Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Your Favorite Bad/Obscure Comics/Comic Characters

Comments

• Options
    azraelazrael Posts: 46
    edited December 2013

fun fact, while looking at The Scorpion on wikipedia, and being directed to his Wiki page. I spotted something about this cover. Notice the card behind, Dominic...

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    since we're discussing Atlas Comics
    It was your basic origin issue, but I remember it being very good.
  • Options
    rebis said:

since we're discussing Atlas Comics
    It was your basic origin issue, but I remember it being very good.

Is that Peter Parker in his wrestling mask holding that lady? :P

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Hex said:

Who could forget The Fallen Angels!

I just picked up the Premiere HC of this on the cheap. Never read it. Looks like I'm in for a treat! :)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I've been going through my collection I've been reading comic that I don't remember reading and comics that I didn't think were good at the time. Some of it isn't as bad as I remember it being, some of it is.

Closest thing to a favorite is Lady Death, yeah it's a blatant T & A book, but if you can get past that, for dark/horror fantasy it's not bad.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Torchsong said:

I just picked up the Premiere HC of this on the cheap. Never read it. Looks like I'm in for a treat! :)

You can never go wrong with anything involving Devil Dinosaur... not to mention the cyborg enhanced lobsters. Hope you enjoy it!
  • Options
    I do remember very much enjoying Slingers, particularly the Chris Cross artwork.

I always get a kick out of seeing one of the Slingers pop-up occasionally.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I do remember very much enjoying Slingers, particularly the Chris Cross artwork.

I got the complete run for my birthday one year. Still haven't read it
  • Options
    Hex said:

i loved the idea of "The Slingers" but never got into it. The different personas are very cool though.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

One of my favorites.

If you have not read it pick up the Essential and give yourself plenty of time to read those stores. They are a true representation of 70's comics....wordy
  • Options
    Webhead said:

One of my favorites.

If you have not read it pick up the Essential and give yourself plenty of time to read those stores. They are a true representation of 70's comics....wordy

'Wordy' isn't necessarily a bad thing. What this was, was a true representation of Don McGregor, who seemed to think he was writing a prose novel with each issue, and whose work verged on the pretentious. I didn't read as much of his Killraven series, but I did read some of his Black Panther and I was reading his stint on Power Man. His work was pretty well received for awhile, but I believe he was losing readers towards the end. He didn't heed warnings from higher-ups to make changes to bring back those readers and he was eventually fired. (According to Marvel Comics: The Untold Story.)
  • Options

Webhead said:

One of my favorites.

'Wordy' isn't necessarily a bad thing. What this was, was a true representation of Don McGregor, who seemed to think he was writing a prose novel with each issue, and whose work verged on the pretentious. I didn't read as much of his Killraven series, but I did read some of his Black Panther and I was reading his stint on Power Man. His work was pretty well received for awhile, but I believe he was losing readers towards the end. He didn't heed warnings from higher-ups to make changes to bring back those readers and he was eventually fired. (According to Marvel Comics: The Untold Story.)
    The Black Panther Masterwork has a lot of detail on what happened on that series...Don wanted to do stories about a BLACK hero, and Marvel was nervous about it, first wanting him to take the character out of Africa and then to put in a lot of white characters. When he brought the Panther to the US, he had him fight the Klan, which some people at Marvel were upset about...and Don's answer was, "You TOLD me to put white people in the book!"

He says the main reason he was let go was that he was terrible on meeting deadlines, and the books he wrote didn't sell well enough on newsstands. He has also stated quite often that his Killraven graphic novel outsold every other book in that Marvel Graphic Novel line, including the X-Men one once you factored in international sales, and he's really got no reason to lie about that.
  • Options

Webhead said:

One of my favorites.

I agree with the description that it seemed at times like a prose novel but I enjoyed it for what it was. I did not mean "wordy" as a bad thing more of a description to people who are only familiar with today's style of comics. Reading one of these stories could easily take two to three times as long.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Webhead said:

Webhead said:

One of my favorites.

I agree with the description that it seemed at times like a prose novel but I enjoyed it for what it was. I did not mean "wordy" as a bad thing more of a description to people who are only familiar with today's style of comics. Reading one of these stories could easily take two to three times as long.
    I think that tends to be a convention of comics from that era in general.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Webhead said:

Webhead said:

One of my favorites.

It was, but McGregor was exceptionally so, tending more towards purple prose than most of the the others.

• Options

random73 said:

Webhead said:

Webhead said:

One of my favorites.

It was, but McGregor was exceptionally so, tending more towards purple prose than most of the the others.

Don's stuff reminds me a lot of John D MacDonald's "Travis McGee" books, where he would take off from a plot point to dive philosophy, history, random thoughts, etc. The one I remember most was where Luke Cage pulled a car's door off its hinges to protect people from gunfire, and the text talked about the downfall of American car making. I loved it, but can see why some people don't.

Still, I love the man's writing, and I still get to find a short story here or there that I didn't know about in the Marvel black and white mags, or the Warren mags.
  • Options
    Loners, anyone?
  • Options

Loners, anyone?

These Loners?

Absolutely. Wish it kept going, with a rotating cast of forgotten characters.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I've never heard of that but it sounds awesome.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    azrael said:

Hex said:

i loved the idea of "The Slingers" but never got into it. The different personas are very cool though.
    Damn Wolverine for killing Hornet.
  • Options
    I am reading through a lot of Marvel's black and white mags of the 70's and came across Hodiah Twist. Don McGregor created him, a crazy old man who lost everything in the depression who now thinks he is Sherlock Holmes, fighting vampires. Weird, twisted and Too Much Fun!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'm going to offer up Doctor Zero from Marvel's Shadowline Saga. I absolutely loved that little cluster of books.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

I am reading through a lot of Marvel's black and white mags of the 70's and came across Hodiah Twist. Don McGregor created him, a crazy old man who lost everything in the depression who now thinks he is Sherlock Holmes, fighting vampires. Weird, twisted and Too Much Fun!

That sounds like great fun. Kind of a depression era Don Quixote.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Loners, anyone?

These Loners?

Absolutely. Wish it kept going, with a rotating cast of forgotten characters.
    Yeah, I meant to ask CB why there was never more (sales, his busy schedule, etc.) I was hoping the character of the doctor who treated Julie would get a spinoff...
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Webhead said:

awesome cover :-bd
    - tell me more
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    awesome cover :-bd
    - tell me more

It's been awhile since I last read it so I'll will try to explain it.

Timespirits was an limited series by Epic that came out in the 80's. The two main characters are native americans the young one is pulled directly from the 1800's and the older one is a shaman but he is more modern in the way he acts and talks and has loves Jimi Hendrix. They travel to different times and planets, and James Cameron ripped it off for Avaitar.

• Options
    Webhead said:

Timespirits was an limited series by Epic that came out in the 80's. The two main characters are native americans the young one is pulled directly from the 1800's and the older one is a shaman but he is more modern in the way he acts and talks and has loves Jimi Hendrix. They travel to different times and planets, and James Cameron ripped it off for Avaitar.

I can honestly say I have NEVER EVER heard of it. Looks so bazaar that it must me awesome. How easy is this to find? Has it ever been collected into a trade?
  • Options
    Hex said:

Webhead said:

I can honestly say I have NEVER EVER heard of it. Looks so bazaar that it must me awesome. How easy is this to find? Has it ever been collected into a trade?
    I have never seen any trades for it but I do not think it would cost too much for the issues, the problem I see is availability.