Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1467 Talkback - Comic Talk

Pants makes another guest appearance to share a few stories from the London Super Comic Convention. Then, we 'pick a little, talk a little' about assorted listener correspondence, recent comics news items, and trivia questions. Like the episode title says, it's 'Comic Talk'! (1:43:54)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Here you go, Shane. Just a few from that run of full length/full size posters.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    rebis said:

I got a full size Hal Jordan GL and Batman poster some time ago at my LCS. They're neat!

• Options
    fredzilla said:

rebis said:

I got a full size Hal Jordan GL and Batman poster some time ago at my LCS. They're neat!

I would really like to get the Captain Marvel.
  • Options
    Alex Ross is amazing.
  • Options
    rebis said:

fredzilla said:

rebis said:

It would be fun to get them all. I do have this in just a regular poster size. It was hanging in my classroom and I designed some decoration for it that said something like, "The Greek Pantheon is Alive and Well!" The kids got a kick out of it.

• Options
    rebis said:

fredzilla said:

rebis said:

It's not the life size--I don't know if they ever released one--but they're available on eBay for a decent price.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited March 2014
    Hey guys, the voicemail(s) you played about Manga were played in a previous episode (or at least I swear they were, wish I could remember WHICH one!). Although hopefully the suggestions still ring as true this time around as they did then! :D

And you were close; I was "The Anime Report" back in the day. "Five Minutes of MANGAAAAAA!" was done by our boy Charlito!
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited March 2014
    Hi Guys: What a surprise to hear my name mentioned on this episode. Adam, the Pop Culture House may be gone but I still have that Ross/Perez Crisis poster. That's in storage. Here is what is hanging inside my current office:

"The Original Seven" by Alex Ross: http://images.generationgallery.com/images/products/zoom/1338997407-88601400.jpg

"Avengers Assemble" by Alex Ross: http://cdn.fromheroestoicons.com/blog/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/avengers-assemble-ross.jpg

JSA by Alex Ross: http://www.vaultcollectibles.com/2013/01/20/signed-alex-ross-wb-studio-store-exclusive-jsa-litho-the-justice-society-of-america/

Do you notice a theme?

I've always wanted a poster of the JLA/Avengers that Perez did with all the various members. Was it ever sold as a poster?
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547

Speaking of Alex Ross, did you all see the new Spidey cover he's got coming our way?
    It's a beauty: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=96345
  • Options
    Rapt to hear me mentioned again, this time trying to deceive the D (or as I put it, "Diss The D."). Just peeved I couldn't stump him.
    Oh well. Maybe next time.
    I hope to listen through the entire episode sometime very soon (maybe tonight).
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I loved that you read an email from November about a guy wondering where his Previews episode was..too funny!
  • Options
    Was there some podcast drinky drinky going on?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqIQyT-RuM
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Kudos on the anniversary to all. Just a suggestion, can we get a little more of what happened in the back 16 minutes of the ep, aka Comic Talk? The games are fun, as is the email in small doses, but I turn to comic podcasts to hear the discussions about the comics and the related news
  • Options
    abuddah said:

Kudos on the anniversary to all. Just a suggestion, can we get a little more of what happened in the back 16 minutes of the ep, aka Comic Talk? The games are fun, as is the email in small doses, but I turn to comic podcasts to hear the discussions about the comics and the related news

DISAGREE!
  • Options
    rebis said:

abuddah said:

DISAGREE!

If only there was a "button"...
  • Options
    abuddah said:

I see your point, but I also agree with @rebis. I like to hear all this other stuff, but to call the episode "Comic Talk" when only a small portion of the episode is actually comics/movies and tv/toys and merchandise related is a little misleading. I don't care because I'll listen to every episode that the Geeks put out. But I also know not everyone does this.

I do think that @JamieD‌ was also hinting at an episode devoted mainly to emails and voicemails (Hello, "Listener Feedback"?). All his harping about calling in makes me want to do just that. I just have to find something praiseworthy or gripe worthy. :)
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    abuddah said:

I hate it when the free podcast is'nt exactly the way I want it. How dare they do it the way they want. I've typed a variant of this reply every time people complain about the podcast. It's their sandbox, let them play in it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2014
    shroud68 said:

abuddah said:

I hate it when the free podcast is'nt exactly the way I want it. How dare they do it the way they want. I've typed a variant of this reply every time people complain about the podcast. It's their sandbox, let them play in it.
    I actually agree with both of you, if that's possible. These are the kinds of episodes I tend to zip through and fast forward here and there. It wasn't one of the better ones in my opinion, but I appreciate all of their work at CGS and we get what we pay for. Seems I've received far more gems than duds and with this episode I had a few laughs, and learned a few things too. Sure, it would be nice if Jamie had all of his ducks in a row before hitting record (sponsor scripts, sfx, music cues, etc), but again, this is a free service that I enjoy regularly.

To me, it's all about the Previews and Spotlight episodes. (And the semi-annual Time Bubble from @Adam_Murdough). All other episodes are basically just hanging out with the geeks.

And bsides, @JamieD did say this episode was cursed... :)
  • Options
    I find myself actually listening to more episodes these days than I have in the recent past. I started listening to every episode after episode 700. Then a year or so ago, I only started choosing episodes here and there. Now, I am back to listening to every episode.

I love the quirky songs and sound effects Jamie has been throwing in (and sometimes when they don't work right away, it's even funnier). I don't need the guys talking comics every episode (but there was some in this episode....not sure what people were hearing that said there wasn't....maybe fast forwarding too much??). I like just hearing the guys go on tangents. It makes it sound more like friends talking (which is good since they are friends) and I'm being able to listen in on the conversation.

So, guys, as far as I'm concerned, keep doing what you are doing. The quality of shows to me have been great and I enjoy all of the antics and tangents you do. Happy Anniversary!!
  • Options
    For myself, CGS has gone from being something I listen to for comic & pulp culture news to a visit with friends. I couldn't agree more with @Royal_Lantern‌.

I'm waiting for the day when we get a studio cam. That would be great fun.
  • Options
    My ONLY recommendation, PLEASE stay away from the political comments. I understand it is your opinion and it's your show, so you can do what you want, but statements like what was made can alienate or even anger listeners (especailly since it is not a political podcast). I'm not one to believe at all in the statement that was made as being true in any way, shape, or fashion, but I would be asking this even if the statement that was made was in line with my beliefs.

Outside of that, fantastic show. I really had a lot of fun listening.
  • Options
    I'm trying to remember a recent political comment.

The last I remember was Bryan Deemer saying that 43 should have been assassinated.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I loved the email asking about November Previews episode. It made me laugh.

Another fun episode.
  • Options
    rebis said:

The last I remember was Bryan Deemer saying that 43 should have been assassinated.

I'm a libertarian...didn't vote for the guy...but after that one I took a break from the show for about a month.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Ugh. I'm trying to remember the time a deputy Russian prime minister openly mocked number 43. Oh wait...

j/k
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

rebis said:

I'm a libertarian...didn't vote for the guy...but after that one I took a break from the show for about a month.
    Yeah. When that comment was made back then, I stepped away for a bit also when Bryan said that. I didn't vote for him either, but even so, that type of comment shouldn't be said.

The comment in this episode that I was referring to (at least I believe it was was this episode...I did listen to two back to back) was the comment about siding with the party that cares about people....or something along those lines.

Obviously anyone can say whatever they want (one of the greatest things about where we live) and it's their show, so the hosts can say what they want (heck, they might annoy someone just as much for not liking a character that someone else loves). I just know that political statements can polarize some people.

I'm not going to stop listening over that statement, even though I disagree with the meaning behind it, but I figured it was worth a suggestion to stay away from such comments or topics, especially when in the episode the guys were giving advice on how to bring listeners in.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited March 2014
    So which is it: do the show they want to do or stay away from political talk? Can't ask for both.

What's to say a comment about a comic or movie won't piss someone off or alienate a listener? I know people who stopped listening because of some Morrison bashing - should they take that off the topic list too? I know people who curbed their listening because of the Lost episodes. So nix tv? Treating politics (and religion) as some kind of sacrosanct topic over entertainment is giving it too much personal value. It's not up to a podcast to not step on a listener's toes.

In other words: people have opinions. People have differing opinions. You listen and accept that or not. No one's asking a listener to convert. No biggee.
  • Options
    And that is exactly what I said. They can do whatever they want because it's their show. I merely stated it as a suggestion. That's all it was. You're right (and I stated this in my comments) that they could piss someone off for their opinions about stuff in comics, TV, movies, etc. as well. Much like any suggestion that any listener makes about anything, they can do with it what they want because it is their show, and I enjoy the show immensely because they do it their way.

A suggestion is just that, a suggestion. Not a mandate. Not a demand. So, if they don't want to take the suggestion and use it, hey, that's fine. I have no expectations that they have to. I just thought I would throw it out there because it stood out for me in the episode when I heard it, and this is a forum for sharing thoughts and ideas from the episode. That's all I meant it to be.

I hope it wasn't taken as anything more than what it was intended to be.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited March 2014
    Peter said:

So which is it: do the show they want to do or stay away from political talk? Can't ask for both.

What's to say a comment about a comic or movie won't piss someone off or alienate a listener? I know people who stopped listening because of some Morrison bashing - should they take that off the topic list too? I know people who curbed their listening because of the Lost episodes. So nix tv? Treating politics (and religion) as some kind of sacrosanct topic over entertainment is giving it too much personal value. It's not up to a podcast to not step on a listener's toes.

In other words: people have opinions. People have differing opinions. You listen and accept that or not. No one's asking a listener to convert. No biggee.

Making opinions about comics on a comic podcast is quite a bit different from making opinions about off-topic issues, especially about things like politics that are (usually) much more serious. It's obviously up to the hosts themselves to figure out how far off-topic they want to go, or how sweeping they want their statements to be. But I think it's entirely reasonable for the rule of thumb to be "say whatever you want to say about the on-topic issue, but try to stay away from making judgmental comments about off-topic stuff". It seems like people on either side of all broadcast media (producers and consumers) basically expect that type of arrangement almost without even thinking about it. Normal people don't tune into an entertainment show to hear political comments, nor do they tune into a politics show to hear about what sort of music the host thinks is totally bad, nor do they tune into a sports show to hear about whichever types of movies the hosts might think are "only for stupid people."

I think CGS has done a pretty great job over the years when it comes to not making many off-topic comments that could alienate listeners. There are podcasts out there in which the hosts get sidetracked by making fun of off-topic things like what brand of cars people drive or whether vegetarianism is only stupid or else the only way for any sane person to eat.

Keep up the good work, CGS. And for what it's worth I think that Jamie's political comment on this episode (if I'm remembering it right) was pretty even-handed and inoffensive. As someone who didn't vote for either of the major candidates last time around, I wasn't offended even though he was basically saying that you "HAD" to vote for someone. I got his analogy to comics buying and wasn't hung up on it. The only thing I would add is that sometimes a well-informed non-vote IS basically a vote in that all of the candidates and parties will basically see "Okay, we aren't reaching that guy. What do we have to do to get his attention?"