Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This is Why We Love Comics

This week is Geek Week on YouTube (you know, because geeks are so underrepresented on the interwebs and you can never find geek related media anywhere). This was posted the other day and I thought it would make for an interesting thread.

http://youtu.be/PPkP12w9b3E

I love comics because, to me, they can be a metaphor for the spiritual state of man, that life's frailty requires the supernatural for sustainability.

But that's me. What about you? Why do you love comics?

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I love escapism in all forms.
  • Options
    I am sure, initially, the whole Power Fantasy aspect appealed to me as a chubby, nonathletic, lonely kid. And then, I grew to understand that these were things made by real people, I was fascinated with who wrote and drew what... and I followed my favorite artists and writers. Then, I wanted to draw comics, and understood the freedom of creativity afforded to the creators... like creating a movie with an unlimited budget. I became keenly aware of how much information could be conveyed through such a simple combination of words and pictures.

Nowadays, I still REALLY love comics, but I think more for the nostalgia aspect. Oh, I still love some of the newer stuff, but I think just the act of reading a comic or graphic novel reminds me of simpler times, with fewer burdens and responsibilities.
  • Options
    I love seeing some great writing and art work together in order to blend a movie like picture in my head.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Wow. Four people love comics, eh? I suppose that's why there are so many threads here that are like, "Did you see dastardly thing DC is doing now!?!" and "I may have grown up a Marvel zombie, but I ain't payin' that much for a book." Perhaps we should start a new thread that's negative in tone? How about, "Why comics stink again this week"? ;)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I love comics because of all the women, money, and fame they bring me.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I love them for the nostalgia they induce in me. As I age I find no comfort in the new. I continue to go back to the old. I appreciate and enjoy the newer version of stuff ( The Marvel movies and Doctor Who) but the rush for me is capturing even momentarily the feeling I had as a 12 year old spending my money in 7-11. I realize it is a hollow pursuit at times, chasing the fumes of adolescence but that's my fix.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Wow. Four people love comics, eh? I suppose that's why there are so many threads here that are like, "Did you see dastardly thing DC is doing now!?!" and "I may have grown up a Marvel zombie, but I ain't payin' that much for a book." Perhaps we should start a new thread that's negative in tone? How about, "Why comics stink again this week"? ;)

Snark is a hell of a way to get people to reply to your posts. I would have skipped this post too if I read your BS reply to your own thread. A reason I'm chasing nostalgia the way I do is because today's mentality is either snark or negativity in commentary. Leave people to their own pace.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Snark is a hell of a way to get people to reply to your posts. I would have skipped this post too if I read your BS reply to your own thread. A reason I'm chasing nostalgia the way I do is because today's mentality is either snark or negativity in commentary. Leave people to their own pace.

Yikes! I didn't mean for anyone's panties to get all bunchy! I thought that the winking smiley face emoticon ( ;) ) would illustrate the tongue-planted-in-cheek tone of my response. Snarky, maybe, but lighten up! My post was intended to be a celebration of what makes comics great and why we love them and still do. Unfortunately, many of the topics in these here forums seem to be a bitch-fest about DC and Marvel screwing over (a) writers, (b) creators, (c) fans, (d) non-fans, (e) all of the above, or (f) none of the above as of late. Instead of everyone discussing something positive for a change, we still reply on the same old threads about how we're done with the "big two," they've done it to me for the last time! Besides, "nostalgia"? Really? That's so 1985 (or earlier). ;;) *

*please note that the shy-guy blinking emoticon is also being used in an attempt to disarm any potential anger or frustration you may have with the obvious joke just prior to said emoticon. ;) **

**oh, you get the idea...
  • Options
    Earlier in my case but your attempt to defuse the tone of your second post does not lessen the fact that criticizing via emoticon the forum's lack of response seems poor forum etiquette( if such a thing exists). I will study up on my emoticon handbook for the meaning of said smiley faces 4 sentences after the snarky comment before I comment again as an attempt to lighten up. It's entirely possible as I find certain forum members more and more intolerant and intolerable. Maybe I'm one of them( and fredzilla you have not been one of them) but I will "lighten up".
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2013
    If what you want is positivity (and that is a good goal) probably better to encourage it by adding more positive content, not by turning the thread into a criticism of the rest of the discussions going on.

Adding another thing you love about comics keeps it on topic.

Adding criticism, even lighthearted criticism, just turns it into a meta discussion. Which I am guessing was not your intention.
  • Options
    Marvel particularly is doing some positive things that we can all celebrate. How many quirky books are they publishing right now that they disguise as Avengers or X-Men titles. They seem to be on the best track that they have been on for a good long while.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I love that right now I am spoiled for choice, and have more and better means of getting recommendations AND, thanks to digital and things like Marvel Unlimited, as well as robust collected edition programs in print from nearly all publishers, there are all sorts of ways to delay and read later.

There was a time in the late 90s when I would go into a shop with money in my hand, and not find anything I wanted to read. In retrospect, there were some gems I was missing then. But these days there are more books, creator-owned and corporate, than I have time or money for. I never leave a shop without finding something to try or catch up on. Which is great. I feel like all the books I pick are ones I am excited to get. And some titles I am not doing now will be stacked up and waiting for me later.

I think it is a great time to be a comics fan.
  • Options
    At first they were just something an different to read.
    Then they became my salvation, I had literally just left an abusive relationship when I discovered Oracle and the Birds of Prey. I was left with nothing from the relationship, I had lost all my friends, broken ties with a lot of my family and had to leave a lot of belongings with him just to make a quick break. I felt emotionally crippled and then there is Barbara Gordon who is physically paralysed and still manages to run a superhero team and kick ass. It gave me hope, the strength of superheroes became my goal to build myself up again.
    Then when I met fellow geeks like the CGS UKers and Geoff Johns I began to feel like a human again, and comics helped do all that.
  • Options
    Okay, after reading my response a day later, I was in fact overtly snarky, and continued that to the point of buffoonery on my part, in my response to @shroud68. I'm sorry guys (and gals). My hope was that we could celebrate comics in a positive way. Anyway, onward and upward... :D
  • Options

Then they became my salvation, I had literally just left an abusive relationship when I discovered Oracle and the Birds of Prey. I was left with nothing from the relationship, I had lost all my friends, broken ties with a lot of my family and had to leave a lot of belongings with him just to make a quick break. I felt emotionally crippled and then there is Barbara Gordon who is physically paralysed and still manages to run a superhero team and kick ass. It gave me hope, the strength of superheroes became my goal to build myself up again.
    Then when I met fellow geeks like the CGS UKers and Geoff Johns I began to feel like a human again, and comics helped do all that.

This makes me love comics even more! So glad you're safe now!
  • Options

Amy's here! Everybody gets a wish. ;)
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Marvel particularly is doing some positive things that we can all celebrate. How many quirky books are they publishing right now that they disguise as Avengers or X-Men titles. They seem to be on the best track that they have been on for a good long while.

Agreed! I have been heading to my LCS on a weekly basis for more than 35 years (yikes!) and I have never been more excited about what will be waiting for me than now. I love Love LOVE Comics! And Wednesday is my favourite day of the week.

I especially love that I can share that excitement with my two daughters, who share in my passion for comics, and I can experience some of my favourite issues again through their eyes.
  • Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    edited August 2013
    David_D said:

fredzilla said:

Cheers guys, I vanished because just after my last post (last year) I lost my great-grandad (who was my like my father), then a student at school, then my auntie, then my grandmother on my dads side and then my husbands uncle, who we were both close to, all to cancer. I also had a cancer scare myself and had to have some hospital time. Things were also very bad at work and needless to say I didn't really want to talk to everyone. It was him who suggested I start posting again.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Amy! It's so good to see your post! You've made my heart happy, this morning.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

David_D said:

fredzilla said:

Cheers guys, I vanished because just after my last post (last year) I lost my great-grandad (who was my like my father), then a student at school, then my auntie, then my grandmother on my dads side and then my husbands uncle, who we were both close to, all to cancer. I also had a cancer scare myself and had to have some hospital time. Things were also very bad at work and needless to say I didn't really want to talk to everyone. It was him who suggested I start posting again.

I'm assuming that by "him" you mean your husband? If so, smart man! You've many friends on these forums that will drop what they're doing to lend an ear, give advise, or say a prayer.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I'm assuming that by "him" you mean your husband? If so, smart man! You've many friends on these forums that will drop what they're doing to lend an ear, give advise, or say a prayer.

Yes him is the husband. Cheers Rebis. It's nice to know you are still here for me. It's been a tough one.

• Options
    Anyway back on topic....COMICS ARE ACE!!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Amy I think I can safely say we are all glad to see you back in CGSland.

Comics do in fact rule.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Torchsong said:

Why comics rule:
    22-30 years old - "Well, I can't afford the variant foil-wrapped poly-bagged version of the X-Men...but that frees up plenty of funds for Maxx, Strangers in Paradise, Azrael (hey, it was good!), and other fun books."

That...is why comics rule...

You are old. But that's ok we both love the Maxx (even if I was 13-15 when it was hot). I got into the Maxx in my early 20s.

I still remember buying bootleg dvds of the Maxx and the Tick off ebay shortly after I went up to UGA. It was a great day.
  • Options
    Just to make you feel old, what's a Micronaut? :P
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Amy - The Micronauts where a Japanese toy (I think called Minimen or Micromen) that were re-dubbed The Micronauts when they were brought to America.

What was cool about them was they were "interchangeable" - you could pull parts off of them and make different vehicles or characters depending on how creative you could get.

Around the same time, Marvel comics got the license to create a comic book series about them, and Bill Mantlo and Michael Golden got the job to do it. Rather than just make a book about toys, they created a whole universe with new characters unique to the comic, and it developed into a life all its own, long after the toy line died out. I can't recommend this series enough if you like old school Sci-Fi/Fantasy tales with fun characters who've stood the test of time (they recently showed up in the Hulk Gamma Corps series).

How much of an impact did they have on me? I met Michael Golden at SDCC this year and spent a small mint to get a commission of one of the main characters - Marionette:

• Options
    Nice, all makes sense now :)
  • Options
    Micronauts also had the good fortune to attract a cadre of top artist talent during its time at Marvel, beginning with Michael Golden and moving on through Butch Guice, Gil Kane and Kelley Jones. Pretty impressive line-up for what was essentially a toy tie-in.

• Options
    I really like how Fraction and Waid are doing stories where these people are ready to give up and go through a Frank Miller like depression. Then all of the sudden they come up from the darkness and inspire people.