Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The state of comic book criticism

(Just a note, this was prompted by a twitter discussion with Mr. Peter Rios, who is a genius at getting people to think and question this perceptions, so thank you Peter!)

Over the weekend, Tom Brevoort, editor at Marvel and Kirby Fan, said this:

“From what I can see, most reviews have no great impact on the sales of a given title by themselves. In aggregate, it’s possible to see an effect, but only in a “Rotten Tomatoes” situation where every review is similarly damning or similarly laudatory.

I’ve lamented a number of times about how I wish that there was a better standard of review available somewhere. Most of the reviews that I read aren’t what would typically be considered reviews at all—they’re more like blog postings. Not a lot of genuine critical faculties or technical knowledge or analytical thinking is applied to most reviews, it seems. They all come down much more simply to whether the reviewer liked the book or not on the most surface level.

There’s nothing wrong with any reader expressing their opinion, but I’d love to see reviews that set a higher standard. In those cases, when a reviewer’s word comes to mean something, comes to stand for something, then the reviews can have a chance to affect their readers more readily and to affect sales. You can see this with certain storied reviewers and critics of film and prose and television. And I’d love to see the same for graphic fiction.”

I tend to agree with him, as the reviews on the Big Sites (IGN, Comic Book Resources, The Savage Critics are the ones I know of) are very much like the reviews by the local movie reviewer: “I liked this, it was fun, you should read it” or “I didn’t like this, you should probably not read it.” Even on CGS and my own podcasts, they are very high level Thumbs up or Thumbs down. Now, back when The Comics Journal was a monthly magazine, or Amazing Heroes was still around, you had people trying to do reviews on a higher level.

They would get into the layout and design of pages, the literary aspects of the stories if they deserved it, and treating comics more like literature. It’s odd that now that comics are accepted, for the most part, as an art form and a form of literature, the reviews we get are more like pop-movie reviews than actual literature.

There’s nothing wrong with recommendation reviews. They serve a very strong purpose for us as consumers, and they are brought my attention to comics that I otherwise might have missed. Especially with SO many comics coming out, it’s pretty easy to miss something from a publisher who puts out 3 – 5 books a month or a creator who moves from one of the bigger publishers to a small press publisher for a idea or series he wants to own.

But, I’m looking for something deeper than I am currently getting from the comic related media. Much like how I feel that there is no real journalism about comics any more, there is a lack of real critical writing and talking about comics as an art form. I’m looking for less of the “I don’t like Jim Lee’s art” to “Jim Lee’s art is visually pleasing, but here are the reasons why his stories don’t flow properly and the errors in his panel transition.”

One of the solo episodes I am working on is a breakdown of the story “Master Race” in Impact #1 – not just saying it is a great story, but putting it in historical context, researching the storytelling style and visual tricks used, breaking it down structurally as a short story….and I know this was done in the past in comic-related magazines because I have READ articles that do it. One of the reasons I take so much time on some episodes is because I’m putting in the legwork to get as much info as I can…and I think my recent Kirby from 1962-1970 episode did SOME of this when breaking down the “Him” story in Fantastic Four 66-67 as part of my hypothesis that that is the story where Kirby decided he was done giving away his creations to Marvel.

Is it out there? Am I just not seeing it? Point me in the right direction and help me learn something!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I've been enjoying the reviews over at WeekleyComicBookReview.com.

Just did a quick look-see and the latest review is for Batman Beyond Universe #13. It's pretty in depth..the reviewer, while discussing Phil Hester's art, talks about his layouts, use of momentum and negative space.

I've never read reviews like the ones that used to be in the CJ or AH but I think WCBR does an above average job when compared to what's usually out there.
  • Options
    I think the reason you don't see it is because, as you pointed out, to do it properly, you have to do the research, which can be quite time consuming. But while book reviewers and movie reviewers can often make a decent living being reviewers, and thus be able to dedicate the time to the necessary research, no one can make a living reviewing comics. The people who have the knowledge and ability to write educated critical reviews are too busy doing other things which actually pay them money.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    @nweathington‌

That's a 100% true. I've been reading comics my whole life; I'm not willing to put in the time or effort to a proper critique of a comic book.

Truthfully I believe most single issues of a comic do not deserve the time and effort a good critique would take. I can see breaking down a good/bad story arc/trade, even a particularly good/bad single issue, but most aren't worth the time to do so.

• Options
    I've really enjoyed when Augie at cbr breaks down a comic. He did a great job with Steranko's Nick Fury.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    https://comicspectrum.com/Manga_Reviews.html

That asshole over at Comic Spectrum does a pretty decent job at trying to move beyond "I liked it/I hated it". I hear he's been at it a while now, and it's turned him into a hardened, bitter man. :)
  • Options
    I think, too, the reason you don't see more in-depth reviews of comics, to add to what nweathington has already stated, is that there's just no payoff for someone to do it (at least not for a 22-page comic) because there's also a limited audience (present company excepted) who are truly looking for something like that. Both author and audience are only there for the extreme love they'd have for something like that.
  • Options
    Does something that only takes 10 minutes to read really deserve in depth analysis? I'm all for true criticism for completed works but recommendation reviews are all most floppies require. It's the same with television. You get very little in-depth analysis in the episode-to-episode moment. When you have a season or an arc or a completed series that's when a deeper look is usually taken. Single issues of comics are rarely a standalone thing unto itself, but rather a fraction of the whole.
  • Options
    Does a painting that only takes one minute to look at deserve in-depth analysis? I don't think length is the issue. I mean, I could write 30 pages just on the first half of DC: The New Frontier #1 easily. Yes, in most cases, looking at a full storyline or arc would make for a stronger review, but that doesn't mean single issues don’t deserve critiquing. Even bad comics can be useful things to study in depth, if only to discover what doesn’t work.
    Torchsong said:

I think, too, the reason you don't see more in-depth reviews of comics, to add to what nweathington has already stated, is that there's just no payoff for someone to do it (at least not for a 22-page comic) because there's also a limited audience (present company excepted) who are truly looking for something like that. Both author and audience are only there for the extreme love they'd have for something like that.

I've always said that the books I do are for a niche audience of a niche audience, and serious critiques would be exactly the same in that regard. For all the amazing stories that the comics industry has produced, most comics, even the well done ones, are the equivalent of popcorn cinema—broad entertainment for the masses. And there’s nothing wrong with that, but most comic book readers aren’t really looking for an intellectual discussion of their funny books. They don’t want an analysis of why they like what they like or don’t like what they don’t like. They just want to see Batman kick the Joker’s butt. (Okay, that’s not exactly all they want, but you know what I mean.)

And to be fair, there are only a small percentage of movie-goers who want that type of movie critique, but being as there are many more movie-goers than comic book readers, there are also many more movie-goers who want analytical critiques than there are comic readers who want analytical critiques. I would say there is a higher percentage of novel readers and fine art aficionados interested in deep anyalysis, but it’s still a minority.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Torchsong said:

https://comicspectrum.com/Manga_Reviews.html

That asshole over at Comic Spectrum does a pretty decent job at trying to move beyond "I liked it/I hated it". I hear he's been at it a while now, and it's turned him into a hardened, bitter man. :)

We're talking about COMICS.

;)
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited September 2014
    Great thread.

I think a lot of this has to do with how comics internet culture has changed over the past half-decade or so. It's also impossible for me to analyze any of this without bringing in my personal history with everything and how I myself have changed as a reader and consumer of comics.

To be very general, I got back into comics in a big way about 7-8 years ago, and I was thrilled to find so many detailed discussions of Grant Morrison's Batman online. The reviews were interesting too, but really I enjoyed reading and participating on message boards in which the mysteries of the series were discussed, and in which Morrison's techniques and allusions were analyzed. It was a great thrill.

Fast-forward to 2014, and basically I'm just reading comics for entertainment. There's hardly anything out there that really excites me intellectually anymore. A couple of years ago I thought Brandon Graham's Prophet was really innovative and worth thinking about long and hard... but in my opinion that series just turned into a bunch of randomness. There are still smart comics out there, obviously, but nothing really excites me to the point that I need to give it a lot of analysis.

And all across the comics internet it seems like a lot of people are feeling the same. Gone are the discussions of "What's gonna happen?" They have been replaced with pontificating about whether or not such-and-such Big Two comics character should be portrayed more like the movie version... or whether or not such-and-such creator just stuck his or her foot in their mouth... or whether or not such-and-such comic detail is sexist, or racist, or nauseatingly politically correct, or whether it matters, or whether anyone who thinks it doesn't really matter is guilty of ignoring big social issues, or... etc. etc. etc.

People are talking about the business, the industry, the politics, and the "culture creation", but they're not talking about the actual comics, story and art, with nearly as much interest and detail as they used to. Forget analyzing panel-by-panel innovation. At this point I'd just like more reviewers (and podcasters) to talk more about the actual stories and characters, without one eye always on speculative factors such as "Ah-ha! So this that happened right here in the series was probably why the last writer quit eleven months ago!"

Original Sin has been something of an exception recently, because it's gotten people to talk about the mystery of it all, discover obscure characters, and think about continuity as a living document. And I guess some people would say that Multiversity is proving to be similar in that respect. (Personally, I feel like I've read Grant Morrison do this sort of thing enough already, but... this sort of thing that Grant Morrison does DOES warrant thought and critique.) Otherwise it just seems like the comics internet is on cruise control. Comics come out, we read them but only talk about the hot-button issues that the Big Two publicity people have already PRIMED us to talk about. We don't talk about, for example, Miles Morales' relationship with Ultimate Kate Bishop. We don't talk about the tons of world-building going on in Charles Soule's Swamp Thing. We don't talk about the always improving art techniques of Francis Manapul and Stuart Immonen. But we talk about whatever nasty thing Dan Slott just said on Twitter, and we've analyzed "The Death of Wolverine" eight months before it even started, like we're NFL commentators talking about the NEXT season right after the Super Bowl, because Marvel purposely leaks news about it.

As far as critique and criticism go, while I wish there were more rigorous analysis, I don't think there's anything wrong with just saying whether or not you like a title. It doesn't need to be deep. I can't really complain about reviewers or podcasters not getting really detailed in their analysis, because personally, like I said, right now there's nothing that interests me a whole lot either. And, actually, there still are great critics out there. Greg Burgas on CBR has been doing a "Year of the Artist" column every day, providing great analysis of a ton of artists. Highly thoughtful stuff. (On the other hand, one of CBR's other columnists just wrote a column in which she admitted "This week I was thinking of writing about some comics I like, but I'm sort of still obsessed with some sexist incidents that happened in the video game industry months ago, so I'm going to write about that stuff again, even though I've already written about it before, in my column that's supposed to be about comics." I'm paraphrasing, but that's almost exactly what she said. And I agree with her political points, but at the same time it's like... You've written about comics before. You've written about them well. Please do so again and stop being distracted by video game news from months ago.)

It does seem like there's been a brain-drain, though. Years ago I listened to iFanboy a lot, and while it was never the deepest place for analysis (and that's fine! it was entertaining!), it at least had some meat to it. I listened to a few recent episodes and there's like ZERO detail of the books themselves. They review them by saying whether or not they like them, note the creative teams, which usually triggers jokes and personal anecdotes about the creators, and then they move on to the next comic review. It's like the comics themselves are beside the point or something.

I do note a huge disconnect now between my experience with reading comics and my experience with going on the internet and reading about comics. There's very little overlap now. When I'm actually reading comics, I'm still immersed in the story and the craft. The comics internet reviewing/discussion culture, however, seems less interested than ever in story and craft.

This is sort of why I like CGS Spotlight episodes so much. And Footnotes. And Murd's Time Bubble.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @Elsiebub‌ I think that is all very well put, and I agree.

I am also much more interested in review and analysis of the work itself rather than reaction to what is going to be published later, and speculation about why it is going to be good or bad based on the tiny bits we have been told about it.

And I think you are right that those that are doing what they can to get us buzzing about books the books that the retailers can still order in the future are priming the conversation in that direction; and in the age of social media, where there is a huge appetite for "WHAT IS THE NEWEST THING THAT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT THAT NEEDS MY OPINION AND REACTION???", those looking to promote and get buzz and attention find the perfect partners.

And that is not to put myself above any of it-- I have certainly been as guilty as anyone of having discussions around things we don't have in our hands to read yet. So I get where all that comes from.

But I find the most interesting discussions to have, and read, are the ones where everyone participating have read the same thing, and therefore it is about the work itself, as opposed to discussions about what a not-yet-published work should or should not be, or how it should or should not be promoted.

Unfortunately, though, when it comes to the topic at hand, *informed* criticism (and I will set the bar low: I am not talking about the credentials of the reviewer beyond being informed by the fact that THEY HAVE READ THE BOOK) of comics has to compete with all the sound and fury of the hot topic of the moment. . . which is almost never a book that is actually out. Usually, the hot topic is either a book that has just been announced to be published later, or some kind of dust up about fan culture, what decisions have been made in the movies or TV shows that haven't come out yet; or the latest bit of sniping between pros online, etc.

Those stories grab more attention because everyone gets to feel like they can participate in the discussion-- you only have to consume a tiny thing to have an opinion: a promo image, a cover image, reading a few tweets, watching a movie trailer. Two minutes later, you suddenly are expert enough to join the conversation, and so many do.

Writing about, or even discussing, the actual finished work of a comic might take buying and reading 20 or so pages of content. Not a very high bar for entry, but enough to leave a lot of people out. Suddenly there are a lot less people interested in reading and participating in such reviews, and so less of them get written, and even fewer get written thoroughly and well.
  • Options

Does a painting that only takes one minute to look at deserve in-depth analysis? I don't think length is the issue. I mean, I could write 30 pages just on the first half of DC: The New Frontier #1 easily. Yes, in most cases, looking at a full storyline or arc would make for a stronger review, but that doesn't mean single issues don’t deserve critiquing. Even bad comics can be useful things to study in depth, if only to discover what doesn’t work.

I think a painting and a single issue of a comic are very different. A painting is a single, complete work of art. All of the intentions of the artist are represented therein. Too often most comics are just a sliver of a whole work, not meant to stand on their own. To analyze it on its own merits takes it out of context. Not that this is totally without value, but it also doesn't have the same urgency. Plus paintings, and movies and novels are meant to have a timeless lasting appeal, where as comics are still, in many ways, a disposable form of entertainment. Something done that has had (regardless of how or why) or was created with the intention of having a lasting impact certainly deserves a deeper look. But that often needs time to reveal its significance.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    While there doesn't seem to be a comic equivalent of the New York Review of Books for a general audience of comic readers who want to debate the books currently on the shelves, there is an ever-growing body of academic criticism focused on sequential literature. So if you're looking for scholars who have made deep inquiries into the work of Harvey Pekar, Alison Bechdel, Neil Gaiman, etc., there is a mass of great material out there. But I do agree that most general comic discussion reads like fanboy blog posts.
  • Options

Does something that only takes 10 minutes to read really deserve in depth analysis? I'm all for true criticism for completed works but recommendation reviews are all most floppies require. It's the same with television. You get very little in-depth analysis in the episode-to-episode moment. When you have a season or an arc or a completed series that's when a deeper look is usually taken. Single issues of comics are rarely a standalone thing unto itself, but rather a fraction of the whole.

I think that in itself is a huge change in comics over the last 30 or so years that no one has really broken down and discussed. While we can complain about decompression (which has become a meaningless word in talking about storytelling), no one goes into the WHY of it. Comics now let the art tell more of the story, and there is less about the endless saga construction of the super-hero story.

For a lot of comics, I think going over a single issue can be like discussing the 4th chapter of a novel, there are still some stories that could be handled on an issue by issue basis. Astro City, while it doesn't have the heat it used to, is still working through many of the storytelling tropes in new ways, and deserves serious discussion of what it is attempting and if it succeeds.

I have heard GREAT discussions of individual episodes of TV series, so it can be done, even with long running, episodic series that are part of a greater whole, and I feel the same can be done with comics...so, if issue #3 of the arc is part of the second act, is it building suspense? Is it stopping for character development? Is it marking time and hurting the pace?

Just because something is a single issue, doesn't mean it can't be looked at as a separate work of art: For example, Kirby's New Gods #8, The Pact is something that I feel could be discussed without the rest of the New Gods series, even thought it was all interconnected. Conversely, you can discuss Picasso's Guernica as part of his entire output, as just a part of what he was saying with his career.

Criticism is an art form, just like anything else. And as an art form, you can play with form, style and substance.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2014
    Just to add to what @SolitaireRose‌ said, you can break down a painting, and only critique the technique, or the composition, or the lighting. You don’t have to critique a painting as a whole. You may simply want to compare and contrast the compositions of Degas with those of Giacometti—a completely valid form of criticism. Likewise there are aspects of a single comic that is part of a longer story that don’t need context in order to be critiqued.

Plus paintings, and movies and novels are meant to have a timeless lasting appeal, where as comics are still, in many ways, a disposable form of entertainment. Something done that has had (regardless of how or why) or was created with the intention of having a lasting impact certainly deserves a deeper look. But that often needs time to reveal its significance.

You know, I would like to think that art in all its myriad forms, be it painting or film or writing was all done with the intention of having a lasting impact. But that’s no more true than saying that comics aren’t done with the intention of having a lasting impact. True, in the early days—and the not too distant days—comic book publishers didn’t often care about their product having a lasting impact. But a good many of their creators sure did. And that's certainly even more the case today.

And there is plenty of schlock in the worlds of fine art and illustration, film, and literature, that was done for nothing more than a paycheck with no thought to potential impact, lasting or otherwise—stuff that is just as disposable as any comic.

Personally, I don’t think the creator’s intent should make any difference in whether something deserves a deeper look or not. Any piece of art’s real significance is going to be defined by its audience, not by its creator.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited September 2014
    “The most important lesson in the writing trade is that any manuscript is improved if you cut away the fat.” Robert Heinlein

“Say what you have to say, and then stop.” Rudolph Flesch

“If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.” George Orwell

“Anybody can have ideas—the difficulty is to express them without squandering a quire of paper on an idea that ought to be reduced to one glittering paragraph.” Mark Twain

“The shorter and the plainer the better.” Beatrix Potter

“Men of few words are the best men.” William Shakespeare

Point? As long as the review doesn't last longer than it took to consume it, then I don't have a problem. I've disagreed with and agreed with those who criticize eloquently. And I've disagreed and agreed with those who merely say "it sucked" or "buy this now!"
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    With my Teaching Artist/ Shakespeare Nerd cap on for a moment (and this is nothing personal, but I can't resist when I see quotes like this or "let's kill all the lawyers" attributed simply to Shakespeare--

Unlike most Mark Twain quotes, which often come from his essays or letters, when he is speaking for himself, with his own voice, any quote you see attributed as "William Shakespeare" is actually something he is putting in the mouth of a character. Usually it is dialogue for a character; and even the less-quoted Sonnets have enough contradictions in them to make it clear he is not necessarily the poetic "speaker" expressing himself.

So these characters being quoted do not necessarily reflect an opinion Shakespeare had, anymore than any other writer if you quote his character. It would be like attributing this way (to borrow some comics quotes):

"I'm the best at what I do. And what I do ain't pretty."
    -- Chris Claremont

"I hunger!"
    -- Stan Lee

"I'm the goddamn Batman."
    -- Frank Miller

As for whether Shakespeare himself believed that men of few words are the best men? Well, we will never really know. The length of his work, and the amount his characters go on at length might suggest otherwise. The quote in context is a description of a character, Nym from Henry V. His belief that men should be of few words comes in a list of his bad qualities. And later in the play, King Henry hangs him for stealing from a church:
    Boy:
    . . . For Nym, he hath
    heard that men of few words are the best men; and
    therefore he scorns to say his prayers, lest a'
    should be thought a coward: but his few bad words
    are matched with as few good deeds; for a' never
    broke any man's head but his own, and that was
    against a post when he was drunk. They will steal
    any thing, and call it purchase..

And that has been the Shakespeare nerd sidebar nobody asked for.

"Quiet! Or papa spank!"
    -- Bill Finger
  • Options
    I like the pretty pictures and the funny stories.
  • Options

I like the pretty pictures and the funny stories.

For some reason that comment makes me miss JohnSteed.
  • Options
    David_D said:

With my Teaching Artist/ Shakespeare Nerd cap on for a moment (and this is nothing personal, but I can't resist when I see quotes like this or "let's kill all the lawyers" attributed simply to Shakespeare--

Unlike most Mark Twain quotes, which often come from his essays or letters, when he is speaking for himself, with his own voice, any quote you see attributed as "William Shakespeare" is actually something he is putting in the mouth of a character. Usually it is dialogue for a character; and even the less-quoted Sonnets have enough contradictions in them to make it clear he is not necessarily the poetic "speaker" expressing himself.

So these characters being quoted do not necessarily reflect an opinion Shakespeare had, anymore than any other writer if you quote his character. It would be like attributing this way (to borrow some comics quotes):

-- Chris Claremont

"I hunger!"
    -- Stan Lee

-- Frank Miller

As for whether Shakespeare himself believed that men of few words are the best men? Well, we will never really know. The length of his work, and the amount his characters go on at length might suggest otherwise. The quote in context is a description of a character, Nym from Henry V. His belief that men should be of few words comes in a list of his bad qualities. And later in the play, King Henry hangs him for stealing from a church:

Boy:
    . . . For Nym, he hath

"Quiet! Or papa spank!"
    -- Bill Finger

Feels a lot like you missed the point entirely (being a man of few words). Even if a fictional character said it doesn't make it less proverbial. In fact, I'm sure I could quote Confucious, Plato or even a number of holy books to evoke the same point. But thanks for the analysis and criticism.
  • Options

“The most important lesson in the writing trade is that any manuscript is improved if you cut away the fat.” Robert Heinlein

“Say what you have to say, and then stop.” Rudolph Flesch

“If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.” George Orwell

“Anybody can have ideas—the difficulty is to express them without squandering a quire of paper on an idea that ought to be reduced to one glittering paragraph.” Mark Twain

“The shorter and the plainer the better.” Beatrix Potter

“Men of few words are the best men.” William Shakespeare

Point? As long as the review doesn't last longer than it took to consume it, then I don't have a problem. I've disagreed with and agreed with those who criticize eloquently. And I've disagreed and agreed with those who merely say "it sucked" or "buy this now!"

Well, I would only say that some people spend a lot more time consuming an artistic work than others. Some people walk through an art gallery, see a Matisse, say, “Pretty,” and move on to the next painting, while others stare at the painting for hours, poring over every inch of the canvas. Likewise, some people have read Crisis on Infinite Earths and said, “Eh, not bad. Next!” while others have read it so many times they’ve produced hours and hours of podcast recordings about it just so they can discuss every nuance of the series.

It goes back to what I said earlier, in-depth analytical reviews appeal to only a niche of the comic reading public. And that’s not a judgement on anyone on either side, that’s just the way it breaks down.
  • Options
    To add to the conversation, different reviewers/critics also have different ways of going about it. And it also comes down to what a reader is looking for in a review(er).

Examples: Love or hate Harry Knowles at Ain't It Cool News, he has a very unique way of approaching his movie reviews. Sometimes he'll start at what he had for breakfast that morning or what was going on with his glasses that day. We may not even get to the meat of the review until a good eight or nine paragraphs. I like this style because our state of mind going into any review will no doubt affect our criticism of the subject. Sure, it's overly wordy and you need to invest yourself into reading it, but that's part of the reward, so to speak. Knowles has a good voice and eye for movies. It's worth the read, usually. And the review is more personal than most out there.

The late Roger Ebert was able to achieve the same effect with fewer words, but his real gift was simply being such an authoritative voice on movies. You might disagree with his reviews, but he left little doubt that he was speaking from a solid foundation when he wrote. Bottom line, he knows things you don't. Pay attention, whether or not you agree with him.

Equally effective was Spin's three-word review of Metallica's Load album, which simply read "Load of crap." :)

They all work, depending on what the reader is looking for. In my own reviews I've used elements of all three. A recent review of the manga Monster Musume first involves a trip by me to SDCC. We don't get into the actual review until a few paragraphs down. On the flip side, my editor at IGN still loves the review I did for Pirates vs. Ninja, which simply stated "It took five people to write something this awful." :)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Torchsong said:

They all work, depending on what the reader is looking for. In my own reviews I've used elements of all three. A recent review of the manga Monster Musume first involves a trip by me to SDCC. We don't get into the actual review until a few paragraphs down. On the flip side, my editor at IGN still loves the review I did for Pirates vs. Ninja, which simply stated "It took five people to write something this awful." :)

Everyone that read your Prirates vs. Ninja review loves it. Everytime I read a terrible comic I laugh that it took "5 people to create something this awful".

edit:
    I can of 5 people who probably don't love the review.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

David_D said:

-- Chris Claremont

"I hunger!"
    -- Stan Lee

-- Frank Miller

Boy:
    . . . For Nym, he hath

"Quiet! Or papa spank!"
    -- Bill Finger

Feels a lot like you missed the point entirely (being a man of few words). Even if a fictional character said it doesn't make it less proverbial. In fact, I'm sure I could quote Confucious, Plato or even a number of holy books to evoke the same point. But thanks for the analysis and criticism.

You're welcome. I did say this was a side bar.

I think I do get your point. And whether one prefers long or short reviews is entirely up to them. I don't think one is better than the other. Both forms can work.

But I also think, as a reader of Shakespeare, that if we actually had writing advice from Shakespeare, it would not be advocating brevity. Which is why attributing these quotes directly to the writer doesn't work. Unlike Confucius or the Bible, Shakespeare wasn't writing philosophy or proscriptive parables. He was scripting drama and comedy, which involves a lot of statements he likely did not agree with. That's all.

Again, this is just something I bring up whenever I see some of those popular Shakespeare quotes. It is tangential to the discussion. It is not actually to argue against your point.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    And yet we can call a rose anything we like, it will smell quite the same regardless of name (attributed to Juliet in the fictional play Romeo and Juliet written by William Shakespeare), eh? The idiom holds true nonetheless.
  • Options
  • Options

Likewise, some people have read Crisis on Infinite Earths and said, “Eh, not bad. Next!” while others have read it so many times they’ve produced hours and hours of podcast recordings about it just so they can discuss every nuance of the series.

Hmmm. I readily admit that I'm in the camp that feels more than a bit let down by a certain podcast that has somehow stretched out 9 episodes over 5 years and still has yet to delve into the Crisis series proper, but that's a pointless quibble. As you say, to each their own...
  • Options

Likewise, some people have read Crisis on Infinite Earths and said, “Eh, not bad. Next!” while others have read it so many times they’ve produced hours and hours of podcast recordings about it just so they can discuss every nuance of the series.

Hmmm. I readily admit that I'm in the camp that feels more than a bit let down by a certain podcast that has somehow stretched out 9 episodes over 5 years and still has yet to delve into the Crisis series proper, but that's a pointless quibble. As you say, to each their own...
    Wait until I spend two hours on an 8 page story in my upcoming EC podcasts....
  • Options

Wait until I spend two hours on an 8 page story in my upcoming EC podcasts....

If it's anything like your last EC podcast (Solitaire Rose Radio 18: A Personal History of EC Comics Part 1) then I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

• Options
    Torchsong said:

To add to the conversation, different reviewers/critics also have different ways of going about it. And it also comes down to what a reader is looking for in a review(er).

Examples: Love or hate Harry Knowles at Ain't It Cool News, he has a very unique way of approaching his movie reviews. Sometimes he'll start at what he had for breakfast that morning or what was going on with his glasses that day. We may not even get to the meat of the review until a good eight or nine paragraphs. I like this style because our state of mind going into any review will no doubt affect our criticism of the subject. Sure, it's overly wordy and you need to invest yourself into reading it, but that's part of the reward, so to speak. Knowles has a good voice and eye for movies. It's worth the read, usually. And the review is more personal than most out there.

The late Roger Ebert was able to achieve the same effect with fewer words, but his real gift was simply being such an authoritative voice on movies. You might disagree with his reviews, but he left little doubt that he was speaking from a solid foundation when he wrote. Bottom line, he knows things you don't. Pay attention, whether or not you agree with him.

Equally effective was Spin's three-word review of Metallica's Load album, which simply read "Load of crap." :)

That Metallica review reminds me of a three-word review I read of a Duran Duran album called Thank you. The review read "No thank you."