Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic Book Movies: Theatrical Releases - The List

2»

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Those Dark Horse Chronicles books have pretty crappy reproduction for the most part, and I didn't like the recoloring. At least the stories are good—certainly worth the $5.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    * after a title means I own it.

In a Theater
      American Splendor
      The Avengers
      Batman
      Batman Forever
      Batman & Robin
      Batman Begins
      The Dark Knight
      The Dark Knight Rises
      Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
      Blade
      Blade II
      Blade: Trinity
      Captain America: The First Avenger
      The Crow
      Daredevil
      Elektra
      Fantastic Four (2005)
      Flash Gordon
      From Hell
      Hellboy
      Hellboy II: The Golden Army
      Howard the Duck
      Hulk
      The Incredible Hulk
      The Mask
      Men in Black
      Sheena
      Sin City
      Spawn
      Spider-Man
      Spider-Man 2
      Spider-Man 3
      The Amazing Spider-Man
      Supergirl
      Superman
      Superman II
      Superman III
      Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
      Swamp Thing
      The Return of Swamp Thing
      Tales From the Crypt
      Tank Girl
      Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
      Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II
      Thor
      Timecop
      V for Vendetta
      Virus
      Watchmen
      X-Men
      X2
      X-Men: The Last Stand
      X-Men: First Class
      X-Men Origins: Wolverine
      The Wolverine
    Haven't seen.
      30 Days of Night
      300: Rise of an Empire
      Art School Confidential
      Barb Wire
      Batman Returns
      Bulletproof Monk
      Captain America: The Winter Soldier
      Cowboys & Aliens
      The Crow: City of Angels
      Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
      Ghost Rider
      Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
      Green Lantern
      I, Frankenstein
      Iron Man 2
      Iron Man 3
      Son of the Mask
      Men in Black 3
      Oblivion
      R.I.P.D.
      Red
      Red 2
      Richie Rich
      Road to Perdition
      Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
      The Smurfs
      The Smurfs 2
      The Spirit
      Steel
      Superman Returns
      Man of Steel
      Surrogates
      Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
      TMNT (2007, animated)
      Thor: The Dark World
      Whiteout
    Saw on DVD/VHS/Cable
      Captain America (1990)
      Catwoman
      Constantine
      Fritz the Cat
    *-Saw this at a revival showing,but they just projected a DVD so I don't count that.
      Heavy Metal (1981)
      Heavy Metal: 2000
      A History of Violence
      Iron Man
      Jonah Hex
      Josie and the Pussycats
      Judge Dredd
      Dredd 3D (2012)
      Kick-Ass
      Kick-Ass 2
      The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
      The Losers
      Men in Black II
      Monkeybone
      Mystery Men
      The Punisher (1989)
      The Punisher (2004)
      Punisher: War Zone
      The Rocketeer
      The Shadow
      Wanted

• Options

Tonebone said:

Tonebone said:

Ha... just being nitpicky... and I think Conan deserves to be on the list... after all, it isn't really a household name due to the novels, it's due to the Marvel comics and magazines.

I would argue with that and say the Frank Frazetta covers on the Lancer/Ace editions published in the late ’60s and ’70s pushed Conan into the spotlight much more than the comics ever did. Those covers sold a ton of Conan books that otherwise probably would have sat on the shelf. In fact, they were so popular that the first volume first published in ’67, had to be reprinted in ’68, ’69. ’70, ’71, twice in ’72, and ’73—then it got reprinted several more times once Ace took over after Lancer’s bankruptcy.

Despite that, I don't think Conan really become a household name (at least, not the way I think of the term “household name”) until the first movie in ’82.
    I can agree with the book legacy, but I don't think you would have had a Conan movie, if it were not for the mainstream "everyman" name recognition afforded it by the comics. Marvel put him on Slurpee cups, in newspaper strips, and Mego figures... the type of things the property would not have attained without the comics.

According to Wikipedia, Roy Thomas was the first writer involved in writing the screenplay, because of the success of the comics and magazines.

Maybe so, but Roy also has said that the reason Marvel did a Conan comic in the first place was because readers kept asking for it. And actually, Roy was brought in as a story consultant on the first film—he wrote up several pages of notes for the director, but had no input on the script. He was brought in not simply because he wrote the comic, but because he met the original producer, Ed Pressman, through a mutual friend. Roy put Pressman in touch with the Howard estate, and then Pressman brought in Roy as a story consultant. It wasn’t just because Roy was writing the comic, but also because Roy knew—and had adapted for the comic—the original stories.

The main reason Roy was asked to co-write (with Gerry Conway) the script for the second Conan film was because of the fact that he had already co-written (also with Conway) four other screenplays—by that point Roy was in L.A. working almost exclusively as a screenwriter. If he hadn’t had those screenplays under his belt, he might have been used as a consultant again, but he most likely wouldn't have been asked to write a script.

As for the Mego figure, the Conan and Tarzan figures were two of the worst sellers and both were discontinued relatively quickly. I don't know how widely circulated the Conan newspaper strip was, but I don't think it was a very large number of newspapers that carried it, though I could be wrong about that.

I'm not saying the Conan comic and mags made no impact—at its peak the comic sold about 250,000 copies, a pretty good number—but people painted those Frazetta covers on the sides of their vans. One of the original paintings sold for $1 million. Those paintings are credited as being largely responsible for the popularity of the sword-and-sorcery genre in the late ’60s and ’70s. I believe that without those covers, Conan never would have be made into a comic, and therefore never made into a newspaper strip, or a Slurpee™ cup, or a Mego doll. Or a movie.
    I tried like hell to find a picture of the Conan comics art painted on someone's van, but alas, I could not. :)

I appreciate your insight into all of this. Very interesting.

I had the Conan Mego figure, and it was hilarious.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Yes, it was awful...

The 7 Eleven Marvel Super Heroes Collectible Cups were quite awesome though...

I'm not convinced that the 60's/70's custom van craze is what put Conan in the minds of the general populace... I tried very hard to find an example of one, this is all I could find... may not even be Conan.

Not exactly a Conan van, but here is Thor...

I think from Boris Vallejo and Frazetta and the popular Molly Hatchet album covers to Roy Thomas's Conan for Marvel, it's hard to say what made the movie worth doing. I'm still leaning towards the comics.
  • Options

Those Dark Horse Chronicles books have pretty crappy reproduction for the most part, and I didn't like the recoloring. At least the stories are good—certainly worth the $5.

They could've been better reproduced, but when I hold the originals in my hands the Chronicles actually shine. They aren't as bad as the original newsprint floppies, though I would've preferred more traditional coloring. I agree that for $5 I couldn't pass them up (issues 10 - 12 covering most of the Bêlit era).

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited April 2014
    I remember seeing the "Frazetta Vans"; they usually came in a brown color. I was young, but I remember seeing them.

edit: I also remember seeing lots of "Wolf Vans" (also in brown, I guess thats the only color vans came in in the 70s and 80s).
  • Options

I'm not convinced that the 60's/70's custom van craze is what put Conan in the minds of the general populace... I tried very hard to find an example of one, this is all I could find... may not even be Conan.

I should clarify that I was using the van example to show that the Frazetta book covers were influencing pop culture, not that the vans themselves were, though they did contribute in some small way I suppose.
  • Options

They could've been better reproduced, but when I hold the originals in my hands the Chronicles actually shine. They aren't as bad as the original newsprint floppies, though I would've preferred more traditional coloring. I agree that for $5 I couldn't pass them up (issues 10 - 12 covering most of the Bêlit era).

In general, I don't like a glossy stock when reading comics. With only a scant few exceptions, I prefer a matte finish. I'm not saying I want comics to go back to the old cheap newsprint, but there are plenty of other options available.

The reproduction quality I was referring to was the actual line art. It's very obvious they weren't using the original art or the film shot from the original art for the reproductions.
  • Options

In general, I don't like a glossy stock when reading comics. With only a scant few exceptions, I prefer a matte finish. I'm not saying I want comics to go back to the old cheap newsprint, but there are plenty of other options available.

The reproduction quality I was referring to was the actual line art. It's very obvious they weren't using the original art or the film shot from the original art for the reproductions.
    Totally agree on the paper stock.. I hate glossy. I love the paper the Fourth World collections were printed on, and most of the Vertigo books are printed on. It has a soft, newsprinty warmth, but allows for crisp reproduction and color.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

Totally agree on the paper stock.. I hate glossy. I love the paper the Fourth World collections were printed on, and most of the Vertigo books are printed on. It has a soft, newsprinty warmth, but allows for crisp reproduction and color.
    Yep. The Y the Last Man Deluxe Edition hardcovers are my ideal—slightly oversized with fairly heavy weight, matte white paper stock with just a bit of tooth.
  • Options
    Just popped up in my iphone podcast feed: Episode 1482: Top 5 Comic Book Movies

Will be interesting to see what the Geeks think about some of these movies. It's been a while.
  • Options
    I can appreciate why Conan would be debated, but Red Sonja was created by Roy Thomas for the comic book and should be included in the list. Howard's Red Sonya (note the spelling) was a very different character in a "modern" time period.
  • Options
    Literally everyone forgets about not only the best Korean movie, but the best comic book movie ever made, in my opinion.

It's based on a manga (which isn't very good TBH) but the original 2003 Korean film is utterly unforgettable to anyone who has seen it. I wholeheartedly recommend it to any fan of cinema or crime fiction.