Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Need help with baby names

2»

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I will eventually try to get my daughter to say the Green Lantern oath and do the "Live Long and Prosper" salute.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I saw an article on comic-related baby name suggestions once, and while the boy names were alright, most of the girl names were of the sort that the girl would maybe eventually choose for herself if she decided to work the stripper pole. Seriously, you name a girl Rogue or Storm or Domino and you're choosing her career for her.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I saw an article on comic-related baby name suggestions once, and while the boy names were alright, most of the girl names were of the sort that the girl would maybe eventually choose for herself if she decided to work the stripper pole. Seriously, you name a girl Rogue or Storm or Domino and you're choosing her career for her.
    It's funny-- we went with Emma, but in this context, I feel I need to point out that it was NOT FOR EMMA FROST, but rather a family name, and one we liked (and while it is not really for the Jane Austen novel, that is a great character). I say that not because there is anything wrong with comic-related names per se, but more that Emma Frost, while a fun character, is not exactly who you would want your little girl looking up to, you know what I mean?

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    two other names you might want to avoid
    Harley (naming a girl after something you ride might not be a great idea)
    Candy (profession choosen)

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    The most popular/chosen first names in Switzerland (official stats, 2008-2011):

Boys:
    #1....NOAH
    #2....LUCA
    #3....LEON
    #4....JONAS
    #5....DAVID
    #6....NICO
    #7....JAN
    #8....LEVIN

Girls:
    #1....LENA
    #2....MIA
    #3....LARA
    #4....ALINA
    #5....LEA
    #6....LAURA
    #7....SARA
    #8....ANNA

:-B
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I say that not because there is anything wrong with comic-related names per se, but more that Emma Frost, while a fun character, is not exactly who you would want your little girl looking up to, you know what I mean?
    It's more like the character you want someone else's daughter to look up to. :))
  • Options
    any news, billydx24?
  • Options
    billydx24billydx24 Posts: 14
    Been a crazy past few days. We've been to the hospital a few times with "fake" labor. My wife is now 39 weeks, and with our doctor going on vacation next Friday, we've scheduled an appointment to be induced on Tuesday. The names we've narrowed it down to are: Liam and Ridley. My wife likes Liam, since it is half of my name (William). I . . . don't hate it. We went to see a movie last week and the preview of "Prometheus" came on. That's where we saw the name Ridley. I imagine we'll go with Liam, but I think we're going to wait until we actually see him to decide.

The name I really wanted was "Dashiell" (I read The Maltese Falcon just recently). My wife does not care for that at all but we may give him that as a middle name.

If you hate any of these names, please don't tell me. :) This has been harder than I thought. Thanks for all the replys, my wife and I appreciate it!
  • Options
    I imagine we'll go with Liam, but I think we're going to wait until we actually see him to decide.
    Liam Neeson is rumored to be the most well-endowed celebrity

Just saying..... :D

btw: I like all your picks - and all the best for the future events.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Ben Linus is a great name. I would not want it to my kids names, seems too predestined to be a crazy manipulator psycho, but I'll let you have that problem.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I imagine we'll go with Liam, but I think we're going to wait until we actually see him to decide.
    Liam makes me think of two recent memes...

Second I'd just keep making my kid say "If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you...." (from Taken)

Liam Neeson is the star of Chuck Norris's nightmares...
  • Options
    "Mommy. Daddy. I need you to get under the bed."
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
  • Options
    Hey Billy,

No rush, as I am sure it is a very busy time, with more important things to attend to, but just wanted to say I hope things are going well, and you will have good news to share soon.
  • Options
    We made it home on Thursday. All I can say is thank goodness for family. My mother and in-laws have been amazingly helpful. We went ahead and named him Liam, which now that I've laid eyes on him fits perfectly. My wife and I are still adjusting to the lack of sleep, but we'll pull through. All the comments have been great, appreciate the thoughts! Off to bed now, since I'll be up again in a few hours :)

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the good news, and all the best. Sleep!
  • Options
    Congrats to Liam! Rest, sir. You will need your strength to mold that mind into the finest geek of our generation.
  • Options
    @billydx24 Awesome news! Congrats to all of you and good luck. May the force be with you - always.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    We made it home on Thursday. All I can say is thank goodness for family. My mother and in-laws have been amazingly helpful. We went ahead and named him Liam, which now that I've laid eyes on him fits perfectly. My wife and I are still adjusting to the lack of sleep, but we'll pull through. All the comments have been great, appreciate the thoughts! Off to bed now, since I'll be up again in a few hours :)

Hope all are happy and healthy, and dont worry you'll get to (sort of) sleep in 3-4 years tops...
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    well, there's Robert Bruce (Banner) or Edward Anthony (Stark) or...don't listen to any of us. except @David_D
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Denver
    Dallas
    Something that starts with D.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Names are important & while I have never been married nor have any kids of my own. I feel the name should be unique but not TOO unique & not after a dang celebrity. I have the same middle name as my father & grandfather but not the same first name & is from the Bible. Just don't make it a popular first name take it from a person who had 4 Matthew's in the first, the second, sixth & the eleventh grades growing up. In my Spanish class & club, I took a different first name to be unique in a sea of other Matthews in that class. I had a high school population of 1,100 to 1,200 during my four years. If a name is too common they will likely go by their middle name. My mom & her father (my other grandfather) both go by their middle names as their first names in public. Hint never name your child to be Sylvia or Louis as a first name. And yes, I love my first name it is unique to me but sometimes growing up it can have its drawbacks. I hope this advice helps you.

Matthew
    Yeah my mother goes by her middle name cause of how much she hates her first name. It is strange most of my family refers to me by me first middle name. But then most of my friends call me by my first name. Plus I can remember while in school any kid with a unusual name got picked on. Like this one kid named Wafer. I pretty much my youngest son's mom pick out his name. And he is named after her grandfather and my second middle name. Also think about how the first name works with the last name. My last name is Cox. And Mom actually wanted to name me Harry. Thankfully Dad put a stop to that.

• Options
    Whatever you choose, make sure your accumulated progeny will share the names of an entire team. Then you have a ready made super hero team if you ever need it.

Or you could just given them numbers and induct them into AIM

AIM agent #1
    AIM agent #2

and you have the advantage of being the Supreme Scientist.

Alternately, just name them after Inhumans. Just imagine it 'Blackagar Boltagon', 'Medusa', Karnak, Crystal, etc
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    The newest baby in our family was named JaxAnthony, 6lbs, 14oz, 21 inches long born at 8:50 pm 07/05/12. Don't congratulate me though this was a 2nd cousin. i had no contribution...dispite what you may have heard about Pekin, IL...
  • Options
    Harlem quibble. Always a classic, just ask Kevin smith
  • Options
    Stupid smartphone keyboard. I meant Harley quinn