Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel confirms "Black Widow" movie in development

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1722209/marvel-black-widow-movie.jhtml
During an interview for the cover story about "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," Feige explains how "Avengers: The Age of Ultron" fleshes out the spy's story and then reveals that there has been some work done on a Black Widow movie, potentially starring Scarlett Johansson.

"We learn more about her past and learn more about where she came from and how she became in that film," he said. "The notion of exploring that even further in her own film would be great, and we have some development work with that."

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Cool. I've enjoyed watching the character develop and it's fun to watch Scarlett Johansson kick people's asses so I would definitely go and see this.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I would watch the heck out of this.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Meanwhile...over at DC...Wonder Woman has yet to get her own film...
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Torchsong said:

Meanwhile...over at DC...Wonder Woman has yet to get her own film...

Technically....Black Widow hasn't either.

M
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    "...potentially starring Scarlett Johansson"

I hope they replace her. She's done a fine job so far but I think the role could be better cast.

If the potential movie is just now starting to be developed, there's a good chance that it wouldn't even be released until after this round of Avengers movies are over with and it'd be time to revitalize the character with a new actress.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited February 2014
    Every character/concept is 'in development'. It's Hollywood speak. Don't take much stock until you start hearing about hirings and film shoots. Even then it's not guaranteed.

Marvel Studios could use a movie that headlined anything but a white dude. I'll give them a pass if they do a Black Widow, Black Panther, Cpt Marvel, etc and DC still hasn't had a WW movie out. Until then, it's nobody's game.

(Then again there was Catwoman: female and ethnic. DC win. But oh did we lose. What a bad movie. :))
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

"...potentially starring Scarlett Johansson"

I hope they replace her. She's done a fine job so far but I think the role could be better cast.

If the potential movie is just now starting to be developed, there's a good chance that it wouldn't even be released until after this round of Avengers movies are over with and it'd be time to revitalize the character with a new actress.

It's possible, but I think she's done the role justice. Its minimally about her looks, because there are other super hot actresses with abetter resume. I just like the continuity of cast, provided he/she does the role justice, has a respect for the source material, & isn't an onset ass pain for the rest of the cast.

I'm sure Hawkeye could be better cast, but I think Renner is doing the role well.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This has the potential to be another Elektra film.
    Meh.

For my money, this is much less interesting than Ant-Man or even GotG. Maybe they could bring back Daredevil with this though? Either way, I would definitely watch it on Blu-Ray or Netflix though. Ticket prices being what they are these days, I'm selective about what I'm willing to pay $10 to see in a theater when I can wait 3 months and watch it at home for much less while also owning it.

Now if it were She-Hulk...?
  • Options

This has the potential to be another Elektra film.

Meh.

For my money, this is much less interesting than Ant-Man or even GotG. Maybe they could bring back Daredevil with this though? Either way, I would definitely watch it on Blu-Ray or Netflix though. Ticket prices being what they are these days, I'm selective about what I'm willing to pay $10 to see in a theater when I can wait 3 months and watch it at home for much less while also owning it.

Now if it were She-Hulk...?
    Its hard for me to have any less interest in GotG without adding a negative sign in front of the number.

She-Hulk could reach into the same pitfall as solo Hulk movies.

If the Black Widow movie was more like Salt & Covert Affairs, I think it could stand to be up there with Winter Soldier. How many cameos & character spring boards could you get out of the movie. Next to a Nick Fury movie, Black Widow has the potential to touch upon a large portion of the Marvel Studios Universe.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1722209/marvel-black-widow-movie.jhtml

During an interview for the cover story about "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," Feige explains how "Avengers: The Age of Ultron" fleshes out the spy's story and then reveals that there has been some work done on a Black Widow movie, potentially starring Scarlett Johansson.

"We learn more about her past and learn more about where she came from and how she became in that film," he said. "The notion of exploring that even further in her own film would be great, and we have some development work with that."

"we have some development work with that."

Yea, I won't hold my breath on that. To me that means "We think this would be cool.... but it could be 5 years or more away. Or never."
  • Options
    As a replacement for the SHIELD tv series, it might be perfect.

Was just kidding about the SheHulk movie.

I need a sarcasm font.
  • Options
    I'd rather see a Carol Danvers movie, I think, or a Jessica Drew. Better yet, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing co-headlining. Scarlett is fine as Black Widow, but we've kind of been there and seen that.

Also, recasting the role would be a death sentence.
  • Options
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=115912

It has been known for some time that Marvel Studios has been considering giving Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow a solo film. During a press conference today to promote their latest release, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, studio President Kevin Feige revealed that developmental work is still underway on just such a project.

"I think the idea would be great," he says. "We've got various outlines and ideas of where to take that. As Scarlett already said, there's a big element that explores her back story in an upcoming Marvel feature. The question really is, 'When will we take her out of the ensemble and have her do her own thing?' As you saw in ['Captain America: The Winter Soldier'], as you'll see in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron,' she's really the key to so much of the plot development."
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I actually "get" this hesitancy of true commitment, from a business standpoint.

The record of female lead comic movies is not great. Scarlett Johansson, despite her success in supporting roles and ensemble casts, isn't a guaranteed audience draw. Black Widow is a superhero... that isn't super... or always a hero.

There is a lot of iffy in there.

Marvel has been really smart about building their movie universe. Do they want to hang their first female hero solo film hopes on this project?

Frankly, I'd rather see a Siff and the Warriors Three film. I was very disappointed at how underused they were in the Thor sequel, but I think if you give them a mission in one of the other realms, away from Thor, there is a real possibility of a fun film.

A Carl Danvers movie will take at least another movie to set up the character beforehand, so I don't see that one happening anytime soon. Same with She-Hulk.

Black Widow is their *best* bet right now, but I don't know if she is a great bet.

That said, if they could convince Joss Whedon to helm it (given his experience with Buffy the Vampire Slayer), it has some real potential.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited March 2014
    I think after Winter Soldier and Avengers 2, the public will eat up a ScarJo/Black Widow film with spoons in each hand.
  • Options
    Of course, THIS is the Black Widow feature I'd really like to see.

• Options
    I will watch ScarJo do her laundry if they film it, that being said, I would want them to not do an origin story on her. I feel they would, anyway, with all the focus they put on her past deeds in the Avengers movie.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

That would be way cool, though I'd take McKinnon's Raiders http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/c/c7/The-Fox's-Teeth.jpg or Team Banzai over Black Widow. But I strongly preferred House Davion over House Kurita.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

That would be way cool, though I'd take McKinnon's Raiders http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/c/c7/The-Fox's-Teeth.jpg or Team Banzai over Black Widow. But I strongly preferred House Davion over House Kurita.
    Nerds.

;)
  • Options
    I think you could make it similar to Salt (Angelina Jolie) or Columbiana. I'm not sure how successful they were, but I thought both were very entertaining.

M
  • Options
    Hell now that the Russians are The Enemy again, the possibilities are endless! :D
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I want to see Hawkeye and Black Widow in Budapest...
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Matt said:

I think you could make it similar to Salt (Angelina Jolie) or Columbiana. I'm not sure how successful they were, but I thought both were very entertaining.

M

I never saw Salt. I was interested in it, but then I read they went back and did some re-shoots because they were worried she upstaged her male love interest too much. Seeing as the studio suits seemed to have missed the entire point of the movie, I skipped it. Was it good?
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Maybe a Bourne meets Bond style spy film where we see some flashbacks to Black Widow's origins as a KGB assassin and spy. Perhaps a story of how the KGB was experimenting with a super soldier program similar to Captain America (which led to Omega Red in the comics), and how Black Widow sabotaged it leading to her defection to the US, being recruited by Nick Fury, and something from her past comes back to haunt her making Natasha choose between her loyalties to S.H.I.E.L.D. and protecting secrets from her past. Bring in villains like Whiplash, Crimson Dynamo, Red Guardian, etc and make it a spy/mystery/actioner.

If they make it a cross between The Itsy-Bitsy Spider and Deadly Origin Black Widow comic stories and they might have a hit worthy of the expanded MU. Otherwise, I'll probably wait until DVD/streaming...
  • Options

Matt said:

M

I never saw Salt. I was interested in it, but then I read they went back and did some re-shoots because they were worried she upstaged her male love interest too much. Seeing as the studio suits seemed to have missed the entire point of the movie, I skipped it. Was it good?
    If you watch the DVD/Blu-ray, there is a splintering part. Its much like a Bourne/M:i movie. Its entertaining.

And Angelina upstage someone else?! Remember a couple years ago at an awards show & Angelina was presenting? She wore a black dress with a slit? Right before the awards show aired a clip, her leg appeared out of that slit. It was the talk of the show the next day. Does Angelina upstage others? Her freaking bare leg up to her high thigh upstaged an entire show.

M
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Having seen Winter Soldier I would strongly support a Black Widow movie, she gets more and more interesting in each film.
  • Options
    Slightly off-topic, but still in the Scarlett realm...

Luc Besson knows how to make a fun movie. Here's Scarlett & Luc's version of Limitless. It's called Lucy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVt32qoyhi0
  • Options
    Okay, having seen Winter Soldier, I'm more convinced Scarlett owns the role & that a solo movie could work. I think Elektra failed because of minimal expose of the character. Widow has been in 3 movies so far & her role has only increased. I think besides having more of an exposure, the movie has the connection to a solid movie universe.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Okay, having seen Winter Soldier, I'm more convinced Scarlett owns the role & that a solo movie could work. I think Elektra failed because of minimal expose of the character. Widow has been in 3 movies so far & her role has only increased. I think besides having more of an exposure, the movie has the connection to a solid movie universe.

M

Elektra failed because of lack of exposure? Not because the only post-2000 comic book movie worse than elektra was catwoman?

Also, I will never understand why anyone wants to see Scarlett Johansson in anything other than a bikini. She is completely mediocre as an actress and has gotten away with reading every line of dialogue exactly the same because of her sultry voice and sex appeal. When it comes to Black Widow I have no choice but to accept her because I want to enjoy the movies set in this universe, but I'd never watch a solo movie, or any other movie in which she is THE star.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Matt said:

M

I think a solo movie would work - some type of spy thriller with cameos scattered throughout.

If they did not want to move on a solo movie, putting Black Widow in a teamup movie with Hawkeye or even Nick Fury could really work.