Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Late to the Party: Comics that have come and gone but you just read.

I am actually in the middle of reading Captain America: The Winter Soldier for the first time. I am about half way through it and I wanted to comment on how sad and kind of jarring the Jack Monroe story was in the middle of the trade. I understood that he was losing his mind from the very beginning of the book but the ending showing just how far gone he really was before he died was not what I expected. The whole druglord/Ice Cream truck driver scene at the end of that story made me push the book back and just

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Jack Monroe issue was great. Hell, Bru's entire run was mind blowingly great.
  • Options
    I can say 80% of what I've read had passed me by the first time around.

I just finished Captain Britain and MI:13, an excellent if slightly unsatisfying (only because they never got the chance to really explore the central concept of the book before it was cancelled) read.

I'm also in the middle of Fear Agent which has been loads of fun.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I finally read Sandman last year.
  • Options
    "Empire" by Mark Waid
    "Pax Romana" by Jim Hickman
    "The Authority Revolution" by Ed Brubaker
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I just read "Hulk: Future Imperfect"
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Here's a few DC goodies from a few years back that I read after they were cancelled. These are all great comics. I did buy the All New Atom when Mike Norton got on it, but never read it (I love the Crankcast).

Simon Dark
    ShadowPact
    Checkmate
    The All New Atom
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The Jack Monroe issue was great. Hell, Bru's entire run was mind blowingly great.

In trades, where do I go for the next part of the Bru run? I really want to keep going with the WS story
  • Options
    Sonofthor said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

In trades, where do I go for the next part of the Bru run? I really want to keep going with the WS story
    Marvel did a horrible job of packaging Bru's Cap run, because they didn't bother to number it in any sensible way. I had to sit on Amazon's website and read the descriptions to get the proper order and write out which trade followed which. So one trade contains issues 13-17, and you have to find the trade that contains 18-23 to get the next part of the story. Further complicating everything is that the series goes back to original numbering (#600) halfway through.

Brubaker also wrote some Cap mini-series during this period, which I purchased, but I'm not sure where they fit chronologically. Ugh.

• Options
    RickM said:

Sonofthor said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Marvel did a horrible job of packaging Bru's Cap run, because they didn't bother to number it in any sensible way. I had to sit on Amazon's website and read the descriptions to get the proper order and write out which trade followed which. So one trade contains issues 13-17, and you have to find the trade that contains 18-23 to get the next part of the story. Further complicating everything is that the series goes back to original numbering (#600) halfway through.

Brubaker also wrote some Cap mini-series during this period, which I purchased, but I'm not sure where they fit chronologically. Ugh.

NOOOOOOO... I really dont have the wallet to read the whole Bru run in singles :(
  • Options
    You misunderstood me. Everything is in trade, but its not numbered. For example, I reached a stopping point on Cap, and I had to do some detective work to figure out that the next trade I needed was titled "The Man With No Face."

Meanwhile, Marvel packaged Morrison's X-Men run into seven collections, numbered 1-7. Easy.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I didn't read Queen & Country until it was through with its run (unless Rucka (PLEASE!) makes more of them).

Or pretty much anything from the early Ultimates.

Or Slott's She-Hulk

Have read (and love) all these things now
  • Options
    RickM said:

You misunderstood me. Everything is in trade, but its not numbered. For example, I reached a stopping point on Cap, and I had to do some detective work to figure out that the next trade I needed was titled "The Man With No Face."

Meanwhile, Marvel packaged Morrison's X-Men run into seven collections, numbered 1-7. Easy.

Oh ok gotcha, I will PM you and get your help getting a list put together :)
    Thanks for the help so much
  • Options
    Brubaker's Cap run...I read it monthly but if you're doing trades:

Captain America:

1) Winter Soldier 1
    2) Winter Soldier 2
    3) Red Menace 1
    4) Red Menace 2
    5) Civil War: Captain America
    6) Death of Captain America vol 1: Death of a Dream
    7) DoCA vol 2: The Burden of Dreams
    8) DoCA vol 3: The Man Who Bought America
    9) The Man With No Face
    10) The Road to Reborn
    11) Reborn
    12) Two Americas
    13) No Escape
    14) The Trial of Captain America

There are larger collections but those are the TPBs of the main series.

• Options
    Question: Was there also a Winter Soldier title that Bru wrote? Does it pick up after Cap trade #14 (The Trial of Cap) or did that comic start up a little earlier, while Bru was still on Cap also?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I forgot that after "Trial" CA was relaunched with Bru and McNiven..there are three volumes. They are titled Captain America volume (1-3).
    RickM said:

Question: Was there also a Winter Soldier title that Bru wrote? Does it pick up after Cap trade #14 (The Trial of Cap) or did that comic start up a little earlier, while Bru was still on Cap also?

Yes.

Winter Soldier: The Longest Winter
    Winter Soldier: Broken Arrow
    Winter Soldier: Black Widow Hunt

I believe they take place following "Trial" and during the Bru/McNiven relaunch.

I felt that after the relaunch the magic was gone with Bru on Cap but the Winter Soldier series is really good...I'd almost suggest skipping the relaunch and just sticking with WS.

• Options
    I am saving all of these titles to a file for future purchases :)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I am just now getting into Stray Bullets.

And I should have been on that a LONG time ago.
  • Options
    I've finally started reading Miracleman by "original writer". I finished the first story arc A dream of flying (issues 1-4 in the Marvel reprints). I'm enjoying the book so far, but it is still way to early in this run to have any idea of what's going on.

However... The Warpsmiths stories are ridiculous. I've read the first 2 and they make 0 sense (in the first one you could follow the story at least). It's gibberish with art.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

However... The Warpsmiths stories are ridiculous. I've read the first 2 and they make 0 sense (in the first one you could follow the story at least). It's gibberish with art.

The drugs were better back then.
  • Options
    They must have been.

I like the Mircaleman story; I've not gotten to some the more infamous parts of Miracleman, but they have been hinted at. I'll probably read the next storyarc in a day or 2.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

They must have been.

I like the Mircaleman story; I've not gotten to some the more infamous parts of Miracleman, but they have been hinted at. I'll probably read the next storyarc in a day or 2.

I'm right there with you. I'm reading the series for the first time and I'm up to issue #9.

I've also just started on Tomb of Dracula. I'm up to issue #7 or 8. Pretty cool stuff...amazing art of course.

• Options
    @mwhitt80, @Mr_Cosmic: I'm very happy to hear about y'all reading Miracleman.

I very much look forward to hearing your reactions to next few issues.

BTW: I've heard people ask why they used the Miracleman title instead of Marvelman. I believe that eventually plan to introduce Marvelman into the 616, and reprinting this series as Miracleman will lessen the confusion.

BTW2: Those of you reading this for the first time may now understand why I was so underwhelmed by The Sentry.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I just got the first volume of The Complete Elfquest.

I had never read any of it. At all.

Next convention, I'm going to up Wendy and Richard to apologize for the last 30 years of my ignorance in not supporting them sooner.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I just got the first volume of The Complete Elfquest.

I had never read any of it. At all.

Next convention, I'm going to up Wendy and Richard to apologize for the last 30 years of my ignorance in not supporting them sooner.

I was shocked when DC did a nice reprint of it and there wasn't word one in fandom about it. It's almost as if the large, fervent fans of that series just left comics altogether, and DC thought they would sell themselves. I LOVED the 20 issue first series, but once they brought other people into their universe...I drifted away as it read like fan-fic.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I forgot that after "Trial" CA was relaunched with Bru and McNiven..there are three volumes. They are titled Captain America volume (1-3).

RickM said:

Yes.

Winter Soldier: The Longest Winter
    Winter Soldier: Broken Arrow
    Winter Soldier: Black Widow Hunt

I believe they take place following "Trial" and during the Bru/McNiven relaunch.

I felt that after the relaunch the magic was gone with Bru on Cap but the Winter Soldier series is really good...I'd almost suggest skipping the relaunch and just sticking with WS.

A Brubake Winter Soldier complete edition just came out.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    John Byrne's "Next Men"

Crazy. Being a ridiculous Byrne fan, I can't believe I never read it.
    I think when it first came out I was pretty broke, and it looked like an X-Men rip off, so I passed, and never bothered to look at it closely again. I picked up the first black & white collected trade at a Con a couple of seasons back (just for the Byrne art), and really got hooked. Liked it in trades... I don't think I would have been able to keep track if I went with monthly floppies.
  • Options
    Batman Earth One.

It's been sitting on my shelf for quite a while and I finally got around to it.

3 out of 5 stars. Fair story. Fair art. A little underwhelming. Good dialogue, but the characters seemed pretty flat to me. Did nothing to add to the 'real' original of the batman we all know and love.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I've finally started reading Miracleman by "original writer". I finished the first story arc A dream of flying (issues 1-4 in the Marvel reprints). I'm enjoying the book so far, but it is still way to early in this run to have any idea of what's going on.

I found Miracleman/Marvelman to be so much less than the masterpiece it has been hailed to be. I guess not being available for 30 years really makes it seem like forbidden fruit.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

mwhitt80 said:

I found Miracleman/Marvelman to be so much less than the masterpiece it has been hailed to be. I guess not being available for 30 years really makes it seem like forbidden fruit.

Im starting to feel that way about it; it's very good. But it is not going to break into my top 5 moore books. That might sound like a knock against it, but as we can all agree moore wrote some fantastic comics.

I am very happy to be reading it in comics form though, and I am not disappointed with my purchase.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited September 2014
    mwhitt80 said:

Tonebone said:

mwhitt80 said:

Im starting to feel that way about it; it's very good. But it is not going to break into my top 5 moore books. That might sound like a knock against it, but as we can all agree moore wrote some fantastic comics.

I am very happy to be reading it in comics form though, and I am not disappointed with my purchase.
    Might be because I was reading it as it came out,but I find Miracleman to be some of Moore's best work. And Gaiman's best comic work. And I know this isn't a popular opinion,but Sandman to me is so over-rated. Half of it is great.The other half feels like badly written tripe just to pad out the series.

The late to the party comic for me is Stormwatch. When it first came out I ignored it. Figuring it would be another X-men ripoff with horrible Jim Lee clone artwork,and I am not a fan of Jim Lee's art.

Then 2 years ago at a con I got the trades that reprinted Ellis run on Stormwatch. Loved them so much I have been tracking down all the non Ellis issues. Finished my set a month ago and been slowly reading them. This is much better than any other team book coming out from Image back then.

Another is,and yes I know people will laugh or think I am crazy,Supreme. When it started I read the first 4 or so issues and dropped it. Came back when Moore took over and loved it. So over the course of 4 years I got a complete run of Supreme. Sure the non-Moore stuff isn't award winning,but it is much better than I expected.