Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's your favorite Super Hero?

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Howard the Duck!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Fievel Mousekewitz
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Every time I get this question I always think back to Brodie in Mallrats: "Wow! That's a great question. Tough one, though I mean, what does one gauge his response on? Physical prowess? Keen detection skills? The ability to banter well with super villians?"

In all seriousness, though, I have a bunch:

Captain Marvel (the original) is probably my very favorite, for the whole "youth empowered as an adult/magical wish fulfillment/best fever dream ever" aspect.

Superman for the ideal he represents, using the gifts you have to help where and when you can because it's the right thing to do.

Batman for the inspirational idea of rising up from terrible tragedy to make sure That Never Happens Again (also, because he's just really damn cool with the car and the gadgets and things).

The Thing (when he's not written all mopey) for making the best of a crap situation and being the Everyman/everyone's buddy kind of guy.

Spider-Man for the responsibility, the ability to find humor in any situation, and just being really smart.
  • Options
    GiannaD11GiannaD11 Posts: 50
    @LibraryBoy,

Yes, it's a fairly tough question. I've always loved the X-men and all the characters. Spiderman was one of my all time favorites. Bat Man was another favorite of mine. Honestly, I love all super heroes.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Batman
    followed by Captain America, Superman (Pre New52), Captain Marvel (DC).
  • Options
    TreverCTreverC Posts: 9

Spider-Man for the responsibility, the ability to find humor in any situation, and just being really smart.

And that is exactly why he's my favorite superhero.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Dick Grayson under any guise.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Kevin Matchstick. Especially in the first volume, he is the character I most identify with.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Superman.

Matthew
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    TreverC said:

And that is exactly why he's my favorite superhero.

DITTO
  • Options
    Superman... not the battle armor New 52 one... the real one.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited March 2013
    With this specific question, my answer could only be Spider-man. The initial reasoning is hard to deny or add to.

If the criteria would be comic hero, then it'd be a tough decision between the superpowered Spider-man (favorite as a kid), the non-superhero Batman (favorite as an adult), & the antihero the Shadow (character I discovered in CGS era)

M
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Spider-Man for so many reasons.
  • Options
    Captain America.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I know they are a team..a family actually..but I'd have to go with The Fantastic Four.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I'll throw my hat in for the ol' web-head. Ever since I met him in a mall when I was a wee tot...
  • Options
    Green Lantern, any GL
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    This is a good question. I remember when I first read Green Lantern and I just loved the character and his power but what eventually got Hal Jordan as my favorite character was when they eventually did the story arc where the Guardians basically kicked him off Earth for an entire year and he was this heroic character in space fighting bad guys. As someone who loved Star Wars, Star Trek and Doctor Who, this was so up my alley. A science fiction superhero. I have always maintained that Hal is the James T. Kirk of the DC Universe and so that boosted him to my top spot.

Dick Grayson. To me, he was my gateway into the Batman Universe. I feel that I was seeing things from his point of view in the same way one might see the Universe of the Doctor through the eye of the companion. Also, from having read Dick Grayson as a kid, I felt like I grew up with the character and I watched him grow into his own person and become Nightwing so he's always had a special place in my heart.
  • Options
    I really can't explain it, other than I'm pretty sure it was the costume that caught my eye when I first encountered the Super Friends on TV, but the Flash has always been "my guy." The Barry Allen Flash series, with Carmine Infantino on art, was the first superhero comic I collected (roughly a year before it was canceled back in the mid-80s), and for a long time its successor, with Wally West now the focus, was my favorite superhero book, especially once Mark Waid took over.

chris
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Golden Age Captain Marvel.
    Captain Marvel Adventures might be the greatest comic magazine of all time. Each issue featured stories of whimsy to stuff that would make Grant Morrison's head spin. All beautifully drawn. CC Beck is close to the top of my "Doesn't get enough love" list.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Can't narrow it down to just one.

1.The Question-Vice Sage version
    2.Animal Man-First discovered him in Who's Who and been a fan since then.
    3.Valkyrie-Liked her when I was younger and going back and rereading the original Defenders run she has become a huge favorite of mine
    4.Plastic Man- Really love the old Jack Cole stuff.
    5.The Tick-While the cartoon and live action show are great,the comic version is so amazing. I really wish Ben Edlund would come back and do more work on the Tick.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Easy.

It's The Flaming Carrot.

Free from the shackles of an origin story, The Flaming Carrot is the purest of all superheroes. Ut!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    dubbat138 said:

5.The Tick-While the cartoon and live action show are great,the comic version is so amazing. I really wish Ben Edlund would come back and do more work on the Tick.

Right there with you on the Jack Cole Plastic Man and The Tick. When the Plastic Man Archives were coming out, I would read them to my kid as bedtime stories, and for a while Plastic Man was his favorite character (Flash and Beast Boy eventually knocked him into third place). And The Tick was one of the main reasons I got back into comics. When I was a freshman in college, I walked past a comic shop and saw a poster for the then-new Dr. Fate series, which was intriguing enough to get me to go in and pick up the first two issues (#2 had just come out). I came back for the third issue and saw the second printings of the first two issues of The Tick. Between the two of them, I became a regular at the shop, and eventually had a pretty big list.

That being said, I can’t narrow it down to one favorite character. There are no characters I love so much that I would buy their book no matter who was producing it. There are characters I prefer over others, of course, but for the most part it just depends on the creative team behind the character. For example, I love the concept behind Metamorpho, and I love the old Bob Haney/Ramona Fradon Metamorpho comics, but the character as he’s been treated the last ten, fifteen years or so doesn’t interest me at all.

If I had to choose, I would probably pick Aquaman, because I’m fascinated with the ocean. As a kid growing up, I wanted to be Jacques Cousteau. And Aquaman at the time was drawn by Jim Aparo, who was my favorite artist back then, so that didn’t hurt. Of course, the Aquaman series I would really like to read would probably be cancelled after six issues. If any of you have heard/read the pitch Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo made for an Aquaman series back in the late ’90s, that’s the version I would love to see. You can read it here if you’re interested. Ironically, Ian Chuchhill’s short-lived Marineman series came fairly close to the Aquaman I want.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    ...on the other hand, I might go with Herbie Popnecker...
  • Options
    I cannot honestly say I have a top favorite. Yeah, I do a Green Lantern podcast AND blog, but that's not necessarily reason enough to count GL and the extended Lantern family as my top superhero choice. So after the lanterns I may as well just list off my favorites...

Ragman, Firestar, Firestorm, Phantom Stranger, Deadman, Thor, Gambit, Dawnstar, Dream Girl, Shadow Lass and the Flash.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

dubbat138 said:

Right there with you on the Jack Cole Plastic Man and The Tick. When the Plastic Man Archives were coming out, I would read them to my kid as bedtime stories, and for a while Plastic Man was his favorite character (Flash and Beast Boy eventually knocked him into third place). And The Tick was one of the main reasons I got back into comics. When I was a freshman in college, I walked past a comic shop and saw a poster for the then-new Dr. Fate series, which was intriguing enough to get me to go in and pick up the first two issues (#2 had just come out). I came back for the third issue and saw the second printings of the first two issues of The Tick. Between the two of them, I became a regular at the shop, and eventually had a pretty big list.

That being said, I can’t narrow it down to one favorite character. There are no characters I love so much that I would buy their book no matter who was producing it. There are characters I prefer over others, of course, but for the most part it just depends on the creative team behind the character. For example, I love the concept behind Metamorpho, and I love the old Bob Haney/Ramona Fradon Metamorpho comics, but the character as he’s been treated the last ten, fifteen years or so doesn’t interest me at all.

If I had to choose, I would probably pick Aquaman, because I’m fascinated with the ocean. As a kid growing up, I wanted to be Jacques Cousteau. And Aquaman at the time was drawn by Jim Aparo, who was my favorite artist back then, so that didn’t hurt. Of course, the Aquaman series I would really like to read would probably be cancelled after six issues. If any of you have heard/read the pitch Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo made for an Aquaman series back in the late ’90s, that’s the version I would love to see. You can read it here if you’re interested. Ironically, Ian Chuchhill’s short-lived Marineman series came fairly close to the Aquaman I want.
    Shit I knew I forgot someone. I also love Metamorpho. Got the DC Showcase presents Metamorpho trade was amazed at the artwork. The Plastic Man Archives are some amazing volumes of comic goodness. I was first exposed to Plastic Man by the Ruby Spears cartoon. And been a fan every since then. I wish they would release the later Plastic Man cartoon that has Plastic baby on dvd.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Shit I knew I forgot someone. I also love Metamorpho. Got the DC Showcase presents Metamorpho trade was amazed at the artwork. The Plastic Man Archives are some amazing volumes of comic goodness. I was first exposed to Plastic Man by the Ruby Spears cartoon. And been a fan every since then. I wish they would release the later Plastic Man cartoon that has Plastic baby on dvd.
    There always this.
  • Options
    The ever-lovin', blue-eyed idol o' millions
  • Options

The ever-lovin', blue-eyed idol o' millions

Frank Sinatra?