Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Help Me Get Fired Up Again

It is simple. I feel a little like I am getting burnt out by comics. I am not reading that much and I really don't want to lose comics in my life. Any ideas on books that will fire me up or advice on the situation?

Comments

• Options
    i'm in a pretty similar situation. i actually am considering not buying anything and concentrate on other things for the moment. that said, i'm not giving up (on) comics, just stepping back a bit to focus on, say, drawing, or photography. i'll probably be lurking in the background, keeping up with what's happening in comics, in general, until some new title or character or whatever pulls me back in.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Take a break for a while(up to you how long) and then come back. Try reading something new when you do return.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    If you follow lots of message boards or read news sites or listen to podcasts, stop. They go a long way to chipping away enjoyment if they are constantly negative. Only give your time to those that inspire you to read, not drag you down.
  • Options
    Read something you've heard is great from the past and have never read. I just read "Fagin the Jew" this week, and I'm SO excited about what comics can do again!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    1) Don't rely on the big two. There are many other companies and individuals making quality books.

2) You can read comics for free on the web. When you find one you really enjoy - support it. Buy it in book form. Buy a t-shirt. Go to conventions and commission the artist or just tell them you love what they do.

3) Get out of your comfort zone. Born and raised on American comics? Go get some manga or bede and who knows - you might find you like it! Only read superhero books? Pick up a mystery or horror book.

4) As mentioned, the beautiful thing about a book is that they really don't disappear - they just get shelved somewhere else. I was never a huge Legion of Super-Heroes reader until this past year or so - I have about four decades or more of material just waiting for me to devour it.

5) The library is your friend when it comes to trying stuff out.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,621
    I agree with all of the Big2 out of the box reading. The things I read now have really changed over the last few years.

Manga. I've never been a Manga reader, but there have been a few gems that I have really made me happy I'm a comics fan. Manga people can tell you more but these are what I have enjoyed.
    Dragonball - I like the VizBig editions as the format. The story focuses on young Goku and his goofy zany adventures of tracking the Dragonballs. It's not a serious read but it is fun.
    Pluto - this is a more serious reimagining of Astroboy, It's a mystery sorrounding the deaths of the 7 Great Robots (sounds corny but is really good). Pluto is a pretty great book, but they are getting a little more difficult to find so someone on the boards can probably point you to an equally interesting series in this vein.
    Akira - I'm 3 books in and this pretty much lives up to the hype. If you enjoyed the movie you would probably like this. If you've never had the chance to watch Akira and were interested really pick this up; the geeks did a book of the month over it a few years ago.

I've also started trying Bede, these are french comics that are like an oversized squarebound paperback (around 80 pages).
    XIII - This is the basis for the Bourne books and is pretty awesome. You can order them for a few bucks off amazon
    Lucky Luke - It's about the adventures of the levelheaded sharpshooting cowboy in the american west (it reminds me of a great Tex Avery cartoon). It doesn't matter which volume you read, but they are little stories. also pretty easy to get on amazon.
  • Options
    Now for some American titles that I have enjoyed

I've loved the IDW Ghostbusters series; it captures the fun of the original movies very well. It also has fun cameos of famous dead people all over the place. It's pretty cool, and you can get the trades cheap.

Topshelf has put out some great books that I have finally gotten around to reading.
    The King - A great story about hope and Elvis. I was not sure if I would like it when I picked it up, but it was amazing. It's always on sale over at topshelf.
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Topshelf has been producing the new League books and they are excellent. I would also reccomend the old League books which you can get affordably in an omnibus from dcbservice.

Archaia always has something fun.
    Old City Bules - is a gem I think most of us skipped over. It's part bladerunner, part Pluto, part Akira, part Ghost in the Shell and it's a book that is all ages. Giannis Milonogiannis sci-fi influences are at the forefront, but it's really well done and pretty cool.
    Tale of Sand - Jim Henson wrote an insane spy movie that was turned into an acid trip of awesome comic.

Here's my last suggestion that has remided me comics are awesome
    Buffalo Speedway - A story about Pizza delivery boys turning into men on June 17, 1994 in Houston Tx. It was by Yehudi Mercado (also did a Pantalones Tx). You have to order it through his site. My description doesn't do it justice, check out his site.
  • Options
    Peter said:

If you follow lots of message boards or read news sites or listen to podcasts, stop. They go a long way to chipping away enjoyment if they are constantly negative. Only give ycour time to those that inspire you to read, not drag you down.

Not trying to split hairs but even a positive podcast can lead you to a negative place. The CGS guys, with the exception of Deemer(iirc), all love Watchmen. I picked it up expecting gold and..well..I couldn't stand it.

If you don't like Saga(which I can't imagine) it could get really annoying hearing everyone rave about it.

I think my point is maybe avoiding ALL podcasts, MBs, and news sites might be the way to go. Don't allow anyone to influence what you pick up and go into each new book knowing absolutely nothing about how it's being received on the net. Experiment on your own and let the fun of finding those diamonds in the rough help get you fired up again.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Thanks for the advice guys, a lot of what you have said makes sense. I just want to get jazzed about comics again. A bit part of this is since I have come into reading, my two cornerstone books were Amazing Spider-Man and Avengers, right now, noth are not really doing it for me. (Superior just is little strange to me and believe it or not, I hate Jonathan Hickman's work, so Avengers is a no go.) So taking a break from the big 2 is most definitely the way to go, I don't really like what they are doing right now.
    So I think I am gonna dial back on the big 2, just read the books I love coming from them, but also try to branch out a bit. I think I want to try old west books or mystery books. Are their any suggestions on that front?
    Also any more advice on the original topic would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    There aren’t many pure westerns these days, though if you don’t mind a little supernatural/horror in your western, The Sixth Gun is pretty awesome. For older stuff there’s Batlash (available in the Showcase Presents format), Jonah Hex (likewise), Blueberry (with art by Jean “Moebius” Giraud, and Tex (with art by Joe Kubert).

For mystery, the current Sherlock Holmes series of mini-series aren't bad. Moriarty was a pretty good recent series, though it was more adventure than mystery much of the time. Stumptown is pretty good as well—didn’t like the second series as much as the first, but it’s still better than most. But it’s hard to top Mark Waid’s Ruse. The recent Marvel revival didn’t quite capture the magic of the original series, but it came close.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I don't read any current Big 2 titles (because of budget and event fatigue, mainly) but I'm still reading comics. When trying to switch your reading habits, you can go in a million directions, honestly. Some people read everything by a certain writer, say BKV or Whedon. Some people look at lists like "the 100 greatest graphic novels" and try to read a smattering of those. Some people dip into back issues, like going through the first 150 issues of Amazing Spider-Man via the trade paperback collections.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Eric_C said:

I think I want to try old west books or mystery books. Are their any suggestions on that front?

Ok this one is a little more difficult to get. Goto ebay and you should be able to find Blueberry by Moebius. Back in the 80s the Epic line published 5 volumes you can find the first 4 pretty easily. Holy cow they are awesome. I was able to get them at a decent price. I quit trying to get the 5th volume.

Rio - is also pretty good.

Then there is Richard Starks Parker - they are not really mystery but they are really great crime books based on an awesome series of books.

There is also XIII - I mentioned this above, but it is spy mystery involving a conspiracy and the assassination of a president. It is really good.

You should also wtill be able to get the Batlash and Jonah Hex Showcases. The art in Batlash is amazing. I didnot like Marvel's Rawhide Kid Essential. Also Vertigo is getting ready to release new collections of thier Jonah Hex series.

I have not read Sixth Gun or Desperados (IDW has an Omnibus) you can get both from instocktrades.

Edited: I forgot the previous Jonah Hex series by DC (pre-new52) was one the best comics published. Also the series Scalped is an incredible modern western.
  • Options
    Eric_C said:

and believe it or not, I hate Jonathan Hickman's work,

• Options
    Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen keeps my passion for comics going. Not only is the art gorgeous, but the story is compelling, emotional, and thought-provoking. If you have not picked up the first trade, it's out now, and you can read the earlier Allan Heinberg stuff if you'd like as well to get a deeper understanding of where the characters have been before.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

image />

There you go. Problem solved.

• Options

Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen keeps my passion for comics going. Not only is the art gorgeous, but the story is compelling, emotional, and thought-provoking. If you have not picked up the first trade, it's out now, and you can read the earlier Allan Heinberg stuff if you'd like as well to get a deeper understanding of where the characters have been before.

I have it, I just haven't read it yet. I will definitely make a point to read it now. Thanks for the heads up
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Eric_C said:

I think I want to try old west books or mystery books. Are their any suggestions on that front?

Ok this one is a little more difficult to get. Goto ebay and you should be able to find Blueberry by Moebius. Back in the 80s the Epic line published 5 volumes you can find the first 4 pretty easily. Holy cow they are awesome. I was able to get them at a decent price. I quit trying to get the 5th volume.

Rio - is also pretty good.

Then there is Richard Starks Parker - they are not really mystery but they are really great crime books based on an awesome series of books.

There is also XIII - I mentioned this above, but it is spy mystery involving a conspiracy and the assassination of a president. It is really good.

You should also wtill be able to get the Batlash and Jonah Hex Showcases. The art in Batlash is amazing. I didnot like Marvel's Rawhide Kid Essential. Also Vertigo is getting ready to release new collections of thier Jonah Hex series.

I have not read Sixth Gun or Desperados (IDW has an Omnibus) you can get both from instocktrades.

Edited: I forgot the previous Jonah Hex series by DC (pre-new52) was one the best comics published. Also the series Scalped is an incredible modern western.
    I will check some of these out, all of them sound like they are right up my alley. Thanks a lot