Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Luddite Wonders About Magic of Wireless

Okay, folks...

There are "early adopters" in this world, there are trend followers that sense when something is going to hit and go with it, there are bandwagon people that join the crowd, and there are people that have to be dragged, kicking and screaming to the next technological step.

I am of the "Kicking and Screaming" tribe.

There come moments, though, when I (yes, even *I*) recognize that I cannot stop the tide.

I have not switched over the the world of the wireless so far, but the time draws near. In truth, I have an old Kindle that has the 3G and the experimental browser, so I've seen the advantages of such a thing, but have avoided giving in.

I am seriously considering a tablet purchase now, so the time has probably come.

I have a DSL line at my house that I'm overall very happy with (despite AT&T calling every few weeks to try to convince me that it isn't, even though my internet is actually already through them). I'm not looking to upgrade at the moment.

The questions:

1.) Anyone have a recommendation for a simple but good wireless router? The less I have to interact with the technology, the better for all concerned.

2.) Is it possible to leave the main computer in the house hard-wired to the DSL line and still have the wireless, or will I have to get something to make the main desktop pc compatible with the wireless?

3.) Am I even asking the right questions?

4.) Why can't we just go back to the days when video games were in arcades, you wrote letters and sent them by mail, and I had a dayplanner in which I wrote things using a pen filled with ink?

I'm open to any knowledge out there. Don't worry about talking down to me in these things, for I am *just* above "caveman" when it comes to them.

Unga Bunga.

Comments

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I can answer question two for you.

Yes you can leave the main computer hard-wired but you will to connect it to the router instead of the modem.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Go to Walmart/Target/etc and spend around $100 on a router. A nice, middle of the road modern router should meet all your needs and be user friendly.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll take my club down to the local Walmart and have a look!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,621
    edited November 2013
    @EarthGBilly

As a fellow ludite might I recommend a router I bought? I asked a "nerd" (by asked I mean held him upside-down and shook him down for information and lunch money) (by nerd I mean my best friend), this is what he recommended and I've been happy with.

I got the N600

I was able to set it up and password protect it without help from my engineer brother or my computer guy friends. The signal is strong enough for me to watch Netflix and NBA League Pass in my backroom (through several plaster and brickwalls so besure to set a password). My previous router barely made to the kitchen.
  • Options
    @mwhitt80

Ooh, that looks simple enough for me to actually use, and it seems to have pretty good ratings!

And it is inexpensive! That really appeals to the skinflint in me!

Thanks for the advice. I think this is my frontrunner right now.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,621
    It was just an easy router to set up and it works. The big thing is to have it in an area where the heat can disperse easily. I've got mine hidden above the entertainment system in my living room