Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

JaxUr said:

I believe Superman Returns was the 6th highest grossing film of 2006. It did respectable boxoffice but I guess "not enough" to launch a franchise. As for steep drops at the cinema, that seems to be more common as movies don't span entire summmers any longer like they did in the 1980s. Try to find Iron Man 3 now.

?

Iron Man 3 is still in the theaters and still doing pretty well, if to reduced sales because of the newer releases emerging.
    Agreed. Not the first time I've claims that IM3 has completely been erased from the box office landscape. It's still doing decent business considering how long its been out and the insane competition its facing.
  • Options
    Matt said:

DAR said:

Box office was 46 million last night. And it's projected to make 120 million plus there was 12 million from a Walmart sneak for 132 million since Thursday night. And now the DC movie verse can begin.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

As much as I like DC movies being less a comic book movie (leaving that to Marvel) and more a reality based (as you can get with meta humans & aliens), I'm not 100% certain the DC movie verse is guaranteed now.

The 1st weekend can kick ass, but it could drop off quickly. I enjoyed the movie & would see it multiple times, but that does mean all the people I tell about it would. Didn't Superman Returns open big to just to drop off quick?

M
    At this point, an attempt at a DC movie verse absolutely is guranteed now. The rest is going to be up to what WB brings out and whether or not they are succesful. If some of the projections for this weekend are true, it is basically guranteed to make $300 million in the US and at least that much (most likely more) overseas. Man of Steel II, or maybe it'll just be called "Superman" is assured. Whether or not WB can put together successful movies of JLA, or maybe one of their other characters first just depends.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

DAR said:

Box office was 46 million last night. And it's projected to make 120 million plus there was 12 million from a Walmart sneak for 132 million since Thursday night. And now the DC movie verse can begin.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

As much as I like DC movies being less a comic book movie (leaving that to Marvel) and more a reality based (as you can get with meta humans & aliens), I'm not 100% certain the DC movie verse is guaranteed now.

The 1st weekend can kick ass, but it could drop off quickly. I enjoyed the movie & would see it multiple times, but that does mean all the people I tell about it would. Didn't Superman Returns open big to just to drop off quick?

M
    At this point, an attempt at a DC movie verse absolutely is guranteed now. The rest is going to be up to what WB brings out and whether or not they are succesful. If some of the projections for this weekend are true, it is basically guranteed to make $300 million in the US and at least that much (most likely more) overseas. Man of Steel II, or maybe it'll just be called "Superman" is assured. Whether or not WB can put together successful movies of JLA, or maybe one of their other characters first just depends.
    Somewhere online earlier this week I saw the rumour of it being called "Son of Krypton".
  • Options
    khankhan Posts: 2
    People haven't you noticed that this movie has similarities to movies like Thor, Independence Day, First Blood. Snyder has made grave errors in Directing this Superman movie, it won't be great, because, he's messed it up in certain areas of the movie, it has no storyline to Clark Kent and then coupled with his alto ego Superman and Lois Lane the dynamic, dashing woman being the energetic and intelligent Daily Planet Reporter she is, it was absent, nothing like the DC Comics. Lois character is more and it should stick to the comics, if you recall in Smallville, Lois Lane was alluring, beautiful, intelligent and can fight as well, because, in the comics, her abilities of a reporter is a martial arts fighter, that made sense, but, with the movie, it wasn't to be seen. Furthermore, what should have been done in the movie, this my intelligible idea of how the movie should've panned out and being a writer, so I am speaking on the writer's point of view and if I was writing this screenplay story it would have begun the Kryptonian Planet scene, that was fine and I liked that beginning part, but, after that the movie should have started with Clark Kent at the Daily Planet, though, he has flashbacks of his childhood, so his thoughts are still reminiscing with his true identity and secretly fighting crime. The main theme of the story should always focus on the reason for Clark Kent/Superman, it should be a story based movie and Man Of Steel didn't have a solid story, it was redundant throughout the movie. I would have the Lois Lane character doing her job at the Daily Planet, but, whenever something occurred, Clark Kent was absent and this arouses her suspicion, but, Clark Kent's geeky attitude protects him, that's the Comic perspective point of view on the characters. If you look at Lois Lane's role in the movie, Clark Kent reveals himself too soon, this isn't how you want to build a story in a movie, it was all Directed poorly by Snyder. You make a movie based a strong story line, couple with detective work by Lois Lane and Clark Kent, if Superman was Clark Kent fighting crime secretly and that chemistry like the DC Comics, it does justice and build a chemistry between two main focal characters, Clark Kent and Lois Lane, and then you get a true story, that's why I believe that the TV Series such as The New Adventures Of Superman (Dean Cain/Terri Hatcher) and Smallville were purely based on how the Comics portrayed both characters. Whenever you write a story, you build a good solid character and then gradually it develops into something unique, as a writer, I strongly believe in characters that need good dialogue commentaries in the movie, this movie never had any in the first place. The blame will lie upon the writers and average Directing by Snyder and the direction wasn't right in the movie. Finally, it seems Hollywood Screenwriters have forgotten how to write a good story for a movie, always be faithful to the comics and especially the characters should always be center point, whereby it allows you to build your story around the main characters, Clark Kent and Lois Lane, this wasn't a true Superman, but, more a revamped modern version of it, nothing like the DC Comic Characters. Why was the TV Series of The New Adventures Of Superman and Smallville were brilliant, because, the story was primarily focused upon the two main characters and Man Of Steel was job done poor.

Arshad Khan
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited June 2013
    khan said:

People haven't you noticed that this movie has similarities to movies like Thor, Independence Day, First Blood. Snyder has made grave errors in Directing this Superman movie, it won't be great, because, he's messed it up in certain areas of the movie, it has no storyline to Clark Kent and then coupled with his alto ego Superman and Lois Lane the dynamic, dashing woman being the energetic and intelligent Daily Planet Reporter she is, it was absent, nothing like the DC Comics. Lois character is more and it should stick to the comics, if you recall in Smallville, Lois Lane was alluring, beautiful, intelligent and can fight as well, because, in the comics, her abilities of a reporter is a martial arts fighter, that made sense, but, with the movie, it wasn't to be seen. Furthermore, what should have been done in the movie, this my intelligible idea of how the movie should've panned out and being a writer, so I am speaking on the writer's point of view and if I was writing this screenplay story it would have begun the Kryptonian Planet scene, that was fine and I liked that beginning part, but, after that the movie should have started with Clark Kent at the Daily Planet, though, he has flashbacks of his childhood, so his thoughts are still reminiscing with his true identity and secretly fighting crime. The main theme of the story should always focus on the reason for Clark Kent/Superman, it should be a story based movie and Man Of Steel didn't have a solid story, it was redundant throughout the movie. I would have the Lois Lane character doing her job at the Daily Planet, but, whenever something occurred, Clark Kent was absent and this arouses her suspicion, but, Clark Kent's geeky attitude protects him, that's the Comic perspective point of view on the characters. If you look at Lois Lane's role in the movie, Clark Kent reveals himself too soon, this isn't how you want to build a story in a movie, it was all Directed poorly by Snyder. You make a movie based a strong story line, couple with detective work by Lois Lane and Clark Kent, if Superman was Clark Kent fighting crime secretly and that chemistry like the DC Comics, it does justice and build a chemistry between two main focal characters, Clark Kent and Lois Lane, and then you get a true story, that's why I believe that the TV Series such as The New Adventures Of Superman (Dean Cain/Terri Hatcher) and Smallville were purely based on how the Comics portrayed both characters. Whenever you write a story, you build a good solid character and then gradually it develops into something unique, as a writer, I strongly believe in characters that need good dialogue commentaries in the movie, this movie never had any in the first place. The blame will lie upon the writers and average Directing by Snyder and the direction wasn't right in the movie. Finally, it seems Hollywood Screenwriters have forgotten how to write a good story for a movie, always be faithful to the comics and especially the characters should always be center point, whereby it allows you to build your story around the main characters, Clark Kent and Lois Lane, this wasn't a true Superman, but, more a revamped modern version of it, nothing like the DC Comic Characters. Why was the TV Series of The New Adventures Of Superman and Smallville were brilliant, because, the story was primarily focused upon the two main characters and Man Of Steel was job done poor.

Arshad Khan

@khan, dude, I do see those similarities. I'm fairly certain Snyder was not the writer (who seems to be taking shots here), and what you describe is YOUR movie. That's not the them Nolan & Goyer were going for. You don't have to agree WITH it, but don't make those of us who enjoyed the story told seem like idiots because we saw something you didn't in the "Year One" of Clark Kent.

I've got some more good bits in the other thread where you posted this, but here's more for you:

I don't see Superman fighting crime the way Batman would. Save the day from major disasters, stop an occasional crime in process, yes...put not working surveillances, not responding every crime to solve the case.

You got a sense of why Clark is who he is in this story. Part of that comes from knowing who you are & where you 'belong.' Maybe I'm the only person who's taken that challenge on to understand how important it is & how it plays into the movie.

I didn't get the feeling Lois couldn't hold her own. Was she fistfighting with the Kryptonians? No, but that doesn't mean she couldn't fight. I did think Lois met Clark too soon, BUT doesn't HOW she met him that early coincide with your point about her being an investigative reporter (who knows martial arts...though wouldn't that be more relevant because of her military father?) AND if we're eyeballing that notion, if she's THAT good then why did she never realize Clark & Superman are one in the same?

You indicating Lois should be doing her work & get suspicious of Clark and investigate him. Why? Why can't Lois be Lois and not take the lead rather then follow Clark?

M

Also, as a side note, please include paragraphs in long posts. It makes it easier to read & follow. Plus, @wetrats is like the Paragraph Police. He'll take lengthy, singular posts down in a single bound!
  • Options
    khan said:

People haven't you noticed that this movie has similarities to movies like Thor, Independence Day, First Blood. Snyder has made grave errors in Directing this Superman movie, it won't be great, because, he's messed it up in certain areas of the movie, it has no storyline to Clark Kent and then coupled with his alto ego Superman and Lois Lane the dynamic, dashing woman being the energetic and intelligent Daily Planet Reporter she is, it was absent, nothing like the DC Comics. Lois character is more and it should stick to the comics, if you recall in Smallville, Lois Lane was alluring, beautiful, intelligent and can fight as well, because, in the comics, her abilities of a reporter is a martial arts fighter, that made sense, but, with the movie, it wasn't to be seen. Furthermore, what should have been done in the movie, this my intelligible idea of how the movie should've panned out and being a writer, so I am speaking on the writer's point of view and if I was writing this screenplay story it would have begun the Kryptonian Planet scene, that was fine and I liked that beginning part, but, after that the movie should have started with Clark Kent at the Daily Planet, though, he has flashbacks of his childhood, so his thoughts are still reminiscing with his true identity and secretly fighting crime. The main theme of the story should always focus on the reason for Clark Kent/Superman, it should be a story based movie and Man Of Steel didn't have a solid story, it was redundant throughout the movie. I would have the Lois Lane character doing her job at the Daily Planet, but, whenever something occurred, Clark Kent was absent and this arouses her suspicion, but, Clark Kent's geeky attitude protects him, that's the Comic perspective point of view on the characters. If you look at Lois Lane's role in the movie, Clark Kent reveals himself too soon, this isn't how you want to build a story in a movie, it was all Directed poorly by Snyder. You make a movie based a strong story line, couple with detective work by Lois Lane and C.....
    Arshad Khan

I stopped reading when your post made no sense and was super hard to read....
  • Options
    VKMarionVKMarion Posts: 37
    Superman is back and better than ever! Lived up to all my expectations, and in my opinion, was the best super hero movie made to date. I know some people will be polarized on it, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I absolutely had a blast watching it. It mixed Birthright, Earth One, New 52 and Smallville into one really modern version of the character, and never slummed it with corny moments or fart jokes. Superman was shown as Epic, noble, self sacrificing, and most importantly: cool. Go see it!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    VKMarion said:

Superman is back and better than ever! Lived up to all my expectations, and in my opinion, was the best super hero movie made to date. I know some people will be polarized on it, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I absolutely had a blast watching it. It mixed Birthright, Earth One, New 52 and Smallville into one really modern version of the character, and never slummed it with corny moments or fart jokes. Superman was shown as Epic, noble, self sacrificing, and most importantly: cool. Go see it!

I thought it was good, but flawed.

It could have used a touch of humor. It could even have used a few more scenes of Superman actually enjoying his powers.

I will agree that the lack of fart jokes was a shining moment for the film.

And I hold that The Avengers is, thus far, still the best superhero movie ever made. (With the possible exception of The Incredibles.)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

And I hold that The Avengers is, thus far, still the best superhero movie ever made. (With the possible exception of The Incredibles.)

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I agree with you about the Avengers.

As I've said before, I do hope this will be the first Superman film that I truly enjoy.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

Also, as a side note, please include paragraphs in long posts. It makes it easier to read & follow. Plus, @wetrats is like the Paragraph Police. He'll take lengthy, singular posts down in a single bound!

=))

My Return Key has a cape.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Saw it last night. pretty much exactly what I expected. Enjoyable and entertaining but lacking quite a bit. A big awesome specticale but lacking heart (both the character and the story). Certainly not Superman in my eyes and that saddens me but I knew going in that would be the case.
    Some things I liked more than expected and some I disliked more than expected. No real surprises. 3 out of 5 for me.
  • Options
    I loved Man of Steel!
    Since we're weighing in on best superhero movies...
    1. The Dark Knight - so good that it doesn't even seem like a superhero movie.
    2. Man of Steel
    3. Avengers
    4. Batman Begins
    5. Superman
    6. Watchmen
    7. Iron Man
    8. Dark Knight Rises
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    batlaw said:

Saw it last night. pretty much exactly what I expected. Enjoyable and entertaining but lacking quite a bit. A big awesome specticale but lacking heart (both the character and the story). Certainly not Superman in my eyes and that saddens me but I knew going in that would be the case.
    Some things I liked more than expected and some I disliked more than expected. No real surprises. 3 out of 5 for me.

When you say it lacks "heart" what does this mean? Some other critics had mentioned this too. I don't think anyone claimed Nolan 's movies needed more "heart." Do we have different expectations for Siperman?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    JaxUr said:

I don't think anyone claimed Nolan 's movies needed more "heart."

I did. ;)

I think Nolan's films* have too much brain and not enough heart.

I also think The Donner/Lester films had too much heart and not enough brain.

What can I say? I'm an idealist.**

*And I definitely consider Man of Steel to be a Nolan film, his spoor is all over it.

**Probably why I'm a Superman guy.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    JaxUr said:

batlaw said:

When you say it lacks "heart" what does this mean? Some other critics had mentioned this too. I don't think anyone claimed Nolan 's movies needed more "heart." Do we have different expectations for Siperman?
    i have much different expectations for superman than i do batman. is that what youre asking? when i refer to heart im talking the character and the story. superman and stories about superman (at least most) convey high levels of heart aka an emphasis on substance, emotion, morality etc. there wasnt enough of a soul to this interpretation IMO. the emphasis was purely on the action and spectacle. which is fine in cases like fast and furious or blade, but this is superman, you should at least have both done both.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

JaxUr said:

batlaw said:

i have much different expectations for superman than i do batman. is that what youre asking? when i refer to heart im talking the character and the story. superman and stories about superman (at least most) convey high levels of heart aka an emphasis on substance, emotion, morality etc. there wasnt enough of a soul to this interpretation IMO. the emphasis was purely on the action and spectacle. which is fine in cases like fast and furious or blade, but this is superman, you should at least have both done both.
    I agree, but only when Superman started fighting the Kryptonians. Up to that point there was a soul & a lot less action. I heavily favor all the stuff with Clark finding himself & place in the world.

M
  • Options
    From Bleeding Cool, sequel in 2014, Justice League in 2015!
  • Options

and coming next week, Bleeding Cool retracts said posts or blames someone else on misinformation. Call me when actual news sites report an actual trailer..
  • Options

and coming next week, Bleeding Cool retracts said posts or blames someone else on misinformation. Call me when actual news sites report an actual trailer..
    Yea. 2014 aint happening. No reason it should. Its crazy to even talk about.

• Options
    Because you guys love it so much, here's an update:

October 15th the movie is released for home media.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

M

I'll sound the evacuation alarm ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Can you give us a sample of your opinion in ADDITION to directing us to your blog? #preview #marketing #generatinginterest

M
  • Options
    David_D said:

Matt said:

M

I'll sound the evacuation alarm ;)
    That'll save me the $20 I was going to pay Pants to plow his way through so I'd be one of first (of thousands) to buy a copy on the release day!

M
  • Options
    No thoughts on Wonder Woman casting? Are we going to see a shot that will foreshadow a future Justice League movie?
  • Options
    greyman24 said:

No thoughts on Wonder Woman casting? Are we going to see a shot that will foreshadow a future Justice League movie?

Check out this thread instead:

http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/2167/warner-bros-announces-superman-batman-next/p4

M.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited December 2013
    I barrowed a friends copy and finally watched MoS.
    It is by far the best Zack Snyder movie I've seen. I liked this new take on Lois. Probably the first time I've taken the character seriously. Especially when you consider how she was portrayed in the 1st season of The Adventures of Superman where Lois is this screechy bitch that your openly hoping will die in the next mine collapse or automobile accident that she gets herself into. I really like the MoS Lois Lane.
    I didn't mind the "Death". Clark did just about everything he could to prevent Zod from more mayhem. It was clear Zod couldn't function without his "programed" reason to live and he was going to take as many people with him as possible.

Whoever coined the term "disaster porn" was right on the mark. It was Peter vs. the Chicken with all kinds of collateral damage. I think I went to the watch 4 times during that mess. I keep thinking that I should watch it again, but then I remember all of the disaster porn and just can't. It's going to be a while before I can watch MoS again.

On the Buy Borrow Pants scale, MoS gets a low borrow.
    If I gave it a 1 to 5 it would get 2.5 glances at my watch or 2.5 crucifixion references. Not sure which unit of measure I want to go with.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    fredzilla said:

"Barrow"

;)

Man, typing with one eye on the screen and the other looking around for management types is difficult.