Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Elseworlds Stories

Because of some recent sales in Comixology I've been reading a load of DC Elseworld stories lately and have been really enjoying them.
Gotham By Gaslight was a particular favorite.

One question I have is, are there any trades that collect Elseworld stories? I know there are things like Kingdom Come and The Nail out there collecting various miniseries. Are ther any collecting the shorter one shot stories?

Thought it could be a good topic to discuss...

What are people's favorite Elseworld stories?

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Also had a thought, this could be a cool Top 5 topic with Multiversity round the corner @Pants???
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    DC released a few of these in the DC Comics Presents format (those small 3-4 issue square bound collections) a few years ago.
  • Options
    My podcast has (well, technically HAD since we haven't done an episode in awhile) a spin-off devoted to DC Elseworlds.

Thus far we've covered...MOST of the Green Lantern related ones. I'd say 'Batman: In Darkest Night' is pretty great. So is 'Superman: Last Son of Earth'.

Additionally, though it wasn't an Elseworlds per se, the 'Superman: The One Man JLA' four issue crossover story arc was fairly enjoyable.

For the record, that would be:

Superman #147
    Adventures of Superman #570
    Action #757
    Man of Steel #92.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    There's a good list at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Elseworlds_publications

I haven't read all of them but ones I'd recommend for various reasons (writer or art or both) include:

DC: The New Frontier
    Gotham By Gaslight
    Batman: Master of the Future (sequel to GbG)
    Twilight
    Batman & Captain America
    Tales of the Multiverse: Batman - Vampire
    Batman/Lobo
    Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham
    Batman: Holy Terror
    Son of Superman
    Superboy's Legion
    Superman: Kal
    Superman: Red Son
    SuperMan: True Brit
    Kingdom Come
    Superman & Batman: Generations 1/2/3
    JSA: The Golden Age
    JLA: Created Equal
    JLA: The Nail
    JLA: Another Nail

Some of these have been collected into trade but many haven't. However most of them are in the old "Prestige Format" which had thick card covers and a squarebound spine, so they were basically thin trade paperbacks already.

Check www.comicbookdb.com for more details on them.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

Been enjoying reading what I've got as part of the Comicology Multiversity sale. So will be sure to pick up some of these in the future
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I love Kingdom Come.
  • Options
    You can also look for any of the DC Annuals from 1994, which were all Elseworld themed -- each one had its own Elseworld story, some of which were quite good. Plus -- though this might be stretching it a bit -- the 1991 annuals featured the Armageddon 2001 storyline in which then-new character Waverider investigates the future timeline of several heroes, searching for the one who would turn traitor and villain. The futures he sees make for good Elseworld stories, though they're not designated as such.
  • Options

You can also look for any of the DC Annuals from 1994, which were all Elseworld themed -- each one had its own Elseworld story, some of which were quite good.

Thanks Chuck. Out of interest, were these tied to one theme/story or purely one shots?
  • Options
    luke52 said:

You can also look for any of the DC Annuals from 1994, which were all Elseworld themed -- each one had its own Elseworld story, some of which were quite good.

Thanks Chuck. Out of interest, were these tied to one theme/story or purely one shots?
    They were all one-shots; Elseworlds itself was the theme. (Although there was one two-part story in the batch that ran between one of the Superman annuals -- I forget which one -- and the Superboy annual.)