Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1504 Talkback - Previews

It's Previews time once again! We go through the September catalog for items shipping to stores in November. (1:50:20)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    I've found Chris Eberle's recommendations are usually spot on with me, so definitely going to try and track down "The Massive." Sounds like it's right in my wheelhouse.
  • Options
    I always find these Previews episodes to be especially useful when deciding what titles to try that are out of my regular monthly comfort zone. After listening to this episode, I've added Humans #1 and ODYC #1 to my latest DCBS order as well as taking Mr. Eberle's advice and adding the new issue of Alter Ego.

I also agree with Chris that I find myself reading more and more independent titles as I am growing increasingly impatient with Marvel and DC's monthly (and sometimes weekly) attempts to take my money and have been extremely pleased with Image's output recently. I certainly echo his enthusiasm toward Velvet and Saga and would also recommend Alex+Ada, Dream Police and Shutter.

On a final note, I enjoyed your nostalgic divergence into the 80's toward the beginning of the episode. I must admit, however, I cringed when Team America was mentioned as I had recently read their rather awful two-issue cameo in The New Mutants some months back while going through my back issues. Some things are better forgotten. Anyway, keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Haven't listened yet because I wanted to follow along in my previews so couldn't since I was driving all morning, hoping to listen tonight and get back to you guys with my thoughts!
  • Options
    Finished this one. Definitely putting the following on my list of things to pick-up:

ODY-C #1 (went to google it and it took me forever to find it because of the goofy spelling!)
    Humans #1
    Tooth and Claw #1

In addition to checking out "The Massive," I'm definitely also going to check out Chris Eberle's other recommendation "Day Men."
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2014
    I have to once again echo the notion of Mr Eberle (and many others) that the best comics out there today are being produced by "independents" (Image in particular). The following are at the top of my reading list each month, before I even think of getting to anything that "The Big 2" put out (except perhaps "Superior Foes" or "Hawkeye" ... which won't be an issue ere long):

Lazarus
    East of West
    COWL
    Saga
    Genius
    Manhattan Projects
    United States of Murder Inc

And this is without even considering the following brand new series that got off to excellent starts IMO:

Copperhead
    Henchmen
    The Fade Out
    Annihilator
  • Options
    Oh, and speaking of Lazarus, I'm in total agreement about the individual family histories that are incorporated into the letters page each month. Great, great stuff ... in particular the phony "ads" for the various family industries. First time I saw one, I was like "huh? Is this legit?" LOL!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited September 2014
    I love the CGS Previews episodes so much, and always listen with the magazine handy in case I need to amend my order (as it often happens).

I've been having some fun participating in John Mayo's monthly Previews Spotlights for his Comic Book Page podcast for a few months and my picks for this month are:

"Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga" tpb
    Bliss on Tap, Future Proof #2
    Boom!, Deep State #1
    Dynamite, Django/Zorro crossover #1
    Dynamite, John Carter; Warlord of Mars #1

My top 5 comic podcasts are CGS, Comic Book Page, Kray-Z Comics (from @SolitaireRose‌ ) , The Infinite Longbox, and iFanboy. The remainder or my Previews order consists of Marvel & Dynamite titles a tpb and magazine, but I think I'm going to amend my order to add the Strangers in Paradise volume @Adam_Murdough‌ mentioned as well as the Howard the Duck omnibus.

Additionally, I wish one of the geeks would get caught up on Walking Dead just so Chris Eberle could detail why he believes the book has "jumped the shark".
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited September 2014
    Thoughts so far:

I giggled when Chris almost said that "Valerie Bertinelli" was the Huntress. I'd have loved to have seen that a few decades ago.

I think the New 52 Wonder Woman is definitely worth reading. It's a rare example of the current DC brass letting a writer/artist team do their own thing. The long leash meant that Azzarello was sure to try certain ideas (specifically the new origin) that would upset some readers, but all and all it's been one of my favorite Big Two series since 2011.

Similarly: Please, one of you guys read Charles Soule's Swamp Thing. The run started with issue #19 (or TPB vol. 4).

Overall, Batwoman has been passable under Andreyko's pen. I've never read anything else by the guy. There have been a handful of really good character moments and dialogue passages lately, but more often than not until the last couple issues I've found it mediocre at best. The art has been pretty bad as well, but that's picking up lately also. I do have the sense that the writer (and editorial as well) are getting it together, and I like the future solicitations I've seen.

Good to have you guys back.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Totally agree with @Elsiebub‌ on Swamp Thing. By far the best of the New 52 books for me. Should be getting more readership.
  • Options
    Did I hear Chris Eberle correct, when the discussion turned to the Batman TV series on blu-ray and DVD? He said the super-duper Previews exclusive one was $285 with a 40% discount for him, as a retailer, but that he was getting the one that's the next step down at $270 with a 30% off discount. Which means he would be spending 19 bucks more for the one with less frills.

Now, maybe I heard wrong. But if not, someone might want to let him in on this fact.

chris
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Chris, many thanks! Per usual, my bumbling attempts at basic arithmetic confirm that teaching social studies was the prudent choice.

Can I just say that in spite of your bumbling at mathematics, I for one am quite impressed with your history and social studies skills are remarkable @wildpigcomics? Always enjoy the Spotlight editions with you and the geeks.

• Options
    @wildpigcomics, happy to be of service. I have a strange number-centered brain, which sometimes come in handy. Though it is a stumbling block when first meeting new people - because I never remember their name, but probably would remember if they shared some ancillary numerical information.

chris
  • Options

Can I just say that in spite of your bumbling at mathematics, I for one am quite impressed with your history and social studies skills are remarkable @wildpigcomics? Always enjoy the Spotlight editions with you and the geeks.

Seconded.

• Options
    For all those Ghostbusters fans out there... in the magazine section check HorrorHound 50, a Ghostbusters special. Never read this mag before but will be picking this one up.
  • Options
    @wildpigcomics‌ for the March London Super Comic Con next year could you ever be tempted to bring your infamous Wildpig sale across the pond???
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    DC:

Gotham by Midnight #1
    Multiversity Pax Americana #1
    Batman #36
    Grayson #4
    Arkham Manor #2
    Gotham Academy #2

Nightwing vol 1
    The Specter vol 2

Image:

Tooth and Claw #1
    Copperhead #3

Boom!:

Sirens #2
    Wilds End #3
    Steven Universe #4

Marvel:

Axis 4-6
    Nova 23 & 24
    New Avengers 26 &27
    Avengers 38
    Amazing Spider-Man 9 & 10
    SFSM #17
    Winter Soldier #2
    Thor #2
    Star Lord #5
    Moonknight #9
    FF #13
    GotG #21
    GotG 3000 #2
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Arnold on Silver Spoons, Shane? Here we go...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K70MDk45YY4
    Anyway, haven't got my Previews yet but I think from now on, I'm just going to listen to the show while surfing the DCBS website. That's probably all I need...
    The Massive: Yeah Chris, I have a few issues of this and I liked it. Very cool comic. For some reason I stopped ordering it, but I'd like to catch up.
    And wow....I added some stuff after listening to you guys: ODYC#1, GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT#1, and SPIDER-WOMAN #1.
    I also love you guys general passion for comics. Look at that, even though you guys said you weren't really buying much DC and lessening your Marvel picks, you spent a lot of time talking about both companies offerings. Plus, your love of recently independents.
    Movie talk: Yeah, the Thanos looked slighty off to me, better in 2D than 3D. By the way, Chris, did Murd tell you about his theory concerning Starlord's father?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    alienal said:

Movie talk: Yeah, the Thanos looked slighty off to me, better in 2D than 3D.

They wove Brolin's face into their cgi model of Thanos. Unlike his appearance in Avengers(which looked like it was lifted straight off of a Starlin page) he had an exaggerated version of Brolin's mouth and jaw line.
  • Options
    As related to the Spider-Verse event I was in from the start. I mean it's Dan Slott. Dan Slott was behind Spider-Island and that was great. Superior Spider-Man was surprisingly excellent, I was even disappointed when Peter returned(the timing of course was expected).

As was said on the podcast, Marvel usually puts talented writers behind their events, and it's true for Spider-Verse in my opinion.
  • Options
    Am I the only person who hates Dan Slott writing Spider-Man? I certainly don't have anything against the guy since I picked up his She-Hulk when it was coming out and am currently enjoying Silver Surfer. His take on Spidey always just pissed me off, though. I've always felt I was in the minority on this.