Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

First Impressions, Second Chances

Just read someone's comment about having tried to read a book and not being able to get into it, giving it a second chance down the road and liking it. It reminded me of my experience with "Annihilation". I read two issues and put it down never to be read again. It was way too out there, with characters that I always thought were too powerful, therefore boring, and it didn't seem to have an impact on the more mainstream Marvel titles I was reading at the time.

Then few years later a buddy was raving about it and I had nothing new to read so I gave it a second shot. I was blown away by how much I loved it. It was a sweeping space-opera, a war story, a book that felt like it had consuequences for the characters because it was less important than the major Marvel book. Soon I had everything from that era of Marvel Cosmic.

Anyone else have a similar experience? What was it that turned you off initially? Why'd you come back? What do you think changed your perception of the book?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I gave up comics at the ripe old age of 12. When I got back into them at the age of 21 I was handed the TPB of Crisis on Infinite Earths. As a kid I had been a Marvel Zimbie with some issues of Batman under my belt..but that was it. Needles to say I was overwhelmed and disinterested with the story. As I read more and more DC I began to see what that story was all about. I picked up the trade again and loved it. Now I own the Absolute Edition and re-read it about once a year.
  • Options
    I have no idea why, but every book by Alan Moore seems to fly right over my head. I am either convinced his books are not for me, or I just don't get it. I have read Watchmen several times, seen the movie, listened to all of the CGS episodes, and it still just perplexes. I sat through his entire Swamp Thing run not really understanding what he was doing. The only point where I understood what he was doing, lied in his Superman one shots.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2013

I have no idea why, but every book by Alan Moore seems to fly right over my head. I am either convinced his books are not for me, or I just don't get it. I have read Watchmen several times, seen the movie, listened to all of the CGS episodes, and it still just perplexes. I sat through his entire Swamp Thing run not really understanding what he was doing. The only point where I understood what he was doing, lied in his Superman one shots.

I'm not a huge fan of Watchmen either but I do love his Swamp Thing. If you like his Superman work you might want to pick up the trade DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. On top of the Superman stories you also get his work on Green Arrow, Green Lantern Corps, and Batman to name a few.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I am about to give Saga a second chance. I tried reading the first trade and did not finish it.
  • Options

I am about to give Saga a second chance. I tried reading the first trade and did not finish it.

I am not sure that you will like it. The series has been more of that same kind of style throughout. Unless you think there is something else there, not everything is for anybody. For that reason I will not read Preacher.
  • Options

I am not sure that you will like it. The series has been more of that same kind of style throughout. Unless you think there is something else there, not everything is for anybody. For that reason I will not read Preacher.
    Aw, I loved Preacher.

But actually Saga is a pretty good example of what I was talking about before. After I read the first 2 issues I was dissappointed. It had been sold to me as a Star Wars like space opera with curse words (I'm paraphrasing BKV's quote here), and I didn't get that feeling at all. The story felt small. But I reread the issues when I picked up the trade (I'm a huge BKV fan so I decided to give it another chance, plus Fiona Staples art was gorgeous enough to warrant it I thought), and I finished the first arc and it became clear that all the space stuff, the science fiction elements were set dressing to tell a wonderful story about the different kinds of parent-child relationships. Once my perception changed, all the different themes came together and what was flat the first time around was a beautiful work of art the second.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I'm having a hard time thinking of anything in comics that I hated, then came to love. Usually when I hated something, I continue to do so. I suppose if I ever enjoy a Warren Ellis story I can come back to this thread and answer, "Warren Ellis."
  • Options

Aw, I loved Preacher.

But actually Saga is a pretty good example of what I was talking about before. After I read the first 2 issues I was dissappointed. It had been sold to me as a Star Wars like space opera with curse words (I'm paraphrasing BKV's quote here), and I didn't get that feeling at all. The story felt small. But I reread the issues when I picked up the trade (I'm a huge BKV fan so I decided to give it another chance, plus Fiona Staples art was gorgeous enough to warrant it I thought), and I finished the first arc and it became clear that all the space stuff, the science fiction elements were set dressing to tell a wonderful story about the different kinds of parent-child relationships. Once my perception changed, all the different themes came together and what was flat the first time around was a beautiful work of art the second.
    I love Saga first of all. I also do not have any idea where you are coming from on the aspect of why you like it. I guess that the series is just something different to me, but it always felt more intimate. Either way I am glad that you like the title, doesn't Preacher have the same tone of The Boys Or Punisher? If so that is the reason why I am not interested. Let me know.
  • Options

Aw, I loved Preacher.

I love Saga first of all. I also do not have any idea where you are coming from on the aspect of why you like it. I guess that the series is just something different to me, but it always felt more intimate. Either way I am glad that you like the title, doesn't Preacher have the same tone of The Boys Or Punisher? If so that is the reason why I am not interested. Let me know.
    Actually I did not like The Boys or Punisher at all. I guess the tone has similarities with Ennis's other works but, I dunno, it just worked for me.

As for Saga's parental relationship aspect all the major players have some kind of parental situation that is driving the story.

Obviously Alana and Marko are new parents.
    Marko's parents, and therefore Alana's parental in-laws.
    The Will is an adoptive parental figure to Slave girl.
    Prince Robot is an expectant father, who has a difficult relationship with his own father.
    The author from issue 12 wrote his book because of the son he lost to suicide.

• Options
    Very well said, actually 52 was not a book that worked with me the first time.Somebody was trying to sell it to me as a big DC continuity jumping on point, and it really did not work for me in that sense. After diving deeper into DC a re-read made the whole thing much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2013
    Back in the 90s, I tried Hellboy, from his earliest appearances. And I remember thinking it was cool, but for some (foolish) reason I didn't stick with it. And now, much later, I have been buying Hellboy in trades and, I mean, come on! Does it really get better than when Mignola was drawing and writing Hellboy?? I have actually been pacing out buying and reading the early trades to make it last. I really didn't appreciate it as much then as I do now.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Gon. Didn't care for the delinquent little dinosaur in the 90s, but turned around on that about a decade later.

Otherwise I tend to find it's individual artists I've turned around on as I've gotten older. Sal Buscema I didn't care for as a kid, but love now. Likewise, I remember being bummed out whenever Rick Leonardi filled in for Silvestri on X-Men, but nowadays I recognise him as being a pretty great artist in his own right.
  • Options
    Brack said:

Gon. Didn't care for the delinquent little dinosaur in the 90s, but turned around on that about a decade later.

Otherwise I tend to find it's individual artists I've turned around on as I've gotten older. Sal Buscema I didn't care for as a kid, but love now. Likewise, I remember being bummed out whenever Rick Leonardi filled in for Silvestri on X-Men, but nowadays I recognise him as being a pretty great artist in his own right.

Oh man, Rick Leonardi! As you can see from my icon, I'm a huge Spider-man 2099 fan. I just reread the first 12 issues a little while ago, and with the exception of a tendency to draw large 2-dimensional feet he killed it on every issue. It amazes me he didn't become bigger.
  • Options
    With me, it's usually artists that I'll make quick judgments on and then later discovered how embarrassingly wrong I was -- though some of their early work, I think, somewhat justified my dislike at the time. I originally hated Sal Buscema's work as a thin copy of his brother John's work, but over the years I found that although he wasn't the master illustrator his brother was, he was still a strong storyteller and he hit the mark with an unerring eye.

I hated Barry Windsor-Smith's (at that time, simply Barry Smith) first comic works, dismissing him as a poor man's Kirby wannabe; I ate those words after he started doing some creative layouts for Daredevil and the Avengers -- and then he blew me away with his work on Conan.

Did I learn anything from this? Apparently not. Because after picking up the second issue of the then-new Cerebus The Aardvark, I dismissed Dave Sim as a poor man's Windsor-Smith wannabe.

And the cycle goes on...
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited August 2013

Either way I am glad that you like the title, doesn't Preacher have the same tone of The Boys Or Punisher? If so that is the reason why I am not interested. Let me know.

If you would like to try a Ennis again I would recommend Hitman. It was created at the same time as Preacher, but placed in the DCU which forced contraints on what Ennis could do. I've read a good deal of his works, and Hitman is the best because he couldn't go to Ennis extremes. Hitman was forced to focus more on the story than the shock. Constraints makes that guy a better writer. If you are interested in giving him another shot try it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Either way I am glad that you like the title, doesn't Preacher have the same tone of The Boys Or Punisher? If so that is the reason why I am not interested. Let me know.

If you would like to try a Ennis again I would recommend Hitman. It was created at the same time as Preacher, but placed in the DCU which forced contraints on what Ennis could do. I've read a good deal of his works, and Hitman is the best because he couldn't go to Ennis extremes. Hitman was forced to focus more on the story than the shock. Constraints makes that guy a better writer. If you are interested in giving him another shot try it.
    I'll second that recommendation. I was never a Punisher fan and I couldn't bear to even touch Preacher, but Hitman was a surprisingly good and funny book, just about the only success of the Bloodline heroes. I got half the series before I had to cut back on expenses. I believe the first few issues, plus origin, were collected in trade.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't/can't read Ennis anymore, but I could pick up and read Hitman this afternoon. Then spend the next month rereading it start to finish. It had a top 5 end to any series. Thinking about it is giving me emotions.

I'm in book mode right now so I can't put that temptation in front of me, but it might be the next comic series I read.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    The only Ennis I’ve really enjoyed was his Hellblazer “Dangerous Habits” storyline—the first thing he did in the US.
  • Options
    I can't believe that slipped my mind. Dangerous Habits is great.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    It would be interesting also to see a thread similar to this, but with the opposite idea--titles that you liked originally, but upon looking at them again later, they didn't work quite as well.

For me, it was Sandman. The second time around, probably 15 years later, I read it again, and couldn't get into it at all.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

I'll second that recommendation. I was never a Punisher fan and I couldn't bear to even touch Preacher, but Hitman was a surprisingly good and funny book, just about the only success of the Bloodline heroes. I got half the series before I had to cut back on expenses. I believe the first few issues, plus origin, were collected in trade.
    Thanks for

The only Ennis I’ve really enjoyed was his Hellblazer “Dangerous Habits” storyline—the first thing he did in the US.

the recommendation you guys. The war genre and the idea of the anti-hero does not suit most of my interests so I have really not read anything by Ennis because I know I would hate most of it. I plan on going back and checking out Welcome Back Frank one day.
  • Options
    kfreeman said:

It would be interesting also to see a thread similar to this, but with the opposite idea--titles that you liked originally, but upon looking at them again later, they didn't work quite as well.

For me, it was Sandman. The second time around, probably 15 years later, I read it again, and couldn't get into it at all.

Every Spider-man story of the 1990's. But I was a kid then, so once my brain clicked on I knew better. (Doesn't mean I don't have an irrational love for Ben Reilly though).