Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Blathering About The Beatles

WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
Favorite Pre-Rubber Soul Beatles Song: "What You're Doing"

One of Ringo's best drumming performances.
Incredible jangly guitar sound (hugely-influential on The Byrds).
Really cool piano underhook by George Martin.
Rhyming "Doing" with "Blue and".

Comments

• Options
    What other band could have a song about burning down a girl's apartment because she didn't come across?
  • Options
    Ringo suggested naming the album eventually called "Revolver" "After Geography", as a reference to the Rolling Stones' "Aftermath".
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'd probably go with either "I Saw Her Standing There" or "Ticket to Ride".

I tend to associated memories with music more than anything else. In the case of both of these songs, I have a strong association with reruns of the Beatles cartoons and a huge sense of nostalgia, comfort and well-being.

Hardly the same as the analysis that you've offered above.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I tell people that my sister Michelle was named after the song. My mom says she wasn't, my dad just smiles about it.

Pre-Rubber Soul Favorite: I really "I Feel Fine" because I love that opening, "What You're Doing" is a very close second

My absolute favorite songs are still the ones I bugged my dad to play over and over again when I was a kid; Yellow Submarine, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Octopus's Garden and Michelle.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    When I was a boy Ringo was my favorite due to his character on film, he was the funny one then, as a youth it was John he was a role model, Paul I "discovered" because it was one of my early concert experiences and I liked the Wings quite a bit. As an old fart I admire and "understand" what George was all about. In short the Beatles have always been part of my existence.

And now I'll go back to reading that splendid "Fifth Beatle" B-)
  • Options
    oh - and in the end its definitely like this for me: Beatles > Rolling Stones
  • Options

When I was a boy Ringo was my favorite due to his character on film, he was the funny one then, as a youth it was John he was a role model, Paul I "discovered" because it was one of my early concert experiences and I liked the Wings quite a bit. As an old fart I admire and "understand" what George was all about. In short the Beatles have always been part of my existence.

And now I'll go back to reading that splendid "Fifth Beatle" B-)

I was always a Paul guy until I saw the "Let It Be" film.

I finally got John.

Two days later, he was dead.
  • Options
    I still remember the day John died. Only a few days prior I bought "Double Fantasy". That album was on heavy rotation at my place. To this day I tend to get teary-eyed listening to "Woman".
  • Options
    Greg said:

My absolute favorite songs are still the ones I bugged my dad to play over and over again when I was a kid; Yellow Submarine, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Octopus's Garden and Michelle.

Two psychedelic fantasies, a sad love song and a happy murder song.

And people ask why I love The Beatles.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I remember when John died, at eight years old, it was too big for me grasp. I didn't understand what was going on and why my dad was just sitting by the stereo crying.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    "Things we said today". One of the first folk rock songs before the term existed. Lyrically quite sophisticated for a 22 year old Paul Mccartney. John Lennon has stated that this was one of his favourite Mccartney compositions. One of mine too.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Did a mock trial for Chapman in an enrichment class when I was in school (5th grade). I was lead prosecution and landed a slam dunk conviction. Shockingly, there was a high number of kids in the room that had no idea who he was. Much of my case was built around actually using Lennon's music and lyrics to demonstrate that, in addition to the taking of a human life, that the case was also about the loss of an artistic icon.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Lets all go to the Man of Steel thread and talk about the Beatles where they're meant to be talked about.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Lets all go to the Man of Steel thread and talk about the Beatles where they're meant to be talked about.

=))
  • Options
    WetRats said:

What other band could have a song about burning down a girl's apartment because she didn't come across?

The Barenaked Ladies.

Just saying.
  • Options
    I started playing the guitar when I was 15. My guitar teacher was an older guy who lived a block away. He’d played on local live radio programs back in the ’50s and early ’60s. He’d even met the Inkspots backstage at an event.

The first songs I learned, the songs I learned to play guitar with, were those pre-Rubber Soul Beatles hits. I think my favorite to play was “Do You Want to Know a Secret,” so I’ll go with that as my choice.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Greg said:

Two psychedelic fantasies, a sad love song and a happy murder song.

And people ask why I love The Beatles.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

WetRats said:

The Barenaked Ladies.

Just saying.
    Allegedly The Old Apartment is about a couple breaking back into the place they lived in their younger, more care-free days, but the lyrics do not sound that way at all, do they? It's totally a dude breaking into the apartment he used to share with a girl where she still happens to live. Always kinda wondered if one of the BNL guys did that and then made up the story about the couple to cover his tracks so it didn't look like an admission.
  • Options

WetRats said:

The Barenaked Ladies.

Just saying.
    Really? Unfamiliar with it.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    For favorite pre-Rubber Soul songs, it's hard to go wrong with A Hard Day's Night (grabs you from that opening chord), Ticket to Ride, I've Just Seen a Face.

Favorites overall (in no real order): Here Comes the Sun, Lovely Rita, Yellow Submarine, Octopus's Garden (hey, I like Ringo), Eleanor Rigby, Drive My Car, Nowhere Man, Paperback Writer, The Word, Run For Your Life, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, all of the ones I mentioned above... and I could go on and on.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's why I used the pre-Rubber Soul qualifier. Starting with Rubber Soul, there are so many gems it's nigh-impossible to choose. It's like Smaug's hoard without the Arkenstone.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

The Barenaked Ladies.

Just saying.
    As @LibraryBoy said, it’s not exactly about burning down a girl's apartment, etc., but they could certainly write that song.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    WetRats said:

="nweathington">
    WetRats said:

The Barenaked Ladies.

Just saying.

Not that BNL should be in same breath as The Beatles but Old Apartment is a f**king great song.
  • Options

For favorite pre-Rubber Soul songs, it's hard to go wrong with A Hard Day's Night (grabs you from that opening chord), Ticket to Ride, I've Just Seen a Face.

If anyone reading this has not heard this, you must do so now.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Greg said:

I remember when John died, at eight years old, it was too big for me grasp. I didn't understand what was going on and why my dad was just sitting by the stereo crying.

I have that memory, too- I think I was four or five, but I remember trying g to wrap my head around my dad being sad about someone dying who was not family or a friend, but was still important to him.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

WetRats said:

The Barenaked Ladies.

Just saying.
    Johnny Cash.
  • Options
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

The Barenaked Ladies.

Just saying.
    Johnny Cash.
    No, he might sing about killing a girl for cheating on him, but he would never be so crass as to kill a girl in song for not doing the deed.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Greg said:

I have that memory, too- I think I was four or five, but I remember trying g to wrap my head around my dad being sad about someone dying who was not family or a friend, but was still important to him.
    I was in fifth grade at the time. One of my good friends from childhood was all into the Beatles. She sat behind me in English class, and I remember talking with her about it, and her crying, the morning after it happened. I remember some television news footage too, but it's a lot more vague.

I don’t remember exactly what either of us said, but talking with her is what stands out to me. I haven’t seen her in 22 years, but I’ll never forget her face because of that moment.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Its interesting to know people were crying when they heard Lennon was murdered. It made me realize how much I don't have a connection with celebrities. I recall being said when I recently heard Paul Walker died, but that was because I knew he had a daughter & felt bad for her. I can't say I got anymore emotional then "Oh man, that sucks." It's the same reaction I'd give if my wife told me 1 of her coworkers I met 3 times died.

And to be honest, I don't get invested too much in the daily lives of celebrities either. Their relationships, marriages, divorces, births, mansions, addictions, or struggles growing up. Truthfully, if you're putting out interesting entertainment I really don't give a shit about how the events in your life have no baring on my own.

M
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Thinking back, I really do not recall listening, really listening to the Beatles until my teens. I don't believe my parents owned any 8-tracks, records, or tapes (I know they don't have any CDs) because I can't recall listening to the music growing up like I can other music. I vaguely recall only hearing their music when my mom would be listening to Oldies radio station.

I think I was a freshman or sophomore when our chorus class sang a collection of songs by the group that I really 'heard' the music. Definitely when that unreleased, remastered song was released in the mid-90s can I actually confirm I heard their music.

M