Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    I'm sort of in love with Leonard's Miami. It makes me want to become a successful writer just to move there so that I can set all my stories in that world (it would also justify the thousands of hours of COPS I watched as a child).

and his criminals were the best.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited August 2013
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm sort of in love with Leonard's Miami. It makes me want to become a successful writer just to move there so that I can set all my stories in that world (it would also justify the thousands of hours of COPS I watched as a child).

and his criminals were the best.

I assume you also read Carl Hiaasen?
    edited August 2013
    WetRats said:

I assume you also read Carl Hiassen?

I do not. Is he awesome?

I guess I should add I only want to live in 2 places if I were rich: coastal florida (the gulf side bc it has prettier beaches) or southwest georgia (where I am currently located). I would write 2 types of crime novels beach crime and georgia crime. I'm thinking I could even create a whole kids series based around crimes that occur on the beach (like flip-flop theft).
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

I assume you also read Carl Hiassen?

I do not. Is he awesome?

Oh.

Are you in for a treat.

Don't worry about reading them in any particular order, just grab the first one you see.
    Trapline and Native Tongue are now on my nook and next to read. Technology is awesome. Now back to remembering Mr. Leonard.
    edited August 2013
    mwhitt80 said:

Trapline and Native Tongue are now on my nook and next to read. Technology is awesome. Now back to remembering Mr. Leonard.

Once you run out of Hiaasen, go way back in Florida Noir history, and try some of John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee stories.
    John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee
    You are the second person to recommend that to me in the last few weeks.
    mwhitt80 said:

I haven't read Trap Line or his other two early collaborations.

Native Tongue, OTOH, is frikkin' brilliant!
    Read Elmore Leonard's Valdez Is Coming in one sitting tonight.

Flawless.

Damn, the man could write.
    WetRats said:

I haven't read Trap Line or his other two early collaborations.

Native Tongue, OTOH, is frikkin' brilliant!

I just finished Native Tongue. It was great. The dude got florida and it's people down. I've spent enough time south of the border (especially below Tampa) to feel like I've met some of the locals.

I'm excited about reading some of Hiassen's other books. Next up some Elmore Leonard, it's between one of his westerns or the classic Get Shorty.
  • Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords. Another 250 pages to go. Love reading it but is does just take a while to get through
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Dividing my time between one of Housekeeping vs. the Dirt by Nick Hornby, one of the collections of his Believer columns about the books he has read in a given month, and a Doctor Who novel, The Dalek Generation by Nicholas Briggs. The Hornby book is interesting, even if I've never read and likely never will read most of what he's talking about (though I've noted a few titles I want to look into more), but the Doctor Who book is just kinda meh and takes forever to get going (surprising considering Briggs's involvement with Big Finish... most of their Who output is pretty fast-paced).
  • kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    kgforce said:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Reread it a while back.

Brilliant.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling).
  • Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords completed!
  • Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords completed!

The storm has passed...

• random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    knocked out NOS4A2 by Joe Hill this Month and dug it a lot. possibly my favorite of his novels to date. Let Me Go the new Sheridan/Lowell novel by Chelsea Cain. They are a guilty pleasure, I love em. Aaaaand The Turner Journals by Robert Randisi. Randisi is a soilid working writer usally in the Western & Crime genres. i appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into his work.
    just got the traditional birthday Barnes & Noble gift card. Think that is going towards Doctor Sleep the new Stephen King book. Sequel to The Shining that poses the question, "What does Danny Torrence grow up to be like?".
  • Life, the Universe and Everything. Man I Love Douglas Adams

Life, the Universe and Everything. Man I Love Douglas Adams

As you should.

• John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Re-reading Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle This time of year I tend to read more satire. To wash away all the shite that happened the months prior.
    Re-reading Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle This time of year I tend to read more satire. To wash away all the shite that happened the months prior.

The band I managed in college was called Ice 9.

There was apparently another, more successful Ice 9 as well.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747

“Tiger got to hunt;
    Bird got to fly;” etc.

I need to re-read Cat's Cradle. It's been far too long since I used the word "karass".
    I wonder whatever happened to the girl we called "Jill the Bokononist"?
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    random73 said:

just got the traditional birthday Barnes & Noble gift card. Think that is going towards Doctor Sleep the new Stephen King book. Sequel to The Shining that poses the question, "What does Danny Torrence grow up to be like?".

About a quarter of the way through that at the moment. So far so good!

Also finished King's Joyland A couple weeks ago. Now that was a real delight. A really great coming of age story with the traditional 'King' slant. Great stuff.

Before that was George RR Martins A Feast For Crows. Continues to be a wonderful series. Only downer is I've only got one more to go until I'm waiting for the new one like everyone else.

And also managed to fit in Dan Browns Inferno. Standard fare from Brown. Easy read. Made me want to go to Florence though.

Been a busy couple of months on the reading side of things for me.
    luke52 said:

random73 said:

About a quarter of the way through that at the moment. So far so good!

Also finished King's Joyland A couple weeks ago. Now that was a real delight. A really great coming of age story with the traditional 'King' slant. Great stuff.

Before that was George RR Martins A Feast For Crows. Continues to be a wonderful series. Only downer is I've only got one more to go until I'm waiting for the new one like everyone else.

And also managed to fit in Dan Browns Inferno. Standard fare from Brown. Easy read. Made me want to go to Florence though.

Been a busy couple of months on the reading side of things for me.
    Glad to hear Joyland was good. I was a little hesitant to pick that one up because it was one of the Hard Case Crime series like Colorado Kid. I read Kid but it wasn't one of my favorites. I started 'Salem's Lot as a fill in book until I could pick up Doctor Sleep and now I'm far enought in that i have to finish it. Hope to start Sleep next week sometime.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    It's been on my shelf for years so that's what I'm going to read, It.
    Just picked up Sharyn McCrumb's King's Mountain.