Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Amazon Buying Comixology

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
http://comixology.tumblr.com/post/82316305607/amazon-com-to-acquire-comixology

SEATTLE—April 10, 2014—(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon.com today announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire comiXology, the company that revolutionized the digital comics reading experience with their immersive Guided View technology and makes discovering, buying, and reading comic books and graphic novels easier and more fun than ever before.

“ComiXology’s mission is to spread the love of comics and graphic novels in all forms,” said David Steinberger, co-founder and CEO of comiXology. “There is no better home for comiXology than Amazon to see this vision through. Working together, we look to accelerate a new age for comic books and graphic novels.”

“Amazon and comiXology share a passion for reinventing reading in a digital world,” said David Naggar, Amazon Vice President, Content Acquisition and Independent Publishing. “We’ve long admired the passion comiXology brings to changing the way we buy and read comics and graphic novels. We look forward to investing in the business, growing the team, and together, bringing comics and graphic novels to even more readers.”

Founded in 2007, comiXology offers a broad library of digital comic book content from over 75 of the top publishers as well as top independent creators. Following the acquisition, comiXology’s headquarters will remain in New York.

Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed. Subject to various closing conditions, the acquisition is expected to close in the second quarter of 2014.

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Well. I think we just got our biggest comics news story of the year.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    That's ok with me.
  • Options
    Also? This shows how big digital comics already are, and will continue to be.

I believe (or at least I hope) this is a good sign for the longevity (and diversity of publisher and genre in) the medium of comics.

Amazon is smart money. And this is the smart money saying- in a world where there are all sorts of content to pick from- that comics are worth investing in.
  • Options
    And now, the self interest: We're Prime members. Here's hoping there is some sort of new, Marvel Unlimited-like, all you can eat deals to be had via this new ownership. Some connection to or discount via the Prime membership. I mean, a boy can dream.
  • Options
    JersenJersen Posts: 39
    Um, holy shit. That puts even more power behind ComiXology, and even thought I'm a guy that's pretty adamantly about owning physical copies of comic books, this just seems like it will open doors to easy accessibility of issues/stories that enthusiasts (not necessarily collectors) would like to have.
  • Options
    If they did end up linking it to Prime somehow that would be the final push I needed to sign up to that service.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    If we eventually get guided view for kindle devices, I may be done getting single issues in print.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    We'll see what this does, but on the surface this makes me happy.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I wonder what publishers are going to say? Will Amazon leverage them for better deals? Would Marvel say we'll do our own app then?

My experience buying trades from Amazon has been not good for me. They don't take up the whole page.

Can't blame Comixolgy for taking the cash. Amazon might just let them stay the course.
  • Options
    JersenJersen Posts: 39
    WetRats said:

Better Amazon than Diamond.

Amen!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Better Amazon than Diamond.

"Shudder!"
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited April 2014
    A couple of thoughts run through my head. I maybe making a big leap here, but my guess is in America Amazon is biggest place for people to get comics without going into a comic book store. They have now have bought a rising contender to be the other place people go to buy comics. It provides stability for Comixology which is good, but it does place a lot of power in the hands of one company.

I am not sure there was much competition for Comixology before, but any hope of competition probably just died with this deal. The great thing is Amazon believes in putting their applications everywhere so it is not like everyone has to go out and buy a Kindle Fire.

I saw this posted on another site, but this could mean Comixology encourages more self publishing in a similar manner to what Amazon is already doing other places in the company.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    As a Prime member and a Kindle owner I'm hoping for some good things.
  • Options
    spid said:

A couple of thoughts run through my head. I maybe making a big leap here, but my guess is in America Amazon is biggest place for people to get comics without going into a comic book store. They have now have bought a rising contender to be the other place people go to buy comics. It provides stability for Comixology which is good, but it does place a lot of power in the hands of one company.

I am not sure there was much competition for Comixology before, but any hope of competition probably just died with this deal. The great thing is Amazon believes in putting their applications everywhere so it is not like everyone has to go out and buy a Kindle Fire.

I saw this posted on another site, but this could mean Comixology encourages more self publishing in a similar manner to what Amazon is already doing other places in the company.

I think that makes a lot of sense. And Comixology is already encouraging self-publishers through their Submit! program. Though it may be that Amazon ownership might encourage them to go even further.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

spid said:

I think that makes a lot of sense. And Comixology is already encouraging self-publishers through their Submit! program. Though it may be that Amazon ownership might encourage them to go even further.
    I foresee a new age of self-published creepy trans-species erotica comics.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

spid said:

You mean "foresee" euphemistically, yes?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

spid said:

I foresee their existence and hope sincerely to never see them with mine own eyes.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

spid said:

I foresee their existence and hope sincerely to never see them with mine own eyes.
    Well. Whatever gets women to read some comics . . .
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    spid said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well when I saw the headline. It could be very good for the comics industry in the short term. Long term, I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    Comixology has been accomodating to publishers with their relationship to brick and mortar shops. The are willingly supporting same price for day and date of new comics.

I think that Amazon is not going to be so accomodating. They have always try to beat store prices and Kindle books are cheaper than new print books. Will they tell Marvel that digital comics will always be cheaper than print? It will be interesting.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Makes not the slightest difference in my preferences or buying habits.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203

Comixology has been accomodating to publishers with their relationship to brick and mortar shops. The are willingly supporting same price for day and date of new comics.

I think that Amazon is not going to be so accomodating. They have always try to beat store prices and Kindle books are cheaper than new print books. Will they tell Marvel that digital comics will always be cheaper than print? It will be interesting.

I am pretty sure Amazon's policy to dictate prices to publisher in 2010. Things may have changed, but I do not see Amazon telling publishers what they can charge.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/01/amazon-kindle-pricing-markets-equities-publisher.html

• Options
    The two ways I've purchased digital comics are through Comixology and Amazon (using my Kindle Fires), besides Kickstarter purchases of DRM-less PDFs.

I'm curious as to whether or not those two separate collections might now be combined? And even if they aren't, could my Amazon previous purchases get updated with guided view?

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    How long until AutoRip for trades!?!?!?
  • Options
    @spid Thanks for that link!
  • Options
    luke52 said:

How long until AutoRip for trades!?!?!?

Two things there... 1. When you go to purchase a trade, you get the additional option to get it digitally, for little or no cost.

And/or... 2. Any trades you've already ever purchased at Amazon it will give you the digital version absolutely free (they do this for "books" now).
  • Options
    As dumb as it sounds to wait for someone ELSE to say something before you form your own opinion, I don't really believe that I have alot of solid background and information on digital comics. Despite the fact that I work in the automobile infotainment industry and technology SHOULD be my thing, it's not something I follow, at least when it comes to digital comics.

I'll wait for @brydeemer to chime in with his two cents before I decide if this is good or bad...
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    I don't know how this is going to play out, but I'm glad the Comixology investors are getting that Bezos money. Good for them.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

I don't know how this is going to play out, but I'm glad the Comixology investors are getting that Bezos money. Good for them.

The way I see it, if they didn't sell out to Amazon now, Amazon would find or develop their own version, and would then likely undercut Comixology in an effort to put them out of business. That might have taken some time on Amazon’s part, but I'm sure they could have done it eventually. Now that Comixology has gotten aboard the A train, like spid said, it’s going to be that much tougher for any potential future competitors to make any headway in the market.

I think Diamond will be out of business within the next five to eight years, and we'll be back to one distributor: Amazon. I hope I'm wrong.