Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Your Most-Missed Series

13»

Comments

• Options
    Volume 3 of Manhunter. I cannot successfully express in words how much I miss this series.

And really, if I can just sum it up for me with almost everything prior to DC's One Year Later or, if I'm really picky, Countdown to Infinite Crisis. Man, I miss those days. I felt like DC was firing on all cylinders.

• Options
    random73 said:
    Yes!! This was a surprisingly fun series! A friend of mine recorded most of them on VHS, but the quality is so-so. I keep waiting for these to finally go to DVD.
  • Options
    ...aaaannnndddd... apparently it is on DVD!!!!!

I did not know that!! I'll have to look into that! O wallet -- where is thy cash!?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

I did not know that!! I'll have to look into that! O wallet -- where is thy cash!?

Lol I didn't know it was out either. Another series I wish I could find in a non-bootleg format would be The Werewolf with chuck connors circa 1989 it was one of Fox's first season of shows right along with Duet an The Tracy Ulman Show. Every time the kid would transform the pentagram on his palm would start bleeding. It was delightfully creepy and scared the heck out of me as a kid but Fox was still a new channel so half the time all I could get was static from a little postage stamp sized black and white tv with rabbit ears.
  • Options
    I think we are all missing what is *really* important about this post:
    random73 said:

random73 linked to a BING search.

A BING SEARCH.

Let that settle in.

:))
  • Options
    random73 said:

Lol I didn't know it was out either. Another series I wish I could find in a non-bootleg format would be The Werewolf with chuck connors circa 1989 it was one of Fox's first season of shows right along with Duet an The Tracy Ulman Show. Every time the kid would transform the pentagram on his palm would start bleeding. It was delightfully creepy and scared the heck out of me as a kid but Fox was still a new channel so half the time all I could get was static from a little postage stamp sized black and white tv with rabbit ears.
    I loved Werewolf. That and The New Adventures of Beans Baxter.

Ah, early Fox...
  • Options

I think we are all missing what is *really* important about this post:

random73 said:

random73 linked to a BING search.

A BING SEARCH.

Let that settle in.

:))
    I hang my head in shame because...I don't know why that is bad.

:-??
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

Not so much bad, as unusual.

You're a freaking unicorn, man. You're Sasquatch!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Not so much bad, as unusual.

You're a freaking unicorn, man. You're Sasquatch!
    Huge and harry with an almost mythical horn? I can live with that.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Hate
    Yeah!
    Star Brand
    ROM
    Man-thing
    Howard the Duck
    Master of Kung FU
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I really miss The Maze Agency, Mike W. Barr's fun "fair play" mystery detective series. It has been revived a few times since the initial Comico / Innovation run, but it never seems to last long, sadly. IDW's revival mini-series from a few years back didn't even get its complete run, IIRC, getting out just 3 of 6 issues (their planned series of reprint TPBs got scuttled after the first volume, too).
  • Options

random73 said:

I loved Werewolf. That and The New Adventures of Beans Baxter.

Ah, early Fox...
    I forgot about those. Probably because we didn't get Fox where I lived at that time so although I'd see the ads sometimes on cable, I never got to see the shows for the first year or two of Fox's existence. I think I saw one episode of Werewolf, but missed out on Beans Baxter completely.
  • Options

I really miss The Maze Agency, Mike W. Barr's fun "fair play" mystery detective series. It has been revived a few times since the initial Comico / Innovation run, but it never seems to last long, sadly. IDW's revival mini-series from a few years back didn't even get its complete run, IIRC, getting out just 3 of 6 issues (their planned series of reprint TPBs got scuttled after the first volume, too).

I've been scouring LCS's and every con I go to for the last 2 years and haven't been able to find a single issue. I read an article about the series years ago and found the first issue to read online and loved it. I see them on eBay every so often but that takes the fun out of the hunt.
  • Options

I've been scouring LCS's and every con I go to for the last 2 years and haven't been able to find a single issue. I read an article about the series years ago and found the first issue to read online and loved it. I see them on eBay every so often but that takes the fun out of the hunt.
    I have the complete run but it took me a really long time to pull it all together, especially the later issues from Innovation and the Calibur Press mini-series.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Tangled Web
    Irredeemable Ant-Man
    Spider-man and Doom 2099

Matt said:

I miss Peter David's original Miguel O'Hara/Spider-Man 2099 run.

That is all.

M

Peter David and Miquel O'Hara are back together - starting in July: http://www.peterdavid.net/2014/03/27/spider-man-2099/
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited March 2014
    heh.. apparently, I already answered this one.
  • Options
    A favorite of mine from when I was a kid:

• Options
    JersenJersen Posts: 39
    I have to lend a "hell yeah" to a few series that have already been mentioned:

DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy
    Red Robin
    X-Statix

A few others that I can think of off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned yet are:

DnA's Legion of Super-Heroes
    Jim Shooter's LSH (most recent run)
    The Second Life of Dr. Mirage
    Resurrection Man
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,883
    edited March 2014
    Hellblazer.
    Criminal.
    Queen and Country.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,621
    Here's my current list as of this morning:

Simon Dark
    ShadowPact
    Criminal
    Fell
  • Options
    Nexus: Nexus is amazeballs. Given it's popularity, I'm astonished it hasn't come back around for a re-invention. Maybe nobody else can work on it? Or someone else owns the license? IDK, but it NEEDS to be back in my life.

Modred the Mystic: Only two options in and I'm realizing these are the comics I FIRST read. Anywho, Modred just seems like a fun mix of Medieval, magic, archaeology and superheroics. I want that wild "a-typical comic" back in my life.

Ragman: Come on. The suit of souls concept is RIPE for a comeback, especially in this new DARKER DCU. As a matter of fact, it's possible a New 52ization of Ragman might actually HELP the character.
  • Options
    Stephanie Brown's Batgirl is definitely a book that I miss.

Well I guess thinking about it, I miss the DCU pre nu52 but thats not exactly a book.

Also, while I do love Miles Morales I miss Ultimate Peter Parker's version of Ultimate Spider-Man more so that book as well.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    What am I missing about Nexus? I have the first omnibus but I keep finding myself setting it aside in favor of things that are actually...good.
  • Options
    JersenJersen Posts: 39

Well I guess thinking about it, I miss the DCU pre nu52 but thats not exactly a book.

I was all in on the New 52 when it began, but my opinion has slowly been turning in this direction, especially after so many good things have ended or changed.

Back on topic, one book/character that I haven't seen anything from for quite a while that would tickle my funnybone is Megaton Man.
  • Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    The first thing that springs to my mind is the first volume of Thunderbolts. The whole concept and execution were so much fun to read; a great twist on superheroes in general and an interesting way to see characters who would otherwise only be resurrected every once in a while as Villain Of The Month.

Now, it's a sort of Secret Avengers black ops thing - still OK, but not the same.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

What am I missing about Nexus? I have the first omnibus but I keep finding myself setting it aside in favor of things that are actually...good.

Well, just like anything else, nothing is for EVERYONE. So if you've read a few issues and don't like it, then obviously it's not for you. But if you haven't read anything at all, give it a shot. It's space Punisher with powers and with a supernatural justification for the killings. I love the cosmic side, I love the politics that happen on "his" planet, I love how he tries to deal with the godlike reverence people hold for him, I love how he grapples with the idea of carrying out these killings and if they're REALLY justified and if he really has a handle on his own destiny.

There's tons to like about Nexus, what you find to like is up to you. Power through the first omnibus, if you don't like it, then you don't like it, no worries. If you don't, swing back by and tell me why, I'd be curious to know. But I hope you enjoy it. :D
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,742

Mr_Cosmic said:

Well, just like anything else, nothing is for EVERYONE. So if you've read a few issues and don't like it, then obviously it's not for you. But if you haven't read anything at all, give it a shot. It's space Punisher with powers and with a supernatural justification for the killings. I love the cosmic side, I love the politics that happen on "his" planet, I love how he tries to deal with the godlike reverence people hold for him, I love how he grapples with the idea of carrying out these killings and if they're REALLY justified and if he really has a handle on his own destiny.

There's tons to like about Nexus, what you find to like is up to you. Power through the first omnibus, if you don't like it, then you don't like it, no worries. If you don't, swing back by and tell me why, I'd be curious to know. But I hope you enjoy it. :D
    Yeah, it’s definitely not for everyone. I would add that it gets a lot better after the first dozen or so issues. Also, at the time these stories first came out—1981(!)—comics were a lot different—this was several years before Watchmen and Dark Knight—and Nexus was doing things that just weren’t done in comics. And it was one of the first breakout independent books of the direct market era. It wasn’t as big as Ninja Turtles would be a few years later, but it was made a lot of noise in the comic community, so there is some historical significance attached to it.
  • Options

Yeah, it’s definitely not for everyone. I would add that it gets a lot better after the first dozen or so issues.

See, I didn't want to say that because it might put them off, but it IS true. I enjoyed it through the first omnibus, but it wasn't until the first appearance of the Merk (issue #18) in the second volume that I REALLY got enraptured with it. The Merk really sucked me into this Nexus world. Unforunately you have to invest in TWO omnibi before you get there. :(

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2014

The Runaways

But only if Vaughan writes it. It will probably always be in my top 10.