Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Nine DC Comics Movies Planned | Speculative Thread

Looks like Warner Bros. is getting its act together. The Wall Street Journal reported today that WB has nine DC comics movies planned, including the already announced Batman Vs. Superman and Justice League films, and now confirmed movie adaptations of Sandman and Fables. Any guesses to what the other 5 might be? Metal Men? 100 Bullets? Green Lantern 2? Shazam? Lobo?

More here comicbook.com/blog

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I would guess Batman 1-4
    and either Batman 5, Superman 3, or justice League 2 (depending on how mishandled JL1 goes).

In all seriousness 3 of them are going to be Batman movies. There could be a Wonder Woman movie and another Superman movie, or just all five are Batman movies.
  • Options
    DC is doing a Scalped show though which I am excited about, but I don't think it will be on a network that can really air Scalped material.
  • Options
    Detective Chimp!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    mwhitt80 said:

I would guess Batman 1-4
    and either Batman 5, Superman 3, or justice League 2 (depending on how mishandled JL1 goes).

In all seriousness 3 of them are going to be Batman movies. There could be a Wonder Woman movie and another Superman movie, or just all five are Batman movies.

What? No Jonah Hex 2?!?!

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I'd love a Identity Crisis movie, or like True Detective type miniseries. However, none of this would ever happen so I might as well sit her and sulk and make fun of how bad I think Justice League is gonna be
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Is Metal Men really an attractive enough property? I'm out of the DC loop so I don't know if they've gotten hot lately or what. I just remember them in '70s issues of Brave and Bold and they always felt a bit awkward.

Teen Titans, Legion of Super-Heroes, a 40s-era Justice Society would be nice team films. Adam Strange would make a nice straight-up sci-fi movie. Or make Kamandi for the dystopia-loving teens.
  • Options
    RickM said:

Is Metal Men really an attractive enough property? I'm out of the DC loop so I don't know if they've gotten hot lately or what. I just remember them in '70s issues of Brave and Bold and they always felt a bit awkward.

Teen Titans, Legion of Super-Heroes, a 40s-era Justice Society would be nice team films. Adam Strange would make a nice straight-up sci-fi movie. Or make Kamandi for the dystopia-loving teens.

Love the Kamandi idea!
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    The Inferior Five? The Dingbats of Danger Street? PREZ! The Adventures of Super Cool!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    They've officially had numerous movies
    Planned for decades. I'm still in shock i actually saw a green lantern movie. In a real movie theatre and everything!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    This is Hollywood, and DC Entertainment isn't going to put any capital behind any property that isn't likely (in their estimation) to make money. So all of their movies will feature one or more of the following: Batman. Superman. Wonder Woman (maybe). If they ever do something as off-the-list as the Metal Men -- which I think would be cool -- it will be something like Batman & The Metal Men. And the MM will be darned lucky if they even get mentioned in the title.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Handled with a light touch (not silly, but fun), Metal Men could make an Incredible movie. Alas, the Johns/Goyer camp only seem to get dark and gloomy. I fear what we'll end up with instead is a pompous, ponderous Transformers clone.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    How many of these films are Before Watchmen? ;)
  • Options
    Brack said:

How many of these films are Before Watchmen? ;)

Crap I should have thought about that. I knew they wouldn't really consider a Wonderwoman movie.

Before Watchmen: Batman vs the Comedian
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    A Legion movie would be great but since nobody really bought the last main Legion title and the last Legion lost book was crap - i will not get my hopes up.

Batman: Fast and Furious would be the highest money making movie of all time.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    A little off topic and it would never happen but I think Resurrection Man could make a great TV show.

Film wise, as others have mentioned, they'll all include Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    luke52 said:

A little off topic and it would never happen but I think Resurrection Man could make a great TV show.

I'd watch that.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Hopefully they give Green Lantern another chance.

http://www.moviecricket.com/chris-pine-considered-for-green-lantern-and-justice-league-by-warner-bros-68374/

And it seems they MIGHT, although this seems to be wishful thinking combined with massive rumor.

Of course I'm biased, BUT I'm kinda ALREADY getting sick of the jokes at GL's expense lately. It's like he's the new Aquaman suddenly. I want an EPIC, mass market, portrayal of GL to just shut everyone up...or at least so I can have SOMETHING to point to and go "Watch this. You're about to be blown away" that ISN'T direct to DVD animated....
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Would Chris Pine be good as Hal or Kyle? Or someone/thing else? :P
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    If they do anything further with Green Lantern, they need to distance themselves from that first film.

In fact, they should just go ahead and switch over to John Stewart. Bring him in for the Justice League film (if that ever actually happens), have someone give a throwaway line of, "Hey, you aren't the Green Lantern!" and have him respond, "What, you think there is only one?" and just move forward from there.
  • Options
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    Idk why but I've always hated John Stewart as a character. He is by far my least favorite GL. I can see the need to move away from the Ryan Reynolds bomb, but I don't think JS as GL would interest me. But none of the DC movie are interesting to me at this point so I guess it's not an issue for me.
  • Options

Idk why but I've always hated John Stewart as a character. He is by far my least favorite GL. I can see the need to move away from the Ryan Reynolds bomb, but I don't think JS as GL would interest me. But none of the DC movie are interesting to me at this point so I guess it's not an issue for me.

I can tell you why he's a terrible comics character. The only thing remotely interesting about him is when he blew up a planet and killed billions of innocents (see the amazing Cosmic Odyssey).

I can also tell you why he is the perfect version of GL for the movies and really awesome. The Justice League cartoon. He was pretty great in that series.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I can also tell you why he is the perfect version of GL for the movies and really awesome. The Justice League cartoon. He was pretty great in that series.

Agreed.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

mwhitt80 said:

Agreed.
    I would also add the Green Lantern: Mosaic series—for my money the best Green Lantern series ever produced (but that's probably just me). It established John as the GL who uses his brain to solve issues (something the JL cartoon didn't quite do enough with in my opinion—I prefer the architect to the soldier), while also making him more fully developed and relatable. Mosaic made Stewart far and away my favorite GL. Too bad that take on Stewart doesn’t really seem to exist outside of the Mosaic series—not from what I've read anyway.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

mwhitt80 said:

Agreed.
    I would also add the Green Lantern: Mosaic series—for my money the best Green Lantern series ever produced (but that's probably just me). It established John as the GL who uses his brain to solve issues (something the JL cartoon didn't quite do enough with in my opinion—I prefer the architect to the soldier), while also making him more fully developed and relatable. Mosaic made Stewart far and away my favorite GL. Too bad that take on Stewart doesn’t really seem to exist outside of the Mosaic series—not from what I've read anyway.
    Agreed.

Both about Mosaic, and John Stewart the Architect.

When did his backstory change?
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

Agreed.
    Agreed.

Both about Mosaic, and John Stewart the Architect.

When did his backstory change?

It didn't, so much as the interpretation did. And I agree with the reasoning behind why he is a terrible comic character. As for the JL cartoon, that's where people know him from, and why for years he was the primary GL in the general public's eyes, so I agree that it makes him perfect for being part of the movie JL. But truth be told, I hated Justice League. Maybe not hated, but I disliked it strongly. Not because of Stewart per se, I just didn't like the tone or pacing of the show, so he never really got the chance to grow on me.

Before the internet blows up on me, I think Justice League Unlimited is the best DCAU show after B:TAS and maybe Batman Beyond. That show was masterful in expanding and exploring the DCAU and at highlighting characters I was not familiar with but grew to enjoy.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    mwhitt80 said:

For anyone that doesn't think that cartoon matters, if they were following the Ryan Reynolds movie promotion, they would know. There was a shockingly large number of people complaining that they made Green Lantern "white."

To a lot of folks, John was the only Green Lantern they knew, and it is entirely from that cartoon.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    For my money, I would prefer Hal. Only because it would mean that, if it works out and GL is a breakaway hit character, we might get other classic GL storys interpreted to the big screen. And that could mean introducing more earth GL's. (Which the GL animated series did FLAWLESSLY).

By the by, did anyone see the synopsis for Sandman yet? I found some info over on ShowBizy.

The Sandman
    Warner Bros. Pictures
    Feature Film
    SAG/AFTRA
    In Movie Theaters: To Be Announced (TBA)
    Director: Possibly Joseph Gordon-Levitt (TBA)
    Producers: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, David S. Goyer

The following listing is not casting notice, but instead reflect the best general information available about current production or casting assignments. NO POSTING ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PERSONAL BLOGGING OR ANY WEBSITE ABOUT THE PROJECT OR OTHER ACTORS IN THE SHOW.

ATTACHED: Joseph Gordon-Levitt

STORYLINE: An adaptation of the DC Comics title of the same name. Morpheus, the embodiment of dreams, is captured by an occult ritual and held prisoner for 70 years. He escapes in modern day and, after avenging himself upon his captors, sets about rebuilding his kingdom, which has fallen into disrepair in his absence. Morpheus finds the challenge of undoing past sins and changing old ways is an enormous one for a being who has been set in his ways for billions of years.