Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Jim Starlin & Ron Lim return to Thanos

Marvel Comics has announced Thanos Annual #1 from the creative team of the classic Infinity Gauntlet series, and still one of my favorite Silver Surfer runs. Writer Jim Starlin and artist Ron Lim will reunite on a one-shot, which looks back on the past of the villain. Release date is May 2014.

More here: http://www.digitalspy.com/comics/news/a552525/thanos-annual-reunites-infinity-gauntlets-jim-starlin-ron-lim.html

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I thought I read somewhere Starlin is doing three Thanos projects for Marvel...this one shot, an OGN, and a project to be named later.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I thought I read somewhere Starlin is doing three Thanos projects for Marvel...this one shot, an OGN, and a project to be named later.

I understand this one-shot leads into the OGN.

:)
  • Options
    It's good to see Ron Lim on a major project again. I LOVE his art, and he was one of the bright lights of the 90's. When he drew a book, you knew you'd get clean, well drawn art that was in service to the story. I'd buy anything by these two guys!
  • Options
    I've absolutely no problem with a Starlin/Lim collaboration, but I confess I would have preferred Starlin drawing as well as writing.
  • Options
    I absolutely loved Lim's run on Silver Surfer. Currently, I'm 3 issues shy of a full first 100 issue run of the 90's volume of Silver Surfer.
  • Options
    Great! Damn near every writer that wasn't Starlin that has written Thanos has gotten him wrong. For some reason, everyone forgets the last two-three pages of the Infinity Gauntlet and the fact that Thanos was the guardian of the reality gem.

DnA wrote Thanos (and Warlock) wrong, and Bendis wrote him even worse. Not to mention whoever wrote Kazar and Thor beating Thanos, and whoever had him rob a bank in a Spider-Man issue.

Anyhow, great to see Starlin back!
  • Options
    Hellsfire said:

Great! Damn near every writer that wasn't Starlin that has written Thanos has gotten him wrong. For some reason, everyone forgets the last two-three pages of the Infinity Gauntlet and the fact that Thanos was the guardian of the reality gem.

DnA wrote Thanos (and Warlock) wrong, and Bendis wrote him even worse. Not to mention whoever wrote Kazar and Thor beating Thanos, and whoever had him rob a bank in a Spider-Man issue.

What? You didn't like the helicopter with Thanos' name on it?

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Uber excited for this.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Hellsfire said:

Not to mention whoever wrote Kazar and Thor beating Thanos, and whoever had him rob a bank in a Spider-Man issue.

This probably doesn't make you very happy either.

• Options
    Hex said:

Hellsfire said:

Not to mention whoever wrote Kazar and Thor beating Thanos, and whoever had him rob a bank in a Spider-Man issue.

lol. But no one should feel bad losing to Squirrel Girl. She's unstoppable. Personally, I think "The Dark Squirrel Girl Saga" would be the greatest Marvel crossover event in history.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    From what I read of the Aaron/Bianchi Thanos Rising mini, it would have been improved by some bank heists.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Where was that from?
    Hex said:

I read that and compared to the other stuff it wasn't that bad. I took it as them poking fun at the Infinity Abyss. While that was the weakest Infinity saga (though I haven't yet read Infinity), it was clearly written to rein in all the crappy stories people did with Starlin's character.

As an aside, what bothers me is that there's no bridge between Infinity Abyss and Annihilation. The gems were suddenly in possession of the Illuminati (why does everyone think they can work together when it was declared they can't?), Gamora wasn't with Warlock and for some strange reason cared about being "The Most Dangerous Woman in the Galaxy" and liked killing people, Warlock came back and now uses magic, Drax got smaller and redder. I'm sure there was other stuff, but I can't remember. It was all very jarring and confusing.
    David_D said:

From what I read of the Aaron/Bianchi Thanos Rising mini, it would have been improved by some bank heists.

I haven't read it yet as I'm waiting for the app to get all the issues. Couldn't be worse than Death and Thanos having a child or the recent crap I read in Avengers Assemble.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Hellsfire said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Where was that from?
    Hex said:

I read that and compared to the other stuff it wasn't that bad. I took it as them poking fun at the Infinity Abyss. While that was the weakest Infinity saga (though I haven't yet read Infinity), it was clearly written to rein in all the crappy stories people did with Starlin's character.

As an aside, what bothers me is that there's no bridge between Infinity Abyss and Annihilation. The gems were suddenly in possession of the Illuminati (why does everyone think they can work together when it was declared they can't?), Gamora wasn't with Warlock and for some strange reason cared about being "The Most Dangerous Woman in the Galaxy" and liked killing people, Warlock came back and now uses magic, Drax got smaller and redder. I'm sure there was other stuff, but I can't remember. It was all very jarring and confusing.
    David_D said:

I haven't read it yet as I'm waiting for the app to get all the issues. Couldn't be worse than Death and Thanos having a child or the recent crap I read in Avengers Assemble.
    It went from Infinity Abyss to Marvel: The End to the Thanos Series... not that it will clear up what you want.

Though the Drax stuff is answered in that Drax series.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Spidey Super Stories #39

In the same issue you have Thanos being led away in handcuffs by the police..funny stuff.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Spidey Super Stories #39

In the same issue you have Thanos being led away in handcuffs by the police..funny stuff.

Has a bit of an Allred feel to it...
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    She dropped the cosmic cube and reacted that way? Geez.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    mwhitt80 said:

She dropped the cosmic cube and reacted that way? Geez.

That Patsy... such a card!
    I think that reaction is pretty accurate for her character!
  • Options
    I just read Thanos Rising. It was pretty bad and made no sense. I liked the art. You know, sometimes you don't need to know a character's backstory much like Vader. Maybe it was a clone. #jimstarlinsrollingoverinhisgrave
  • Options
    Hellsfire said:

I just read Thanos Rising. It was pretty bad and made no sense. I liked the art. You know, sometimes you don't need to know a character's backstory much like Vader. Maybe it was a clone. #jimstarlinsrollingoverinhisgrave

I think Starlin gave Thanos all the backstory he really needed. Or that we really needed.
  • Options
    And it's too early to claim Starlin is rolling over in his grave. He's working on new Thanos stuff!