Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Dangling plot threads that just drive you crazy...

Back in '07 or so when Brad Meltzer was writing Justice League of America there was a thread developing that involved Geo-Force getting Terra's powers and struggling to control them. I was excited to see my boy Brion Markov running with the JLA and seeing where that story was going. Now, like the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop the world may never know...

What story threads have been dropped out there they you would have liked to see more of?

*This was brought to mind for me because I have been binging on Arrow lately and the earthquake device inventor from last season was named Brion Markov. I got excited at the reference.*

Comments

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    It's not just a plot thread but an entire series: Hickman and Weaver's S.H.I.E.L.D. There'd only be two issues left. I don't see why they just don't finish it up! IMO a lot of the value of the series (or at least Vol. 2) will be determined by how well the story concludes. Last I knew, they were still committed to finishing this, but then Infinity happened.

Also, I always found the Joe Chill stuff in Batman #673 to be excellent. One of my favorite single issues ever. I know we're in a new universe now, but I'd love to see some of the themes and ideas that Morrison touched on there be referenced or returned to by another Bat-writer.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    It would take me a week to list all the plot threads that ABC's LOST left to dangle.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    RickM said:

It would take me a week to list all the plot threads that ABC's LOST left to dangle.

I got time, go ahead... :D
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Not really a comic, but I'm still ticked about My Name is Earl ending on a cliffhanger.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Sopranos ending?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2013
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The Sopranos ending?

.... was genius.

At least, in my opinion.

And I don't think describing it this way is a spoiler. But, to me, to end a series that is about therapy by basically letting you project on a blank, was perfect. Basically, you were left to choose the ending you needed. Fantastic.

• Options
    I was thinking there would be more comic specific examples. Hawkman for example just before Flashpoint and the New52 had all of his (or at least most) continuity issues worked out and seemed to be in a good place to roll forward. but no.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Jack Kirby's output at DC consisted of several ambitious concepts, produced for a company with an itchy trigger finger, and thus massive loose ends. In a perfect world, a sympathetic writer would have taken over Kamandi and really explored that world. Same with the Fourth World stuff.
  • Options
    On these very forums, there was a person looking for a costume they could wear with their new child in tow.

I suggested that he go as Norman Osborn/the Green Goblin, and just get a little hospital bracelet for the baby that said "May Parker."

I said, "When people ask what you are, just say, 'A dangling plot thread!'"
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    RickM said:

Jack Kirby's output at DC consisted of several ambitious concepts, produced for a company with an itchy trigger finger, and thus massive loose ends. In a perfect world, a sympathetic writer would have taken over Kamandi and really explored that world. Same with the Fourth World stuff.

=D>

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited November 2013
    David_D said:

.... was genius.

At least, in my opinion.

And I don't think describing it this way is a spoiler. But, to me, to end a series that is about therapy by basically letting you project on a blank, was perfect. Basically, you were left to choose the ending you needed. Fantastic.

The only problem with the Soparonos ending was that it made everyone think the cable went out. However years afterward I think it was the right move; if there was an HBO logo on it people would have been way more hostile to it today (rather than momentarily upset with it at the moment). I think it's a great ending to the series also.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Who is Mockingbird?
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    I think I speak for many of us when I say "Spider-Baby".
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The Tick comic book.
  • Options
    Bondo said:

I think I speak for many of us when I say "Spider-Baby".

I have this crazy story in my head where the "Spider-Baby" is the way to reverse OMD.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Whatever happened to One-Eyed Willie, crew, treasure, & ship after it sailed out of that cave into the sunset.

M
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Actually, one of my favorite writers on Batman, Judd Winick, never revealed what became of that Amazo Batman & Nightwing chased after into Gotham's river. It was in the first part of his Under the Hood saga.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Actually, one of my favorite writers on Batman, Judd Winick, never revealed what became of that Amazo Batman & Nightwing chased after into Gotham's river. It was in the first part of his Under the Hood saga.

M

I like Winick, too. I think he is pretty underrated as a writer. I thought he had a pretty good handle on The Outsiders relationships particularly Roy and Dick.
  • Options
    It that Dreaming Celestial still standing in Golden Gate Park or did i just miss that resolution?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    random73 said:

It that Dreaming Celestial still standing in Golden Gate Park or did i just miss that resolution?

From what I understand it's still there..or at least should be.

EDIT: I did a little research and found that he/she/it was involved in an X-Men story I haven't read. Apparently the Dreaming Celestial battled a creature from another dimension, lost, and had it's "soul devoured." Supposedly it's dead and gone.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

The Sopranos ending?

.... was genius.

At least, in my opinion.

i wish we still had the dislike button...
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Mr_Cosmic said:

EDIT: I did a little research and found that he/she/it was involved in an X-Men story I haven't read. Apparently the Dreaming Celestial battled a creature from another dimension, lost, and had it's "soul devoured." Supposedly it's dead and gone.

I like the sound of that... which issues? I would like to see if I can find that.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hex said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I like the sound of that... which issues? I would like to see if I can find that.
    Age of Apocalypse #14..from earlier this year..part of the X-Termination crossover event.