Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Which Female Marvel Superheroine Can Carry Her Own Film?

Comments

• Options

Black Widow... possibly to tie-in with Captain America 3... forge a relationship with her and Bucky?

Captain Marvel: Somewhere in Phase 4, after GotG 2/Avengers 3. Kree tech ends up in the hands of SWORD/SHIELD (whatever is left), Carol Danvers is a former Air Force pilot who now works with SWORD who dreams of flying in space. Accident with Kree psyche-magnetron infuses her body with Kree DNA, giving her flight, strength, energy blasts. Conflict with Kree over psyche-magnetron and Carol herself.

She-Hulk would work better as a Netflix series.

I would love to see She Hulk as a TV series! Although hopefully it wouldn't end up like a green Ally MacBeal!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Black Widow... possibly to tie-in with Captain America 3... forge a relationship with her and Bucky?

Captain Marvel: Somewhere in Phase 4, after GotG 2/Avengers 3. Kree tech ends up in the hands of SWORD/SHIELD (whatever is left), Carol Danvers is a former Air Force pilot who now works with SWORD who dreams of flying in space. Accident with Kree psyche-magnetron infuses her body with Kree DNA, giving her flight, strength, energy blasts. Conflict with Kree over psyche-magnetron and Carol herself.

She-Hulk would work better as a Netflix series.

I would love to see She Hulk as a TV series! Although hopefully it wouldn't end up like a green Ally MacBeal!
    Why not?

Ally McBeal was a clever, well-written show with an amazing supporting cast.

Yes, it eventually lost direction, but the first couple seasons were damn fine television.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    RepoMan said:

Not sure why it's so hard for some to just accept that it's not only us white men who want to see movies. Haha.

All of the historical data backs up what I've said. Not sure why it's so hard for some people to accept that there is some merit to what I've already explained. It is business and it is based on past performance, which, in spite of any fanboy insistence otherwise, IS a very good indicator of future performance. If you have a better explanation as to why the studios don't wish to green light these films instead of insisting that you want to see them, I'm all ears.

It may be fun to spitball ideas about which property would be best suited for a feature film and all of that, I myself offered a few that I thought were perfect, but I won't pretend that I know better than the studio execs with the successful track records (in Marvel studios' case) on which heroes to promote to the leads in their films. I'm simply offering an educated guess as to why it is the way it is. I'm quite surprised that my assessment has been met with such repulsion.

Seems the only other reason for a lack of female hero movies that's been offered here is because Marvel is simply dumb/ignorant/sexist... I'm not convinced. Got any more nuanced hypothesis?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Not putting words in your mouth, but I've been seeing this trend lately how Marvel must be sexist to select a movie made with obscure team like Guardians of the Galaxy instead of a female driven movie and I indicated that simply assuming the studio execs are ignorant or worse is silly. They know what they're doing. Kids went to see Frozen because... Disney; cartoon; princess. Maybe DC can tap that vein with Diana Prince, but Marvel isn't prepared to take that kind of risk at this time, in my opinion. There is a reason they haven't done it yet, and based on Marvel's track record, I wouldn't call them ignorant for their decision making... yet.

Truthfully, I never even thought they were sexist or scared of making a heroine led movie.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Truthfully, I never even thought they were sexist or scared of making a heroine led movie.

M

I think they're scared. Scared of losing $.

• Options
    RepoMan said:

"I think it's men who lead the demographics for these kinds of movies and they simply don't identify with female leads in heroic roles."

For which movies? The current crop of Marvel movies? While men may lead, don't shortchange the attraction these movies have for women AND families. It would be shortsighted to suggest anything otherwise. Haha. And why do I have to identify with any lead character? Is that really the only thing we're supposed to base our movie watching on? That's incredibly limited.

"As I am sure @RepoMan knows, The Hunger Games was a success mostly because it is based on one of the most popular young adult novels of all time; "

I can "speak" for myself, thanks. Harry Potter was a success because it was based on a novel. Hunger Games was a hit because of great promotion, a strong actress in the lead and great buzz. And oh yea, it was a book too? Sweet. I only read the books BECAUSE I saw the trailer. Same with my wife.

Not sure why it's so hard for some to just accept that it's not only us white men who want to see movies. Haha.

I had no plans to see Guardians of the Galaxy in the theatre...then my wife told me this week that she wants to see the movie. Needless to say, we're going to see the movie this weekend. My wife has no interest in the DC movies (expect for Nolan's Batman), but if she sees "Marvel Studios" she is in.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I had no plans to see Guardians of the Galaxy in the theatre...then my wife told me this week that she wants to see the movie. Needless to say, we're going to see the movie this weekend. My wife has no interest in the DC movies (expect for Nolan's Batman), but if she sees "Marvel Studios" she is in.

M

She'll enjoy it a lot. My wife and 20 year old daughter (along with my 11 year old son), none of whom are particularly huge superhero movie fans, absolutely *loved* it. Matter of fact, my daughter and son made me take them to see it again last night.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

With Marvel's recent track record, I'd probably be willing to see any of the female led heroine movies mentioned in this thread, but one thing that's possibly being overlooked here, but has been brought up elsewhere, is there is a real business factor that will probably prevent most of the suggestions here from ever seeing a green light. Historically, female super hero movies bomb at the box office.

Elektra crashed and burned, grossing just $24M on a $43M production budget, not counting their marketing and advertising budget. This is following her appearance in the marginally successful Daredevil film.

Catwoman (2004) had a huge budget ($100M) and starred Oscar winner Halle Berry and Oscar nominee Sharon Stone. The movie only made $40 million.

The comedy My Super Ex-Girlfriend (Uma Thurman, Luke Wilson, director Ivan Reitman), took in a paltry $22.5 million.

Supergirl (1984) grossed less that $14 million, that’s 0 for 4 when it comes to female super hero flicks. Not to mention Tank Girl, Barb Wire, Red Sonja, et al.

I surmise that the studio execs have asked where is the money in making female led superhero films?

Did all the movies listed here bomb because they had female leads or because they were terrible movies? I'm betting the fact that they were terrible movies had a little something to do with it. I would hope that there are at least a few studio execs out there with enough vision to look past the raw numbers.

I know that may be asking a lot, but look at the Underworld movies. They're practically superhero movies, they have a female lead, and they've done well enough to produce two sequels. And they're not great movies either. Marvel Studios had built up enough cred by this point. If they produce a female-led movie with the same level of quality as their other films, it should do just fine.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Underworld has always been a marginal box office presence produced for relatively small sums (not really the Marvel model), so I'm not sure that would work, but if Marvel shifts back to the same attitudes that helped produce the Blade trilogy, who knows? But I feel like Marvel's recent track record has shifted said attitude to "go big or go home."
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327

Matt said:

M

She'll enjoy it a lot. My wife and 20 year old daughter (along with my 11 year old son), none of whom are particularly huge superhero movie fans, absolutely *loved* it. Matter of fact, my daughter and son made me take them to see it again last night.
    That's awesome. I know my niece would definitely have her family take her to see a Black Widow movie. That's why a female led Marvel movie, in the current style, will do well: children are watching them. Wives/girlfriends/girls are watching them. They've expanded their intended audience beyond men. Did anyone mention Twilight? That movie has a built in audience and one that jumped on with the movies. I may not want to see it - but that's okay! Not everything has to - or SHOULD - be made for my tastes specifically, or my tastes generally (meaning as a man). There are movies being made for everyone - sometimes for a demographic, sometimes for a variety of demographics. And really the ones who should worry so much about money is the bean counters. Why should we give a poop about whether a movie makes money or not? Haha. Let the movie be made and the rest will take care of itself or not. This thread is about "which female marvel character can carry her own film", not "which can make money".

So with that - has anyone mentioned Daughters of the Dragon yet? Hmm... maybe they'll be an Iron Fist thing.
  • Options
    *pours fuel on the fire*

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=105408
    What you may not know is that women are coming out in droves to see Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Box Office Mojo reports that 44 percent of Guardians of the Galaxy audience was female, "which is the biggest share ever for a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie (the previous high was 40 percent for The Avengers)." Suck on that Whedon! Additionally: "the audience was 55 percent over the age of 25." Go, old people!
  • Options
    Now that I think about it, She-Hulk could be a great character to introduce on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

She would definitely fit the tone that show sets, and being that they deal with a lot of folks that are experiencing newly manifested powers, it could be a great fit.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2014

*pours fuel on the fire*

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=105408

What you may not know is that women are coming out in droves to see Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Box Office Mojo reports that 44 percent of Guardians of the Galaxy audience was female, "which is the biggest share ever for a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie (the previous high was 40 percent for The Avengers)." Suck on that Whedon! Additionally: "the audience was 55 percent over the age of 25." Go, old people!
    Yeah, you suck on that, Whedon! Suck on the fact that the success of Avengers. . . and probably the fact that Avengers has been available for streaming and home viewing for a long time now maybe helped turn out a female audience to the theater for Guardians, after they gave your movie a chance at home, to see another fun looking superhero movie. Guardians that says "From the Studio that brought you The Avengers" on the poster right under the title. You suck on that, Whedon! You loser!

PS- to be clear, I know those are just the words that the blogger @TheOriginalGMan‌ was quoting, not his, and wasn't even the point he was looking to make. I just think it is such typical half-informed logic to somehow see Guardians and Avengers in competition, as opposed to thinking through the ways in which Avengers built audience for Guardians and expanded who that audience might be. But, hey, on the Internet, why think about cause and effect when you can type "suck it!", right?
  • Options
    David_D said:

PS- to be clear, I know those are just the words that the blogger @TheOriginalGMan‌ was quoting, not his, and wasn't even the point he was looking to make.

Thanks for not shooting the messenger! (or telling him to "suck it!") :-)
  • Options

Now that I think about it, She-Hulk could be a great character to introduce on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

She would definitely fit the tone that show sets, and being that they deal with a lot of folks that are experiencing newly manifested powers, it could be a great fit.

Awesome idea. I also like the idea of simply meeting Jennifer on the Daredevil series.
  • Options

Underworld has always been a marginal box office presence produced for relatively small sums (not really the Marvel model), so I'm not sure that would work, but if Marvel shifts back to the same attitudes that helped produce the Blade trilogy, who knows? But I feel like Marvel's recent track record has shifted said attitude to "go big or go home."

That’s true, but Disney and Marvel have always looked beyond just box office numbers. They're raking in the licensing money too, and having a female lead in their stable can only expand the Marvel licensing possibilities. A female-driven Marvel film wouldn't necessarily need to go big, just big enough.
  • Options

Awesome idea. I also like the idea of simply meeting Jennifer on the Daredevil series.
    Or both.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    my original question was... which marvel superheroine can CARRY her own film... not why aren't there any female led marvel movies... even though both questions are intertwined to an extent

im not saying marvel studios is sexist

i think marvel just doesn't have the rights to too many interesting female characters that is an awesome concept, with a great history of stories and that has shown consistent fan support...

except maybe She Hulk

Black Widow is a marginal character to me... but it's obvious Scarlett Johansson has the star power to carry a solo movie... ie. Lucy... so it might work... it might not...

• Options
    bamfbamf said:

my original question was... which marvel superheroine can CARRY her own film... not why aren't there any female led marvel movies... even though both questions are intertwined to an extent

im not saying marvel studios is sexist

i think marvel just doesn't have the rights to too many interesting female characters that is an awesome concept, with a great history of stories and that has shown consistent fan support...

except maybe She Hulk

Black Widow is a marginal character to me... but it's obvious Scarlett Johansson has the star power to carry a solo movie... ie. Lucy... so it might work... it might not...

@WetRats already answered this question: Any of them. All you need is a great script, a good actress, and a good director. They can always tweak the character concept in the script. And they don't need a great history of stories, because they can make their own. I would watch the hell out of a Squirrel Girl movie starring someone like Emma Stone and directed by Wes Anderson.
  • Options

That’s true, but Disney and Marvel have always looked beyond just box office numbers. They're raking in the licensing money too, and having a female lead in their stable can only expand the Marvel licensing possibilities. A female-driven Marvel film wouldn't necessarily need to go big, just big enough.
    I don't necessarily disagree with this, only that I don't think Marvel is ready to take that risk.

Now Marvel, Disney, and the movie execs probably all agree on this female lead...

• Options

I don't necessarily disagree with this, only that I don't think Marvel is ready to take that risk.

Now Marvel, Disney, and the movie execs probably all agree on this female lead...

Why not? Didn't they just take a risk with Guardians of the Galaxy?

M
  • Options

I would watch the hell out of a Squirrel Girl movie starring someone like Emma Stone and directed by Wes Anderson.

*sigh*

I so want to see this.
  • Options
    Matt said:

M
    So @Matt, answer your question as to why they haven't taken that risk. I've tried to offer my hypothesis.

• Options

Matt said:

M
    So @Matt, answer your question as to why they haven't taken that risk. I've tried to offer my hypothesis.

Good scripts take time, ScarJo is currently pregnant, & I'm sure she's negotiating a bigger pay day. ScarJo has already stated during interviews for Winter Soldier there'll be more backstory revealed in Avengers 2 & she's already been in talks about doing a solo film.

M
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Apparently a Black Widow script has already been written

Following the link, this is in regard to a script written 10 years ago, and it is not even clear if this guy was hired to write it, or wrote it on spec. I mean, if we are counting those, then I would guess that hubdreds of Black Widow scripts have been written.

But if he wrote it 10 years ago, he didn't write it for the current Marvel Studios, and I would be pretty surprised if this is what they started with now. I would guess they would want a script actually written to continue the cinematic universe they have been building.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Apparently a Black Widow script has already been written

Following the link, this is in regard to a script written 10 years ago, and it is not even clear if this guy was hired to write it, or wrote it on spec. I mean, if we are counting those, then I would guess that hundreds of Black Widow scripts have been written.

But if he wrote it 10 years ago, he didn't write it for the current Marvel Studios, and I would be pretty surprised if this is what they started with now. I would guess they would want a script actually written to continue the cinematic universe they have been building.
    You are correct; in 1975, Angie Bowie was slated to play Black Widow in a TV series with Daredevil that never got beyond the developmental stages.

M
  • Options
    I know David, I was being somewhat cheeky when I posted that.
  • Options
    Another vote for She-Hulk, but they'd have to go semi-campy and that doesn't really fit in with what they are doing.
  • Options

Another vote for She-Hulk, but they'd have to go semi-campy and that doesn't really fit in with what they are doing.

Its possible. Not sure the tone of Antman yet.

M