Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Your Most-Missed Series

The discussion of the impending demise of Fables got me thinking:

What series do you miss the most?*

Mine is Sandman Mystery Theater.

Although it ran far longer than I expected it to, I would have dearly loved to see it continue into the war years.

*This may be a re-hashed subject. If so, forgive me, I'm old.

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    There are few really short lived series that I wish would have continued.

The Crew
    Thanos

The one series I miss most off the top of my head is Hitman. Just because it wrapped up perfectly does not mean I can't miss it. I would hate if anything was added to the story or there were extra stories (outside of that amazing JLA classified two parter). I miss reading Tommy and the gang; I just miss it.
  • Options
    The Crew should have lasted longer. I will always miss Slingers, that's the big one for me.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    DnA's Nova and GotG
    Red Robin
    PAD's Captain Marvel
  • Options
    Tangled Web
    Irredeemable Ant-Man
    Spider-man and Doom 2099
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Ordway's Power of Shazam
    Clairemont's Sovereign Seven (yeah, I said it!) :)
    Atari Force
    Omega Men
    Arion, Lord of Atlantis
  • Options
    Nexus and Badger. I'd buy ANY of the old First series in a heartbeat, but those two I miss the most.
  • Options
    I miss many of Crossgen's books. The First, Negation, Negation War, Crux, Ruse, and many of the others.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Torchsong said:

Ordway's Power of Shazam
    Atari Force
    Omega Men
    Arion, Lord of Atlantis

No Demon Knights!?!?!?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    My list *could* be a lot longer...Demon Knights would definitely be on there. It was a good'un...
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Ordway's Power of Shazam
    Atari Force
    Omega Men
    Arion, Lord of Atlantis

You and your white bread arion ;)
    The Omega Men was really good, but man did it go off the rails after crisis.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I'm sure I could think of more, but the recent, immediate one that comes to mind is Hellblazer.
  • Options
    I do miss Hellblazer
  • Options
    JSA. For a few years my only involvement with comics was listening to CGS and not even reading actual comics then I would only read trades from the library for awhile. JSA and Fables got me to actually go into a comic store monthly.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited November 2013
    The Amazing Spider-Man. It could have easily hit 900 issues if it weren't for Slott. ZING! Haha! ;)
  • Options
    I will second the JSA. Man, JSA back in the day was a fantastic monthly read. Might have been some of Johns' very best work.

A cancelled-far-too-soon book that I thought had a lot of energy and potential to it was The Order, a Marvel book with (gasp) a WHOLE NEW TEAM OF CHARACTERS by Fraction and Kitson. It is sad that, had they been allowed to call it The Champions, it might have lasted an extra year.

And even though it came to an organic, and very satisfying end, I am bummed that there will be no more trades of The Boys to devour.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Tellos. I miss Wieringo and I wish there were more stories. There was so much more in that world to see. Thankfully, he and Todd Dezago were able to complete the first arc.

Steampunk. Joe Casey and Chris Bachalo. It was confusing to read, but dang it looked purty.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Gray & Palmiotti's Power Girl & Jonah Hex (vol. 2) (the non Gotham City version). Byrne's She Hulk & Brubaker's Criminal.

Matthew
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

The Amazing Spider-Man. It could have easily hit 900 issues if it weren't for Slott. ZING! Haha! ;)

It'll be Amazing Spidey again by the end of 2014. Things are falling into place for the final story arc.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

DnA's Nova and GotG

was just gonna say... :)

also, i wish Marvel had stuck with Immortal Iron Fist and explored the mythos further. there were other Immortal Weapons too, aside from the Iron Fist!

• Options
    and Brubaker's Winter Soldier!!
  • Options
    Criminal, absolutely.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Nextwave from Marvel, so much fun, Agents of Atlas, Marvel kept trying but the public kept NOT buying, shame on the majority of the public....those off the top of my head, will have more to come for sure
  • Options
    Captain Carrot And His Amazing Zoo Crew.
  • Options
    JamieD said:

Nextwave from Marvel, so much fun, Agents of Atlas, Marvel kept trying but the public kept NOT buying, shame on the majority of the public....those off the top of my head, will have more to come for sure

THIS!!! somebody tie Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen and make 'em do a sequel!!
  • Options
    David_D said:

I will second the JSA. Man, JSA back in the day was a fantastic monthly read. Might have been some of Johns' very best work.

A cancelled-far-too-soon book that I thought had a lot of energy and potential to it was The Order, a Marvel book with (gasp) a WHOLE NEW TEAM OF CHARACTERS by Fraction and Kitson. It is sad that, had they been allowed to call it The Champions, it might have lasted an extra year.

And even though it came to an organic, and very satisfying end, I am bummed that there will be no more trades of The Boys to devour.

I LOVED The Order, it was fantastic, and I really enjoyed Kitson's artwork on the book, IMO some of his best stuff.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Mine is Sandman Mystery Theater.

Although it ran far longer than I expected it to, I would have dearly loved to see it continue into the war years.

An excellent choice. Definitely high on my list.
    fredzilla said:

Tellos. I miss Wieringo and I wish there were more stories. There was so much more in that world to see. Thankfully, he and Todd Dezago were able to complete the first arc.

Todd and Craig Rousseau did a story after Mike passed away, and some other artists came in for a series of short stories, but, yeah, it wasn’t quite the same without Mike.
    JamieD said:

Two more great choices. I included Nextwave on my Honorable Mention list for my Marvel Top 5, so you know I loved that series too. And Agents of Atlas is probably my favorite thing Jeff Parker’s ever done. I wish he had been able to finish up what he had planned.

There are so many I could choose. Brubaker’s Captain America had a good long run, as did Starman. Green Lantern: Mosaic got cut too short, and it was such a thoughtful, interesting series, especially considering DC’s output at the time, but it was bound to be interfered with eventually. I wish Mark Waid had been able to continue with Ruse at CrossGen. Beatty’s stories were fine, but I really wanted to see where Mark was going with it. So many more...

I think I will settle on Guy Davis and Gary Reed’s Baker Street. Once Guy got full-time work from DC, Baker Street had to fall by the wayside, right after the most dramatic revelation of the series. I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan, and this was such an interesting take on the theme. I keep bugging Guy to finish the series. Maybe one of these days I’ll get my wish.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Tangled Web
    Irredeemable Ant-Man
    Spider-man and Doom 2099

Oh, yeah. I liked Irredeemable Ant-Man too. I'd read more Eric O'Grady any day.

Nexus and Badger. I'd buy ANY of the old First series in a heartbeat, but those two I miss the most.

Coo Coo for Coco Puffs!
    demonbear said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

DnA's Nova and GotG

was just gonna say... :)

also, i wish Marvel had stuck with Immortal Iron Fist and explored the mythos further. there were other Immortal Weapons too, aside from the Iron Fist!

Loved Immortal Iron Fist! My most missed was going a little more old school with Power Man & Iron Fist. Or even a Heroes for Hire IF It included Luke and Danny.

• Options
    Vietnam Journal - This was one of the first few series I collected. And it was amazing. From Apple Comics, written & drawn by Don Lomax, a Vietnam veteran himself, it took an unflinching look at the Vietnam war and was engaging on a storytelling level as well. In recent years, Lomax has returned to this series and character, and I just received the three trades of stories I've, mostly, never read. So I do get to return to this, though the number of stories is still too few for me.

Strikeforce: Morituri - This is another one of those first few books that really captured my interest and hooked me into comics. Though it did drop off in quality a bit when Mark Bagley came on as artist - there was also a new writer at this time, around issue 20, but his name escapes me right now - it was still a fascinating science fiction comic. Too bad the "prestige format" sequel (the first of multiple stories promised) was horrible. But the main series was pretty good, with the first year and half being exemplary, in my opinion.

chris
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I miss X-Statix, Shade the Changing Man (Vertigo), Thieves & Kings, and Y the Last Man