Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1435 Talkback: Spotlight on Marvel Monsters

2»

Comments

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    random73 said:

rebis said:

random73 said:

Peter said:

random73 said:

Peter said:

If he's able to get them motivated enough to finish the abandoned Wonder Woman spotlights, I'd call that a plus.

Does EVERY comment have to be derogatory?
    uhmmm.... I was simply responding to JDick's post right above it asking about if he was well versed in DC and connecting it to a DC Spotlight that was never finished. If you felt that was derogatory, you're bringing that guest to the party. :O)
    The phrase

"If he's able to get them motivated enough to finish..."

doesn't in my opinion paint the other geeks in a flattering light. It makes them sound like some parent's slacker kids in the basement that don't want to mow the lawn. I think they are a hard working bunch of guys devoting their time to this and I hate to see them taken for granted or unappreciated.
    I took this as a friend giving his buddies a bit of a jab. Nothing malicious here.
    ok. @rebis I'll let it go.
    I do appreciate you standing up for us but I knew what Peter meant by the comment and I didnt take any offense to it at all, Like stated above friendly jabs from friends, my response is he is welcome back anytime to take up the mantle for Wonder Woman spotlights, I welcome him with open arms :D
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    JamieD said:

random73 said:

rebis said:

random73 said:

Peter said:

random73 said:

Peter said:

If he's able to get them motivated enough to finish the abandoned Wonder Woman spotlights, I'd call that a plus.

Does EVERY comment have to be derogatory?
    uhmmm.... I was simply responding to JDick's post right above it asking about if he was well versed in DC and connecting it to a DC Spotlight that was never finished. If you felt that was derogatory, you're bringing that guest to the party. :O)
    The phrase

"If he's able to get them motivated enough to finish..."

doesn't in my opinion paint the other geeks in a flattering light. It makes them sound like some parent's slacker kids in the basement that don't want to mow the lawn. I think they are a hard working bunch of guys devoting their time to this and I hate to see them taken for granted or unappreciated.
    I took this as a friend giving his buddies a bit of a jab. Nothing malicious here.
    ok. @rebis I'll let it go.
    I do appreciate you standing up for us but I knew what Peter meant by the comment and I didnt take any offense to it at all, Like stated above friendly jabs from friends, my response is he is welcome back anytime to take up the mantle for Wonder Woman spotlights, I welcome him with open arms :D
    Gotcha @JamieD. Knee jerk reaction on my part. Of course, a response from the source saying, "No, no I didn't mean that at all the geeks are the hardest working guys in podcasting and I appreciate them all". Would have clarified pretty nicely, too.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited November 2013
    Boy, you really want the source to get derogatory on your ass don'tcha? I'm so glad you decided to "let it go". No agenda from you at all, I'm sure. :P

I don't need to clarify anything. YOU put the meaning you wanted to read on the comment. My meaning was exactly what I wrote: The Wonder Woman spotlights were abandoned for whatever reason: lack of reading experience, lack of interest, etc. Having someone motivate the crew to put their collective heads together on the topic would be a good way to give the character her due.

As for me taking up the mantle for those eps, pssshhhhh - that's a Producer's job. Break out the invisible jet and star spangled panties, Shiznit! ;)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I'm sorry @Peter. You're right. It is all in my head. I don't know what could have ever made me misjudge your character so profoundly. Please forgive me.
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    Loved it! But no Ghost Rider fans amongst the geeks?? For shame :) None of you read much GR..ah wells, I know there's tons to read. The Johnny Blaze stuff is good imo. Ghost Rider is my favorite Marvel character and perhaps the most powerful as well. He's gotten a bum rap due to the horrible movies - I did like the 1st, only because it was my life long dream to see flame head on the big screen- although Nick Cage IS NOT JOHNNY BLAZE! I'd much rather of seen the original actor casted play that role..Johnny Depp. And Blaze was never a kooky jelly bean eating freakazoid. His conflict was much more like a Bruce/Hulk thing. I don't believe, if I remember correctly that the Zarathos stuff was ever a part of the original lore. And I was never a fan of 90's Ketch GR...but I read it all anyway :) late 70's 80's GR was the cat's meow though. Some really good stories in there. And tomb of Dracula is probably my favorite Marvel run of any series. I loved Werewolf By Night as well but the narraration aspect to it does get tiresome.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    also wasn't there a short lived but excellent Captain Britain series with a really good Dracula arc through it recently. i mean maybe 5 years ago?
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Vampire State in Captain Britain and MI13 by Paul Cornell
  • Options
  • Options
    Amazing work fellas, Chris always brings some added life to these shows.

Couple of things:

1) The Darkhold. My ONLY exposure to the Darkhold was the following...

2) For those of you missing Power Records (like Chris) I listen to a show dedicated to Firestorm and Aquaman called 'The Fire and Water Podcast'. They did special episodes every now and then spotlighting power records (and RE-AIRING the original audio!!!!). Just recently they decided to make those power records spotlights their own SPIN-OFF. Trust me. As a fellow lover of power records, this is one of the more amazing treats in the podcasting world (particularly for the re-aired audio). It shows up in the main 'Fire and Water' feed but the main show (and their OTHER spin off all about going issue by issue through "Who's Who?", OMG Murd would LOVE it)

imageimage

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Loved this episode. I have pretty much stopped listening months ago. But the spotlight and Uncle Sal episodes always get downloaded.

I rediscovered the 70s Marvel horror stuff a few years ago thanks to the Essential line of trades.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    @Adam_Murdough there are few books that I can say I stopped reading because of the art alone and Nick Fury's Howling Commandos is one of them. The original artist was so terrible..maybe the reason you avoided it? I'm glad to hear Norton came on the book later on but by that point I think the series was doomed.
  • Options
    When I was on a Kirby kick, I bought a ton of these monster books for the reprints. The 70s monsters are great, but my favorite Marvel monster is Spragg, the Living Hill!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Finally found the time to listen to this one and enjoyed it thoroughly. The Spotlights are always good listens, and Chris brings both an energy and a structure to the discussions that really helps keep them on track and makes them fun to listen to. There's one character I thought for sure would end up in @Adam_Murdough's notes that apparently didn't make the cut, though... Woodgod! Admittedly he's more of a science experiment than a "true" monster, but he's one of the most bizarre Marvel characters of the 70s and his origin story is a real hoot thanks to creators Bill Mantlo and Keith Giffen.

Short version: two nerve gas-creating scientists fall in love and decide to bring new life into the world. They don't just have a baby, though, because where's the science in that? No, they combine human and animal DNA to clone a genetic hybrid that looks like a satyr from Greek mythology. As you do. Anyway, he's discovered, people storm the lab, the scientists are killed, Woodgod has to go on the defensive, an Army detachment led by Col. Del Tremens (because Mantlo & Giffen) gets involved, and antics ensue.

Unsurprisingly, no one was really sure what to do with him after that debut story in Marvel Premiere #31, but he bounced around a few titles and team-up books in the years afterward because he's too weird not to be used!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

two nerve gas-creating scientists fall in love and decide to bring new life into the world.

That's EXACTLY how my parents started their 'birds & the bees' talk with me.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I did enjoy this episode a lot! Welcome Chris and good job, Jamie! Made me wonder though, what ever happened to my Marvel black-and-white magazines? I had Savage Tales from issue 2, Vampire Tales 1 on up to something or other, and some others. I think I remember some Satana issues and some Pablo Marcos art on Morbius the Living Vampire? If I threw them out I guess it's just as well, they were most likely all beaten up and worn from countless re-readings.
  • Options
    A few odd notes:

The Chamber Of Darkness comic that came out in the 60's had a tale by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith that was intended as a warm-up to the Conan comic that would come out a year or so later.

Doctor Strange was a title that was pretty much on the cusp of the horror comics. While it didn't often touch on that particular world, it came close at times by flirting with Lovecraftian concepts. But there was also the classic two-part Dr Strange vs Dracula story that ran between both titles, written by Steve Englehart and Marv Wolfman. Of course, Gene Colan and Tom Palmer were regular artists on both books.

We mustn't forget that, in spite of Marv Wolfman's long association with the Tomb Of Dracula and his grand development of the characters, he was not the original writer or creator of the series. That was Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway. Conway scripted the first couple of issues and was followed in quick succession by Archie Goodwin and Gardner Fox, before Wolfman settled in.

The organization seeking Ted Sallis' experimental recreation of the super-soldier formula was indeed AIM, and that was revealed in a two-part story in the Ka-Zar story in Astonishing Tales, which takes place shortly after the Man-Thing origin in Savage Tales #1 (and utilizes some Neal Adams story art apparently intended for ST #2). (This story also introduced Bobbie Morse, the SHIELD agent who would later become Mockingbird.)

I particularly loved the Tales Of The Zombie magazine and feature, an odd thing since I generally don't like the whole zombie thing at all. But Steve Gerber approached the series as he did with all his work, as a vehicle for social criticism and satire, which made the stories appealing.

And, on a personal note... my one and only LOC in any comic magazine was published in an issue of Vampire Tales. Good luck finding it though... they misspelled my name because they couldn't read my scrawl of a signature.

• Options
    A little overlooked gem during this period was the War Is Hell comic. Originally a reprint of old war stories (including a couple of issues of Sgt Fury And His Howling Commandos), the book shifted gear with its 9th issue and began a short-lived series about John Kowalski, a soldier who died a disgraceful death at the start of WWII, and whose spirit was forced by Death to die over and over again through the lives of other people throughout the war, while trying to earn some penance by helping those people to make some meaningful difference before they died. The series was created by Roy Thomas, Tony Isabella, Chris Claremont and Steve Gerber, scripted for the entire run by Claremont. They couldn't seem to latch on to a regular artist, though, and the series was drawn by several: Dick Ayers, Herb Trimpe, George Evans and Don Perlin. Kowalski returned a very few times over the years since then, including during an arc in the second volume of Man-Thing, written by Claremont.

• Options
    LOVED this episode -- brought back so many great memories, not just of the main titles (which I loved), but also some of the more obscure ones...

This episode drove me to purchase a digital copy of Back Issue #36 (from TwoMorrows), the "Monsters" issue -- the issue has everything from Morbius and Man-Thing to It, the Living Colossus...all mentioned on the episode.

Most importantly, there's a fun two-page article on the monster Power Records. I had ALL of those and played them to pieces.

I loved this quote from the article, after listing the litany of non-age-appropriate incidents in the comics:

"In just these four "children's records," we see three animals meet their bloody deaths, two women get slapped around, two innocent people get murdered, one man under severe psychological trauma, a suicidal clown, and two stories that end celebrating the Sweet Release of Death. Yep, it was the 1970s, all right."

Well, that explains so much about me and my childhood. ;)

You can listen to the Dracula one (and others) on this website right here

• Options
    Just wanted to pile on with some of the modern stuff.
    Back in 2007 - I think Marvel did a series of Monster one shots. Not must reads by any means but I grabbed the oversized hardcover at a con a few years back for $5 and certainly got my money's worth. Grab it if you see it cheap. The stories seem to set the characters up, but none of them go anywhere. When characters like Jack Russel, Santana, Morbius etc. pop up again there are no connections. I think there are also reprints of old Scarecrow stories (not great) and Manphibian (pretty good).

Also wanted to chime in about how good the Warren Ellis written Hellstorm was. Pretty edgey for a Marvel book, well worth tracking down. Leonard Manco's early Marvel stuff, great and gritty.

Also really enjoyed the Paul Jenkins/Leonard Manco Werewolf by Night series, sad it was cut down before it's time.