to the original Universe. Kind of like getting rid of New Coke.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

I wonder with the growing number of cancellations and negative attitudes (assuming this board isn't an aberration), if DC will consider wiping out the New 52-verse and going back to the original Universe. Kind of like getting rid of New Coke.

I think the genie is out of the bottle and there's no putting it back in now. Unless there's a sweeping layoff of everyone on the current editorial board (and nobody's firing Jim Lee or Geoff Johns, I wouldn't think), the New 52 is here to stay. Nobody wants to admit that it was a mistake, if that's what it was.

• Options

Paul said:

Torchsong said:

A quick Google search shows a gentleman whose résumé states he is currently a proofreader for DC, so surprisingly enough they still have that level of quality control in place. Now whether anyone actually did proofread the book is another matter; it certainly doesn’t appear so.
    Yeah, an editor at one of the big publishers has a crew working under him: assistants, interns, staff production, etc. If he isn't able to do the proofreading himself, he has someone assigned to it, someone directly answerable to him. But even so, his is the final responsibility, and it's his name on the editorial masthead.
  • Options

Paul said:

Torchsong said:

Considering the output, he might want to rethink its inclusion on his resume. ;)
  • Options

Paul said:

Torchsong said:

Yeah, an editor at one of the big publishers has a crew working under him: assistants, interns, staff production, etc. If he isn't able to do the proofreading himself, he has someone assigned to it, someone directly answerable to him. But even so, his is the final responsibility, and it's his name on the editorial masthead.
    Well, that certainly used to be the case at any rate. Even the big publishers have made cut-backs to staff, and usually a designated proofreader is one of the first positions to go, with the work falling to an assistant editor or copy editor. With sales not what they once were, I was expecting that DC had an intern doing the proofreading these days.

Proofreading should be the final step in the production process before sending the files off to the printer. And, yes, the ultimate responsibility falls to the editor to make sure that’s done and done properly. I wonder if the book was running late and had to be shipped off before a final check could be made. It doesn’t excuse the mistakes, but it would certainly explain the egregiousness of the errors.
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

I think for them its a success so far. I think sales are still up.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

I think for them its a success so far. I think sales are still up.
    Only for a handful of titles, notably Batman, Green Lantern and Justice League. There are a number of titles that are doing okay to middling (meaning only slightly better than, or about the same as, sales before the New52), and several more skirting the whirlpool of cancellation. And remember that only a third or less of the original 52 are still around.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    where can one look up the sales figures?
  • Options
    I normally just google it. It's pretty easy to find. BUT I've never seen sales figures for digital sales and I'm not sure that DC releases them. So if a title like Wonder Woman has settled down into the 30k-40k range there might be 5,000 sales we don't know about. Maybe less, maybe more. Who knows.