Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Bombshells

124»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2014
    But it absolutely is the lowest common denominator that DC expects to gobble this up. I'm stunned anyone would act so elitist or proud that they wouldn't deign to be included in that category. Most male comic readers will find themselves in that category at one time or another.

This is an unoriginal, but attractive approach. Trendy maybe, but not "fine art", although you may consider the artwork to be fine. I'm kind of disappointed that that's what's being debated here. Comic geeks debate and argue using something called "hyperbole". I'd think we'd all be used to it without getting our feelings hurt.

Let the arrows fly...
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

But it absolutely is the lowest common denominator that DC expects to gobble this up. I'm stunned anyone would act so elitist or proud that they wouldn't deign to be included in that category. Most male comic readers will find themselves in that category at one time or another.

This is an unoriginal, but attractive approach. Trendy maybe, but not "fine art", although you may consider the artwork to be fine. I'm kind of disappointed that that's what's being debated here. Comic geeks debate and argue using something called "hyperbole". I'd think we'd all be used to it without getting our feelings hurt.

Let the arrows fly...

I can't find anything to disagree with. The images are "unoriginal" and are intended to appeal to men, although I'm sure there are women that will appreciate the many of the designs. They are not "fine art". Hell, they are the furthest thing from Fine Art.

So.

What I took exception to was the accusation that the images were somehow salacious and that those who liked them were borderline pedafile. It's my contention that the only connection that the Bombshell images have with DCnU characters is their name. If forum members want to apply continuity baggage to the images, then that's on them. Those that enjoy the images shouldn't be judged because one can't seperate Bombshell from DCnU.
  • Options
    grannygeeknessgrannygeekness Posts: 79
    edited May 2014
    I can only speak for myself, but I see these not as DC characters dressed up as "bombshells" but pin up and WWII art dressed up as DCish characters, if that makes any sense. So the Supergirl and Stargirl images bother me as little as seeing 20-30 something women cosplaying those characters. On the other hand, the adaptation of the "We Can Do It" poster did bother me quite a bit. For one thing, unlike the other original art pieces, that wasn't a "pin up" style poster, and for another, unlike the DC characters, the "Rosies" were real, and I've met quite a few. Sexing up their poster seems much more troubling to me than dressing up existing pin up images in bombshell versions of Supergirl and Stargirl's outfits. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Let the arrows fly...

*TWING*

Just kidding. I agree with the second part of your post. I don't agree with this part. If, by "Lowest Common Denominator" you're referring to the teenager (or older male with the mind of a teenager! :) ) looking to get his rocks off by staring at cheesecake - they have better options. And certainly more affordable ones. I honestly don't feel this statue/poster series is trying to appeal to that demographic. As mentioned - Ame-Comi perhaps might be a better target. Certainly that's something that went for the more prurient sex appeal (although the artwork and (some) of the statues were really good!)

If you're thinking of something else by LCD, perhaps that's it.

Also, thanks Grannygeekness for throwing in a different perspective on this. I'm assuming you're talking about the Wonder Woman Bombshell poster. I've seen a parody or three of the We Can Do It poster (not just from DC) and to be honest never knew much about Rosie the Riveter outside of what most of us are told in school if we were lucky enough to even have a lesson devoted to it.

• Options
    grannygeeknessgrannygeekness Posts: 79
    edited May 2014

It helps to live in the city that houses the Rosie the Riveter National Memorial and Museum. The Rosies are a big deal here, and we're very proud of them!
  • Options

It helps to live in the city that houses the Rosie the Riveter National Memorial and Museum. The Rosies are a big deal here, and we're very proud of them!

As you should be. Those ladies don't get the recognition they deserve.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited May 2014
    With all this talk around continuity baggage etc... You know what I'd love to happen?

I'd love to see these bombshell designs be given their own continuity. An 80 page 'Elseworlds' style book for these designs would be beautiful.

Surely it should just be a case of assigning a good writer (and maybe someone for layouts), and a year and let Ant Lucia just go for it. We know it would sell for sure.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    As long as DC could cobble some kind of story to justify it, I would be up for that.
    I would rather have an Adam Hughes or Terry Dodson illustrate.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Good thing they're not too authentic:

We were told today in an official Air Force briefing on Sexual Assault Prevention & Response by the base commander that Air Plane art like this while part of our history should not be considered part of Air Force or military "heritage" because it is sexist and offensive. It has no place in today's world.

• Options
    edited May 2014

We were told today in an official Air Force briefing on Sexual Assault Prevention & Response by the base commander that Air Plane art like this while part of our history should not be considered part of Air Force or military "heritage" because it is sexist and offensive. It has no place in today's world.

"Yeah? Well did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No!" :)

And yes, I can totally see someone in today's armed forces getting in a LOT of trouble having something like that on the side of the plane.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited May 2014
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Good thing they're not too authentic:

WTF!?!? GRANDMA!?!?

(Don't ask how I know what my grandma would look like naked with tata propellers, you perv. Just go with the joke.)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

Drunk Cap told me your grandma was a "goer".

What with all the Grandmas a'goin', it's amazing Cap had any time for Hitler-punching.
  • Options
    Which begs another question: On which day of Christmas do we get Grandmas a-Going?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Which begs another question: On which day of Christmas do we get Grandmas a-Going?

Drunk Cap just goes for all 12.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729

Flash is great, this is my favorite though.
  • Options
    If they make a poster out of the Flash one I'll totally be picking it up. Sadly, it's for Big Belly Burger getting a mention, not for the bombshell herself. :)
  • Options
    So this month has become a DC sampler month for me. Because of these bombshells I've picked a load of extra books I wouldn't normally get. This has returned some hits and misses. Here's what I've picked up this month bombshell wise...

Earth 2*
    Justice League United*
    Justice League Dark
    Aquaman
    Wonder Woman
    Harley Quinn
    Batwoman
    Batgirl
    Superman/Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern Corps
    The Flash

*those I usually get

Other then those I would normally get, I've really enjoyed Harley Quinn, a book that made me laugh more then once. Batgirl was kicking off a new arc and was really good too. Two books I'm going to add to my pull list. Superman/Wonder Woman also actually got me interested in a Superman story, that surprised me, and one I'm thinking about getting in trade... when it's eventually released. Also enjoyed JLD and Aquaman, two books I already get in trade, but always good to know I'm still liking the book.

This is another positive for this gimmick for me. Alongside the beautiful covers.

Anyone else discovered any new books off the back of this?
  • Options
    Quantum Mechanix - the people who release posters/prints of the bombshell art, just released both the Supergirl and Black Canary ones I'd been wanting.

https://store.qmxonline.com/DC-Comics_c_65.html

• Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    I saw Entertainment Earth also had the Supergirl print in stock, which is the only one I'm really interested in.
  • Options
    I love that Killer Frost statue. DC is actually doing what I'd hoped with these character designed.

I'm all over this whole concept.
  • Options