Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Who is the forum member that worked on the Avengers' SFX? It would be interesting to hear if he worked on Guardians.

I worked on The Avengers, but I did not work on Guardians. ILM did not work on this film.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I may have to go see this a third time. Twice wasn't enough. I should probably watch it again to make sure it was as fun and action packed and as I thought it was.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    hehehe...pelvic sorcerey, cracks me up every time.
  • Options
    I saw the movie this weekend and absolutely LOVED it. It is honestly my top Marvel movie to date. I know it's new and fresh in my mind, so many people think that is why I might be saying that, but it's not. I have been thinking about the movie since I saw it and I want to see it again while it's in the theaters (something I almost never do).

This movie just had everything I wanted and more. In the first 10 minutes when Starlord is doing his dancing and singing to "Come and Get Your Love", I knew that I was in for a really fun ride. Singing into that ratline creature was hilarious. It only got better from there. This movie had humor, action on an epic level, a lot of heart, and a fantastic cast of characters.

I have been reading these characters since Annihilation started and I have gone back to read a lot of their past stories. I have been reading the classic Guardians of the Galaxy through the trades Marvel has been releasing and enjoying those as well. So I was pumped when I saw this movie was coming out.

I loved all of the references from the Ninja Turtle comment, to the outlaw John Stamos, to the legend of Footloose. It was all just great. Groot dancing at the end was hilarious and fun, which could be said about the whole movie. Loved Rocket tricking Quill into getting the guy's leg. So many great moments. I didn't have a weak character. Many people have said Ronan came across as the weakest, but I saw him as a real threat. He had at times a Darth Vader thing about him. The post credit scene with Howard was awesome. I saw that some people were disappointed with that because they wanted something bigger to lead into Avengers 2, but to me this whole movie was a lead into Avengers 3 (or whichever one the Infinity Guantlet is going to be in).

I could go on and on and on about how much I loved it. My ONLY disappointment was when it ended....I wanted to follow them on more adventures. I am Groot!!
  • Options
    RickM said:

WetRats said:

RickM said:

At the same time, I do think this movie is aimed at fluent comic readers to an almost absurd degree. I'm not conversant in Marvel Cosmic information, nor do I know the full background of Nova, the Kree, Thanos, etc., but the film gives virtually no exposition of who these people are and why they are important and how they link up. Give me a stack of the Thanos/Marvel Cosmic titles going all the way back to the mid-70s and then let me watch this movie again, and I swear I pick up many more references and enjoy the movie much more. And I guess that would be a criticism of the entire thing. Other properties (Jason Bourne, James Bond, etc.) don't require prior knowledge of their texts to nearly the same degree.

I don't think knowing all that stuff is necessary to anybody but dorks like us.

For everyone else, it's just flavor and rich atmosphere.
    Maybe. I just get the feeling that when I sit with my wife and we watch this on DVD, she'll be asking "What's Nova? Who are the Kree? What's the deal with Thanos? Why is his blue daughter so pissy? Who is Ronan -- a second bad guy?"

There are decades of Marveldom in this movie. In some places, you don't need to know all that back material; but in other places, you kinda do.
    I could see my wife doing that also, but only because she knows that I am a big comic reader and might know the answers. If I saw this with her and said that I don't know these characters or their backstory, she wouldn't ask me and I think would still enjoy it without knowing those things.

I was going to reference the whole Star Wars with Clone Wars and The Force that we never fully understood, but just enjoyed. I thought that was an excellent comparison.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2014
    Mr_Cosmic said:

This goes back to Avengers.

I'm not sure if it's hokey but it does provide visual continuity for casual fans("hey! I remember that guy from the end of Avengers!") Also, Thanos tends to like floating chairs.

Yeah, I know. I thought it was hokey in Avengers too. Although I guess, looking at it another way, I can just blame Josh Whedon for it, since James Gunn had to play the hand he was dealt.

• Options
    A few trivia facts about the movie that I found on IMDB and thought would be fun to share:

Three of the creatures seen in the cages of the Collector's base are a Dark Elf from Thor: The Dark World, a Chitauri from The Avengers, and a slug creature from director James Gunn's previous movie he had directed, Slither.

Director James Gunn has confirmed, via Twitter, that Peter Quill's ship in the film is named The Milano after Alyssa Milano, Peter Quill's childhood crush.

A cameo is made by Marvel character 'Howard the Duck', whom had his own movie with a US release of August 1st, 1986. Twenty-three years later, Guardians of the Galaxy's US released takes place on August 1st, 2014.

Rocket(voiced by Bradley Cooper) makes fun of Quill's knapsack, calling it a purse. In The Hangover (2009), Bradley Cooper(Phil) makes fun of Alan's satchel, calling it a purse. (I love little things tossed in like that)

According to James Gunn, Star-Lord's obscene gesture was an improvisation by Chris Pratt.
  • Options

Rocket(voiced by Bradley Cooper) makes fun of Quill's knapsack, calling it a purse. In The Hangover (2009), Bradley Cooper(Phil) makes fun of Alan's satchel, calling it a purse. (I love little things tossed in like that)

I'm an idiot. I immediately thought of "The Hangover" but didn't make the Bradley Cooper connection.

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Webhead said:

Saw it, liked it a lot, but.......

I did not like Michael Rooker in this film, it felt like I was watching Merle Dixon with a blue face. I've seen him in a lot of other roles and I know he can act but in GotG he seemed like he was recycling his portrayal of Merle and using it for Yondu. I do not blame Michael Rooker, this obviously falls on the director.

One of the first things my wife said to me after the film was "I thought it was funny that he basically just did Merle with blue skin." I wouldn't be surprised if those were the very instructions given him by the director.
  • Options
    Thanks, @Mr_Cosmic‌. I think I'm in the process of doing a 180 on the topic.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I normally don't like 3D movies but this one is worth splurging on. Really well done.

I saw it in IMAX 3D, and it was easily the best 3D I've seen in years.
  • Options
    I left this off my "Things I Loved About It" list, but how could you not like a movie with not 1, but *2*, Kevin Bacon references!
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    "Spirit in the Sky" was in some of the trailers, I believe, but not in the final movie.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

What's Nova? An alien policeman.
    Who are the Kree? Aliens.
    What's the deal with Thanos? Big, bad alien. Ronan's boss.
    Who is Ronan -- a second bad guy? Kree fanatic. --Yes, like in many, many movies.
    Why is his blue daughter so pissy? Designed that way.

I don't know. My wife doesn't read comics and she liked it a lot...no questions.

My wife had no questions afterward, and she loved the movie. She didn't even remember that Thanos had been in Avengers, and it still didn't matter to her.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    i loved the movie... but it does feel the bigwigs made sure to replicate some successful parts of other movies...

i thought the opening sequence took a page out of Disney's Up.. and i thought it worked very effectively... it instantly made me care about Quill...

and when Groot stuck his branches into the 2 rows bad guys and whipped them around... it was similar to when the Hulk smashed Loki back n forth in the Avengers

nothing wrong with that... just the bigwigs probably told the writers... hey... remember that scene in X movie... that was great... can you do something similar?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    bamfbamf said:

i loved the movie... but it does feel the bigwigs made sure to replicate some successful parts of other movies...

i thought the opening sequence took a page out of Disney's Up.. and i thought it worked very effectively... it instantly made me care about Quill...

and when Groot stuck his branches into the 2 rows bad guys and whipped them around... it was similar to when the Hulk smashed Loki back n forth in the Avengers

nothing wrong with that... just the bigwigs probably told the writers... hey... remember that scene in X movie... that was great... can you do something similar?

Rocket being able to understand Groot...like Han and Chewie. Though, this goes back to the comics.

Thanos as a hologram in front of Ronan...like the Emperor and Vader.

You can find lots of things if you look for them..but I think you can say that for all movies.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Mr_Cosmic said:

This goes back to Avengers.

I'm not sure if it's hokey but it does provide visual continuity for casual fans("hey! I remember that guy from the end of Avengers!") Also, Thanos tends to like floating chairs.

Yeah, I know. I thought it was hokey in Avengers too. Although I guess, looking at it another way, I can just blame Josh Whedon for it, since James Gunn had to play the hand he was dealt.

Blame Jim Starlin.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Wish list for GotG 2?

More Cosmo
    Bug
    Mantis
    Warlock
    Mar-Vell
    More Celestials
    Blue and Red uniforms from DnA's run
    Universal Church of Truth

• Options
    Surprised Moviegoers Are Treated to a Different Guardians Movie
    Imagine sitting down to your first screening of Guardians of the Galaxy. Picture it? Now imagine that when the movie starts to play, it's DreamWorks Animation's Rise of the Guardians.

This is exactly what happened to surprised moviegoers when they sat down to watch Guardians of the Galaxy at a Regal Cinemas in Virginia last week.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    edited August 2014

Which makes me wonder what the eventual plan is regarding the Infinity Gems... we saw one of those transferred to the Collector at the end of last year's Thor movie (which means that it's now lying somewhere in the rubble, if it hasn't been picked up by someone else afterwards) and now one is locked in a safe at Nova Corps HQ. Will we be seeing the others pop up in the next few movies... and where will this eventually lead? To Thanos and the Gauntlet?

And don't forget that one gem is on Asgard since Thor took it back with him and Loki at the end of The Avengers. What we thought was the Cosmic Cube turns out to be an Infinity Gem taking on a different form. Like the ooze in Thor: The Dark World.

I'm also very interested to see where/how the Thanos story will come to the front.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    sandman said:

Which makes me wonder what the eventual plan is regarding the Infinity Gems... we saw one of those transferred to the Collector at the end of last year's Thor movie (which means that it's now lying somewhere in the rubble, if it hasn't been picked up by someone else afterwards) and now one is locked in a safe at Nova Corps HQ. Will we be seeing the others pop up in the next few movies... and where will this eventually lead? To Thanos and the Gauntlet?

And don't forget that one gem is on Asgard since Thor took it back with him and Loki at the end of The Avengers. What we thought was the Cosmic Cube turns out to be an Infinity Gem taking on a different form. Like the ooze in Thor: The Dark World.

I'm also very interested to see where/how the Thanos story will come to the front.

Right, we have three so far: "The Orb," The Tesseract, and The Aether.

Thanos doesn't really seem to be any closer to owning them(Though some wonder if The Collector isn't working for Thanos and hasn't already handed The Aether off to him). Having The Orb locked up with the Novas seems to be a major setback.

Where the other three are is fun for speculation. I could almost see them do something like having Ultron powered by some crystal Stark found...who knows?

Also, how do the gems/stones we know about relate to the ones in the comics?

Power Gem
    Space Gem
    Mind Gem
    Reality Gem
    Time Gem
    Soul Gem

The three we've seen in the movies are pretty much all just very destructive and I can't see much a difference between them.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Surprised Moviegoers Are Treated to a Different Guardians Movie

Imagine sitting down to your first screening of Guardians of the Galaxy. Picture it? Now imagine that when the movie starts to play, it's DreamWorks Animation's Rise of the Guardians.

This is exactly what happened to surprised moviegoers when they sat down to watch Guardians of the Galaxy at a Regal Cinemas in Virginia last week.
    That happened to a few of the Regals in the Seattle area as well. Fortunately, I didn't see it there this weekend. (Although I had seen the sneak screening last week at a Regal... no problems there.)
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Wish list for GotG 2?

More Cosmo
    Bug
    Mantis
    Warlock
    Mar-Vell
    More Celestials
    Blue and Red uniforms from DnA's run
    Universal Church of Truth

I was a little disappointed (but not in a big way) that we didn't get to see the Supreme Intelligence, given that the Kree were in this. Maybe next time, since I don't think we're done with the Kree just yet.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    James Gunn said it was the POWER gem in GOTG...

i guess they are not following the color scheme of the comics

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Did the same theater show an "I Love Lucy" DVD instead of the Scarlett Johannson film? Seriously, how do you accidently show the wrong, two-year-old movie?