Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Surprised You Liked It

Is there a comic that you read on a whim or off of a suggestion, didnt think you would like it, but it turned out that you loved it.

I read the first Parker book by Darwin Cook and now have to read the others he has done

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I've never been a horror fan of any kind, whether it be movies, prose or comics. When i got back into comics a few years ago I kept hearing about Locke & Key. I went in doubting my purchase but I absolutely loved it.

I wouldn't say that I've completely turned over to being a fan of horror comics, but I am at least more willing to check a title out. There is horror just for the sake of being horror, which is not for me. Then there is horror done well and titles like Revival, Locke & Key fit into that and have established the standard by which I will judge all others.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Essex County...I don't know if it was the art or the subject matter but it just didn't sound good to me at all. Once I started reading, however, I couldn't put the book down.

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Revival, love Norton but not so hot on Tim Seely, but its a damn fine creepy horror comic, that I am digging alot
  • Options
    SonofthorSonofthor Posts: 73
    Greg said:

I've never been a horror fan of any kind, whether it be movies, prose or comics. When i got back into comics a few years ago I kept hearing about Locke & Key. I went in doubting my purchase but I absolutely loved it.

I wouldn't say that I've completely turned over to being a fan of horror comics, but I am at least more willing to check a title out. There is horror just for the sake of being horror, which is not for me. Then there is horror done well and titles like Revival, Locke & Key fit into that and have established the standard by which I will judge all others.

I have heard a lot about Locke & Key and like you I dont like horror but I think I am going to give it a try as well
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Lovely Complex by Aya Nanahara. High-school romantic comedy about this tall gangly girl who falls in love with the shortest kid in class - but right from the start they hate each other so that whole "falling in love" thing takes time. Great artwork and an amazing job on the translation/adaptation by Viz. I got a review copy and ended up reading the rest of it on my own dime.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I had my doubts about Fables and Chew. Fables is now my favorite book and Chew is just a good fun book.

To reverse the question, the book that's thought I would love but ended up hating was Saga. Sorry. I just do not get the appeal of it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

To reverse the question, the book that's thought I would love but ended up hating was Saga. Sorry. I just do not get the appeal of it.

Yeah, I think that's the easier question to answer. I'm willing to bet most of us could name more than a few books we went into with high hopes only to walk away shaking our heads.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Walking Dead. Not into horror or B+W but I think even had I not already been sucked into the TV show I wouldve gotten hooked on the book.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    For me it is two titles.

First one is Team America,the 80s Marvel motocross superhero team. I remember them when they were in The Thing's solo title and thought they were pretty lame. Then I got the first 2 and last 2 issues of their series and read them. They are damn fun.

Jonah Hex

I hate most westerns. But got the Showcase presents Jonah Hex and love it.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Fables. I only picked it up because I was assigned to review it for a comic book website, and even though I came in late (issue 40-something), I realized it was something worth pursuing and went back and got the trades.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Superhero comics in general.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Mines Hawkeye.

Never been a big fan of the character. But this series has charmed me. The first volume was great. I'm now eagerly anticipating vol 2.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Mines Hawkeye.

Never been a big fan of the character. But this series has charmed me. The first volume was great. I'm now eagerly anticipating vol 2.

I have heard Pants talk about it on the show so much. I am going to order the first trade this month and give it a try. I have never been a big fan of the character either so it will be a new thing for me to try
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Secret I picked up the first two issues at my LCS just because of the creepy cover (x-ray of a hand missing the tip of the pinkie finger) and really enjoyed it. i was disappointed i could never find issue 3. apparently it has just been solicited. so i'm eager to see where this thing goes. Hickman is playing with color again in a way similar to Manhattan Projects.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'm surprised that my favorite book every month is a Hawkeye book, but I knew after seeing a preview page that I was gonna love it, so I'm not sure if that counts.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I'm surprised that my favorite book every month is a Hawkeye book, but I knew after seeing a preview page that I was gonna love it, so I'm not sure if that counts.

Totally Counts!!!!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Fables.
    Heard the hype for years, but I just brushed it off as a "Teenage Girl" book. Picked up the first couple of volumes on a whim from the public library and was totally hooked.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Surprised I like Fables after being completely underwhelmed by the first volume. Finally read more years later and was hooked until The War was over..
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited June 2013
    I'm going with small DC series from the late 2000s. I'm not a horror fan and I wasn't big on DC at the time. So when I ended up loving Steve Niles's Simon Dark I was really surprised. The first 6 issues were included in a large purchase I made from a fellow CGSer; I'm glad they were.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Table Titans...I've never really been a D&D guy, but I do like the characters in it.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

Surprised I like Fables after being completely underwhelmed by the first volume. Finally read more years later and was hooked until The War was over..

It seems everyone but me was underwhelmed by the first volume of Fables. I read it and loved it and went the next day and ordered the next 3 trades.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Grant Morrison's New X-Men. I went cold turkey on the X-Men right after the Inferno storyline because I had burnt out on Claremont's storytelling excesses -- magic, plotlines that went on forever without resolutions, the latest Dark Whomever -- and the then-recent expansion of the franchise. And Inferno was, to my mind, a complete waste of money. After that, the only time I even tried to read the series again was when the new X-Men book by Claremont and Lee debuted in the early 90's, but I found the series to be overwritten and imprinted with what would be later known as the 'Image' style of art, so I quickly dropped it again.

In the early 2000's I happened across several issues of the Grant Morrison run in a used comic bos and I browsed through them. I had trepidations about Morrison at that time: his work could be outstanding or it could be utterly incomprehensible. But I was utterly blown away by his approach and storylines and immediately went out in search of the trades as they appeared. In my opinion, his run stands out as one of the all-time great periods in the X-Men legacy.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I picked up the "Man with No Name" and "Good, Bad and the Ugly" comics when I saw them dirt cheap. I'm a huge spaghetti western fan, but a sequel to a movie over 40 years old?

They were well done, captured the feel of those movies, and Chuck Dixon's run was better than anything he's done in a long, long time. It's a shame they couldn't keep it going.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    I have wondered about those SR
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

WetRats said:

It seems everyone but me was underwhelmed by the first volume of Fables. I read it and loved it and went the next day and ordered the next 3 trades.

I agree. I think the first trade of Fables is quite good, establishes the tone for everything that follows, and ushers you right into an interesting story.
  • Options
    RickM said:

dubbat138 said:

WetRats said:

I agree. I think the first trade of Fables is quite good, establishes the tone for everything that follows, and ushers you right into an interesting story.
    To me it's like the first season of Babylon 5. It sets up a lot of stuff that pays off down the road, but it's a real slog to get though.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    WetRats said:

RickM said:

dubbat138 said:

WetRats said:

To me it's like the first season of Babylon 5. It sets up a lot of stuff that pays off down the road, but it's a real slog to get though.
    I have to agree with those who are surprised that others think the first story arc was terrible or 'a slog'... I first read the first six issues after retrieving them from a dollar box in a used book store, and I thought the tale and the premise was intriguing, enough so that I began seeking out the trades. I agree that it was the second arc that really kicked off the series into high gear, but there was nothing wrong with that first story. I certainly didn't find it a 'slog' to get through.
  • Options
    My memory of the first arc is that it had fairy tale characters and a horrific, violent crime scene. So it was compelling right off the bat. And because Willingham is a great writer, he used those elements to tell a nice story and build something grand thereafter.
  • Options
    All New Ultimate Spider-Man, had no reason to really care about it, didn't read much of Ultimate Spider-Man and gave no figs about his death but after trying the first few issues of the new series I was hooked.
    It's well written, interesting and full of great emotional hooks. Seeing Spider-Man twhip around a battle field filled with Giant Women didn't hurt.