Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The ReCollectr Need Your Help! (Or, I just have a question and any response would be great, thnx!)

Hi there-

I am a long time Marvel Comics fan. I started reading them in 1982 when I was ten. Over the years, I built an impressive collection (if I do say so myself) that I was very proud of. Until...

In 2003 we had a house fire. Thankfully, we didn't loose our home, but my collection was destroyed. And to make things even worse, my home insurance wasn't going to cover the cost to replace my collection. I was so heartbroken, and frustrated, that I gave up comics all together at that time. I went cold turkey and just walked away from the hobby.

Well, cut to today, a decade later. My son is now 10 years old, and I want to pass along to him my love of Marvel Comics. With the use of trade paperback collections, I've been able to give him "the basics" of the Marvel Universe, and he is loving it!

Seeing him enjoy Marvel has made me want to jump back into the hobby. But where to start? A lot has happened in the last ten years! Thankfully, after lurking and reading many great sites and forums (including this one!), I have been able to bring myself up to speed with the major storylines of the last ten years.

Okay, now onto my plea for help...

I have that nerdy quality of being a "complete-ist". Reading the major storylines has been great, but I want to read it all!

I have been searching for a resource that lists all Marvel Comics in the chronological order that they were released. For example, something the list what comics where published in January of 2003, then lists what was release in February of 2003, then March, and so on and so on.

I've been searching for something like this, but I am coming up empty handed. Do you know of a place online that would have such a list? Any help you can provide that points me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my podt and for any help you may be able to provide.

Excelsior!
~The ReCollectr

Comments

• PS - The Complete Marvel Reading Order (http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/) only lists comics up to 1990. I'm specifically looking for comics since the the beginning of the 21st century. Thanks!
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    The only thing I can think of that might fit that bill are Official Index to the Marvel Universe collections. I have the Ghost Rider one and it covers pretty much everything up to 2012. I used to make sure I hadn't missed something in my binding maps. They are not quite perfect but they work pretty well.

You might also try this site that gives a lot of binding maps (reading order) for a ton of series. It's not exclusively Marvel and there will be overlap, but it is pretty strong. It should cover most of Marvel for that time period.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Don't drive yourself crazy on this.

There have been periods where continuity has been extremely sloppy.

In fact, I think one of the purposes of the Age of Ultron story was to give a retrofix to explain why.
    I agree with WetRats. That's why I recommended the Comic binding site that CGS forums regular Corwin runs. It puts most Marvel into continuity, and makes it easy to cherry pick which stories/runs you find interesting.

helpful points:
    The Avengers have been the spine of Marvel since New Avengers started, work off of that. FF and Hulk have been off on their on, and Spiderman, well, that is a beast unto itself. Captain America, for the most part, was self contained for 5-6 yrs.; Daredevil has been self contained since 1998 (think of ShadowBland as an unrevealed dream sequence).
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

The Avengers have been the spine of Marvel since New Avengers started

Yep. That was the point at which the attempt to re-establish continuity began.

Not always for the best.
    edited June 2013
    Yep. That was the point at which the attempt to re-establish continuity began.

Not always for the best.
    Truth!

If I were trying recreate a Marvel collection for the 2000s I would get the Avengers Disassembled and House of M trades, then start collecting New Avengers, Cap, and move directly to Civil War, and really start hunting the reading orders at that point.

2005/Civil War really is the connecting point of Marvel during the 2000s. Hulk returns to Marvel continuity right around there (with prelude to Planet Hulk/Planet Hulk), Marvel Cosmic returns with the amazing Annihilation series(s). Daredevil is still pretty much on his on, but that is just an awesome decade for that title.

Geez 2005 was such an awesome year for Marvel.
  • Thanks for all the comments. It sounds like I may have been over-thinking all of this!

And just in case anyone is also on the same hunt I am on, someone else on another forum pointed me to this site...
    http://www.dcindexes.com/features/timemachine.php?site=marvel

It is great; you enter the year, month, and publisher of your choice. It then it spits out everything that was released at that time! Playing with it now, testing it out. So far, it looks pretty good!
    you can also try comicbookdb.com . There are ways to sort by years.