Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1435 Talkback: Spotlight on Marvel Monsters

Creatures on the loose! Monsters on the prowl! Just in time to be a week late for Halloween, Chris Eberle (in his first appearance as a fully accredited Geek!) shambles out of the hellish nether-realm of New Jersey to help us celebrate the supernatural superstars of Marvel Comics' character-driven horror titles, in the horror heyday of the '70s and beyond. Listen if you dare!! (2:09:17)

Get it here, and tell 'em Boris sent you. . .

Comments

• Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    404 File not found
  • Options
    Oh, this will be a fun topic! I'm not one for monster stories and such -- well, not usually -- but I loved the Marvel monster books! Looking forward to downloading and listening to this one.

And an official welcome to Chris Eberle from one of the fans!
  • Options
    Welcome Chris!
  • Options
    abuddah said:

404 File not found

Having the same problem.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Marvel monsters? Can't wait
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Why, oh why did I ever get rid of that copy of Marvel Monstermasterworks that I used to own? Loved all of that stuff... Fin Fang Foom! Tim Boo Ba! Other creatures with similarly tripled monosyllabic names! :D

All that 70s stuff is groovy, too, of course, but come on, the end twist for that Tim Boo Ba story ranks up there with any of the best of EC's endings, I think (not praise I offer lightly, either).
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Werewolf by Night was named Jack Russell?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I LOVE THAT!
  • Options
    GREAT EPISODE, BOYS!

I'm not a horror comics fan. This ep. made me want to hit the back issue bins and see what I can find.
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    This IS my wheelhouse! Can't wait to listen at work tomorrow:) I hope there's plenty of Ghost Rider love:) My favorite all time character:)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    rebis said:

Werewolf by Night was named Jack Russell?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I LOVE THAT!

Funny story. I was just talking about how much I loved that series as a kid and my girl looks as me dead pan and says,"like the terrier". And I blinked. I had missed it. Read that comic for years and never got the joke. In my 10 year old brain it was just the dudes name.

*sheepishly hangs head*

I'm so ashamed.

It is funny though. Bwahahahah!
  • Options
    Oh Hell Yeah! This was a cool episode. I'm down for any surprise spotlights like this in the future guys!
    Of the stuff you talked about, I've only read the Tomb of Dracula Essential and some Howard the Duck. I remember seeing ads for that Supernaturals series (the collab between Marvel and Chaos) in Wizard at the time and I really wanted to get it, but in my area I was limited to whatever I could get at convenience stores and grocery stores.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Tomb of Dracula book of the month episode

and one of the greatest moments in the history of comics podcasting interviews:
    Gene Colan on CGS
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I enjoyed it boys. It was a really fun episode.

Onto the Darkhold. So my main experience with the Darkhold was the terrible 90s series. For a book that starred Redeemers there is nothing redeeming about the series.

A spotlight on the 90s Ghostrider and the Midnight Sons line got me a little excited I'm not going to lie.

Also on a strange note, the Dr. Strange series was not part of the Midnight Sons line. It crossed into it in the last big crossover but it was actually outside of the line. I've always thought this was extremly odd because the tone, plot, and visual stylings fit with the line (I'm no Strange expert but that is from the little I've read from that series).

Great job to CGS.
  • Options
    Welcome Chris Eberle. Glad to have you.
  • Options
    Still can't download it! Started listening through streaming. Really look forward to listening to the rest. But I need to download it so I can listen to it on my car to and from work.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    2 questions: Is Chris Eberle on the forums?
    Is he as well versed with DC as he is Marvel because these spotlight episodes are very impressive (along with the other Geeks of course)?
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    If he's able to get them motivated enough to finish the abandoned Wonder Woman spotlights, I'd call that a plus.
  • Options
    Peter said:

If he's able to get them motivated enough to finish the abandoned Wonder Woman spotlights, I'd call that a plus.

Does EVERY comment have to be derogatory?
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Spectacular episode gentlemen. I used to (and still have) a lot of love for the old Marvel Monsters. Every time I see them in a current book somewhere I smile. And like several of you I had the old Power Records as well. To be honest, I think both the Werewolf and the Spider-Man with the Man-Wolf were the genesis of my current (yes, I'll admit it) fear of werewolves to this day. When Pants played that on an episode awhile back and the howl let loose, I literally got shivers and dropped the headphones from my head.

It was also great to hear you discuss Dracula's memorable appearances in the X-Men book, but you did forget his appearances (and my personal favorite of them) in the THOR title (issues #332 and #333). His seduction and enthrallment of Sif, and the subsequent awesome moment on the rooftops when both he and Thor are attempting to control the elements, and both fail because the storm doesn't know which master to obey. Pure gold.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Also on a strange note, the Dr. Strange series was not part of the Midnight Sons line. It crossed into it in the last big crossover but it was actually outside of the line. I've always thought this was extremly odd because the tone, plot, and visual stylings fit with the line (I'm no Strange expert but that is from the little I've read from that series).

Are you sure? I have a few Doctor Strange back issues from the mid-90's that are not part of the initial crossover arc, and they have the Midnight Sons tradedress.

• Options
    gothamkidgothamkid Posts: 42
    edited November 2013
    This may be a little off-topic but since Murd brought it up on the post:
    Whether or not the Exorcist would be to your tastes as a lover of great cinema who doesn't like horror films, really will depend on how you define horror and what you don't like the horror genre. I have seen the Exorcist and recognize it as a film classic of the 70's, but I have my struggles viewing it because of the many levels it works at.

@Adam_Murdough if you see this and are interested in taking the conversation further since this is maybe close to off-topic for the forum you can e-mail me at gothamkid@comcast.net or ping me on facebook as Trey Hooks from Franklin, TN.
  • Options
    For something more on topic,
    Daimon Hellstrom has appeared a couple of times in the Cullen Bunn Venom series as a protaganist.
    The Living Mummy, Manphibian, and Jack Russel had made appearances in the short-lived Morbius series.
    Prior to that, Rick Remender used them all as citizens of Monstropolis in the Franken-castle swerve that his Punisher run took.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    random73 said:

Peter said:

uhmmm.... I was simply responding to JDick's post right above it asking about if he was well versed in DC and connecting it to a DC Spotlight that was never finished. If you felt that was derogatory, you're bringing that guest to the party. :O)
  • Options
    Peter said:

random73 said:

Peter said:

uhmmm.... I was simply responding to JDick's post right above it asking about if he was well versed in DC and connecting it to a DC Spotlight that was never finished. If you felt that was derogatory, you're bringing that guest to the party. :O)
    The phrase

"If he's able to get them motivated enough to finish..."

doesn't in my opinion paint the other geeks in a flattering light. It makes them sound like some parent's slacker kids in the basement that don't want to mow the lawn. I think they are a hard working bunch of guys devoting their time to this and I hate to see them taken for granted or unappreciated.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Absolutely enjoyed this episode gentlemen!! The only thing that would've improved it is if you would've been able to complete it before Halloween, but oh well... Great character voice-work by @Adam_Murdough and yeoman's work by Mr. Eberle. Excellent music and sfx selections by @JamieD and I even sort of admired @ShaneKelly for jumping in occasionally from the sidelines while not being a knowledgeable bronze age horror fan, but still showing interest.

In my humble opinion, it's unfortunate that beyond many of the gems you guys mentioned tonight, most of the Marvel horror titles in the mid-seventies failed to live up to the potential that my mind's eye had imagined for them. Excluding Tomb of Dracula, and a few Man-Thing or Werewolf by Night issues, most of the horror protagonists never really caught fire with me (no pun intended to Ghost Rider). I continued to gravitate toward the bulk of DC's horror titles such as The Unexpected, The Witching Hour, House of Secrets, House of Mystery, etc - which were often VERY disturbing.

And while I'm much more of a Marvel fan than a DC guy, as a young lad I could get scared by standard hero fare where the star began to doubt his/her own sanity. There was something about losing one's mind that rattled me as a boy. So issues such as The Flash #254 - #256 where Barry Allen thinks he's going crazy and seeing demons both intrigued and frightened me. That's just one example.

Overall, a fun and VERY interesting episode. Spotlights are my overall favorites. I'll be perusing the back issue bins for one or two of those mentioned in this podcast. Really looking forward to your upcoming November Previews episode as well as the next Off the Rack and Comic Talk episodes, where I expect we'll hear much more from Shane and Jamie in those features :) Still hoping Murd climbs back into the Time Bubble sometime in the near future, as it's been a while...

Finally, a tip of my hat to Mr. Chris Eberle. If he is to be a full-time CGS member, as is being hinted at in this forum, I applaud the decision and welcome his wealth of comic goodness knowledge. His contributions to the CGS Spotlight episodes are unparalleled and appreciated. Another great show guys! Thank-you.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    gothamkid said:

Are you sure? I have a few Doctor Strange back issues from the mid-90's that are not part of the initial crossover arc, and they have the Midnight Sons tradedress.

I was just checking and you sir are correct.

He had 2 issues in the Siege of Darkness with the Midnight Sons (not part of the line up until then). Now I consider the Siege of Darkness as the end of the Midnight Sons (by the end of SoD, Darkhold is cancelled and the Midnight Sons disperse). However the branding continues for another 4-5 months after Siege of Darkness. The Sorcerer Supreme has the Midnight Sons branding for a total of 7 issues.

The Midnight Sons brand begins Spirits of Vengeance #1 and ends when SoV is cancelled (23 issues, Johnny Blaze was the main character that had teamups with Ghost Rider). SoV is replaced with a Blaze solo series that runs 12 issues.

Nightstalkers ends around the same time as SoV (18 issues). They split up and Blade gets a very fun and somewhat difficult to find 10 issue series.

Morbius the Living Vampire hangs on a little longer than SoV and Nightstalkers; it has a healthy 32 issue run. I can't say that the series was great, but it was the second longest series. Heck Morbius almost outlasted SoV, NS, and thier follow-up solo series.

The lone duck in the pond was the Ghost Rider (1990) series. It survived for another 4+ years after Siege of Darkness. We might all (myself included) roll our eyes at the Ghostrider (1990 series) but it ran for 93 issues (roughly 8 years). That's impressive.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Peter said:

random73 said:

Peter said:

The phrase

doesn't in my opinion paint the other geeks in a flattering light. It makes them sound like some parent's slacker kids in the basement that don't want to mow the lawn. I think they are a hard working bunch of guys devoting their time to this and I hate to see them taken for granted or unappreciated.
    I took this as a friend giving his buddies a bit of a jab. Nothing malicious here.
  • Options
    rebis said:

random73 said:

Peter said:

random73 said:

Peter said:

The phrase

I took this as a friend giving his buddies a bit of a jab. Nothing malicious here.
    ok. @rebis I'll let it go.