Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1467 Talkback - Comic Talk

2»

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    My suggestion is for the guys to keep doing what they are doing, and not second guess themselves too much.

I think it has worked well so far, all these years in, and I trust their instincts.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited March 2014
    'Serious' only to those that make it serious. Some people would say trashing a writer is also serious. How about DON'T take it so serious? If it's 'just an entertainment show' then who cares what political things are said? And if you do care, that's not on the hosts. Listeners have the choice to determine what does/doesn't matter. It's one thing if what was said was harmful. But it wasn't. Rule of thumbs be damned. :)
  • Options
    I'm sorry that I even mentioned it now. I really was just throwing it out there as a recommendation/suggestion that the guys could with as they wished. I didn't mean for it to turn into how we should or should not view things.

Onto happier topics, I'm looking forward to you guys covering the Avengers Forever in the book of the month. It's one of my all time favorite stories. It's been a while since I read it, but I have a nice hardcover edition that I will be pulling off my shelf to read again before listening to that episode when you do it.

(and yes, I am expecting that now someone will be outraged that I was talking about Avengers Forever, their most reviled title ever or how book of the month is their most despised type of episode. LOL)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Loved Avengers Forever and looking forward to the Book of the Month coverage.

I also did not care for Jamie D's political comment, but only because it took me out of the discussion on comics. I generally agree with Jamie D about 40% of the time anyways, so I don't really care what his politics are.

And you're certainly entitled to your opinions @Royal_Lantern. Don't apologize for them. I think the guys were even saying this in that last 15 minutes after mentioning their 9 year anniversary, that they welcomed criticism as much as the praises they receive. So feel free to chime in on whatever you like or do not like. No guarantees anything will change due to either :)
  • Options
    Oh yeah @bralinator, Jamie even said he knew he was going to get some heat for his comment. But thank you for saying to feel free to chime in. :-)

There are very few guarantees in life and I never expect any in entertainment, even when I'm the one providing the entertainment....or maybe ESPECIALLY when I'm providing it. LOL
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I generally agree with Jamie D about 40% of the time

lol

I like that you have an actual percentage figured out. Is that true for all the hosts? What about @Peter ....how often do you agree with him?
    :)
  • Options
    Hahaha. Surprisingly quite often @Mr_Cosmic, although the ratio has been in severe decline for the last several weeks.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Well that escalated and then descalated quickly. #:-S

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Hey! So how about that local comic book shop? It sure is local!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I don't remember the comment. :(
  • Options

Hey! So how about that local comic book shop? It sure is local!

And they sell comics.....and it's a shop. I'm not one to shop much. I like to get in, buy what I want, and get out. "Get out of here", that's a phrase not used too often these days. These Days was a good album by Bon Jovi...or maybe that wasn't Bon Jovi. I might be getting it confused with his song Glory Days. Glory was a fantastic movie. Really emotional and gritty. I hate it when my food is too gritty. It just stays in my teeth for hours. I wish I had more hours in the day. It just seems like there is never enough time. Time is a magazine I really never buy. If I'm going to read something enjoyable I would rather read a comic book. I find some comic books I like at my local comic book shop.

And thus ends another episode of "Random Tangents"

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Hey, @i_am_scifi‌, what were those manga recommendations again? They all sounded interesting and I wanted to check them out, but I could only remember Full Metal Alchemist.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited March 2014
    One other point I forgot to mention before. Not trying to keep this going. But I think this needs to be addressed to show how flip flop this all is: the political talk in the episode received "suggestions" to maybe bypass those thoughts, when in this very thread abuddah's "suggestion" for more Comic Talk in a Comic Talk episode was met with: it's their show! Let them do what they want! It's free!

That's an amazing reversal that just needs to be pointed out. Goose, gander and all that.
  • Options
    I felt there was plenty of comic talk in the episode. They discussed a lot of titles. I liked hearing their thoughts on Forever Evil. I am actually enjoying Forever evil quite a bit, including the tie-in issues. The Forever Evil Blight through the magic books have been not to my liking. I was already getting those titles though so it wasn't like I went out of my way to read that story. It's okay, but just not great or something I would even recommend to check out.

I was not surprised by the end of the latest Forever Evil issue, but I was disappointed, as was mentioned on the show, about how the cover did not fit AT ALL to what the issue was about. I know it doesn't have to, but it should still relate a bit.

Overall though Forever Evil has been a great story in my eyes. I'm glad I chose to read it. I just hope it ends well.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    @LibraryBoy That would be Bakuman and Genshiken (both Genshiken and its sequel, Genshiken II)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Thanks! I'm really underread in the manga department and appreciate suggestions.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    FYI: for anyone that felt episode 1467 didn't contain enough "Comic Talk", be advised: Episode 1469 - Comic Talk is now available for download :)

Of course those that felt 1467 had just the right amount of comic talk (or too much), you may want to just wait until Murd announces it's up if you're pacing yourself.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I like the "new and improved" CGS Comic Talk episodes. I'll tell you when me and my friends hang out at cons we don't talk about comic books 100% of the time. Sometimes we veer off into Taco Bell talk or who knows what else. This episode was a great listen to some friends shooting the breeze and having fun. Keep it up and do what you guys want! I'm also going to second the liking of the November Previews comment, I literally laughed out loud!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited April 2014
    Just listened: Ah, nice, laid-back episode and ah, didn't mind the "political" comment. The Geeks can talk about anything they want even if it's tangential. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Avengers Forever, too! Oh, and I'm wondering about that Forever Evil talk: I thought that while Jamie and Shane talked around whatever happened in the story, they said enough to know what the story was NOT about ("...it's not what happened on the cover", etc.). I think I'd rather find out about that stuff myself. This is sort of extreme, but this sort compares to a scene on Big Bang Theory when comic store owner Stuart comes up to Sheldon and says "Sheldon, did you read the latest Hellboy (maybe, I forgot the comic title)? It was mind-blowing!" Sheldon responds:"Spoilers! Now I can't read the comic without my mind being pre-blown!" Hahaha...
    Oh, it was nice hearing that Comic Geek Speak rap at the end...