Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1476 Talkback - Off the Racks: Magnus Robot Fighter #1, Moon Knight #1, and Silver Surfer #1

2»

Comments

• JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Thoughts are with Jamie. I've listened to countless hours of that dude talk about comics, tv and pop culture in general. Get well.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Started listening to this episode on the way to work this morning and was concerned when Brian mentioned hospice. I see now the FB post that Jamie has passed. My heart breaks for his family and I pray they can find some sort of peace.
  • HistoryProfHistoryProf Posts: 6
    edited May 2014
    I only just listened to this episode today and then come on to ask a question about Moon Knight only to discover we lost Jamie D. Truly awful news - and that it happened so fast is frightening and all the sadder. My heart goes out to his friends and family. I don't participate here much, but I am a devoted listener. This news is just shocking.

*sigh*

That said, i'd like to echo @bralinator who noticed the comment that Moon Knight is to be a six issue series? can anyone confirm or deny this? MK has always been a favorite of mine, while Warren Ellis is my favorite writer. So I was overjoyed when I saw this in Previews. I would be very disappointed if it's only planned as a six issue mini series. Especially since the first two issues are stand alone stories. That doesn't seem to make sense. Could @Adam_Murdough have been wrong - perish the thought?
  • Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506

That said, i'd like to echo @bralinator who noticed the comment that Moon Knight is to be a six issue series? can anyone confirm or deny this? MK has always been a favorite of mine, while Warren Ellis is my favorite writer. So I was overjoyed when I saw this in Previews. I would be very disappointed if it's only planned as a six issue mini series. Especially since the first two issues are stand alone stories. That doesn't seem to make sense. Could @Adam_Murdough have been wrong - perish the thought?

Not only could I have been, Herr Professor--I was. (Not for the first time, either!) A quick survey of online reportage of the new MK series turns up no description of said series as "limited." I have no idea where I got the idea that it was planned as a six-issue mini, and I apologize for having mischaracterized it as such.

(Of course, if the series is cancelled after #6, or if Warren Ellis bows out as writer at that point, I'll have been proved retroactively [and accidentally] correct, and this apology will be immediately retracted. :P )
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2014
    Thank you for the clarification @Adam_Murdough. I consider you a 21st century Les Daniels, so when you said that I was a bit taken aback. Glad to know it is not PLANNED to be a limited series. Of course, with Marvel these days, almost anything could turn out to be a limited series.

(Of course, if the series is cancelled after #6, or if Warren Ellis bows out as writer at that point, I'll have been proved retroactively [and accidentally] correct, and this apology will be immediately retracted. :P )

We would expect nothing less sir.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Not only could I have been, Herr Professor--I was. (Not for the first time, either!) A quick survey of online reportage of the new MK series turns up no description of said series as "limited." I have no idea where I got the idea that it was planned as a six-issue mini, and I apologize for having mischaracterized it as such.

Or it could just suggest that you're now using that utterly "ginchy" time bubble in a more aggressive fashion.
  • HistoryProfHistoryProf Posts: 6
    edited May 2014

Thank you kindly for the the clarification my good man. No news has excited me more on the Marvel front than this Ellis/Moon Knight paring, so I am very happy to know it is at least going to get a shot at something approaching long term. Though these days that seems to be around 24 issues if we're lucky. Nonetheless, I have every faith that Mr. Ellis will wipe that bizarre Bendis entry from our memory banks soon enough, and he's off to a fantastic start. Here's to many more issues to come!

One thing I've noticed in the first two that I wonder if it will become a bit of an underlying theme is that so far both of the baddies have been disenchanted former S.H.I.E.L.D. agents who were left for dead/wronged/etc and come back for revenge. This seems particularly suited to Ellis's style, and I can't help but wonder if he's building to something bigger in an anti-establishment Ellis-esque Civil War kind of way. The possibilities are endless were that the case.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Still catching up. Nice to hear that almost everyone got to see Jamie before we lost him.
    Well, in a rare occasion, I actually read all of the Off the Racks this month.
    Moon Knight #1 BUY!: Loved the art and story, and I'm frustrated that I didn't order #2. Arrgh! (Oh, and I also loved what Warren Ellis did with New Universe(al).
    Silver Surfer #1: BUY! I didn't forget to order #2 on this one and I'm glad I did, but I'll have to re-read #1 to catch all the stuff you guys talked about.
    Magnus, Robot Fighter #1: BUYROW...I was actually a bit surprised how much I liked this one. I thought it was a very unusual take on a character I read a few issues of when he was at Gold Key.
    Daredevil 1.5? Aw, missed it!
    Bodie Troll? Hm, I have a friend named "Bodi!" I'll have to get that one just to show him!