Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Retailer Rips Up Pretty Deadly

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
Supposedly an employee at Comics Ink ripped up a copy of Pretty Deadly #1, in front of customers, leading Image to try to get remaining copies pulled.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/24/a-pretty-ripped-up-comic/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/25/image-comics-pulls-pretty-deadly-from-comics-ink/

Comments

• LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited October 2013
    If I hadn't already pre-ordered this, I'd make extra certain to go and buy it now, because honestly? F--- that guy. Guys like that perpetuate the terrible reputation comics retail has had for a few decades now. You don't badmouth your own product in front of the customers. I used to frequent an LCS where the owner did that it was exactly that sort of thing that caused me to stop shopping there.

And Comics Ink is in LA, right? There are a lot of good comic shops in LA. When your competition is the likes of Meltdown and Secret Headquarters, the last thing you do is asshattery like this that drives customers to that competition.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    His product, his store. If this was a DC or Marvel comic, no one would blink. Pulling future issues from the store makes no sense either. What of the customers that have no idea what's going on, and just want their copies? Now Image has screwed them over.

I live in a big city with multiple shops - and I hardly ever - maybe once or twice a year - visit the other ones. And I'm around them frequently.

It's a crybaby attitude on everyone's part. Eric Stephenson of image likes to talk about intimidation of creators by DC and Marvel - I guess now he can add intimidation of retailers to his own name. Whacko.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    Image hasn't got any control over which stores diamond sells to.

btw if you read the first link it explains what happened. Comic Ink didn't do anything wrong or bad. Image comes off looking really dickish with their response.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I would imagine it's something that you may not want customers to see though unless you really don't care. More so with new customers.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2013
    And here I thought it was about provocative material contained within. Then I read the article. Just a "bad story" excuse and Bleeding Cool in need of clicks. Move along... :-<
  • I'm more enraged by the shop worker pulling books out of a pile that was ordered and having the customer being told it was for his own good. Who the $@# does he think he is!? If it were my order, I'd be pissed as hell at someone f###ing around with my preorder in that way and trying to determine what my reading habits should be. I'm paying for that book and I'll make my own choices, and if you're going to dick me around like that -- me, a paying customer! -- then my next choice will be to find a new LCS to give my money to.
  • I'm more enraged by the shop worker pulling books out of a pile that was ordered and having the customer being told it was for his own good. Who the $@# does he think he is!? If it were my order, I'd be pissed as hell at someone f###ing around with my preorder in that way and trying to determine what my reading habits should be. I'm paying for that book and I'll make my own choices, and if you're going to dick me around like that -- me, a paying customer! -- then my next choice will be to find a new LCS to give my money to.

The article is a bit confusing but I don't think the retailer ripped up a customer's copy, but rather a copy in front of customers, making the point that he thought it was worthless, and even then only after he was asked his thoughts. I think retailers should share their opinions (though it'd better serve them to make recommendations rather than condemnations) but this did seem a little extreme. And having read the issue I think those actions were unwarranted. No way is this the worst book ever created. It'd be a "borrow" at worst. There simply wasn't enough to the book to make any real judgments on the overall quality of the story. And the critisisms of Emma Rios' art are unfounded. I think the book is gorgeous and the rough hewn style works with the western fairytale setting.

The article is a bit confusing but I don't think the retailer ripped up a customer's copy, but rather a copy in front of customers, making the point that he thought it was worthless, and even then only after he was asked his thoughts. I think retailers should share their opinions (though it'd better serve them to make recommendations rather than condemnations) but this did seem a little extreme. And having read the issue I think those actions were unwarranted. No way is this the worst book ever created. It'd be a "borrow" at worst. There simply wasn't enough to the book to make any real judgments on the overall quality of the story. And the critisisms of Emma Rios' art are unfounded. I think the book is gorgeous and the rough hewn style works with the western fairytale setting.
    I wasn't even talking about the ripped comic. I was referring to this incident, related by Eric Stephenson:

“I did shop at Comics Ink regularly when I lived in Los Angeles, but I stopped after an incident in which a staff member literally took books out of my stack at the cash register and told me was doing me a favor by putting them back on the shelf. I did not ask for this guy’s input — I was buying Christmas gifts and knew exactly what I wanted — and even after I told him to take his hands off my books and ring them up, he continued to insist he was trying to 'help me out.'”

The ripped comic could be replaced by another copy from the rack, but someone taking the books I ordered and removing them as a 'favor' to me? That would have really tripped my buttons.
  • Of course, upon a careful rereading, this appears to have been a past incident, and not really all that germane to the ripping incident. Still, any store that allows those kind of shenanigans would be one I'd be avoiding in the future.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    Okay, I moved Pretty Deadly #1 up to the top of my pile to see what all the fuss is about. Just finished reading it.

Did I find it “pretentious”? No, not really, though I can see why one might think it is, particularly in regards to the backmatter.

Was it full of “psycho-babble”? No, it was not.

Was the writing “bad”? No. It wasn’t the best thing I read this month, but it was clear enough and interesting enough for my tastes.

Was the artwork “rough-hewn” and “unfinished looking”? Most definitely not! It has a European feel, with some heavy brushwork, which some people may not like, but I think it looks great. And most importantly, it fit the story exceptionally well.

Was there “nothing in there that makes you want to pick up the second issue”? Well, I like westerns, so it has that going for it. And I love the artwork. And the story is interesting enough so far. So, yes, there was in fact something in there that makes me want to pick up the second issue. But I may wait for the first trade instead.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited October 2013
    Image should be thrilled that this guy ripped it up! This is free advertising! How many people are going to check out the book now that maybe wouldn't have without the story? Controversery creates cash.

• I wasn't even talking about the ripped comic. I was referring to this incident, related by Eric Stephenson:

“I did shop at Comics Ink regularly when I lived in Los Angeles, but I stopped after an incident in which a staff member literally took books out of my stack at the cash register and told me was doing me a favor by putting them back on the shelf. I did not ask for this guy’s input — I was buying Christmas gifts and knew exactly what I wanted — and even after I told him to take his hands off my books and ring them up, he continued to insist he was trying to 'help me out.'”

The ripped comic could be replaced by another copy from the rack, but someone taking the books I ordered and removing them as a 'favor' to me? That would have really tripped my buttons.

Shows how closely I read it! But isn't there a certain irony that THEY bashed a book for being pretentious? What do you call a business throwing away money because they "know what's best for you"? Or making grand gestures in front of an audience because a particular book wasn't for you?
  • RickMRickM Posts: 407
    You know why the article is a "bit confusing"? Because Bleeding Cool contains the worst writing on the entire Internet.
  • ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Yeah, Bleeding Cool reporting + a Hannibal Taboo anecdote = nothing good can come from this.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Man, I want my DCBS order to get here. This has got me excited to read it and to see what all the fuss is about. I guess all press is good press.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    If I owned a comic and in the course of shooting the bull with some comic buddies was overcome by a wave of impulsive hyperbole to illustrate how terrible that comic was by tearing it up. You might think it was funny or stupid or whatever. As a retailer he has bought the comic. It is his to sell or do with as he pleases. You may think it is funny or stupid. Doesn't really matter. Image on the other hand by asking diamond to cancel future orders to this shop. I've got some ethical questions about that. If I run a business can I arbitrarily start refusing service to people I don't like? Mouthy people? Short people? brown people? Trans-whatevered people? I'm not soap-boxing here. I really wonder if Images petty "take my ball and go home" behavior doesn't have some problems.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited October 2013
    At the comic shop I worked at in the 90's, we were on a cable access show, and I did a bit as part of a "Extreme Championship Collecting" group where I tore up comics to tell people to quit buying crap...but I wasn't identified as part of the shop. It was a pretty funny bit, I thought. "This is an X-Men comic. The lead character is a child of a clone from an alternate universe. Just quit, Marvel, just quit."

IN the 80's, I knew about a local comic group that had review levels of "Awesome, OK, skip and Hibachi" where they would throw the terrible comics on a Hibachi.

Again, not in a store.

If you do it in your store, you risk pissing off someone who likes that comic, and if you have nearby competition, they will decide to go there...and if you DON'T have nearby competition, there's the internets. Dumb move, but Image should just shut up and sell books.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Reminds me of the sad, pretentious jerk who used to run the only comic shop in Asheville, NC years ago.

He wouldn't order Mage for me because he didn't consider it a "professional" comic book.

I started driving 60 miles out of my way to patronize a better shop.

Image should be able to disassociate their product with this shop if they wish.

Life's too short to waste time playing games with assholes.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Shut up and sell me my books, LCS.

Reminds me of the Chase card commercial making the rounds where the guy builds up points to attend a comic convention. Take a look at the "approving" look the clerk at the comic store gives the guy when he sees what he's buying. Piss off, buddy, and ring up the sale.

This isn't to say I don't discuss books with people who work at the LCSs I go to...but they'll still sell me a shitty book if I want to buy it.
  • mwhitt80 said:

Image hasn't got any control over which stores diamond sells to.

btw if you read the first link it explains what happened. Comic Ink didn't do anything wrong or bad. Image comes off looking really dickish with their response.

Sure they do. And why not flex a little?
  • Okay, I moved Pretty Deadly #1 up to the top of my pile to see what all the fuss is about. Just finished reading it.

Did I find it “pretentious”? No, not really, though I can see why one might think it is, particularly in regards to the backmatter.

Was it full of “psycho-babble”? No, it was not.

Was the writing “bad”? No. It wasn’t the best thing I read this month, but it was clear enough and interesting enough for my tastes.

Was the artwork “rough-hewn” and “unfinished looking”? Most definitely not! It has a European feel, with some heavy brushwork, which some people may not like, but I think it looks great. And most importantly, it fit the story exceptionally well.

Was there “nothing in there that makes you want to pick up the second issue”? Well, I like westerns, so it has that going for it. And I love the artwork. And the story is interesting enough so far. So, yes, there was in fact something in there that makes me want to pick up the second issue. But I may wait for the first trade instead.

I couldn't have said it better myself. It wasn't the best thing I've ever read but I thoroughly enjoyed the writing, the story and the art. It is a first issue. As a first issue it asked some questions to which I became curious to find answers. And that is really the job of a first issue...
    In regards to the art, It seems there are still people out there who need everything spoon fed to them with art that looks like classic/generic Jim Lee wannabes or Jack Kirby ripoffs with coloring by some airbrush guy from the dirt mall.
    Anything remotely artistic throws them into a fit.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Wow. That's quite the negative generalization there. Or, you know, maybe those people just have a preference. :-??
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    these first-world-problems sure are tough to stomach >:D<
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    WetRats said:

Reminds me of the sad, pretentious jerk who used to run the only comic shop in Asheville, NC years ago.

He wouldn't order Mage for me because he didn't consider it a "professional" comic book.

I started driving 60 miles out of my way to patronize a better shop.

Image should be able to disassociate their product with this shop if they wish.

Life's too short to waste time playing games with assholes.

The guy at the shop I mentioned in my earlier post would complain that I was buying stuff like the Milligan / Allred X-Force. The typical exchange went like:

Him: "Gaaaaah! Why do you buy this crap? You're the only one of my customers that still gets this!"

Me: "I'm still paying for it, so why does it matter?"

Him: "Well, I still have to order it for you every month and it's a waste of my time and effort."

After a series of such interactions, I decided to save him all that the trouble of inputting the number 1 into that one slot on his order form every month and took my business elsewhere.
  • I left a shop I was dropping around $35 - $50 a week back in 1985 (!) when I got tired of the monkey working the counter mocking the books I bought every week. When I discovered on-line ordering, I quietly cancelled my subscription. The owner didn't ask why, and I figured that told me all I needed to know.