Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Ran across superman the movie on cable a couple nights ago. Right at the scene where pa Kent is speaking with Clark about his place in the world etc. just before he dies. wow. havnt actually seen it in years (since superman returns came out i think). damn they made some fine films once upon a time.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited December 2013
    batlaw said:

Ran across superman the movie on cable a couple nights ago. Right at the scene where pa Kent is speaking with Clark about his place in the world etc. just before he dies. wow. havnt actually seen it in years (since superman returns came out i think). damn they made some fine films once upon a time.

Not to spoil the sequel, but Superman kills at the end...and no one seemed to cause a bugaboo about it.

So, this is what its like to be on THIS side of the Spider-man is better then ASM movie argument.

M
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Hey @Matt looks like sony is doing the same thing to ASM that pisses you off (rightly so) about MOS. Check this out.

http://www.slashfilm.com/andrew-garfield-on-the-amazing-spider-man-4-thats-not-anything-to-do-with-me/
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Matt said:

batlaw said:

Not to spoil the sequel, but Superman kills at the end...and no one seemed to cause a bugaboo about it.

So, this is what its like to be on THIS side of the Spider-man is better then ASM movie argument.

M
    Personally, the apparent killing didn't bother me then and doesn't bother me now. I have no idea though what other people were saying about it then. I was young and there was no internet. I know I liked the sequel and I still loved and looked up to superman afterwords.

What's the argument about SpiderMan?
    random73 said:

Hey @Matt looks like sony is doing the same thing to ASM that pisses you off (rightly so) about MOS. Check this out.

http://www.slashfilm.com/andrew-garfield-on-the-amazing-spider-man-4-thats-not-anything-to-do-with-me/

Interesting how they'll do a Spider-man 4 with potentially a new Spidey, but not when Raimi was involved with the series. I wonder if that's because Webb is 'Yes Man'?

Anyway, ASM pisses me off more than anything done with it. I really haven't cared for the new direction since the reboot was announced.

M

batlaw said:

Matt said:

batlaw said:

M
    Personally, the apparent killing didn't bother me then and doesn't bother me now. I have no idea though what other people were saying about it then. I was young and there was no internet. I know I liked the sequel and I still loved and looked up to superman afterwords.

Matt is annoyed the MOS sequel is being co-opted as a JLA movie and (if I'm putting words in your mouth here @Matt correct me) that Supes is being robbed of a true and proper sequel. The article I posted is about ASM not actually having a Spider-man but being set in the Spidey-verse. It is a similar sort of weirdness.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited December 2013
    random73 said:

Standard Hollywood Negotiation Tactic #1.

EDIT: Didn't scroll past the ad.

Standard Hollywood Negotiation Tactic #1 With a Twist.
    random73 said:

batlaw said:

Matt said:

batlaw said:

M

Matt is annoyed the MOS sequel is being co-opted as a JLA movie and (if I'm putting words in your mouth here @Matt correct me) that Supes is being robbed of a true and proper sequel. The article I posted is about ASM not actually having a Spider-man but being set in the Spidey-verse. It is a similar sort of weirdness.
    IF that were to happen (which I cannot see), it would be like AoS promoting itself as something other then a procedural show with a comic wrapping. It's like what they tried to do with Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. No one gave a shit about the witches, it was all about Michael Myers for the series!

M
    Three more days to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween!
    Three more days to Halloween!
    Silver Shamrock!

(Naturally, my favorite of the bunch)
    (The cult responsible for the masks is the same cult that kidnapped [and broke] Michael as a baby).
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    Personally, I didn't think it would take 17 pages of discussion before Halloween 3 got mentioned. Finally!

(Actually, I would say it is the deep pull of the day)
    random73 said:

Silver Shamrock!

(The cult responsible for the masks is the same cult that kidnapped [and broke] Michael as a baby).

Over the original? I don't know if I can respond to anymore of your comments.

M
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Silver Shamrock!

M
    :D
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Silver Shamrock!

M
    I wonder sometimes if you ever get tired of being wrong all the time. I don't know how you do it.

Jk JK.

I don't know. We're just different folks. I personally think western civilization peaked with Adam and the Ants (note: that does NOT say Adam Ant). *shrugs* I like what i like and i'm not apologizing for it.

Flash Gordon is a masterpiece.
    American Werewolf in London is still the best werewolf movie out there.
    C-list heroes are the best
    Batman doesn't need kevlar
    Superman is creepy when he doesn't act like a big blue boy-scout.
    StL style thin crust pizza is the best
    Ribs need to have sauce on them
    Tolkien bores the hell out of me.
    I'm going to see Hobbit opening night because it makes my girl happy.
    Dick Grayson is better as Nightwing than as Robin.
    I hate Grant Morrison's writing.
    I like Mark Waid's Writing
    My favorite band is the Ramones
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Silver Shamrock!

M
    I wonder sometimes if you ever get tired of being wrong all the time. I don't know how you do it.

Jk JK.

I don't know. We're just different folks. I personally think western civilization peaked with Adam and the Ants (note: that does NOT say Adam Ant). *shrugs* I like what i like and i'm not apologizing for it.

I guess when I start being wrong, I'll let you know if its tiring (note no other Halloween had the witch theme) ;)

M
    random73 said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Silver Shamrock!

M

Jk JK.

Not bad
    Never saw
    Is Moon Knight a C-lister
    I'd like to see him survive
    Not exactly those times in society to not be viewed as naive
    No real preference as long as its Hawaiian or meat covered
    And should be eaten with a knife & fork, not like a savage
    I've heard he's dreadfully detailed
    Squeezing 3 movies out it turns me away
    Yes, and never Batman
    90% is pompous & just to 'make a statement'
    He's good
    Band wise: AC/DC, solo artist: Sarah McLachlan (Possession is deeply disturbing if you know the origin)
    I also think the Beatles are greatly overrated

M
    @Matt you've read 90% of Morrison's work?

Or is it just that the Wikipedia descriptions are pompous? ;)
    David_D said:

Let me rephrase for you:

"90% of what I read* of his work is pompous"

M

*those are direct reads, and not even his Batman run
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Let me rephrase for you:

"90% of what I read* of his work is pompous"

M

*those are direct reads, and not even his Batman run
    Fair enough.

I know you are a stickler for accuracy!
  • Matt said:

M

I'll fight you on that one...

• Matt said:

M

And I’ve got your back. :D

Matt said:

M

I have yet to hear exactly why they're this "amazing band." On my list of Top 100 bands, they'd be close to the last 1/4.

M
  • Matt said:

Matt said:

M

I have yet to hear exactly why they're this "amazing band." On my list of Top 100 bands, they'd be close to the last 1/4.

M
    It's all about what music was like before the Beatles, and what music was like after the Beatles. Whoever is in your Top 100, the Beatles probably either influenced them directly, or influenced their influences.
    edited December 2013

Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M
    It's all about what music was like before the Beatles, and what music was like after the Beatles. Whoever is in your Top 100, the Beatles probably either influenced them directly, or influenced their influences.
    Yeah, I don't quite buy that. Would I have to like 1 actor or comedian because he influenced someone I like?
    So I have to like A because I like B?

My iPod has over 2000 songs; 3 Beatles songs at most. I never really dug their music. I've never read anything that my favorite band, AC/DC, was influenced by the Beatles. I recall reading Michael Stipe (of REM) one time stated the Beatles didn't mean a fucking thing to him. I just cannot see them as having the 'secret recipe' for music.

I have a theory there's a lot of people who agree with me, but just conform with the masses about the group.

M
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited December 2013
    Edited. Eric's post below says it much better.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    edited December 2013
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Yeah, I don't quite buy that. Would I have to like 1 actor or comedian because he influenced someone I like?

My iPod has over 2000 songs; 3 Beatles songs at most. I never really dug their music. I've never read anything that my favorite band, AC/DC, was influenced by the Beatles. I recall reading Michael Stipe (of REM) one time stated the Beatles didn't mean a fucking thing to him. I just cannot see them as having the 'secret recipe' for music.

I have a theory there's a lot of people who agree with me, but just conform with the masses about the group.

M
    There is a big difference between not liking a band and saying they're overrated. One is stating a personal preference, and the other is assuming everyone else’s opinion is invalid.

AC/DC and the Beatles share a lot of the same influences—Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and the old blues artists mainly, but, yeah, there's not a strong tie beyond that really. But while Michael Stipe was more into the proto-punk bands (some of whom were influenced by the Beatles), Mike Mills was heavily influenced by Paul McCartney's bass playing. So, yes, R.E.M. was influenced by the Beatles.

As for having the “secret recipe,” their recipe wasn’t all that secret, but it was pretty much impossible to duplicate. That’s what made them stand out from all their imitators and everyone else. That being said, there is no one recipe for musical brilliance but rather hundreds. AC/DC has a very simple recipe. They’re very much a “what you hear is what you get” type of band. But they’re one of the best at making that particular recipe. (Personally, I like the Cult’s version of that recipe a little bit better, which is funny since the two bands basically swapped drummers at one point).

Please keep in mind that I’m not arguing that you should like the Beatles, or that they are indisputably the greatest band ever. My iPod has over 2000 songs as well, and at the moment only about 20 Beatles songs. I'm not always in the mood to listen to the Beatles, but I do still consider them one of the greatest bands of all time, not only for their songs, but because they changed the way people thought about music.

Poor Supes. Now his thread’s been taken over by a British pop band. The guy just can't catch a break.
  • Peter said:

Edited. Eric's post below says it much better.

Sorry I didn't get to see what you wrote, Peter. Now you've got me curious.

• And, Matt, if you need me to go all music nerd on you and talk about their lyrics and their melodies and harmonies and the genius of their chord progressions and the intricacies within their layers of sound... I can do that too, but it will take a lot longer to write. ;)
  • I remember a co-worker telling me back in the 80's that he didn't like the Beatles, that he couldn't understand why everybody made such a big deal about them, and how he thought Ted Nugent was a much better musician and songwriter.

I stopped talking with him about music.
    edited December 2013

I remember a co-worker telling me back in the 80's that he didn't like the Beatles, that he couldn't understand why everybody made such a big deal about them, and how he thought Ted Nugent was a much better musician and songwriter.

I stopped talking with him about music.

I wouldn't go that far. Ted Nugent?

You're right I should alter my post from the disliking to my original premise of overrated.

Perhaps I cannot properly illustrate why they're overrated, aside from hearing about how 'amazing' they are from so many people. Much like when I hear people swoon about LeBron, Sydney Crosby, & Joe Paterno, I roll my eyes when I get told about the Beatles.

I could understand hearing that they changed the music landscape by someone who live through it or is a music aficionado, but hearing people my age and younger sounds like the Kool aid was past around. I've only known music past the group's time. Sure I've listened to the music from the same time and before, but I don't hear anything that would make me go "this...THIS is where music really started."

M

Matt said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M

M
    There is a big difference between not liking a band and saying they're overrated. One is stating a personal preference, and the other is assuming everyone else’s opinion is invalid.

AC/DC and the Beatles share a lot of the same influences—Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and the old blues artists mainly, but, yeah, there's not a strong tie beyond that really. But while Michael Stipe was more into the proto-punk bands (some of whom were influenced by the Beatles), Mike Mills was heavily influenced by Paul McCartney's bass playing. So, yes, R.E.M. was influenced by the Beatles.

As for having the “secret recipe,” their recipe wasn’t all that secret, but it was pretty much impossible to duplicate. That’s what made them stand out from all their imitators and everyone else. That being said, there is no one recipe for musical brilliance but rather hundreds. AC/DC has a very simple recipe. They’re very much a “what you hear is what you get” type of band. But they’re one of the best at making that particular recipe. (Personally, I like the Cult’s version of that recipe a little bit better, which is funny since the two bands basically swapped drummers at one point).

Please keep in mind that I’m not arguing that you should like the Beatles, or that they are indisputably the greatest band ever. My iPod has over 2000 songs as well, and at the moment only about 20 Beatles songs. I'm not always in the mood to listen to the Beatles, but I do still consider them one of the greatest bands of all time, not only for their songs, but because they changed the way people thought about music.

Poor Supes. Now his thread’s been taken over by a British pop band. The guy just can't catch a break.
    Someday we will talk about something @nweathington knows nothing about.

Someday.