Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2013 Anti-Con!

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
With its founding father Al "Torchsong" Sparrow being in attendance at some kind of big get-together in San Diego this year, I'm jumping in to help keep the Anti-Con alive and well. While the crowds descend upon SDCC July 18-21 there is the Anti-Con, the con for the rest of us. So, during that most hallowed of weekends here is how you, (yes, you!) can participate in the 2013 Anti-Con.

1. Buy some comics,...or at the least something comic related. New comics, old comics, trades, ogn's, clothing, action figures. bootleg DVD's, games are whatever else comes to mind. The catch is, you have to get them at a discount, whether it it on-line, off-line, garage sale, LCS or flea market. Find a means in which celebrate that vendor that has the best of deals.

2. Eat bad food. It either has to be bad for you or just plain awful, I'm talking food so awful that you want to take a brillo pad to your tongue.

3. Get a sketch, from a pro, an aspiring/up and coming artist or even an ametuer, ...pick out a character and get some artwork.

4. Watch something. Go out to the theater or stay in and watch a movie that fits in with what we're celebrating here.

5. Share it! Don't just tell us what you did, show us. Show off that sketch, the books you bought and whatever you ate that you probably shouldn't have.

Last year Torchsong was doing sketches, I'm not going that far...but everybody that particpates will have their name thrown in for some of the worst best comics (not really though) out of my collection and hopefully some other properly themed items.

Mark it on your calendars, the con for the rest us, the 2013 Anti-Con, happening July 18-21.

Comments

• Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    6. Don't shower for 4 days.

Also, for #2, make sure you overpay for whatever you eat.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The Anti-Con at my house has already sold out of badges for this year. A new record.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    edited June 2013
    The line for the Twilight panel has already started forming outside mine.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Well South GA AntiCon is coming along pretty well. The room is filling up with junk, but attendance is going to be pretty low again this year.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    BleedingCool always runs ads from Craig's List of people attending the con and looking for sex. My wife won't let me do this so maybe one of you brave souls should give it a go...y'know, for an authentic Con experience.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Mr_Cosmic said:

BleedingCool always runs ads from Craig's List of people attending the con and looking for sex. My wife won't let me do this so maybe one of you brave souls should give it a go...y'know, for an authentic Con experience.

I'm going to go with no. Though if there's a single 20 something on the forum willing to give it a go I'm all ears to hear how that works out.

Honestly, why would you need an ad? Just walk around and talk to people.

• Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    In true Anti-Con form, this weekend I'm actually having a yard sale to get rid of a bunch of comics, trades, and action figures.

In other news, in going through all this crap, I recognize I may be a hoarder... only, since I want to get rid of it, maybe I'm in recovery... I don't know. I just know I have a lot of crap.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Trev said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm going to go with no. Though if there's a single 20 something on the forum willing to give it a go I'm all ears to hear how that works out.

I don't think I could go to a con and say "Hi Princess Leia, want to come back to my place?" without getting punched in the groin. I doubt most people go to a con looking for a hook up, they go for comics and movies, but maybe I'm wrong.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nick said:

Trev said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I don't think I could go to a con and say "Hi Princess Leia, want to come back to my place?" without getting punched in the groin. I doubt most people go to a con looking for a hook up, they go for comics and movies, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I would say the primary reason people go is for comics and movies. The hook up is just a secondary reason. A bennie.

The thing about something the size of SDCC is that it is incredibly easy to strike up a conversation because the whole of the area is full of people who are there for the con. And there are so many after parties, bars, scenes, meetups, lines, etc. That I would think it nigh impossible to not have one meaningful conversation with someone you've never met before with only a little work.

The trick, is you don't LEAD with the request to come back to your place. You build to that. :)

• Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    edited June 2013
    I strike up many conversations at cons, I guess I always assumed it was just talking, not a bar. Maybe it is that easy to get with random people, I guess being an introverted person I think it's just harder than it apparently is. Maybe I should be going to San Diego more often now lol.
  • Options
    Nick said:

I strike up many conversations at cons, I guess I always assumed it was just talking, not a bar. Maybe it is that easy to get with random people, I guess being an introverted person I think it's just harder than it apparently is. Maybe I should be going to San Diego more often now lol.

I say all of that, but I'm married too and not looking to hook up -- so maybe it just looks easier. :)

I will say that historically for me, events like this have always been the easiest way to meet people because you have a built in conversation starter and you tend to be around friends anyway, which is very helpful.

If you're single and going to be in San Diego, open yourself to the possibility.

• Options
    Trev said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

You're assuming these people have the ability to go up to a woman and have a conversation with them and be charming enough to get anywhere. If they're trolling Craigslist for sex, that already says something.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    1. Picked up some issues of ROM that I still needed to finish my run from the LCS bargain bin.

2. The Mucho Burito - an almost two pound monstrosity filled with chicken, steak, rice, beans, cheese, guacamole & tomatoes, drenched in ranchero sauce and cheese.

3. Failed to get a sketch.

4. Watched the first season of the 60's Spider-Man, and the pilots of Greatest American hero and Knight Rider with my son.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Due to bad weather we had a rough Anti-Con. The Energy was low and attendance was down. I did make a few quality purchases from the discount bins; I got a fun Nick Fury trade and found a sports vendor that had a Dominique Wilkins jersey (maybe bootleg).

The food was a little better this year; we had a comics with steak and beer panel that produced a pretty good steak.

There was also a Micheal Bay retrospective where we viewed Bad Boys & Bad Boys 2. Attendance did double for those panels.
  • Options
    Had dinner with Al and his wife Sharknado while in San Diego. Great to meet you both!

Here's to more boardies at the con next year!