Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1490 Talkback - Comic Talk

Summertime, and the livin' is easy--and in the CGS Studio, we've got some comic talk to catch up on! Topics include the remarkable reading habits of Bryan's daughter Clara (hint: she's into superheroes), Pants' ongoing love affair with original art, early buzz concerning the upcoming San Diego convention, and other bits'n'bobs. (1:27:41)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2014
    Great episode thus far, guys. A couple of random comments:

* I'm totally with Bryan Deemer on listening to podcasts over music when working out. Music too often just becomes background noise, but podcasts force you to pay attention and take your mind off the pain. LOL!

* That having been said, gimme music over using the "iPod of my imagination"!

* Regarding The Walking Dead art going for $5k or so on eBay, just think, if you had 7 more, you'd be able to afford that guy's potato salad!

* How is it that @Adam_Murdough‌ doesn't know what a "Mentat" is? Have you never read Dune, Murd? For my money, it's the greatest sci-fi book of all-time. If not, forget bringing comics on your next Stone Harbor trip and pick up "Dune" instead!

* Anyone else curious as to why Shane has a passport on him at all times?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

* How is it that @Adam_Murdough‌ doesn't know what a "Mentat" is? Have you never read Dune, Murd? For my money, it's the greatest sci-fi book of all-time. If not, forget bringing comics on your next Stone Harbor trip and pick up "Dune" instead!

Agreed

* Anyone else curious as to why Shane has a passport on him at all times?

Things we know we can rule out: spy, jet setting playboy, and international Kingpin.

Things that might still be in play: drug mule, Canadian toliet smuggler, or he's waiting on some reality tv show to cast him off the streets.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    mwhitt80 said:

Things that might still be in play: drug mule, Canadian toliet smuggler, or he's waiting on some reality tv show to cast him off the streets.

Thinking about it, perhaps he keeps his passport handy in the unlikely event he's offered membership in his all-time favorite club?

Hard to be "International" when you're only capable of patrolling the greater Reading area. #bwahaha

• Options
    Shane's going to want to kill us.
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    Maybe it is all a ruse and I am a jet setting kingpin spy and my under cover name is Sean M Keller who secretly IS Blue Beetle in the JLI. To keep me safe my superiors instructed DC to kill off Ted Kord in the books and throw all enemies off my trail.

AND.... if I did fly those same enemies would pick up my trail. However, I always have a passport with me because you never know when you may need to jam!
  • Options
    We all know you are a member of JLR. On the brightside it's better than gnort's league membership
  • Options
    Haha, funny thing is one Halloween a bunch of us were at my house dressed as various comic book characters and a picture was taken. For my birthday the following year one of our friends, Jon, blew it up and attached to it Justice League Reading in a class of whatever year type photo. I will have to try and dig it out and post it.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    If you like the Gilbert Gottfried podcast you should check out The Carson Podcast where celebs, comedians, crew members, etc discuss working with Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show, Recent guests include: Carl Reiner, Carol Burnett, Rich Little, Florence Henderson, Kevin Nealon, and more. It's full of real show business lore.

http://carsonpodcast.com/
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Thanks Pete. The Gilbert Gottfried podcast is great stuff.
    @JaxUr, thanks for the link to the Carson podcast. I'll be all over that, too.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    JaxUr said:

If you like the Gilbert Gottfried podcast you should check out The Carson Podcast where celebs, comedians, crew members, etc discuss working with Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show, Recent guests include: Carl Reiner, Carol Burnett, Rich Little, Florence Henderson, Kevin Nealon, and more. It's full of real show business lore.

http://carsonpodcast.com/

Shut the front door! ^:)^

I did not need more things to distract me, but this sounds absolutely awesome. An episode chatting with Peter Lassally? Yes please!
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Pants: You are the perfect guy for a Letterman podcast!
  • Options
    Not sure which of the guys said he was planning to visit Acadia this week, but regarding Cadillac Mountain, I'm assuming you are planning to run on the auto road? That would be the only run-able route, and even then, I think you might find it a tough ascent (the road circles around several times but you're still climbing 1,000 feet in the span of 3.5 miles). None of the three major foot trails leading to the top would allow for running as they are pretty steep and, at times, treacherous.

That said, if you have the time, I would definitely recommend that you consider hiking the North Ridge Trail instead of running the auto road. It is classified as a "moderate" hike, so you'll still get a decent workout. The views are beyond spectacular. I think it is about 2.2 miles from the trailhead. If you are traveling with others and don't feel like hiking down the trail from the summit, you could have one member of your party drive up the auto road and then you can ride back down with them.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Maine. I'm in Portland. Assuming you will be passing through as is it is difficult not to. If you need any recommendations for food (or comics) let me know. I'm traveling for work most of the next two weeks, but on the off-chance that I'm here, I'd love to buy you lunch if you have the time and inclination.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I really enjoyed this episode. I love how Bryan's daughter is just into reading not just comics but just about anything.

And these last few weeks it's been nice hearing Peter,Pants and Bryan back on the show. And of course Murd, Shane and Chris. Hopefully we'll hear from Kevin and Matt.

Of course Jamie's voice is sorely missed but maybe his final gift to the show is he brings the Geeks together on a regular basis
  • Options
    DAR, I agree with all of your statements :)
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    "And these last few weeks it's been nice hearing Peter,Pants and Bryan back on the show. And of course Murd, Shane and Chris. Hopefully we'll hear from Kevin and Matt."

There it is. No Kickstarters for traveling, cons, meet the geeks, ect. Tell us what we need to do to fund this show to go ANOTHER 10 years, 3 days a week, with nearly a full roster.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Let me throw out a suggestion for the 10 year tour. Appleseed Con in Fort Wayne, IN. Organizer Zack Kruse is a friend of the show. Geeks from about four states can attend. Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Michigan. Its 3 hours from Detroit area. Its a 9 hour trip but its worth it. And the night before the show DCBS has their gently dented comic sale at I think 75% off. That pays for the trip there! I know you guys talked about going in the past. It's the weekend after Mother's Day.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Let me throw out a suggestion for the 10 year tour. Appleseed Con in Fort Wayne, IN. Organizer Zack Kruse is a friend of the show. Geeks from about four states can attend. Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Michigan. Its 3 hours from Detroit area. Its a 9 hour trip but its worth it. And the night before the show DCBS has their gently dented comic sale at I think 75% off. That pays for the trip there! I know you guys talked about going in the past. It's the weekend after Mother's Day.

This.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, GREAT show with almost all the geeks present and so many topics discussed! Let's see, I'll throw my 10-Year-Annivesary-Tour suggestion out there: Do a Kickstarter and you guys can all come to Japan! We'll have a meet up and...Uh, let's see, me and that guy who lives in South Korea will show up. (Just kidding of course!) Anyways, since I'm kinda on the outside looking in, I'll wait to see where the dust settles concerning your tour schedule. Since I've been listening to your show since 2006, I feel like I need to celebrate along with you somehow. So right now...I guess in the spring I could spend a lot of money and go to Pennsylvania or I could go to London. Or I can wait and see what you guys plan for the August/September time frame. Alright, besides that, looking forward to hearing Uncle Sal soon!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    A really great show guys.

I don't know why but the potato salad kickstarter annoys me to no end. No matter how much thought I put into it, the whole thing just greatly perturbs me.

It was really cool to hear that Deemer found Beasts of War. I knew he was into board games and I should have thought of suggesting it.
  • Options
    Guys I just finished the episode. Great show; I loved that everyone was there (well almost everyone). It got me jazzed.

Thanks CGS it really was a great episode. The march to the big tenth anniversary continues forward. One episode at a time.
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    I'm gonna miss seeing you out in San Diego, too, Brian. I'll buy a 52 page in your honor. And never sell it to you. BWAHAHAHAHAAAAaaaa.
  • Options
    ChrisMurrin, your comment just made me laugh out loud!

Never fear though, Pants will find something you like to dangle in front of you, isn't that right Pants :)
  • Options
    UnknownFanboyUnknownFanboy Posts: 88
    edited July 2014
    If you are looking for a great running App check out Zombies, Run it is like MapMyFitness but you do "missions" and in between you playlist songs there are some dialogue from your mission control.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The Cameron Stewart/Brendan Fletcher/Babs Tarr Batgirl looks all kinds of awesome, and Gotham Academy piques my interest, too. And Grayson was fun, I'll probably be back for issue two.

It's weird but awesome that not only are we starting to see these sorts of projects sprouting up in the midst of what I've come to call the Gloom 52, but that they're coming out of the Batman neck of the woods, which has had its highlights but also been mostly downbeat and stuck in the cycle of endless crossovers.

Hopefully this sort of sea change sticks and that the cynical "comics for 40 year old men only" approach is going by the wayside.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Thanks for reading my e-mail about the 10 year con tour! I guess it wasn't as much of a hit as I was hoping, I wasn't thinking of it as being "top 5 money getters is where the geeks will be," but more of a here is where we are going, if you want to donate awesome. Deemer's numbers do prove it may be unfeasable, I just thought if you guys could raise enough money it would be a neat idea. And EVERYone doesn't have to come to each city, but that would be sweet. Whatever you decide on I'll support it!
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited July 2014
    Are you guys going to be playing any of the voicemails in your queue from prior to Jamie's passing? I remember I left one but I haven't heard it on the show yet.

Not asking for it to be played, especially considering I'm not certain if I left it specifically for Jamie or not. Just curious as to if it WILL be played so that, if not, I can call in again in the future and re-leave some of the voicemails points in a future voicemail (with new content of course).

^Believe me, I felt weird just TYPING all of that....
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Always great listening to the gang just shoot the breeze about comics. This was no exception to that rule!
  • Options
    seb_pinterseb_pinter Posts: 50
    Looking forward to the possibility of a cgs party in London!
  • Options
    seb_pinterseb_pinter Posts: 50
    hearing Pants talk about original art has reminded me of this years LSCC, sat in the pub with him and his friend (who's name escapes me) talking about recent art acquisitions and finding out they'd almost got into a bidding war with each other over a page from JLA/Avengers :)
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I think that The Avengers movie was a bigger gamble for Marvel than Guardians of the Galaxy is. Guardians isn't any bigger of a gamble than any sci-fi movie is. I know Shane said that he never expected a Guardians movie, but Marvel has to dig deep for movies now because they don't have any "big names" to use outside of the Avengers.

X-Men, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four are with other studios. And sure, Marvel can make movies with individual Avengers members and they've been doing a great job of it. Btu if that Avengers movie would have flopped than they would have had no where else to go. If Guardians flops they can still go back to The Avengers.

On other note, a few episodes ago someone mentioned how Marvel won't support the next FF movie, and won't even publish a FF comic when the movie is released. I wonder if that is a power play by Marvel to try and get Fox to give up the FF movie license.