Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Jim Carrey "cannot support the level of violence" in K-A 2 Film

"Jim Carrey pulls support from his movie Kick-Ass 2, “cannot support that level of violence” in wake of Sandy Hook."

http://t.co/BUKCeBb82z

Comments

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Carrey is getting soooooooo much hate for this on the reddit machine. Not sure why. Yea, he acted in it and read the script. He's changed his mind. Not sure why everyone finds that so unbelievable.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I think it's short-sighted on his part. If his true beef is with the "violent" tone of the books and the film, he needs to look a bit deeper into them. Behind all the violence, foul language, and mayhem, there's an overall message that doing this stuff WILL get you hurt and is pretty much a sigh of psychosis on some level. Dave gets the crap kicked out of him, Mandy nearly loses everything...you get the idea. I never saw Kick-Ass as glorifying the violence, but rather showing the reality of what trying to do something like that would entail.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2013
    After Sandy Hook he took to Twitter running down gun owners. He even made a music video, Cold Dead Hand, in which he again attacks gun owners.

One of the many responses to these rants was to point out his roles in violent movies like KA2.
  • Options
    He just promoted beyond anything he could have done by just going out and doing interviews.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I lost all respect or interest for him after his public responses and actions regarding all this. Hes another hypocritical elitist jerk off. Hes been ripped six ways from sunday over all this and has to distance himself from KA2 at this point to save any credibility. Im shocked its taken this long for him to respond with something like this. WGAF what he does or thinks.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Sandy Hook was such an eye opener and despite the out cry...... no changes. Why beat him up for voicing his opinion? The same Constitutional right people batter us with to bear arms works for him with free speech. But he is an elitist jerk off because Hollywood types have a forum to espouse change and often they just spout off instead of mobilizing. Act more than just a tweet or two.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    shroud68 said:

Sandy Hook was such an eye opener and despite the out cry...... no changes. Why beat him up for voicing his opinion? The same Constitutional right people batter us with to bear arms works for him with free speech. But he is an elitist jerk off because Hollywood types have a forum to espouse change and often they just spout off instead of mobilizing. Act more than just a tweet or two.

As you just said, whats good for the goose...
    to keep it brief and simple, he started it. Me calling him a hypocritical elitist jerkoff is much more fair, kind and accurate than what hes called and implied against everyone with an opinion different than his own in this particular social issue. Why knee jerk to his defense invoking the 1st amendment and condemn me for mine?
    My issue isnt with his personal opinion, that hes voiced it or that he has a greater stage to do so, but how he chooses to do it. Completely tasteless, disgraceful , and just wrong in my opinion. Hes insulted and offended me and many others unjustly. As a result, hes made an ass out of himself and given me the right and motivation to respond in kind. IMO Carrey couldnt compete with a pimple on Charlton Hestons ass.

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    batlaw said:

shroud68 said:

As you just said, whats good for the goose...
    to keep it brief and simple, he started it. Me calling him a hypocritical elitist jerkoff is much more fair, kind and accurate than what hes called and implied against everyone with an opinion different than his own in this particular social issue. Why knee jerk to his defense invoking the 1st amendment and condemn me for mine?
    My issue isnt with his personal opinion, that hes voiced it or that he has a greater stage to do so, but how he chooses to do it. Completely tasteless, disgraceful , and just wrong in my opinion. Hes insulted and offended me and many others unjustly. As a result, hes made an ass out of himself and given me the right and motivation to respond in kind. IMO Carrey couldnt compete with a pimple on Charlton Hestons ass.

Who condemned you? WTF? Codemn? I made a comparison to his right to free speech being the same as the right to bear arms. There was not even a hint of condemnation directed at anyone much less directed at you personally. If anything I condemned him for not taking enough action if he feels that strongly and I agreed with your name calling. Calm down Batlaw, I'm not coming to take your guns.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2013
    It wasn't just a Tweet or two. The guy went out and made a music video, of all things, to continue his attack. People pointed out over and over the hypocrisy of actors who speak out against lawful gun ownership and then take roles in movies riddled with gun violence. That pretty much ended his tirade and it seems it had some deeper effect on him since he won't promote the movie. Although I think @BlackUmbrella is right and Carrey is actually doing a bang up job of promoting the movie.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    batlaw said:

I lost all respect or interest for him after his public responses and actions regarding all this. Hes another hypocritical elitist jerk off. Hes been ripped six ways from sunday over all this and has to distance himself from KA2 at this point to save any credibility. Im shocked its taken this long for him to respond with something like this. WGAF what he does or thinks.

I lost respect for him when we spent years telling people that vaccines cause autism. I don't pay any attention to whatever crazy horseshit comes out of his mouth.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    The late Roger Ebert called the first Kick-Ass movie "morally reprehensible." It's funny that the insightful critic saw the series for what it is right off the bat, while an actor like Carrey actually performed in the films and only later realized he was working on something that went against his beliefs. So, Carrey is an odd case, but the important question of whether Kick-Ass is garbage and exploitive seems to be ignored by fanboys who would rather talk about Carrey's hypocrisy and nothing else. And that's fairly typical of the audience for comic book movies.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    RickM said:

The late Roger Ebert called the first Kick-Ass movie "morally reprehensible." It's funny that the insightful critic saw the series for what it is right off the bat, while an actor like Carrey actually performed in the films and only later realized he was working on something that went against his beliefs. So, Carrey is an odd case, but the important question of whether Kick-Ass is garbage and exploitive seems to be ignored by fanboys who would rather talk about Carrey's hypocrisy and nothing else. And that's fairly typical of the audience for comic book movies.

While I agree with Ebert on a lot, to call Kick Ass morally reprehensible is a bit over the top...is it more morally reprehensible than any other action flick? I see it as yet another take on the "What would happen if someone really tried to be a super-hero?" genre, except the movie took out a lot of the satiric undercutting on the super-hero cliches that the comic book had.

It's a lot less reprehensible than, say, Transformers or Man Of Steel where millions of people die in a bloodless PG-13 manner.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited June 2013
    While I don't need Jim Carrey to tell me what not to see or what to see, I believe him that his thinking has changed on the issue of violence in movies. Carrey's work for Kick-Ass 2 was in the can before the events at Sandy Hook. I don't think it is hypocrisy for one's mind to change. In our very polarized, rigidly partisan climate, I think we sometimes forget that thinking *can* change. And, of course, the fallout of that will always be the 'gotcha' games of why your decisions in the past now make you a hypocrite. But that is the current, political culture.

That said, at the end of the day, he is choosing to take a business and PR hit for deciding to not participate in the promotion of a film he is in. I would imagine that will give some studios pause about being in business with him in the future. But, I'm sure he knows that. And it may end up making Kick-Ass 2 a talking point, that might help it (although the timing of his Tweet seemed tactical-- it seems he is getting out before it is time to do the promotional appearances, but not making a stink about it right before it opens, as it is not until August, so this is likely to be long washed out of the news cycle by then.)

At the end of the day, it is his right to speak out against a movie he participated in just as much as it would be his right to promote something he is in. We can choose to listen or not listen.

And I definitely agree that, for all the violence relished in Kick-Ass and likely to be had in Kick-Ass 2, at least those movies are rated R, so any parents paying attention should know what their kids would be in for.

There is more reveling in mass destruction and higher body counts in the "appropriate for all ages" trailers for PG-13 movies than there was in Kick-Ass. I would agree with @SolitaireRose that, and our ho-hum acceptance of that as Hollywood business as usual, is much more reprehensible than the violence in the context of a Kick-Ass.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    If Jim Carey feels so strongly about this issue then he should give back all the money he received for doing the role.

Actions speak louder than words.
  • Options
    Webhead said:

If Jim Carey feels so strongly about this issue then he should give back all the money he received for doing the role.

Or donate it to something he believes in. I could see that speaking louder than words.

If he were to just give it back to the owners of the film, he would actually just be supporting the film further by reducing their costs and increasing their profits.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    David_D said:

Webhead said:

Or donate it to something he believes in. I could see that speaking louder than words.

If he were to just give it back to the owners of the film, he would actually just be supporting the film further by reducing their costs and increasing their profits.
    Either way

Until then he is just talking
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Webhead said:

David_D said:

Webhead said:

Either way

Agreed.

Although, in the case of choosing to not go around talking to promote the movie (which, I would imagine they were expecting him to do) he is taking an action (albeit, a small one in the scheme of things) by *not* talking in their favor.
  • Options
    Webhead said:

David_D said:

Webhead said:

Either way

I think we're all familiar with Jim Carrey talking.

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Not much different than actors or directors (Alan Smithee) who make a movie and rethinks the process or sees the final product and distances themselves. I don't think he has ever done a real violent flick. The Mask?
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited June 2013
    Jim Carrey has pulled his support from Kick-Ass 2 Electric Boogaloo. Even as a high priced actor he can state his opinion as he sees fit. It is dicey subject similar to all the 9/11 is it too close to release variety of action flicks after the worst terrorist attack since Pearl Harbor. Carrey can bad mouth it all he likes & it will give the film more "free press" to see the film for some fans. Actors like him has bleep you loads of money and probably doesn't have to do another film unless he wants too. Me personally I have not read/watched Kick-Ass and no desire to do so but I read other books like Criminal, Stumptown, Saga of strong content to my liking. Just for the record the last two good films he did in my opinion were Liar, Liar & Bruce Almighty.

Matthew
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

I lost respect for him when we spent years telling people that vaccines cause autism. I don't pay any attention to whatever crazy horseshit comes out of his mouth.

I'm not sure I've taken anything Fire Marshall Bill has ever told me as anything but insane.
  • Options
    I don't hate Jim Carrey for this, I just don't really care. I don't believe all actors agree with the messages of films they appear in and it's Kick Ass, it's entire purpose is the exploration of this violence and the portrayal of extremes.
    Then again I grew up watching films like Brain Dead (Dead Alive for you 'mericans) and Evil Dead so I'm pretty desensitized so my word my not count for much becuse I'm fairly unphased by on screen violence, though I can and I believe most can draw the line and understand the difference between fictional and real acts of violence.
  • Options
    It's a shame he didn't take a stand on shitty movies, and decide he, in good conscience, couldn't support himself appearing in all the movies he's made since Ace Ventura.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    David_D said:

Webhead said:

I agree, he did his work. No reason he shouldn't get paid. If he wants to try to use it for something good, good for him.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I didn't even know Jim Carrey was in this movie.
  • Options
    avsavs Posts: 16

I didn't even know Jim Carrey was in this movie.

If his heroic stance opens the eyes of at least one individual to recognize that we as a society have not known for too long that Jim Carrey was in this movie, then it will have all been worth it.