Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Your Most-Missed Series

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I miss Johns & Morales take on Hawkman. And, I want to add my voice to those that miss JSA.
    A couple of series of very high quality that ended badly.
  • Options
    DP7, Chronos, Y: The Last Man
  • Options
    All-Star Squadron
  • Options
    So many to name! Obviously, I'm leaving out other huge examples (which will plague me as I try to fall asleep tonight) but here are a few that come to mind…

STARMAN
    James Robinson's writing was like poetry, with a feel that was both classic and contemporary. This title was such an amazing reinvention of the superhero comic. And Tony Harris' art was flatout gorgeous; it was perfect for Robinson's tone, it fed right into my love for art deco, and it helped me fall in love with this title forever.

CHECKMATE
    Greg Rucka kicked ass and took names writing this awesome spy/superhero title, which followed up after the events of "Infinite Crisis" and "The OMAC Project." Now that I think of it, this comic book is exactly what the "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" TV series *should* be. (ABC execs, please sit down and read the trades.) Just a real fun and unique book which made me excited every single time I saw it in my pull-list pile.

X-STATIX ( and X-FORCE #115-129)
    Such a bizarre, delicious and addictive soap opera this run was :D I dunno whose idea it was over at Marvel to mix the splashy, colorful pop art of Mike Allred with Peter Milligan's dark and realistic themes of beginner superhero-ing in the media age… but holy f-ck, it worked like gangbusters! The first issue alone (X-F #115) managed to do something pretty strange and unique for comics, which is tough to do in a medium as aged and well-worn as comic books are. So yeah - this story had me at hello.

Damn, I love comics so much! LOL
  • Options

I dunno whose idea it was over at Marvel to mix the splashy, colorful pop art of Mike Allred with Peter Milligan's dark and realistic themes of beginner superhero-ing in the media age… but holy f-ck, it worked like gangbusters!

Agreed! And it was Axel Alonso’s idea to team them up after Mike had let Joe Quesada know he was interested in doing something for Marvel.
  • Options

I dunno whose idea it was over at Marvel to mix the splashy, colorful pop art of Mike Allred with Peter Milligan's dark and realistic themes of beginner superhero-ing in the media age… but holy f-ck, it worked like gangbusters!

Agreed! And it was Axel Alonso’s idea to team them up after Mike had let Joe Quesada know he was interested in doing something for Marvel.
    Then Mr. Axel Alonso needs to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    The Epic imprint Shadowline books - particularly Doctor Zero.
    Valiant Magnus and Solar books
    Alien Legion
    Rom
    Micronauts
    a quality Legion of Super Heroes book.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Remembered a new one I really miss
    The amazing Fell
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited November 2013
    Power Girl with Amanda Conner art.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Totally forgot about the Micronauts...that'd definitely be on my list.

Also a good Cloak & Dagger book
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Micronauts
    All Star Squadron
    Batman and The Outsiders
    Warlord
    Rom
  • Options
    Atari Force
    Thriller
    Power Of Shazam!
    Martian Manhunter
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Archie)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Does Thing by Slott count, it was only 8 issues would like that to be a lot longer.

And it looks like my list will also have Ultimate Spider-man coming up very soon
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Krescan said:

Does Thing by Slott count, it was only 8 issues would like that to be a lot longer.

Yeah. That was a great series.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Just read the trade on that (The Thing by Dan Slott) and it was a fun series.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Totally forgot about the Micronauts...that'd definitely be on my list.

Also a good Cloak & Dagger book

Micronauts spotlight please!!!!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Krescan said:

Idol Billions. I loved those 8 issues.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    1) Byrne on Action w/ Simone writing & prior w/ 1986-88 of the Superman titles.

2) Carlos Pacheco on JLA/JSA Virtue & Vice

3) Fell I so want another few issues to make a 2nd trade

4) Criminal Yes I love Fatale but I want even more crime noir

5) Byrne on FF even if it is a one shot OGN

Matthew

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited November 2013
    mguy1977 said:

This reminded me of another series I miss that didn’t get much of a chance: Arrowsmith by Kurt Busiek and Carlos Pacheco. And for that matter Shock Rockets by Busiek and Stuart Immonen.

I just did a search for Arrowsmith, and according to Pacheco, it seems Arrowsmith might be making a comeback! I hope that’s the case.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    hauberk said:

Rom
    Micronauts

I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention Rom & Micronauts. Don't forget Shogun Warriors.

Byrne's Alpha Flight (obviously).

Black Panther
    Ka-zar
    Defenders
    Man-Thing
    Silver Surfer
    and for crying out loud... someone give me a good ongoing Doctor Strange book.

I also remember digging Blackwulf. I haven't re-read it since it came out, and it was probably terrible... but I was sad when it was cancelled.

I would say Marvel UK, but it looks like we're getting some of those back in a couple of months (according to the most recent previews). Hurray!

oh... and pretty much all of the pre-new52 DC universe. For me, WB should have just shut down DC instead of publishing any more comics.

• Options

mguy1977 said:

This reminded me of another series I miss that didn’t get much of a chance: Arrowsmith by Kurt Busiek and Carlos Pacheco. And for that matter Shock Rockets by Busiek and Stuart Immonen.

I just did a search for Arrowsmith, and according to Pacheco, it seems Arrowsmith might be making a comeback! I hope that’s the case.
    I've heard that as well.

Yay!
  • Options
    Another one:

Leave it to Chance
  • Options
    Having just gone through the Manhunter trades, I'd add it to my list. Haven't quite finished the Chase trade yet, but that also looks to be going onto the list.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited November 2013
    mguy1977 said:

Carlos Pacheco on JLA/JSA Virtue & Vice

Good one. Virtue & Vice is right up there with his Avengers Forever.
    What the Heck happened to that guy!?! His current work is a pale shade of what it used to be. His characters had the most expressive hands in the industry, and his work was so dynamic... now it is (dare I say it) average, verging on boring.

and I'll add Alan Davis' Clan Destine to my list.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Can I add that I would love some more JMS Supreme Power action.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I want JMS to come back to Marvel and do a special one-shot to finish his run on Thor.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    rebis said:

I want JMS to come back to Marvel and do a special one-shot to finish his run on Thor.

I want the Superman Earth One Vol. 3 OGN first. After that have Thor go on a 96 page journey into mystery grand adventure.

Matthew

PS
    Lock up Joey Q & his successor in an underground bunker so there is no repeat of the Spidey mess. --Signed the entire comics reading community.

• Options
    mguy1977 said:

rebis said:

I want the Superman Earth One Vol. 3 OGN first. After that have Thor go on a 96 page journey into mystery grand adventure.

Matthew

PS
    Lock up Joey Q & his successor in an underground bunker so there is no repeat of the Spidey mess. --Signed the entire comics reading community.

I gave up on JMS's Spidey when Norman Osborne retro-raped Gwen. And remember, JMS wanted to undo even MORE with One More Day, and take the series back to before Gwen died.

• Options

I gave up on JMS's Spidey when Norman Osborne retro-raped Gwen.

Osbourne seduced Gwen.

JMS raped her.