Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Forums?

Comments

• Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I quit Facebook years ago. Haven't missed it.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Ever considered setting up an annual fundraiser? List the amount needed as the goal and encourage users to donate. Maybe some of those that recognize the infotainment value would be happy to drop a few sheckles towards the cause.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Another suggestion would be to eliminate the graphics from posts, signatures and the like. Posters could post links to the images instead and save a whole bunch of bandwidth and expense.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2014
    hauberk said:

Another suggestion would be to eliminate the graphics from posts, signatures and the like. Posters could post links to the images instead and save a whole bunch of bandwidth and expense.

I think that combined with a paid VIP system would work. The free user has no avatar, can't post media, etc. That would save bandwidth. Then offer those options to the forum members willing to donate a certain amount each month.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    or just a donate box. Word Balloon & I-Fanboy have donate boxes on the site and i know several musicians that use a "Pay whatcha feel" method the sell their music.
  • Options

Peter said:

Let it die. Make them have to comment on the Facebook page. This forum has spiraled into fanboy masturbation. I mean, when a thread like 'I want to punch this in the face' is getting that much attention you know things are bad. The old guard, that came for the discussion and new comics focus and the podcast, is no longer interested in keeping the jerkoffs at bay. Why keep feeding their tripe? The true forum community comes out in celebratory threads. That's not enough to warrant keeping it going. You'll find the focus will sharpen on Facebook.

Couldn't disagree with this more if I tried. You can't force a community into a Facebook community. It has a to grow organically, just like the forums grew organically. You take the forums away and hit Facebook with a, "Hey guys, you can post here!" it's just not going to happen.

And as previously stated, those without Facebook will essentially be left with no way to correspond online with their fellow CGS listeners. Which would suck.
    I don't know what constitutes the "old guard". I've been listening to the podcast since, i don't know, somewhere in 2007, just before episode 200 I think. I only started participating in the forums in the last couple years. @jamie_D is giving it is level best in spite of some obvious challenges. I wish there were more geeks on the cast to help @Jamie_D carry the load. I kinda miss the days with 5 or 6 guys at a time. I hate to see @Peter direct such venom toward something he helped create and that we have all enjoyed. I'm rambling here a bit and I apologize. I guess I'm wondering if we are watching something at the end of its lifecycle. Has CGS hit its apex and declined to the point the plug needs to be pulled? I'm not calling for it or wanting it. I just wonder if, for good or for ill, I'm observing the end.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I hope we aren't on the down swing; CGS is the best it's been in 2 years. Jamie D is bringing back voicemails and listener participation, and we are getting all kinds of fun episodes. Jamie D you are doing an excellent job.

I want CGS to go til it hits 20.

I agree. I love that the listener feedback and involvement has returned. It truly gives it more of a community feel when you know they are listening and responding directly. I would hate for the forums to go away and would be in support (in action, and not just words) of helping to keep it going through a fundraiser. While Facebook is great and we get a lot of involvement from our fans through it, nothing beats a forum like this. We have a forum and get new people posting here and there and the regulars on there all of the time. Forums are not a dinosaur of the past yet...not when you get a ton of people still posting outside of just die-hards.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I hope we aren't on the down swing; CGS is the best it's been in 2 years. Jamie D is bringing back voicemails and listener participation, and we are getting all kinds of fun episodes. Jamie D you are doing an excellent job.

I want CGS to go til it hits 20.

or.........

52?!

:D
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    It does seem a bit sad that a founder has evolved into a troll on here, insisting the forums owner should just "let it die", but we've all had friends go bad in our lives. We get past it. The CGS show has hit some rough patches with losing major participants and God bless @JamieD for keeping it alive in spite of his health challenges. I agree with @Royal_Lantern and @mwhitt80 (and possibly many others here) that the show has become better than ever. I also prefer it when @JamieD, @ShaneKelly, @Adam_Murdough, and Chris Eberle are all on mic (and even more sometimes - the more voices the merrier), but I am quite content with solo casts, such asMurd's Time Bubble, and I still look forward to him actually getting into the main storyline of Crisis on Infinite Earths to finish up The Crisis Tapes... one day...

I've gotten plenty of good comics advice, feedback, and reviews from many of the members here. I've traded books to fill holes in my collection on here. Traded quips and barbs with some people when we've disagreed, but as politely as possibly I think. I've even donated to the show once. (Click here to do that right now!) And while I subscribe to 8 other comic related podcasts, I've never participated in their forums, much less donated to them. While I would agree that the show has suffered a few wobbly moments in recent past, and I don't wish to make excuses for that, but it is a passion project for the guys and I think it's worth my time and an occasional coin. I don't think the active CGS team members mind that the fans hold them to a high standard.

Consider it: http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/donate.php
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    As long as I'm still a moderator with the power to say who lives and who dies, you can do what you like. I'm sure I speak for David D. and Solitaire Rose on that matter.

We own your sorry asses. :)
  • Options
    (Yes, I'm joking about the whole "owning your sorry asses" comment).

(We do own your mom's...all your moms...)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

(Yes, I'm joking about the whole "owning your sorry asses" comment).

Bazinga!

@Torchsong‌ FTW!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Ohhh we know TS. I'm still sore from when you 3 banned the entire forums, which was crazy because somehow you guys simultaneously banned each other in your mad pwoer trips.

I want a banned from CGS avatar before we get the All-New-New 6.0 Forums.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Torchsong said:

I miss MaximGlory!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    WetRats said:

I miss MaximGlory!

Remember when he made a cracked.com list for a Stump the Rios video submission? What a great moment.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Ohhh we know TS. I'm still sore from when you 3 banned the entire forums, which was crazy because somehow you guys simultaneously banned each other in your mad pwoer trips.

We look on it as a series of checks and balances. It allows us to work with the same efficiency and productivity as the federal government. :)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Torchsong said:

As long as I'm still a moderator with the power to say who lives and who dies, you can do what you like. I'm sure I speak for David D. and Solitaire Rose on that matter.

I have waited my whole life to have the power over who lives and dies.

I AM DARKSEID!!!

• Options

Torchsong said:

I have waited my whole life to have the power over who lives and dies.

I AM DARKSEID!!!
    Picturing Darkseid with a monkey fez.

Amused.
  • Options
    The soon-to-be New New New New New Old Forum is acting a bit shaky tonight.

Keeps logging me off.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

Keeps logging me off.

dit...

whoops!

there. ditto.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Keeps logging me off.

dit...

whoops!

there. ditto.
    you're not alone. This morning has been twitchy, too.
  • Options
    Still acting up.

I think somebody hurt its feelings yesterday.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    It knows I'm back .... and it's scared.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    google group/community?
  • Options
    having issues tonight.. can barely get through.. but that won't stop be posting.

Proud CGS forums member for the last 6 years..