Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Advocating the A-Team

As this series, which I had always considered disposable drivel, has turned out to have been the inspiration to make our @Matt the man he is today, clearly the show has depths of which I was previously unaware.

Here, therefore, is a brand-spanking new thread for the exploration and glorification of said depths.

Knock yourself out, lads.

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    It was one of those shows that came out at the right time for me being the right age to enjoy it.

Hannibal - George Peppard...no self-respecting lad my age knew him from Breakfast at Tiffany's. And if you did, you kept your trap shut because it'd get your ass kicked if you did. Rarely do I light up a stogie without paying tribute to the man by clenching it between my teeth and talking about how I love it when a plan comes together.

Howlin' Mad Murdock - comic relief. Pure and simple. Nowadays you'd get in trouble for making fun of veterans with mental disabilities. God Bless the 80s.

Faceman - it's frickin' STARBUCK, people! The original one!

BA Baracus - it's MR. T! The greatest actor of our generation? Doubt my words? Go watch Rocky 3...he was overlooked at the Oscars. I quote Clubber Lang lines to people at least once a week.

Amy - Alas, she was only with them for two seasons, but she was still a cutie. Particularly in the second season where she started showing a little leg.

Were I older in the early 80s, I would likely have seen it for what it was - but it hit right at the point in my life where I was willing to believe anything the television told me. :)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    George Peppards stuntmans wig was the worst :))
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    And nobody ever got shot.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Mr_Cosmic said:

And nobody ever got shot.

Not accurate; BA & Murdock definitely did (they have the same blood type, which was noted in the eps). I'm 90% certain Hannibal did as well.

M
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    The A-Team goes in the pantheon of value setters for me, along with Knight Rider, MacGyver, & recently Burn Notice. More so The A-Team & Burn Notice. These shows featured characters with personal plights, but still taking time to help others. Most times for 'the little guy.'

Growing up, I was all about Murdock. He was hilarious. Rewatching now, he kind of gets on my nerves. I've grown to admire Hannibal the most. Always a plan, witty remark, & a grin punctuated with a cigar.

The series got a crappy finale, but when they found out the Presidential pardons were near, they started discussing what they were really qualified to do. They realized the only thing they were qualified to do was the same thing they have been doing since their escape from the military stockade.

When my buddies & I signed up for the Armed Forces after high school, each picking a different branch, we agreed if we got drafted & survived, we'd form an A-Team to help people.

The opening theme was the music Meg & I used as we entered our wedding reception. It was one of the few non-negotiable things I wanted.

In case you ever wondered if they got pardoned:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-military-clears-ateam-of-charges,1204/

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

The opening theme was the music Meg & I used as we entered our wedding reception. It was one of the few non-negotiable things I wanted.

Wow.

Just wow.

The following picture has now been trumped.

• Options

As a kid who didn't have cable, ever saw a PPV and was too young to see Rocky III... This moment was the greatest television moment I had ever seen.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

It was one of those shows that came out at the right time for me being the right age to enjoy it.

And I was apparently too old.

I watched the pilot, thought it ridiculous, and never to this day have seen another entire episode.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

And I was apparently too old.

I watched the pilot, thought it ridiculous, and never to this day have seen another entire episode.
    There is a level of ridiculousness to the series. If the camp of the 60s Batman series doesn't bother you, this series is gravy. They're are some extremely great episodes, one of which would not be the pilot; which has a different Face.

You can download episodes from iTunes for about $2-3 each. I would say 3 great episodes from season 1 are 'The Children of Jamestown', 'Holiday in the Hills,' & 'Nice Place to Visit.' IF you watch them & still feel the way you do, I'll reimburse you.

M
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Hannibal - George Peppard...no self-respecting lad my age knew him from Breakfast at Tiffany's. And if you did, you kept your trap shut because it'd get your ass kicked if you did. Rarely do I light up a stogie without paying tribute to the man by clenching it between my teeth and talking about how I love it when a plan comes together.

Howlin' Mad Murdock - comic relief. Pure and simple. Nowadays you'd get in trouble for making fun of veterans with mental disabilities. God Bless the 80s.

Faceman - it's frickin' STARBUCK, people! The original one!

BA Baracus - it's MR. T! The greatest actor of our generation? Doubt my words? Go watch Rocky 3...he was overlooked at the Oscars. I quote Clubber Lang lines to people at least once a week.

Amy - Alas, she was only with them for two seasons, but she was still a cutie. Particularly in the second season where she started showing a little leg.

Were I older in the early 80s, I would likely have seen it for what it was - but it hit right at the point in my life where I was willing to believe anything the television told me. :)

I actually preferred Tawnia Baker to Amy. She seemed more feminine; she reminds me of Carmen Electra. Amy looked less attractive the shorter her hair got.

I do think its interesting when the Ninja Turtles cartoon made April a reporter, she looked a lot like Amy Amanda Allen.

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    ...a maximum security prison...from which they promptly escaped. ?!?!? [-(
    probably with a cabbage throwing machine. :D
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited December 2013
    What's everyone's thoughts on MacGyver vs the A-Team. I have all 7 seasons and the TV movies of MacGyver on DVD and only the first 2 seasons of the A-Team (and the first season is only half watched all these years later) so I know where I stand. But from what I remember there was quite the rivalry between the two shows back in the day.

Just wanted to add that I loved both immensely as a child.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

What's everyone's thoughts on MacGyver vs the A-Team. I have all 7 seasons and the TV movies of MacGyver on DVD and only the first 2 seasons of the A-Team (and the first season is only half watched all these years later) so I know where I stand. But from what I remember there was quite the rivalry between the two shows back in the day.

They really only had 2 crossover years (most A-Team purists discount the final season). MacGyver started in '85 & the A-Team ended in '87. They're similar shows, each which their own merits.

The A-Team were wanted fugitives who used their military tactics to help their clients.

MacGyver worked for a think tank & mostly got assignments to work. He used his vast knowledge of science to help his missions.

The final season of the A-Team was more like Mission: Impossible. The last couple seasons of MacGyver had a lot of environmental & social messages. They also lost the voice overs.

MacGyver is why I've carried a pocket knife for almost 20 years on a daily basis.

Sidebar: my groomsmen each got an A-Team t-shirt, roll of duct tape, & a Swiss Army knife; each initialed & a different color.

Between the 2...I'd probably choose the A-Team. The environmental & social message episodes, along with dropping the voice overs, of MacGyver kind of turns me away in the long run. Though MacGyver was virtually no camp...well unless Jack Dalton was around!

M
  • Options
    B.A. should wear kevlar... :-\"
  • Options
    random73 said:

B.A. should wear kevlar... :-\"

You don't need Kevlar when you're wearing THAT much gold!

M
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited December 2013
    Matt said:

They really only had 2 crossover years (most A-Team purists discount the final season). MacGyver started in '85 & the A-Team ended in '87. They're similar shows, each which their own merits.

The A-Team were wanted fugitives who used their military tactics to help their clients.

MacGyver worked for a think tank & mostly got assignments to work. He used his vast knowledge of science to help his missions.

The final season of the A-Team was more like Mission: Impossible. The last couple seasons of MacGyver had a lot of environmental & social messages. They also lost the voice overs.

MacGyver is why I've carried a pocket knife for almost 20 years on a daily basis.

Sidebar: my groomsmen each got an A-Team t-shirt, roll of duct tape, & a Swiss Army knife; each initialed & a different color.

Between the 2...I'd probably choose the A-Team. The environmental & social message episodes, along with dropping the voice overs, of MacGyver kind of turns me away in the long run. Though MacGyver was virtually no camp...well unless Jack Dalton was around!

M
    The last 2 seasons of MacGyver are on the rough side. Once he got involved in that youth center it wasn't about having fun anymore. But it had one of the best recurring characters rosters ever. Nearly every episode with Jack Dalton, Penny Parker, or the Coltons is amazing.

That said, A-Team Van > Mac's Jeep.
  • Options

Matt said:

M
    The last 2 seasons of MacGyver are on the rough side. Once he got involved in that youth center it wasn't about having fun anymore. But it had one of the best recurring characters rosters ever. Nearly every episode with Jack Dalton, Penny Parker, or the Coltons is amazing.

That said, A-Team Van > Mac's Jeep.
    Even though I liked Decker (less goofy then Lynch), MacGyver had a better arch-nemesis: Murdoc.

M
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Now i am inspired to get out my A Team dvds and waste the entire weekend.

What is everyone's opinion about the A Team movie? For me, It was no where near as good as the TV show, but it was a very good film - probably the best movie adaptation from a tv show out there. ( i know the bar is set pretty low for that)
  • Options

What is everyone's opinion about the A Team movie? For me, It was no where near as good as the TV show, but it was a very good film - probably the best movie adaptation from a tv show out there. ( i know the bar is set pretty low for that)

I loved the movie. It wasn't the show, but it couldn't have been the show. I describe the series as 70% camp, 30% action. I think the movie is the the opposite. The heart of the series was there (the extended edition is even better), further illustrating some of the qualities of each character.

I liked what Liam Neeson did with Hannibal. It wasn't an imitation, but an amalgam with his own style.

These types of movies are hard to do. You can make an attempt to imitate the original series, you can do your own thing (Dukes of Hazzard did this; Bo & Luke weren't written in the voices of the characters, but rather the actors), or you can incorporate the heart of the series with a modern angle. The A-Team movie did that.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I loved the movie. It wasn't the show, but it couldn't have been the show. I describe the series as 70% camp, 30% action. I think the movie is the the opposite. The heart of the series was there (the extended edition is even better), further illustrating some of the qualities of each character.

I liked what Liam Neeson did with Hannibal. It wasn't an imitation, but an amalgam with his own style.

These types of movies are hard to do. You can make an attempt to imitate the original series, you can do your own thing (Dukes of Hazzard did this; Bo & Luke weren't written in the voices of the characters, but rather the actors), or you can incorporate the heart of the series with a modern angle. The A-Team movie did that.

M
    I agree. The A-Team movie was entertaining and managed to capture the essence of the show yet update it for a modern audience.

As far as movie adaptations (not counting continuations) of TV go, it was good, but I think "The Fugitive" and the first "Star Trek" reboot movie and "The Addams Family" and "Addams Family Values", then maybe "The A-Team". Certainly one of the better ones though.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

My people own that Swiss army knife from an early age. A very early age. In fact, that's how we all escape from our mother's womb.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This weekend i watched the first 10 episodes of the A Team's first season.
    All pretty good. What a gauntlet of Big Bads the team had to go through!

There was:

Mexican Paramilitary (ep 1&2 -the pilot)
    Religious Cult (ep 3)
    Corrupt Prison Warden (ep 4)
    Corrupt LA Swat team (ep 5)
    Biker Gang (ep 6)
    Biggest crime boss in Vegas (ep 7)
    Small Time NYC crimeboss (ep 8)
    Backwoods hicks (ep 9)
    Corrupt Rancher (ep 10)

I think half of the episodes had the standard BA is scared to fly gimmick
    I had only noticed the standard BA flip toss of bad guys once until the 10th episode where he did it about 5 times.

The best moment was in the prison episode with Murdoch's yelling/singing of "I want some trash bags!" It made me laugh when i was six and it is still funny when i am 36.

Picking out the most absurd moment of what i saw is pretty tough, but these are the top 3 i came up with:

1. The team having an explosive fire fight in NYC and not one cop ever showing up
    2. Murdoch flying a helicopter with no hands, the pilot door open, and him leaning out the side (dropping dynamite)
    3. The team strategically locating nearly all its missions into areas that look exactly what you would imagine a Hollywood studio backlot would look like.
  • Options

This weekend i watched the first 10 episodes of the A Team's first season.
    All pretty good. What a gauntlet of Big Bads the team had to go through!

There was:

Mexican Paramilitary (ep 1&2 -the pilot)
    Religious Cult (ep 3)
    Corrupt Prison Warden (ep 4)
    Corrupt LA Swat team (ep 5)
    Biker Gang (ep 6)
    Biggest crime boss in Vegas (ep 7)
    Small Time NYC crimeboss (ep 8)
    Backwoods hicks (ep 9)
    Corrupt Rancher (ep 10)

I think half of the episodes had the standard BA is scared to fly gimmick
    I had only noticed the standard BA flip toss of bad guys once until the 10th episode where he did it about 5 times.

The best moment was in the prison episode with Murdoch's yelling/singing of "I want some trash bags!" It made me laugh when i was six and it is still funny when i am 36.

Picking out the most absurd moment of what i saw is pretty tough, but these are the top 3 i came up with:

1. The team having an explosive fire fight in NYC and not one cop ever showing up
    2. Murdoch flying a helicopter with no hands, the pilot door open, and him leaning out the side (dropping dynamite)
    3. The team strategically locating nearly all its missions into areas that look exactly what you would imagine a Hollywood studio backlot would look like.

Lol, the cops never show up on TV. I recently watched an episode of "Nikita" (which I enjoy btw, but this struck me as hilarious) where one person was arrested and brought down to the station, and there is a fire fight during his escape. There was the cop who was in the scene and then ONE other cop... at the police station. But they did send like 5 squad cars to arrest the guy to begin with, so I guess there could have been a shoplifter they were all out on call for.

So to your point, it was NYC in the 80's... clearly that was just the smallest explosive fire fight going on that day.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Finished season one. The most absurd moment of the season title was stolen away from the NYC episode to an episode in which terriorists steal a large passenger airplane with hostages from LAX, flies around for a couple hours, lands, takes off again, flies into Mexican air space, the team recaptures the plane, flies it back into US air space, and crash lands into a terminal - and not one member of the FBI, FAA, LAPD, NORAD, Mexican gov, or US gov knows anything about it.
  • Options
    I must be older than you folks...the show came on, I watched a couple of episodes and hated it. It looked cheap, the formula was already dated, and the "jokes" were cringe-worthy. Never understood why it became a hit.

Then again, it was a VERY dark time for TV...you had a few great shows like Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere, but the smart sit-coms of the 70's were gone and dramas had gone so lowest common denominator that most of the stuff on TV was unwatchable. I have revisited a few of the TV shows I loved as a kid, and I wish I would have left them in my memory. The Six Million Dollar Man looked like a high school production...just heartbreaking.

The current era for TV is SO much better...
  • Options

I must be older than you folks...the show came on, I watched a couple of episodes and hated it. It looked cheap, the formula was already dated, and the "jokes" were cringe-worthy. Never understood why it became a hit.

Then again, it was a VERY dark time for TV...you had a few great shows like Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere, but the smart sit-coms of the 70's were gone and dramas had gone so lowest common denominator that most of the stuff on TV was unwatchable. I have revisited a few of the TV shows I loved as a kid, and I wish I would have left them in my memory. The Six Million Dollar Man looked like a high school production...just heartbreaking.

The current era for TV is SO much better...

I agree some things are best lefe in our memories but I'm surprised to here you dog The Six Million Dollar Man. I watched the first TV movie recently (within the last 2 years) and was stunned at how seriously they took the material. there was absolutely no cheesyness to it at all. no "Nanananana" sound effects, nothing. Austin is mortified at what has been done to him and at one point begs a nurse to kill him. It was pretty heavy stuff I thought. Now don't get me wrong as the series progressed the goofy superheroic knob got turned up and the serious drama knob broke off but at least initially they were really going for broke.
  • Options
    I watched it when I first got the SciFi Channel and was amazed at just how terrible it looked. It was the Bigfoot episode, and I have seen better effects and dialogue in my friend's super 8 movies he made in his back yard.

I'm betting the movie was much better because it was based on a decent enough book. But the series was aimed at kids...and Land of the Lost was better written.
  • Options

I watched it when I first got the SciFi Channel and was amazed at just how terrible it looked. It was the Bigfoot episode, and I have seen better effects and dialogue in my friend's super 8 movies he made in his back yard.

I'm betting the movie was much better because it was based on a decent enough book. But the series was aimed at kids...and Land of the Lost was better written.

Yeah that bigfoot stuff was towards the end of the series i think and it had definately jumper the shark by that point.
  • Options
    Besides the A-team, i am starting to watch the dvds of The Rockford Files. Pretty enjoyable so far.