Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Speaking of Hawkeye....

One of the Marvel series that I've been most excited about has been Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run. However, after 12 great issues, issue #13 seems to be bouncing around the solicits calendar. I ordered it via DCBS back in May, expecting it in July. Then it got bumped to August, then Sept 25, Now it's been pushed to Oct 16. Supposedly they're going to double ship in October for issues #13 & #14, but at this point I'm beginning to think Clint is the new Dexter...

Preview calendar changes: http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/974?articleID=138813

Comments

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, it's been pushed back a LOT. If I remember right, before the annual came out Steve Wacker (the editor) said something like "Hey, we're getting back on schedule! An issue AND an annual this month!", and then . . . nothing for like THREE months.

I subscribe to the series straight from Marvel, though, and I can confirm that the next issue has finally entered the "processing" column of my subscription account. In other words, the issue's done and hass been sent to the printers.

I've been content to wait for this issue, though. Where we're at in the story very much seems like the end of "season one" or whatever. So weird that the second collected edition stopped at #11 and the Annual, though. They should have just included #12 in that as well, then had this break, and then with #13 in October it'd feel like a proper start of season two.

Oh well. We should be getting caught back up soon.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thanks for that news. It's been so long since I subscribed to the companies. Just been content to go the DCBS route. What's the savings on a subscription these days?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Via the normal route it's about 40% off cover price. But I have an Ebates account and they were running a 40% off cash-back special for magazines.com a few months ago (now it's down to 26%). I subscribed to a dozen Marvel series that way, stacking up the discounts, and it worked out to slightly less than $1.50 an issue. (And I have a friend who out-of-nowhere volunteered to give me $1.50 per digital code on all Avengers/X-related titles, so I'm basically reading all of my titles except Daredevil and Hawkeye for absolutely nothing.) I live in NY so shipping time isn't too bad, and all of my comics have arrived in NM or VF+ condition. Out of the 50 or so total issues that I've received so far, only one was lost in the mail (they sent a replacement) and two took about three weeks after release date to arrive. Everything else has gone beautifully.

But, yeah, Hawkeye. I'm double-dipping for the deluxe hardcover collection that's coming out in November. Issues 1-11 + the Annual + a Young Avengers story + bonus material. Less than $20 from Instocktrades/DCBS. A series like this I need an oversized hardcover of.
  • Options
    The savings on subscription is best when you find one away from the main sites. Other than Amazing Spiderman which I got at 36 issues for $50 at the start of Brand New Day, most Marvel goes for 12 issues for $26.99, a dollar or so knocked off the more titles you order. For a few years every so often Tanga gets DC titles 12 issues for $14.99 which is a great deal for something like Batman that often double sizes issues.
  • Options
    Good info guys. I will be on the look out for some subscription deals while using DCBS until then.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Elsiebub said:

But, yeah, Hawkeye. I'm double-dipping for the deluxe hardcover collection that's coming out in November. Issues 1-11 + the Annual + a Young Avengers story + bonus material. Less than $20 from Instocktrades/DCBS. A series like this I need an oversized hardcover of.

yeah this is a win all day long.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    As far as I'm concerned, it could be published quarterly, or even sesquicentennially, as long as it keeps up the same level of quality.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

As far as I'm concerned, it could be published quarterly, or even sesquicentennially, as long as it keeps up the same level of quality.

Oh, I'd be fine with bi-monthly or quarterly printing even, as long as I was told in advance to expect that. Or even if they stuck to the schedule changes they later offered.

Sesquicentennial printing? Um... no thanks.

• Options

Sesquicentennial printing? Um... no thanks.

Granted, I may have been utilizing a modicum of hyperbole*, but it is the rare occasion when the opportunity arises to utilize the adjectival form of sesquicentennial.

*"A Modicum of Hyperbole": sequel to "A Quantum of Solace"?
  • Options
    Now that I've consumed more coffee, I am inclined to "agree" with you :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Just wanted to note that previewsworld now shows Hawkeye 14 as being pushed back to the end of November. And all subsequent issues have been pushed back accordingly as well.

So, looks like the series will not be getting caught up anytime soon...

But as far as I know issue 13 is still a go for next week!
  • Options
    There will be alternating artists starting with #14, so production should get back up to speed.

Apparently, rushing the Superstorm issue got the schedule wobbling, and the Annual knocked it ass over teakettle.
  • Options
    I know they don't want to alter that creative team, but it's obviously time if they are serious about getting back on schedule.
  • Options

I know they don't want to alter that creative team, but it's obviously time if they are serious about getting back on schedule.

As I said before, I don't mind the wait a bit.

And there's no crossovers dependent on it, so hitting a schedule isn't a big deal.
  • Options
    The Previews website just corrected a typo on their shipping updates page a couple of days ago, that originally had #16 coming out retroactively in January of this year.
  • Options

The Previews website just corrected a typo on their shipping updates page a couple of days ago, that originally had #16 coming out retroactively in January of this year.

I try to rarely use this acronym, but - LOL!
  • Options
    So Hawkeye is not listed in the January solicits. Just sayin'
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So what'd everyone think of Hawkeye #13 now that it shipped?

I was disappointed. We're still going over the SAME mundane events, again.

It apparently takes Aja months to do a new issue. Seems like a huge waste of his talent for Fraction to just have him cover the same stuff from another needless angle.

It's nice art but the storyline really needs to move forward. All the blank panels and sparse/chatty dialogue can start to get annoying if nothing new is happening.

I'm still happy with the series overall and looking forward to where it goes next. But for such a long wait, this issue was a disappointment.
  • Options
    Totally disagree.

I am enjoying the slow unraveling of the events.
  • Options
    I don't mind a slow unraveling of events, but I do like it to roll out consistently...
  • Options

I don't mind a slow unraveling of events, but I do like it to roll out consistently...

There was a sincere apology for the delays on the letterpage.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Liked it alright, but it took me most of the issue to remember the events referenced and to make sense of the timeline. That delay made me forget a lot.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Actually enjoyed this issue (#13) more than the last couple. Really liked how it tied the different timelines(?) (maybe "points of view" is better) together. Loving this title. I'm more than willing to wait longer than normal for comics of this quality.
  • Options
    There's an article (I think at comicbookresources) that shows Fraction's floor with cue cards which plot out the timeframe of issues #8-#13, and shows the events in chronological order, while also showing which issue each event takes place in.
  • Options
    The storytelling just seems needlessly complicated to me. If the events were more convoluted or mysterious, then I would be fine with this multi-issue fractured deconstruction of them.

*shrugs* It was still a decent comic. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with Kate on the left coast.
  • Options
    I love the complexity.

It's nice for a change to read a comic that challenges me, rather than panders to me.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I was totally baffled after the issue with the focus on Barney. I thought that I had missed an issue or two. Now that it has come full circle, I love it. This will be great as a collected volume.
  • Options
    I took a break after the Pizza Dog issue. Still kind of resent paying money for that.
  • Options

I took a break after the Pizza Dog issue. Still kind of resent paying money for that.

*blink*

Whabahuh?

The Pizza Dog issue was FRIKKIN' BRILLIANT!

:-O
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

*blink*

Whabahuh?

The Pizza Dog issue was FRIKKIN' BRILLIANT!

:-O
    Yeah, what @Wetrats said.