Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic Conventions - Have they lost their way? Did they ever have one? :)

http://comicbookwife.com/2014/09/20/the-hidden-truth-about-comic-book-convention-earnings-for-creators-have-comic-book-conventions-jumped-the-shark/

We get articles like this more and more these days. This is the big one du jour. I have my thoughts, but would be interested to hear yours.

Comments

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Can she put this in context -- how much was Dave Dorman making at cons 5 or 10 years ago? Because frankly, I've never heard of the guy, so I would have walked right past his table too. But I would have spent money for George Perez sketches or a Chris Claremont autograph.

I'm new to cons, but here in Michigan it seems we have many tiers of cons. There are monster shows like Motor City Con which attract the Stan Lees and William Shatners and other C-list Hollywood types. We have medium sized cons like one taking place in Grand Rapids in November. And we have tiny shows (comic expos) that take place in a community college and where you can still meet comic pros like Keith Pollard and William Messner-Loebs (guys who live in Michigan). I'm assuming the smaller shows allow vendors and artists to pay less money for a table. Why not focus on those?

Even at these smaller shows, there is cosplay going on. It seems some people really like to dress up. I suppose someone should explore this phenomenon for a Master's thesis, because it's pretty fascinating and probably is a great commentary on our culture. It may be that cons could break out and become specialized; for instance, what's stopping a con organizer from having a Back Issue Show, which is almost totally focused on the sale of comics? Or -- what if a con organizer divided a convention center into autograph pods, artist pods, back issue pods, and Hollywood panels? Let's face it, people are going for very different reasons.

It's hard to say that cons have jumped the shark when the attendance figures are so strong, and growing healthily from year to year. I think what she's experiencing is that her particular niche is getting crushed, as people's dollars and attention is moving elsewhere. Perhaps she'll adjust her business model and offer different products, or she'll make better decisions about what events to attend and what events to skip.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    RickM said:

Can she put this in context -- how much was Dave Dorman making at cons 5 or 10 years ago? Because frankly, I've never heard of the guy, so I would have walked right past his table too. But I would have spent money for George Perez sketches or a Chris Claremont autograph.

I'm new to cons, but here in Michigan it seems we have many tiers of cons. There are monster shows like Motor City Con which attract the Stan Lees and William Shatners and other C-list Hollywood types. We have medium sized cons like one taking place in Grand Rapids in November. And we have tiny shows (comic expos) that take place in a community college and where you can still meet comic pros like Keith Pollard and William Messner-Loebs (guys who live in Michigan). I'm assuming the smaller shows allow vendors and artists to pay less money for a table. Why not focus on those?

Even at these smaller shows, there is cosplay going on. It seems some people really like to dress up. I suppose someone should explore this phenomenon for a Master's thesis, because it's pretty fascinating and probably is a great commentary on our culture. It may be that cons could break out and become specialized; for instance, what's stopping a con organizer from having a Back Issue Show, which is almost totally focused on the sale of comics? Or -- what if a con organizer divided a convention center into autograph pods, artist pods, back issue pods, and Hollywood panels? Let's face it, people are going for very different reasons.

It's hard to say that cons have jumped the shark when the attendance figures are so strong, and growing healthily from year to year. I think what she's experiencing is that her particular niche is getting crushed, as people's dollars and attention is moving elsewhere. Perhaps she'll adjust her business model and offer different products, or she'll make better decisions about what events to attend and what events to skip.

I can't say what Dorman has done recently, but in the 90's he was one of the painterly cover artists of note. He did extensive work with Dark Horse related to franchise books like Aliens, Predator, Aliens vs Predator, and Star Wars. I have recollections of seeing him on Batman. My initial thought was that he'd done some extensive work at Marvel as well, but I think that was Joe Jusko.
  • Options
    These conventions they are talking about are NOT comic book conventions. Sorry, Wizard World is an autograph mill. San Diego is a media event. If you have Bill Shatner and David Tennet at your convention as the guests of honor, my question would be:

What comic book have they done?

We in Minnesota have a COMIC BOOK CONVENTIONS. We have comic book dealers, comic book creators and we draw over 4,000 people over two days in the spring and about the same in the fall for the one day show. No washed up actors, no pro wrasslers, no models, no video game exclusives. Comic Books.

We have Bronze and Silver Age artists as well as modern folk and they make a KILLING. We allow just about everyone who is doing an indy book in the area to set up, and they make money by selling their comic books.

Quit pissing and moaning about how you don't make money at comic book conventions if you go to places that push whoever Erin Grey has under contract and hides the comic book people in the back of the hall. Go to a convention where they have comic books on sale and comic book creators and maybe you can sell something. People who show up to get an autograph from the 2nd lead in SyFy's latest reality show aren't going to buy a damn thing from you and it's your fault for thinking they will.

You can't say comic cons have jumped the shark IF YOU DON'T FRELLIN GO TO ANY!!

And THAT'S the bottom line because Solitaire Rose Said So!
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

These conventions they are talking about are NOT comic book conventions. Sorry, Wizard World is an autograph mill. San Diego is a media event. If you have Bill Shatner and David Tennet at your convention as the guests of honor, my question would be:

We in Minnesota have a COMIC BOOK CONVENTIONS. We have comic book dealers, comic book creators and we draw over 4,000 people over two days in the spring and about the same in the fall for the one day show. No washed up actors, no pro wrasslers, no models, no video game exclusives. Comic Books.

We have Bronze and Silver Age artists as well as modern folk and they make a KILLING. We allow just about everyone who is doing an indy book in the area to set up, and they make money by selling their comic books.

Quit pissing and moaning about how you don't make money at comic book conventions if you go to places that push whoever Erin Grey has under contract and hides the comic book people in the back of the hall. Go to a convention where they have comic books on sale and comic book creators and maybe you can sell something. People who show up to get an autograph from the 2nd lead in SyFy's latest reality show aren't going to buy a damn thing from you and it's your fault for thinking they will.

Ah, but where are they more likely to gain exposure and thus make more money? Sorry, the bigger cons have more attendees.
  • Options

Ah, but where are they more likely to gain exposure and thus make more money? Sorry, the bigger cons have more attendees.
    If you are a midline comic creator, you won't make anything at a media con because no one knows or cares who you are. A comics focused con will have more people there to BUY comics, art, books, etc...because they are buying a photo op with a Dr Who actor of $350. They can have 100k people, but if only 500 comic book fans come in looking to buy original art, you were better off going to SPX.

In the article she says her husband only made $40 at a gaming convention...you know, if I brought a box of High End Golden Age comics to the LEGENDS OF THE RING PRO WRESTLING FANFEST, I would probably make about $40....is that the convention's fault or my fault for buying a table at a show where no one came to see me?

• Options
    Here’s the thing about Dorman though, he’s a painter. He makes his money at cons selling paintings and prints mostly, though he does have a new collection of his creator-owned graphic novel series out now. He generally goes to larger shows because it gives him a better chance of selling those high-price items he creates. And because he’s got such a large amount of Star Wars art on his resume (George Lucas owns several of Dorman’s paintings), he’s the kind of artist who can actually do well at a Wizard World show. San Diego is another type of beast altogether. You have to sell a metric ton of product (or be able to sell high-dollar items) just to break even there now. Adam Hughes and the like can make money there, but most artists can’t.

That being said, I don’t think you can blame cosplayers for a decline in art sales. Cosplayers aren’t replacing the people who come to cons to buy artwork, they’re coming in addition to those people.

I think one of the problems artists are having with sales is due to the number of cons there are now. That guy who a few years back might have come from two states away and dropped $2,000 on a painting or $400 on a page is now just going to the con in his back yard. And there are a limited number of those guys out there, so that money is being spread out over a lot of shows, instead of being concentrated at a few big shows, which means less money per show for a lot of artists.

And shows have different personalities. HeroesCon is an original art show. Some shows are better for selling prints, some are better for selling books. Artists talk to each other about these things, so it’s important for them to have that network so they can find out what sells better where and figure out the best gameplan for them.
  • Options
    I think it's also not having a line of different priced items if you are there to sell. If someone doesn't know your work, you should have lower end work ($5 - 10) as well as the big money items. You also need to sell your stuff! The people I see do well who aren't as well known have a lot of hustle - they talk to the people who drop by, give an elevator pitch for their wares, talk up their product.

When I had a more active role in the Minnesota con, I could tell which dealers and artist would be complaining about the show: The ones who sat back and when someone came up and looked around, they kept doing what they were doing or chatting with their buddies.

Colleen Doran has a nice counter-point to the discussion as well:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Official-Colleen-Doran-Fan-Page/311416896313
  • Options
    To follow up on fellow Michigander @RickM's point I think here in Michigan we have too many cons. Tooooo many. There are varying sizes but we have had a con explosion here. We had a TurtlesCon, Great Lakes Comic Con, Motory City Con, Youma-con, Mid-west Expo (they say they are everything but comics), another Great Lakes Comic Con in the fall, the Black Age of Comics show, and there is a Monroe Con coming. And another con Detroit Fanfare moved from October to February 2015 to avoid the crush. I hated to see that.

Motor City still has a good mix of celebrities and comics. I haven't been in the last three years but this what the perception is still in my opinion. Fortunately the same organizers have a show about 9 times a year in a Masonic Lodge and people come to get only comics. I think if someone does these smaller shows you can do pretty well for folks who don't want to pay $40 to shop.

As far as an artist unless you can drive and get a cheap hotel I can see going to any of these big shows now.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

(I think I know what someone is getting for Christmas. . . )
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Sr could end up with 30 complete runs of tekworld. Total cost to the board 30 bucks (mostly shipping costs) knowing sr cornered the shatner market priceless
  • Options

In the article she says her husband only made $40 at a gaming convention...you know, if I brought a box of High End Golden Age comics to the LEGENDS OF THE RING PRO WRESTLING FANFEST, I would probably make about $40....is that the convention's fault or my fault for buying a table at a show where no one came to see me?

To be fair, Dorman has done quite a bit of gaming art, and has a board game based on his graphic novels. That’s why he was there.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Yay!

Nice to see you using your super-grumpiness power for good!

:D
  • Options
    Speaking of grumpiness, a lot of the "problem" seems to be generational.

Creators "of a certain age" are seeing all these young fans walking past their tables, not even giving them a sideways glance, because they're not there to see their stuff. The want to see the things that THEY are fans of. They have no nostalgia for stuff that came out before they were fans, but they have wonderful enthusiasm for WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW!
  • Options
    David_D said:

(I think I know what someone is getting for Christmas. . . )
    I'd love some comics based on Ron Goulart's novels. ^_^

• Options
    WetRats said:

Speaking of grumpiness, a lot of the "problem" seems to be generational.

Creators "of a certain age" are seeing all these young fans walking past their tables, not even giving them a sideways glance, because they're not there to see their stuff. The want to see the things that THEY are fans of. They have no nostalgia for stuff that came out before they were fans, but they have wonderful enthusiasm for WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW!

Yes and no...

My favorite comic series is Green Lantern/Green Arrow. I lost my shit when Denny O'Neil showed up at my most recent Wizard World Austin show. (Unfortunately Wizard is the biggest con down here, so I'm stuck with that)

I'm only 27. When I was at NYCC...let's see....2 years ago(?) I saw Joe Staton and spent a good deal of time talking to him. Dude barely had a table presence in as far as signs, things available for sale or anything.

But, I am sad to say I DID notice many people my own age just walk right on past Joe. I'll readily admit to my reason for stopping a Joes table being half healthy respect and half pity (because if so many people weren't paying attention to this great creator, I was going to do my darndest to make my time there worth at least 5 people stopping by)

To be fair though, I think any one of us here on the forums (regardless of age) is usually the exception to the rule when it comes to comic book fans. We participate far more in the discussion, history and dissection. So I suppose me being into classic comics and creators despite my age....doesn't really prove much of anything...
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The audiences have definitely changed. Fortunately that works to my advantage. If nobody knows who Mike Grell is (just as an example) it makes my job easier to get a commission or signature from him. :)
  • Options

To be fair though, I think any one of us here on the forums (regardless of age) is usually the exception to the rule when it comes to comic book fans. We participate far more in the discussion, history and dissection. So I suppose me being into classic comics and creators despite my age....doesn't really prove much of anything...

Grrr...

You beat me to pointing this out, you self-aware, reasonable whippersnapper!
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

The audiences have definitely changed. Fortunately that works to my advantage. If nobody knows who Mike Grell is (just as an example) it makes my job easier to get a commission or signature from him. :)

I think it's always been that way. When I was going to ChicagoCon in the 80's, the guys who worked in the 60's were being ignored for the Hot New Guys. There wasn't a line to talk to Jack Kirby, John Buscema, etc... Even we we had Curt Swan here in the early 90's, people were passing him by to get Dan Jurgens to sign Death of Superman comics. Our con has become a lot different, as the Silver and Bronze age guys have a solid market of people here willing to buy art. They may not have a lot of fans, but the ones they have drop big money.

As for not having a table presence: It's about marketing. You HAVE to Market yourself. The self publisher with a banner sign and lots of different price point items will outsell the guy who has a table with a stack of art, a sketch pad and credits from 20 years ago. It's just the way of things...it's not 1985 any more where people are automatically in awe of someone with a DC or Marvel credit.

Angel Medina shows up at our con every year (whether we want him or not....I KEED, I KEED!) and he makes a killing despite not having a high end Marvel or DC book in over ten years because he has signage, interacts with fans, has a lot of different things available and treats the convention like a job. Another artist of about the same caliber I won't name, shows up with a stack of his art from books he's drawn, uses the tag we use to tell him which table is his and bitches EVERY YEAR that the fans don't buy anything and it's a bad con.

You get out what you put in.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

I think it's always been that way. When I was going to ChicagoCon in the 80's, the guys who worked in the 60's were being ignored for the Hot New Guys. There wasn't a line to talk to Jack Kirby, John Buscema, etc... Even we we had Curt Swan here in the early 90's, people were passing him by to get Dan Jurgens to sign Death of Superman comics. Our con has become a lot different, as the Silver and Bronze age guys have a solid market of people here willing to buy art. They may not have a lot of fans, but the ones they have drop big money.

As for not having a table presence: It's about marketing. You HAVE to Market yourself. The self publisher with a banner sign and lots of different price point items will outsell the guy who has a table with a stack of art, a sketch pad and credits from 20 years ago. It's just the way of things...it's not 1985 any more where people are automatically in awe of someone with a DC or Marvel credit.

Angel Medina shows up at our con every year (whether we want him or not....I KEED, I KEED!) and he makes a killing despite not having a high end Marvel or DC book in over ten years because he has signage, interacts with fans, has a lot of different things available and treats the convention like a job. Another artist of about the same caliber I won't name, shows up with a stack of his art from books he's drawn, uses the tag we use to tell him which table is his and bitches EVERY YEAR that the fans don't buy anything and it's a bad con.

I think that’s true for the most part, but it’s not always the case. A few years back I was set up next to Al Feldstein at Heroes Con—a con that always had a good Golden/Silver Age creator presence. He wasn't in Artist Alley, he had a corner booth, big banner, nice table display, easels displaying his artwork, reasonably priced prints for the low-end, books fot the middle-range, and original art for the high-end. He was very personable whenever people came up to him, showed up half an hour before opening, stayed to the very end—the man was a con pro in every aspect. Plus he was Al Feldstein. But he had a lousy show. Sometimes it happens even when you do everything right.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

I think that’s true for the most part, but it’s not always the case. A few years back I was set up next to Al Feldstein at Heroes Con—a con that always had a good Golden/Silver Age creator presence. He wasn't in Artist Alley, he had a corner booth, big banner, nice table display, easels displaying his artwork, reasonably priced prints for the low-end, books fot the middle-range, and original art for the high-end. He was very personable whenever people came up to him, showed up half an hour before opening, stayed to the very end—the man was a con pro in every aspect. Plus he was Al Feldstein. But he had a lousy show. Sometimes it happens even when you do everything right.
    Couldn't agree more.

I loved Al...and he ain't hurting for money (at one point in the 70's he was the highest paidd editor in the world because he had points in MAD). Probably wasn't the con for him. In any business, you can do everything right and still fall flat.

It's a shame I never got to meet him and thank him for all of those EC books as well as MAD back when I liked it.
  • Options

Probably wasn't the con for him.

Well, not that year anyway. That’s the thing, though. If any con should have been the con for him, I would have thought it was Heroes Con—an artist-centric, Golden/Silver Age friendly show where lots of people buy artwork.
  • Options
    AxelBrass said:

I think that if a segment of my business was losing money, I'd stop wasting my efforts on it and spend my time on things that are profitable. This happens in every industry and you either adapt to the changes or you lose. It's that simple.

Go to cons that make you money. Stop going to ones that don't. Observe what is similar about the cons that you make money at. Go to more that match those similarities.

Observe how other are making money and emulate their practices.

Adapt. Adapt. Adapt.

For a lot of artists, cons make up 25-50% of their income that can’t really be made up in any other fashion. Add to that, a con that makes you money one year, may not make you money the next.

Also, most of the artists I know already do the things you suggest. They talk to each other about what items sell best at what shows. They know what they want to achieve, be it making contacts, building a fanbase, or simply making money, at each show. Some are just better at adjusting than others. Some artists, shocking as it may sound, just aren’t good salesmen and/or good businessmen, and never will be.
  • Options
    I think it was discussed on the podcast not to long ago that the real problem here is the cost of the con itself. I mean for a regular fan to go to a con it costs a lot of money. There's travel, which would perhaps cause time away from work, accommodations, food, and of course that isn't even getting to the actual cost of tickets which can be close to $80. Even smaller cons are getting more expensive.

So after spending all of that, and assuming you don't spend the outrageous prices for autographs, you have a little bit left over for original artwork, or comics. I was at NYCC a couple years ago and there was this amazing booth devoted to Jack Kirby. I wanted to buy something, but just couldn't afford it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited September 2014

Who has the scantly clad girls at his table every year? Is that Tom Nguyen? That can't hurt sales...
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Who has the scantly clad girls at his table every year? Is that Tom Nguyen? That can't hurt sales...
    I think so. Honestly, there have been a few people who do that over the years, and if it works, good for them, but many of the "models" look underage to me, so there's an aura of creepiness about it.

• Options
    "I shouted out 'who killed the comic-cons,' when after all, it was you and me. Woo, woo!"
    - "Sympathy for the Devil" - The Rolling Stones
  • Options

"I shouted out 'who killed the comic-cons,' when after all, it was you and me. Woo, woo!"
    - "Sympathy for the Devil" - The Rolling Stones

Wizard is looking to kill comic cons like they killed comics in 1992-1998. Gareb Shamus
    has done more damage to the industry than Fredrick Wertham.